Skip to content

Good Forums...

13»

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @reedmilfam I've already taken part in one of those, thanks! There's a reason why the hackneyed role of a woman in the party is the "Staff Chick", i.e. cleric. Because we are supposed to take care of everyone and tend their wounds and heal them... BLARGH! Sorry, I couldn't stop myself from being sick to my stomach. As a woman, I find that attitude awfully... limiting at best. Xena, Warrior Princess for me.
    DragonspearJalily
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @LadyRhian Hrm. Maybe the 'staff chick' is balancing out the Sharr-Teel that causes all of those injuries! I was in some of those and, if you remembered, I tried to throw water onto the fire. Problem with that is that trolls regenerate and I put out the fire, so... Anybody have some spare HCl (hydrochloric acid when combined with water)?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Give me a straw and a cup of water and I will give you some very weak acid.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

For the most part, I agree. Still, some people wanting to push personal values into BG land and getting offended when others differ with them. Particularly if religion, sex, race or gender come up. Anybody for the 'women shouldn't be warriors' thread that comes up if you mention femmes in any way shape or form? No? Good!

I think that BG fans are a little different than other demographics, really. D&D is a game that is more based on ideas and imagination of players, and always has been. Discourse about the game and what the rules mean, etc, makes it different, too. I would attribute the atmosphere of the forums more to that than some 'we're nice here and other forums aren't'.

Religion/sex/race/gender discussions aren't really all that safe anywhere at all on the internet though. As for the "women shouldn't be warriors" threads I saw one of those on here recently and it made me bash my head into the keyboard since it wasn't realistic. Unlike dragons, magic and half-gods huh. Some people...

I remember the old Bioware NWN forums being quite unpleasant at times and that's D&D too... so I'm not convinced that's the factor making this place pleasant. Doesn't really matter what does it though, better to just enjoy it :)
    reedmilfamDragonspear
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @SilverStar Well said, friend. Gorion would be proud of your actions...
    ...This party could use better leadership...
    Dragonspear
  • NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
    @Silverstar: I did not see much that was objectionable in that discussion.

My (and many others) main contention in that thread was that wanting female character portraits to present women in realistic medieval armor was foolish.

The notion that having a 90 pound super model as a warrior is okay- so long as she is properly attired in full plate- seems internally inconsistent. Realism went out the window a long time ago.
    Anduine
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Abort! Abort!
    DragonspearMoomintrollTr_ond
    My RPG Character Lorianne Areen: http://LadyRhianwriter.deviantart.com/art/Not-mine-Lorianne-Areen-323033248

Check out the size of her thighs... (Character has 18/98 Strength). She's also an archer, which is why she needs her arms free. She's not a 90lb supermodel.
    DragonspearJalily
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    These forums cannot even be compared to Diablo 3. The community is large, but not overflowing. The support team clearly cares about this site, and while there are flames and trolls, it's nowhere near as bad as nearly every other forum I've been on.
    Moomintroll
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

@Silverstar: I did not see much that was objectionable in that discussion.

My (and many others) main contention in that thread was that wanting female character portraits to present women in realistic medieval armor was foolish.

The notion that having a 90 pound super model as a warrior is okay- so long as she is properly attired in full plate- seems internally inconsistent. Realism went out the window a long time ago.

Let's not start another such debate which will only evolve into blatant sexism and insults from both sides, okay?
    AnduineMoomintrollDragonspearJalily
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud: Interesting that a debate starts in a thread made to compliment these forums. Perhaps the debate would be better served in a private message conversation.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud Then let me just drop a funny, slightly related video when it comes to women in fantasy games on here. (Related only by title, you see).

I hope it gives everyone some amusement.
    MoomintrollDragonspearTr_ond
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    edited August 2012
    @LadyRhian Most problems can be solved with Flight of the Conchords, if singing and comedy fails, there`s always Business time.
    Post edited by Tr_ond on
    Anduine said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud: Interesting that a debate starts in a thread made to compliment these forums. Perhaps the debate would be better served in a private message conversation.

@ Anduine: Don't blame me for something @NancyButtPeach started. I'm not 'starting anything, on the contrary, my post clearly states I wouldn't want this topic to degrade into one or the other heated debate. Stop insinuating I'm the one stirring up trouble here, please. Thanks.
  • NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
    I am not stirring up trouble either...

• neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    How I as non-native English speaker feel about stirring up trouble:

http://i.imgur.com/szetZ.jpg
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    neur0 said:

How I as non-native English speaker feel about stirring up trouble:

http://i.imgur.com/szetZ.jpg

In your native culture, the color white means trouble?
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93

These are the nicest forums I've been on, and the customer service from Beamdog has been excellent. [...]

Words of truth, friend!
    It seems the reason lies within the age of most of the users here. Back in the days when BG came out most of us were youngsters, nowadays the majority seems to be adult.
    Also, I guess there aren`t many reasons to compete with each other, so no nerdragers or elitists show up and insult each other.
    I think we`re all just happy that Baldurs Gate Enhanced is being developed and that it will bring back old memories. Well, it`s a heartwarming feeling to have all you people here who still enjoy and love the Forgotten Realms :)

Anyway, a big thanks to all you people who take part in the forums, together we will revive the Baldurs Gate series and bring them back to their former glory! :)

Oh, I almost forgot to say:
    Dear developers and forum admins, THANK YOU for this great forum! I just uploaded an avatar pic and when I recieved the badge shortly afterwards, I realized that it is a small little spell icon from the Baldurs Gate series! This is so awesome, it brings back old memories! <3

Akuro
    CCarluNNMoomintroll

Anduine said:

@ Anduine: Don't blame me for something @NancyButtPeach started. I'm not 'starting anything, on the contrary, my post clearly states I wouldn't want this topic to degrade into one or the other heated debate. Stop insinuating I'm the one stirring up trouble here, please. Thanks.

Where did this come from? I'm not blaming you for anything that anyone said, and you will note that I agreed with you and your complimenting these forums.

I never once stated or implied that you are starting anything, and my post clearly displayed my agreeing with you by mentioning that it would perhaps be best if the current debate be moved to private messaging. I'm not sure why you feel the need to be defensive towards me when I agreed with you in both of my posts, and showed some interest/surprise in how a thread complimenting the forums now has a debate going on.
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    This looks like a gathering place for old people , reminiscent about good ole days and one of few places where 30 something are called youngsters . :p
    Dragonspear
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    odee said:

This looks like a gathering place for old people , reminiscent about good ole days and one of few places where 30 something are called youngsters . :p

Maybe the game's demographic has always been older people. The PC even starts out with a walking stick... clever of them to make people feel young by calling it a quarterstaff!
    LadyRhianDragonspear
    @Alduine: Nevermind, ok. I'm not in the mood for discussions. Just nevermind.

@Alduine: Nevermind, ok. I'm not in the mood for discussions. Just nevermind.

??? I've gone from misunderstanding to entirely confused.

Tr_ond
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    Happened quite often , lost that train of thought , have to go back to the starting station . Whut do you expect , most here are in their 60s & 70s. :D
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    You mean these are not my retirement house's forums? These damn computer thingies are too hard to understand....
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    How awesome is that when you post something, there are red dots to show you where you have made a mistake?! I Never noticed that before.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    edited September 2012
    @Zafiro Built inn spell checks makes my posts intelligible, so i`m a fan.