Skip to content

Best Melee Solo

Comments

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited February 2015
    CField17 said:

I didnt think cavalier could use ranged? Is throwing axe the exception?

That and the thrown hammer. This is probably because it is also a melee weapon.

As for best in-slot items, I wouldn't go with Red Dragon Scale but instead with White Dragon Scale or later on, Shuruppak's Plate. WDS gives better AC, and 3 castings of Cone Of Cold per day. You can get only get them in ToB, so RDS will do in SoA.

As for gauntlets/bracers, Gauntlets of Dexterity or Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization.

As for cloak, you need Cloak Of Mirroring(City of Caverns) or Cloak of the Lich (EE cloak).

Helmets are more of a question of what you need. Helm of Balduran is solid all-round, Helm of the Rock gives all elemental resistances, Helm of Brilliance gives some castings of Prismatic Spray and Sunray (and a third spell which I don't remember...) and Vhailor's Helm (EE helm) gives a casting of Simulacrum.

Best weapon is debatable although FoA is generally accepted as the best 1-handed weapon. (I don't agree) Defender of Easthaven, Crom Faeyr, Runehammer, Mace of Disruption +2 and Storm Star are also good choices for a cleric. As a F/C multi, you will have plenty of points to go around, so you can change weapons according to your needs. As you are a solo, you could also go with Club Of Detonation. No need to worry about party members getting caught in the blast. :smiley:

Edit: Forgot rings.. If you use FoA +5, Ring of Free Action is redundant. Instead, go with Ring of Fire Control or Ring of Regeneration. Clerics also get a holy symbol of their given deity, Lathander, Helm or Talos, when they reach lvl 25 but as a multi, it will take you a while to get there.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovBaron_Bathory
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    How about a Stalker,it has stealth,backstabs and traps?
    Baron_Bathory
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Assuming arcane is off-limits, taking potentially powerful classes such as Blade out of the equation;

A keepered swashie/cleric would indeed be powerful, as someone mentioned above, but is "illegal". You seem to play failry straight up, so I assume you prefer legit CHARNAME's.

I concur on playing a F/C. You will be able to do pretty much anything (you'll be the king of buffs). R/C will let you stealth so you can scout ahead and plan your strategies, but there are other ways to do that, ie sanctuary.

On a side-note, considering you enjoy Sorc so much; have you played a tank sorc? They can be specced for frontline combat and may give you a different experience then the way you normally play them.

Have fun!
    BlackravenBaron_Bathory
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    For single class melee:
    the best all-around would be a Berserker: GM, immunity to every insta-death spells
    Dwarven defenders are the best for physical damage resistance but are more vulnerable to save or else spells.
    Paladins rock once they get access to carsomyr but do not compare with DD and berserker before that IMO.

The issue with solo single class meleer is that they can get quite boring since they have very little options to play with.

For multi/duals, whatever you take would end up totally OP.
    BlackravenBaron_Bathory
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Skatan said:

A keepered swashie/cleric would indeed be powerful, as someone mentioned above, but is "illegal". You seem to play failry straight up, so I assume you prefer legit CHARNAME's.

Not so much 'illegal' as an engine limitation. The split is fully supported by the PnP rules.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

No backstabs for Stalkers, but otherwise an interesting kit imo for a solo.
    Wouldn't consider them the 'best' melee solo, as in most powerful.
    Baron_Bathory
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    RAM021 said:

Not so much 'illegal' as an engine limitation. The split is fully supported by the PnP rules.

Even 2E rules?
    Baron_Bathory
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I see a big option lacking here. Ranger/Cleric multiclass (Or dual if you want it, but I prefer the multi) I mean, c'mon. It's amazing. It's better than the Fighter/Cleric multi in almost every way. I mean really. Name one way in which the F/C is superior to the R/C. R/C has the same melee abilities, combined with every divine spell in the game, druidic and clerical. I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my vote's for R/C, especially if you want to play a divine magic user. Dual wielding FoA and the Crom Faeyr or some other solid off-hand blunt weapon results in a monster.
    Baron_BathoryRAM021
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Errr ... oh yes they can backstab. They're the only non-Thief class which can backstab, and they're the best backstabbers in the game, in spite of a lower multiplier than a Thief, because (unlike Thieves) a Stalker normally has a good enough THAC0 that he can actually hit the target fairly often.

