Skip to content

This has to be the best party possible

I have put a ton of time into BGEE so I feel I can say this with confidence. This is by far the best party I've yet used, and my Steam playtime is through the roof - so this is saying a lot.

Just so you know I am not some noob rattling off.

This is my character, a blackguard named Mordeth, pronounced More Death - seemed appropriate seeing as how he's a bhaalspawn. He's no savior, just Mordeth ;).

Oh, I finished the game so he has all the tomes in case anyone wonders. I have played through this game at least 20 times.

Here is the party:

Bhaalspawn, DARTS, Halberds (+6 Ravager to come, I will give Sarevok something else), and two handed style
Dorn, two handed swords, crossbows, two handed style
Shar Teel dueld to Thief at level 6 (finishing 6-9 fighter thief), everything in longswords and two-weapon fighting
Viconia w/ ogre gauntlets (Shar Teel has mastery gauntlets)
Baeloth w/ evermemory
Edwin w/ evermemory

TOO EASY. EVEN MAX DIFFICULTY. I have had the game be easy before but never this easy. Having two arcane casters really make a big difference, Dorn's a hoss, and a 6/9 Shar Teel is just unbelievably SOLID.

I honestly don't know what the strength of this party is. My two Blackguards, one using darts w/ poison weapon and the other crossbows, Shar Teel with the ungodly backstabs souped up on strength pots, or the two best casters in the game on one team.

I challenge ANYONE to name a better party (not counting my protagonist as everyone should favor their own).

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Playing SCS?
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    You can destroy the vanilla game in so many ways that it's kind of a difficult to discuss, not knowing any ramifications or rules within which to talk about the "best" party.

If we're talking about a full 6 man powergaming party using NPCs, I guess the best way is to just have 6 archers or 1 tank + 5 archers. In BG1, Divine and Arcane magic are unnecessary, as is having a Thief (just avoid/tank/protect yourself from traps and bash/cast Knock on containers/doors you want to open). The way to accomplish that with NPCs would be to have:

- Kagain as a tank - with dexterity gauntlets and the 19 str belt from Rasaad's questline, he is a monster
    - Elf Archer Charname
    - Coran
    - Kivan
    - Make an archer out of Shar-Teel and Dorn (or Khalid) - getting to level 3 for the first proficiency point is really fast and even before that, using weapons they're not proficient with is not a big deal for Fighters. Or you can just melee with them until you get 1-2 proficiency points.

At your disposal are Composite Longbow +1, Dead Shot (Longbow of Marksmanship), Protector of the Dryads (shortbow +2), The Army Scythe (Light Crossbow of Speed) and some cool darts.

Use the tome of dexterity on Dorn or Coran - there is no ranged thac0 difference between 17-18 dex, and 19-20 dex. Dorn going from 16 to 17 would gain +1 thac0, same with Coran going from 20 to 21.
    Use the tome of constitution on Kagain for even more hp (21 con gives a +6 bonus = 16 hp per level).

You end up with:
    1. A self-healing tank (the regeneration from 20+ con will allow him to fully heal up between areas) with the most hp attainable in game (1d10+6), outstanding saving throws ("shorty saves" +5 bonus with 18+ con), great AC and 19 str just to make him even more insane.
    2. Immense firepower provided by 5 competent ranged attackers to annihilate anything that would stand in your way. You also have Dorn's abilities (mainly poison weapon), you can easily interrupt casters, kite if necessary or use Dorn as an off-tank in melee.
    3. I guess the added bonus of this party is that ultimately you have a Thief in Coran for disarming traps in Durlag's Tower, if you want to do that place.

Of course, the gameplay of such party would mostly involve little besides left-click + watch, but we're not talking about the most interesting team to play.

If you really want a Cleric you can go with Yeslick for tank, I guess, or create a better dwarf/half-orc Fighter/Cleric Charname and make an archer out of Montaron/Khalid.
    If you really want a Mage, swap Khalid/Shar-Teel for a late dualed Imoen. She is probably best, because she can at least use the Protector of the Dryads + Bracers of Archery + has better Thief thac0 + has 18 dex = she can contribute some damage during fights in between casting spells.

That's a really cool portrait, by the way.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    SionIV said:

Can't be a best party without Kagain.

19 STR
    18 DEX
    20 CON

Shorty Saving Throws
    High Mastery

Really good tank, but Dorn unloads the punishment. There are plenty of constitution pots in the game or otherwise I would agree. The best part is Dorn's natural con is 14, meaning you can give him the claw and it makes no difference aside from higher death save but paladins have good saves already. With the claw the saves are even better. True, you can give Kaigan the claw but that pretty much erases his main draw. Dorn with the Claw and Con pots > Kagain any day. And then we have poison weapon, which is just brutal. I've used both and Dorn wipes the floor with him. Dorn is tanky enough if you know what you're doing and brings the pain in ways Kagain could only dream.

