Skip to content

Saladrex is kicking my butt

I'm not sure what it is but Saladrex seems a whole lot harder than I remember. I've got him near death a time or two but that's it. I can't seem to get past him. I've got Neera constantly using a spell strike wand while the rest go to town. I'm using summons, traps (delayed damage on the traps...odd), haste, some buffs etc...Not sure what to do. Any tips?

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Try some arrows of biting after a greater malison/doom. Run him around while Mazzy or whoever fires away.

... or you could cheese him with instant kills/harm.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I just used standard dragon tactics. Put my tanky guys on the sides of him so they wouldn't get knocked back too far, had my PC Cleric/Mage keep stripping his protections as fast as possible, Hexxat firing with Gesen, Viconia alternating between damage spells and mass curing magic. As long as I could keep him from focusing on a weak character for too long, he couldn't do much.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    My monk took him down solo back in vBG2. Wasn't too hard. Kinda helped that I had Aerie in a corner to cast the old form of greater restoration when my monk got low on HP. Greater restoration would hit the whole party back then you know...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Tresset said:

My monk took him down solo back in vBG2. Wasn't too hard. Kinda helped that I had Aerie in a corner to cast the old form of greater restoration when my monk got low on HP. Greater restoration would hit the whole party back then you know...

Yeah I just got Viconia up to Level 14 and was like "alright time to use Greater Restoration ... wait why do I have to target a specific person ... oh no please don't tell me that ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    get the dragon blinded and the battle can only go downhill (for the mighty Saladrex)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    As a side note, that's one horrible name for a dragon. But maybe he just loves his salads with T-Rex flocks?
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    The ultimate dragon killing tactic: Mordenkainen's Sword. Unless the dragon in question has Death Spell available, he/she can't harm Mordenkainen's Sword at all, so it can tank him the whole fight.

It's super cheesy, but it works.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Tresset said:

Ah shit... there goes one of the most useful spells in the game.

• bhudspatbhudspat Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Moczo said:

Awong124 said:

Saladrex sounds like an anti-depression drug or something.

Saladrex may cause gaping wounds, third-degree burns, crushed bones, and dry mouth. Elves who are pregnant or wish to become pregnant should be placed near the back of the party when using Saladrex. Please consult your cleric to determine if Saladrex is right for you.
    LMAO, I signed up just to say that!
    Post edited by bhudspat on
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @bhudspat A necromancer has joined the forum! Welcome!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Feeblemind works on all dragons. It's my go-to option and has a very high success rate. If the dragon casts heal when low on health, then the Feeblemind can be removed, but Feeblemind will still give you a marvelous headstart even then.
    Heindrich said:

@bhudspat A necromancer has joined the forum! Welcome!

Thank You sir
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited March 2015
    I use feeblemind like semiticgod mentioned. It works great on firecrag and saladrex. The other dragons have a decent chance of not being effected by it but when you get to the other dragons you are high enough level to summon some creatures and brute force them with your tanks while mages do their best to cripple. The first 2 dragons can be run across when you are pretty low level and feeblemind seems to work pretty much everytime on them as a means to work past them if you like to take them out when you first cross pathes like I do.

I usually push a few lower magic resistance spells and a feeble mind. Then I unload all of my missile spells while my tanks rush in for the beat down. Works even on insane with improved SCS dragons.
    I can't seem to beat the bastard, I get him to near death and he doesn't die, also what is his AC -100 I have an all evil party with Kadgan, hexxat, viconia dorn and a thief assassin and no one seems to hit him and he runs around like a juggernaut randomly laying waste so its hard to get a strategy to defeat him
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    Tresset said:

So on top of not being a useful post for the one asking the question, you 'solo' with someone healing you =).

OT: I usually throw out a few summons(skeletons mostly, or celestials/mordekaisers sword if you have them) who can soak up damage first while your frontline whacks at him and casters disable him with breach and the like much like you do. It helps if the frontline is hasted so you can have them run back to the healer when needed. As far as I remember he was mostly fire based so fire protection spells/fire resistance could help too. And the suggestions in the earlier comments like lower resistance + damage spells (magic missiles usually work ok if you have a lot of them and higher damage spells)

I hope you'll manage next time!
    Thanks dude
    Well got him on my second try this morning, Edwin cast several dispel defensive spells and my skeleton warriors rushed him along with Korgan and Dorn, lost my whole party except for main character and Korgan then my Main Character somehow struck two lucky shots and killed him, I was almost in disbelief when the F^*%'er went down
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmmm. I don't usually tackle that level of WK until early-ToB. With a ToB-level party, it's feasible just to charge Saladrex and hack him down, not much tactics required.

If you're tackling Saladrex with a low-level party (as I assume must be the case), then obviously it'll be much harder ... I think my best advice is simply "don't do it", because clearing out WK early in the game will give you so much XP that the rest of SoA will be boringly easy. My second best advice, since you say that "no one seems to hit him", is that this is the game's way of telling you that your party isn't ready for this until you've found some better weapons.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

As a side note, that's one horrible name for a dragon. But maybe he just loves his salads with T-Rex flocks?

sell-a-dreck(s)
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited March 2015
    oops sorry, I got saladrex mixed up with draconis. My above method was for the first two dragons you encounter. It won't work dependably on the other dragons because you are supposed to be more powerful when you reach them. I would wait until later in the game like Gallowglass suggested. You could try greater malison followed up by feeblemind but it's not really a dependable method. It may work or it may not depending on how lucky the dragon's rolls are. In my experience it can be really hard to get feeblemind to work on the stronger dragons of the game.
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 453
    Maylander wrote: »
    The ultimate dragon killing tactic: Mordenkainen's Sword. Unless the dragon in question has Death Spell available, he/she can't harm Mordenkainen's Sword at all, so it can tank him the whole fight.

It's super cheesy, but it works.

I was really pleased to find this post. I thought, "Hey, I have Mordenkainen's Sword!" so I summoned two of them before the fight and Saladrex killed both instantly.

So I just made six spike traps and lured him into them. Problem solved.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited July 2020
    On a recent playthrough Saladrex was a load harder than I remembered but the feeblemind method worked
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Saladrex always shoves my face in. Yet I keep forgetting this fact every time I reach him. I always expect him to be the level of other dragons in the game.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Saladrex always shoves my face in. Yet I keep forgetting this fact every time I reach him. I always expect him to be the level of other dragons in the game.

Yup. He's in WK, which is technically ToB content. I always leave him be for RP reasons, though. He may be a pompous jerk, but he actually does help the party and doesn't attack them on sight. He may not be a "good" dragon, but like the deep gnomes of the Underdark, he doesn't necessarily need to be killed either.
  • Feeblemind works on all dragons. It's my go-to option and has a very high success rate. If the dragon casts heal when low on health, then the Feeblemind can be removed, but Feeblemind will still give you a marvelous headstart even then.

This worked for me, but since my aerie has really fast casting time, and I needed to Pierce saladrexs magic with imoen, I had to time it perfectly so the Pierce magic landed right before the feeble mind and took away the magic resistance. Took a couple of tries but I got it at one point.
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 250
    I cast time stop with my kensai->mage upon entering his lair and proceeded to kill him before it expired.
  • yoshimiyumyoshimiyum Member Posts: 1
    Moczo wrote: »
    Saladrex may cause gaping wounds, third-degree burns, crushed bones, and dry mouth. Elves who are pregnant or wish to become pregnant should be placed near the back of the party when using Saladrex. Please consult your cleric to determine if Saladrex is right for you.

this is one of the best things i have ever read