I don't tend to bother with backstab much with Thieves, because it's so often a useless miss. When I've got a Stalker with me, I'm much more inclined to take the trouble to set up the backstab, both because it's more likely to hit and because afterwards (if the target is still standing) a Stalker can then stand his ground and switch to melee, instead of having to duck for cover like a Thief.
    RAM021JuliusBorisovBaron_Bathory
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    @Elrandir,
    with the latest patch is that the R/C does not get the full druidic spell list like they used to : now they get only the ones which are accessible as a ranger. So they miss all level 4 to 7 drudic spells. This sucks a lot since druids get really good spells at these levels.

For that reason, a fighter/cleric dual is superior in everyway to a ranger/cleric dual (better kits, GM).

For the multi FC or RC it's more a matter of taste : the ranger will have stealth and a few useless spells while the fighter will level up faster.
    Baron_Bathory
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @mumumomo I don't anyone is suggesting R->C dual; the real choice is between R/C multi and F->C dual.
    Baron_Bathory
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited February 2015
    Elrandir said:

I see a big option lacking here. Ranger/Cleric multiclass (Or dual if you want it, but I prefer the multi) I mean, c'mon. It's amazing. It's better than the Fighter/Cleric multi in almost every way. I mean really. Name one way in which the F/C is superior to the R/C. R/C has the same melee abilities, combined with every divine spell in the game, druidic and clerical. I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my vote's for R/C, especially if you want to play a divine magic user. Dual wielding FoA and the Crom Faeyr or some other solid off-hand blunt weapon results in a monster.

My R/C multi does not have any druid spells, is this some kind of bug? Whereas as dualing gives me the full list of spells.

And @mumumomo , what do mean useless? Entangle is pretty awesome combined with FoA +5. You can move around as you wish whereas enemies will get stuck.
    BlackravenBaron_Bathory
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

Errr ... oh yes they can backstab. They're the only non-Thief class which can backstab, and they're the best backstabbers in the game, in spite of a lower multiplier than a Thief, because (unlike Thieves) a Stalker normally has a good enough THAC0 that he can actually hit the target fairly often.

I don't tend to bother with backstab much with Thieves, because it's so often a useless miss. When I've got a Stalker with me, I'm much more inclined to take the trouble to set up the backstab, both because it's more likely to hit and because afterwards (if the target is still standing) a Stalker can then stand his ground and switch to melee, instead of having to duck for cover like a Thief.
    Whoops, I meant traps hehe. Sorry :)
    JuliusBorisovBaron_Bathory
    Wait... They changed that? I thought they were only changing it in IWD:EE. That's bullsh**.

RAM021 said:

Even 2E rules?
    Yes. Obviously the only rule-set that matters in these discussions.
    Baron_Bathory
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Elrandir said:

Wait... They changed that? I thought they were only changing it in IWD:EE. That's bullsh**.

the r/c business with rrespect to druid spells? I believe they made it togglable in the game options (ini).

BlackravenBaron_Bathory
    Toggleable? Huh. Well that's alright. As long as it's not an outright change. It's a pain to change game settings on an ipad.
    BlackravenBaron_Bathory
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I mentioned ini file so I don't know how well that is moddableon ipad :$. I'm fairly certain I saw this in the thread about hidden new features for bg2 when the patch was in beta (also things like hof-like mode and 3e backstab were in there). You'll have to look around which is actually the default setting.
    Blackraven
    RAM021 said:

Referring to PnP rules in a thread clearly about the game BG2EE adds nothing of value.
  • Baron_BathoryBaron_Bathory Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2015
    Wow!!! Quite the discussion. I can't believe how helpful and non-toxic this community is. Coming from the battle.net forums... well yeah you get the picture. Between WoW and HoTS I feel like I'm in a BPD clinic half the time.

I forgot which one of you mentioned difficulty mods such as SCSII, I'll most definitely get to that. I just feel I have a tad bit more to go from a knowledge perspective before I get into that. I wanna solo with almost every class at least once.

Getting back to the Fighter/Cleric Multi. It's going really well so far. Think I'm 11/11 right now and he's turning into quite the little power house. Anyone know what HLA's I should take. From what I'm reading Hardiness and GWW seem like the ultimate fighter abilities. How about on the cleric side? Anything besides Deva?

