Skip to content

Goodbye Pterry - Terry Pratchett has died

kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
We have just lost one of the greats. Terry Pratchett has finally succumbed to the ravages of Alzheimer’s. He has left us far too soon.

Thank you so much Pterry for all the joy, giggles and outright collapsing belly laughs you gave to me. Your work helped me survive a dreadful day battling the Immigration Office, and has carried me through countless hours sitting in airport lounges or cramped planes. You were a true wizard - you surely had the magic of words, and you were one of the great true namers. Your ability to cast the spell of laughter was unmatched, but you had a more serious side. You had the gift of true satire, not just to raise a laugh, but to raise serious ideas and deep thinking. You opened our eyes to the ridiculousness of prejudice, the stupidity of mindless aggression masquerading as patriotism and the foolishness of trying to pigeonhole people rather than letting them be who they really are.

I hope you found the gentle side of death and that you didn’t thrash him too hard in your game of Cripple Mr Onion. I hope you are giving the gods and goddesses a really hard time, and that you are having great fun annoying Annoya. Most of all I hope you have found peace.

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It is indeed a sad day and a great loss. And the day after Douglas Adam's Birthday too boot. Sir Terry will be greatly missed by his fans. No more will we visit Diskworld with new and up-roarious adventures. No more will we tread the hallowed halls of Alchemical University or Ank-Moorpork. Nor hear the tread of hundreds of little feet... attached to a set of luggage.

It's a small comfort, but at least he didn't leave any works un-finished. Well, except the entire worlds that he made us privy to.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    bengoshi said:

First Leonard, now Terry... It's unbelievably sad to lose great people.

RIP and thank you for all you've done. I will always remember your world and your jokes and stories will live forever.

My Gran went halfway between the two... worst week ever.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    R.I.P.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Noli Timere Messorem.
    Don't fear the Reaper.

Sir Pratchett was one of my biggest role models and idols, both as a writer and person.
    I just came back from the pub where I drank a Scumble with my friend R. in his honor.
    We will truly miss him :'(
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It's really sad when great people are passing away, but remember this. Great people aren't growing on trees. It's up for next generations to become great.

So, we have some work to do, don't you all think?
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Rest in peace author of discworld.
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    XKCD did a lovely tribute today.

http://xkcd.com/1498/
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    R.I.P Terry I Hope you will find your way home.