Skip to content

Ranger/Cleric

hi,
i was thinking of building a Ranger/Cleric for my next run. so i was wondering when is the best time to dual class my ranger? i have BGEE2 too so high level isn't a problem.

Also, should i get any kits for my ranger?

Finally, what's the best weapon to specialize in for this combination?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I think levels 7 or 9 are the best - at the 7th level you get +0.5 APR, at the 9th level you get another proficiency point.

If you dual a ranger into a cleric, I don't think it's wise to be an archer. You can be a stalker for backstabbing fun but then you have to remeber clerics can't use swords so if you like backstabbing you should choose only clubs and staffs as your pips, also at levels 7 or 9 stalker's backstabbing powes are not good. You can be a beastmaster for a familiar but then you lose a chance to dual-wield flails.

So, I would choose just a vanilla ranger.

The best weapon i think is a flail. FoA is a powerful weapon and DoE is a good for your second hand. During BG1 you'll have to use ordinary flails +1 and then +2 but they're still fine. You can always put some points into a mace too - in BG1 there's a stunning mace wihile in BG2 there's a good mace against undead.
  • kinghunter74kinghunter74 Member Posts: 27
    i FoA is flail of the ages but whats DoE?
    also, should i consider hammer? IIRC, there is a hammer that can be forged in the docks in BG2 right?

Thanks again
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    FoA is Flail of Ages, right. It's a wonderful weapon, very big damage + elemental damage + slow on your enemy.

DoE is Defender of Easthaven +2 that gives you 20% resistance to slashing/piercing/blunt damage. Very useful for the charname.

The hammer you're talking about is Crom Faeyr that gives you 25 STR and can be forged for you by Cromwell for 10,000 GP and the Crom Faeyr Scroll, Hammer of Thunderbolts, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and a Girdle of Frost Giant Strength. I prefer flails - these gaulents and the girdle can be better used elsewhere (imho) and besides your ranger will have sufficient STR from clerical buffs.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Defender of Easthaven, a very good choice for your second hand.
    I would consider multi instead of dualling. A ranger-cleric (multi or dual) is melee type, and ranger's HLA are invaluables!!!
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

hi,
    i was thinking of building a Ranger/Cleric for my next run. so i was wondering when is the best time to dual class my ranger?

Don't dual class. If you play as an half-elf you can multi-class a Ranger/Cleric.

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Don't worry too much about your weapons... You can only allocate 2 pips in each, so you'll eventually have a really broad range.

If you are going to dual-class, stick with blunt weapons though, as any sharps will be lost forever when you switch.

Slings are your best option for ranged (although there are a couple of throwing hammers in bg2).
  • abacus said:

Slings are your best option for ranged (although there are a couple of throwing hammers in bg2).

There are a couple of throwing hammers, but one is Dwarf only and the other comes with an annoying side effect. Plus, Slings let you stack enhancement bonuses between the sling and the ammunition, so you'll probably get more damage out of them anyway.

I prefer multi-class to dual class, but if you dual class, I'll second Bengoshi's advice to stick with the vanilla ranger. One of the great things about ranger/clerics is their high tankiness, and all of the ranger kits take away your ability to wear plate armor.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You might have fun as a sling using Archer dualed to cleric, but I like less intuitive builds. You'd either want to dual at lvl 9, or 15 iirc, to get lots of those handy +1 to hit/damage, and when you boost your str via cleric buffs, you'll be dealing pretty devastating damage. Also, slings look cool, if a bit ridiculous. You can still dual wield when you melee.

Multi is more beastly at very high levels, but during SoA you likely will be stronger as the DC... matter of preference really. Cleric spells are really good if used aggressively for much of BG1, but you'll get those handy high level druid spells, so you end up pretty versatile.
    One of the advantages of playing a Ranger/Cleric is that they get full access to both the Druid and Cleric spell sets. They're the ultimate Divine caster. I'm playing one now in fact, though I went with a multi-class.
    Thanks for all the replies =D
    so multiclass is better than dual class for Ranger/cleric. for dual class, i lose HLA for rangers but i have more spells for cleric, right?
    so it sort of evens out =P
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Multiclass is better at lower levels, but dual class (ranger to cleric at lv 9) will leave you with enough XP to max out your spell levels at the end of the game. If you multi class you max out around level 22 cleric, while dual you can get up to level 39.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited September 2014

Thanks for all the replies =D
    so multiclass is better than dual class for Ranger/cleric. for dual class, i lose HLA for rangers but i have more spells for cleric, right?
    so it sort of evens out =P

It doesn't, though. The HLAs outweigh the extra spellcasting by a huge margin.
  • Cerevant said:

Multiclass is better at lower levels, but dual class (ranger to cleric at lv 9) will leave you with enough XP to max out your spell levels at the end of the game. If you multi class you max out around level 22 cleric, while dual you can get up to level 39.

The thing is, the difference between a level 22 Cleric and a level 39 Cleric is a handful of extra level 6th and 7th spells. Maybe this is just my personal boredom with high level divine spellcasting, but there's nothing at those high levels that outweighs the ability to wade in with a Critical Strike or Greater Whirlwind.

The one big advantage I'd give to the dual class is that you'll be able to muster a better Turn Undead level in mid/late SoA, which is admittedly very useful for trivializing some of those tough undead encounters.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Either dual or multi-class will work and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Honestly play whichever one you want because you'll still be extremely powerful either way.
    edited October 2014
    Just out of curiosity, what happens if I'm a fallen ranger when i dual class? do i stay fallen after i regain my ranger levels? O.o

Also, is it still possible for me to fall after i become ranger/cleric?
    Post edited by kinghunter74 on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

What happens if I'm a fallen ranger when i dual class? do i stay fallen after i regain my ranger levels? O.o

Also, is it still possible for me to fall after i become ranger/cleric?

I'm going to go with yes and yes.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Cerevant said:

That said, you can gain Ranger/Fighter HLA's by sticking to multi-classing, which is nothing to turn your nose to either. Ranger/Cleric multi-class is good for small parties anyway, so this only helps to benefit you. Dual classing's fine too, of course.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    So I guess Ranger/Cleric still get the full divine spellbook in the EEs? Is there a mod that correct that? I like the concept of multiclassed ranger since the warrior is usually better when dualed, and i believe R/C is the only ranger multi? But i always felt hella bad about abusing the game so much. I mean, there's a reason why Cleric don't get insect plague and natures beauty.
    Chnapy said:

So I guess Ranger/Cleric still get the full divine spellbook in the EEs?

In the BG games they do, but in IWD they only get the Druid spells they would normally be entitled to as a pure Ranger. There is however an ini setting that allows you to set them to the BG standard.

@Chnapy In IWDEE the C/R works as intended.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403

@Chnapy In IWDEE the C/R works as intended.

Just to clarify, the R/C works as intended in Baldur's Gate as well.
    @RAM021 Are you sure? I believe instant access to all druid spells is an oversight, not WAI.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Whether it was working as originally intended is unclear, but I'm pretty sure the Beamdog folks have said that maintaining the original functionality (access to all priest spells) was their intention.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The original way ranger/clerics work is now a preference in Baldur.ini, at least in IWDEE and the latest BG2EE patch as well. You can choose the classic behavior or the correct one where the ranger/cleric does not get all druid spells.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403

@RAM021 Are you sure? I believe instant access to all druid spells is an oversight, not WAI.

Yes, Bioware originally stated that how it was was intended due to engine limitations.