For some reason I'm worrying in advance re: ravager and melissan. Still on SoA, but I know each fight is fairly simple with a little wiggling. Anyone have tactics for these badasses? Or will simply buffs work? Also for Mellissan, no wish resting :( Should I be conserving certain spells?

One last note, I can't seem to damage Gaxx fast enough with sling of everrard, and I wanted to do him before spellhold meaning no crom faer yet. I cant hit him with FoA + DoE. This leaves my options a little limited. I usually walk in with Protection from Undead. Kill his liche form, he says some crap about his true from. Then to initiate the final dialog I use Protection from Magic scroll. I damage him way too slowly with sling. He ends up getting to barely injured and then regenerating. I wonder if I should try the staff of rynn?

Thanks a bunch for everything!

***EDIT***
    Cancel the Gaxx question, got him with Staff of Rynn.
    Post edited by Baron_Bathory on
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovArduljoluv
    Skatan said:

RAM021 said:

Referring to PnP rules in a thread clearly about the game BG2EE adds nothing of value.
    Last time we checked, in this very thread even, the game in question by and large uses PnP rules.

If you do not wish to be corrected, then ensure what you are posting is in fact correct. There is nothing "illegal" about a Swashbuckler/Cleric - not only is it a valid split, but the game actually is capable of supporting it.

If you wanted to argue that it was not a possible split without editing or modding, you would not have needed correcting.

Leave the morality in the game.
    Baron_Bathory
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The biggest advantage, perhaps the ONLY advantage a Fighter Cleric multi has over a Ranger Cleric multi is availability of shorty saves. Dwarf F/C is pretty indestructible in BG1 already with those rock bottom saves, and has 19 cons. You can use DUHM to pretty much offset the Claw for some pretty safe saves pretty early, though a no-reload should be wary of anything but negative saves ofc.

I would say at higher levels the RC multi starts really picking up due to its spell availability peculiarity of getting Druid spells.

Beastmaster to Cleric was a funny build back in the day, though its a tedius dual, and you are very restricted weapon-wise. I liked DWing Staffmaces iirc, but clubs are great in SoA, while staves hit superhard late game. The big payout, such as it is, was having a limitless supply of meatshields. The animal summons can take quite a beating, though they'll be kinda worthless later game. Sling Archer to Cleric is probably stronger, and Stalker to Cleric is a better solo.
    BlackravenCField17RAM021
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The biggest advantage, perhaps the ONLY advantage a Fighter Cleric multi has over a Ranger Cleric multi is availability of shorty saves. Dwarf F/C is pretty indestructible in BG1 already with those rock bottom saves, and has 19 cons. You can use DUHM to pretty much offset the Claw for some pretty safe saves pretty early, though a no-reload should be wary of anything but negative saves ofc.

I would say at higher levels the RC multi starts really picking up due to its spell availability peculiarity of getting Druid spells.

Beastmaster to Cleric was a funny build back in the day, though its a tedius dual, and you are very restricted weapon-wise. I liked DWing Staffmaces iirc, but clubs are great in SoA, while staves hit superhard late game. The big payout, such as it is, was having a limitless supply of meatshields. The animal summons can take quite a beating, though they'll be kinda worthless later game. Sling Archer to Cleric is probably stronger, and Stalker to Cleric is a better solo.
    RAM021
    RAM021 said:

Last time we checked, in this very thread even, the game in question by and large uses PnP rules.

If you do not wish to be corrected, then ensure what you are posting is in fact correct. There is nothing "illegal" about a Swashbuckler/Cleric - not only is it a valid split, but the game actually is capable of supporting it.

If you wanted to argue that it was not a possible split without editing or modding, you would not have needed correcting.

True, the game is based in AD&D 2E, have I said anything to counter that fact? No.

I never said the combo is illegal, I said it is "illegal". The quoation marks is there to show the reader the duality of that term; the game does not in it's vanilla state offer you that option, thus if you choose to create such a char anyways, you are indeed bending the rules, ergo you are "cheating".

Where did I argue about this split not being possible? You seem to have read in an awful lot in a post that short. If you feel the need to correct people, then please do so, but make sure they are actually stating something incorrect first or else you will just end up looking like a douche.