But everyone has their opinions.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139

SionIV said:

19 STR
    18 DEX
    20 CON

Shorty Saving Throws
    High Mastery

Really good tank, but Dorn unloads the punishment. There are plenty of constitution pots in the game or otherwise I would agree. The best part is Dorn's natural con is 14, meaning you can give him the claw and it makes no difference aside from higher death save but paladins have good saves already. With the claw the saves are even better. True, you can give Kaigan the claw but that pretty much erases his main draw. Dorn with the Claw and Con pots > Kagain any day. And then we have poison weapon, which is just brutal. I've used both and Dorn wipes the floor with him. Dorn is tanky enough if you know what you're doing and brings the pain in ways Kagain could only dream.

I don't understand your point with the Claw of Kazgaroth. Kagain's shorty save bonus is higher than what the Claw provides. Dwarf with 18+ con gets a +5 bonus to saves, while the Claw only gives +3 and a penalty to save vs. death. Also, the point about Dorn + Claw + potions of fortitude = Dorn with 18 con. Kagain with Claw = also 18 con (and +8 bonus to saves). I just don't see where you were going with this?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2015

SionIV said:

19 STR
    18 DEX
    20 CON

Shorty Saving Throws
    High Mastery

Kagain will have 40 more health at level 8 (+5 HP from CON each level)
    Kagain have better saving throws (even with the claw on Dorn)
    Kagain have higher physical damage (High Mastery + Belt)
    Kagain have better Thac0 (High Mastery + Belt)
    Kagain regenerates HP.

The only thing Dorn has over Kagain is the poison.

Dorn can't equip any decent belts in the game, Kagain gets a 19 STR belt. Both can equip gauntlets of dexterity or weapon expertise. So Kagain will always have 19 STR and 20 CON.

-2 bonus to Death, Wand, and Spell saving throws with ADDITIONAL Constitution-based bonuses.

[Edited] : And your steam playtime means nothing, there are people here who have over 5 000 hours spent in this game with the original, way before BG:EE came out.
    Post edited by SionIV on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 4
    Please recommend:

I want to play an evil party and would prefer to have Dorn, Kagain, Viconia and Shar-Teel (dual classed) on board.

Option A: my char is mage of any kind. Should I still look for Edwin/Baeloth as #6?
    Option B: if my char is NOT mage and I take Edwin/Baeloth as #6 what my char should be for more fun and also having BGII in mind?
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    edited March 2015
    That is a cool-@$$ portrait.
    edited March 2015
    SionIV said:

And your steam playtime means nothing, there are people here who have over 5 000 hours spent in this game with the original, way before BG:EE came out.

I sort of disagree. I do agree that a lot of people have way more time put into the game than I do - I even made a thread about that (some of you guys have put an ungodly amount of time into the game/series). But I do think game experience means something in the context of this discussion. I mean, how would I say this is the best possible party unless I have played through it dozens of times? Personally, I wouldn't value the opinion of a noob. That's all I meant by that.
    edited March 2015
    Also, I would argue that poison weapon alone gives Dorn the edge. Only put a single pip into two-handed and use the other one for longbow. Poison weapon x2 (yep, it stacks) + arrows of detonation spreads the double poison tick to an entire area. Cast haste on Dorn, fire off several, and Dorn dishes out devastation in ways Kagain could only dream. I finished off Sarevok and his henchmen in 4 seconds. In fact, Kagain doesn't come close to approaching that much DPS in my opinion. I never used that method personally because I think it's cheesy and the game is easy enough. HP isn't as vital as damage output IMO. There are constitution pots in abundance, and a good AC is fine (I give Dorn the dexterity gauntlets so his AC is excellent and it adds to his range weapon ability).

But again, this is just my opinion. I created this thread only because I love this game and want to hear other people's opinion. Healthy debate is good.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Oh yeah, the poison might be the best DPS ability. I guess the people who love Kagain like a more defensive playstyle.
    You are correct. Poison weapon is absolute overkill on Blackguard. I can understand it on an Assassin because of the lower Thac0 of a thief class. But on a warrior with specialization? It's way OP. And the description is misleading. It lasts 6 rounds, not 1. So you can stack them on top of one another - and the amount of damage it does goes up with level. With the arrows of detonation it's absolutely beastly.

In my opinion, it's cheese. So I might even give the nod to Kagain for that reason alone. No one likes cheese in a game that's already easy.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    What?! Blackguard poison works with Detonation Arrows?!?

*Casts protection from Cheese*
    I recommend installing SCS.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    BrotherD said:

Please recommend:

I want to play an evil party and would prefer to have Dorn, Kagain, Viconia and Shar-Teel (dual classed) on board.

Option A: my char is mage of any kind. Should I still look for Edwin/Baeloth as #6?
    Option B: if my char is NOT mage and I take Edwin/Baeloth as #6 what my char should be for more fun and also having BGII in mind?

Everyone else is ignoring you because they're arguing about something else, so I'll try to advise.

Option A: Yes. It's not essential, but it's useful to have more than one arcane caster.

Option B: Looking ahead to BG2, the problem is that the only Mage (or arcane caster of any kind) available to an all-Evil party in BG2 is Edwin. He's a fine Mage, but (especially in late-BG2) it's even more useful than in BG1 to have more than one arcane caster. If you'll allow a part-Mage as "not exactly a Mage", then I'd say go with a multiclass Cleric/Mage as the best fit for the available Evil team in BG2, to be a support caster for both Edwin and Viconia. Alternatively, a Bard (probably kitted) would be a viable choice. However, if you mean "no sort of arcane caster at all", and if you still want your party to be Evil-only, then hmmm ... that's trickier ... maybe a multiclass Fighter/Cleric.

I made a party with a bog-standard Charname and five NPCs that are in everyone's game and everyone can use, and somehow my party is better than any other party! BOW BEFORE MY MIGHT!!

No, no. You totally misunderstood, perhaps intentionally. I never said nor implied that this is MY party. I meant that, in my opinion, it is the best possible combination as for as the unmodded game is concerned...for anyone who wants to use it. I say this after experimenting with countless variations.
    Archaos said:

This is my character, a blackguard named Mordeth, pronounced More Death - seemed appropriate seeing as how he's a bhaalspawn. He's no savior, just Mordeth ;).

I see you are using one of my portraits. Nice. ;)

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13758/human-black-guard-portrait/p1
    Yep, that's where I found it. Thank you for that, Chaos Lord!
    edited March 2015
    BrotherD said:

Please recommend:

Sorry, I didn't see your post.

With Dorn, Kagain, Vicky, and Shar-Teel... with a Mage charname...I would personally go with second caster. I prefer Baeloth because of the extra spells a day and on the fly versatility, but Edwin also works.

With a non-Mage charname...only having one caster for the party, I would take EDWIN over Baeloth. He gets access to a larger repertoire, and will eventually have access to level 5 spells whereas Baeloth will not. Cloud-Kill is incredible. Sunfire is also good, but it doesn't really beat fireball unless you disable the cap. Still, it's worth it for the level 5 spells.

Baeloth is more of a second caster. Mage + Sorcerer > Mage + Mage, but if you can only have one, I would go Mage for the extra spell choices and 5th circle spells.

Hope that helps.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2015

I challenge ANYONE to name a better party

Half-Orc/Half-Hagspawn Bhaalspawn (CLUBS)
    The Great Gazib
    Well-Adjusted Al
    Portalbendarwinden
    Lord Binky The Buffoon
    Schlumpsha the Sewer King

Mission accomplished!
    EDIT: @Kamigoroshi beat me to Portalbendarwinden!

How could you not include Noober or Larry, Darryl & Darryl :wink:
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on

I challenge ANYONE to name a better party (not counting my protagonist as everyone should favor their own).

Noober
    Portalbendarwinden
    Larry
    Darryl
    Darryl

;-)
    Damn, I'm beat.
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    You really are getting your value for money with 1245 hrs of gameplay for only $20.

Honestly what other game offers this type of value? Baldur's gate is one of a kind the best game ever made!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

EDIT: @Kamigoroshi beat me to Portalbendarwinden!

How could you not include Noober or Larry, Darryl & Darryl :wink:

They were crushed by a stampede of falling cows before I had the change. :neutral:
    Wowo said:

What does that do? I googled it and all I could dig up is that it's several mods. Does it make it harder or something?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2015
    @Stormvessel It's a mod that comes with a lot of components, some of it significantly increases the difficulty of the game. I have not used it myself, but I understand that the AI will try harder to target mages, use more potions and use magic more effectively against you.

Wowo said:

What does that do? I googled it and all I could dig up is that it's several mods. Does it make it harder or something?
    Basically the AI is beefed up so much that you'll often be surprised at how smart it is when it does tricky things to decimate your party.

I can't play with a party without it, the game is just too easy even with less than optimal parties. I definitely recommend it, you can download it from the gibberlings website and give it a whirl, it'll feel like your playing a completely new game.
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    As duly noted in one of the replies, unmodded BG/BG2 (EE or otherwise) is not difficult at all, unless you play it for a very first time without spoilers/FAQs. If you really wish to optimize, the challenge must be adequate, otherwise it becomes a bit pointless, I trust. This kind of adequate challenge can be achieved in two ways: (1) playing with deliberate restrictions/ground rules (solo, limited to one item per character, no-magic, melee only, poverty, you name it); (2) playing with various difficulty-enhanced community-made mods--luckily, there is a whole lot of these, so you can really pick your poison (or your combination of poisons, for that matter). Maybe the original poster should refer to Challenges & Playthroughs section of this forum to get some ideas.