I leave morality to each person to decide for themselves. If someone asks for advice and that person not explicitly says he/she wants to create either legit or illegit (game rules) chars, I will point out if the advice, my own or someone elses, is indeed supported by the vanilla game or not. Hence, I leave the "moral" choice to them and do not take a stance in that matter. You should do the same.

Skatan said:

RAM021 said:

True, the game is based in AD&D 2E, have I said anything to counter that fact? No.

I never said the combo is illegal, I said it is "illegal". The quoation marks is there to show the reader the duality of that term; the game does not in it's vanilla state offer you that option, thus if you choose to create such a char anyways, you are indeed bending the rules, ergo you are "cheating".

Where did I argue about this split not being possible? You seem to have read in an awful lot in a post that short. If you feel the need to correct people, then please do so, but make sure they are actually stating something incorrect first or else you will just end up looking like a douche.

I leave morality to each person to decide for themselves. If someone asks for advice and that person not explicitly says he/she wants to create either legit or illegit (game rules) chars, I will point out if the advice, my own or someone elses, is indeed supported by the vanilla game or not. Hence, I leave the "moral" choice to them and do not take a stance in that matter. You should do the same.

Yes, you just whined that discussing 2E rules "adds nothing of value."
    Skatan said:

Cheating in in single player is a subjective issue based upon YOUR moral imperative. You also seem to be under the mistaken impression that improper quotations allow you to flippantly throw around misinformation. Indeed, despite your 'assumption' Bathory is already running fixpacks.
    Skatan said:

Assuming arcane is off-limits,
    so I assume you prefer legit CHARNAME's.

Leave the morality in the game and you will look like less of a douche; stop assuming and you will stop being an ass.
    edited March 2015
    RAM021 said:

Yes, you just whined that discussing 2E rules "adds nothing of value."

So, merely stating an opinion is by your definition "whining"*? In that case your entire post is one huge whining from someone I assume** felt his ego being targeted.
    RAM021 said:

Cheating in in single player is a subjective issue based upon YOUR moral imperative. You also seem to be under the mistaken impression that improper quotations allow you to flippantly throw around misinformation. Indeed, despite your 'assumption' Bathory is already running fixpacks.

Define misinformation: Does the game in it's vanilla form allow for swashie/cleric combos, yes or no? No, it doesn't. That's merely what I wrote, nothing more, nothing less.

I assume things based upon what I read, I don't know anyone in here or what modpacks they have installed.
    RAM021 said:

Leave the morality in the game and you will look like less of a douche; stop assuming and you will stop being an ass.

Can I assume you enjoy to troll these forums, looking for excuses to start ridiculous flamewars in order to measure the length of your e-penis vs others? It sure seems that way, and it sure seems like you have a huge one. Now go stroke it and regain your calmness. I'm out of this thread.

Cheers.

* Is it ok with you that I use quotation marks this way? I'm sorry if you are offended by that.
    ** Pun intented.
    Seriously. @RAM021 @Skatan Stop it.
    Baron_BathoryGotural
  • Baron_BathoryBaron_Bathory Member Posts: 46
    @RAM021 @Skatan

To somewhat try and clear this up, let me post my 2 cents on the topic as you are both obviously incredibly knowledgeable and seemingly quite ardent.

As stated earlier, I use the original game, the official ToB patch, the G3 fixpack and most recently thanks you awesome people, the G3 tweak pack.

As Skatan stated, I do like to play fairly straight up. I use the G3 mods however because I trust that incredible community to mod in a way that was intended by the original game developers. I know that added classes that are supported by AD&D and the infinity engine are perfectly acceptable, I just don't think they are needed by virtue of the fact that 90% of classes in this game are insanely overpowered. Why fix what is not broken?

I just feel that there isn't enough to be had from classes that weren't included in the game that I can't get from classes that were included in the game. That doesn't mean that I think added classes are cheating, I just don't feel I need them.

To me, if it's supported by infinity, supported by the AD&D version that this game is based off of, and supported logically; then it's completely and 100% fair. I just probably won't use it because I don't feel the need.

Sorry for initiating a war, you guys both bring up great points but there is no reason to argue over this.

Gotural