Skip to content

Gold Box Games question.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I've not had music on mine =/

I usually just play other stuff in the background.
    kcwise
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I think only the Amiga version (that came much later) had anything close to a score.
    proccokcwise
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    You guys have probably already seen this (it's a pretty old article), but it's a pretty good read with a bit about all the old D&D CRPG's
    http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/538/538865p1.html
    this is part 1 of 5, and there's no links, but just google Gamespy History of D&D games for the other parts

kcwise
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2015
    dual class ranger/mages can wear armor if I recall in pool of darkness (bug I guess)

my party in 1992? was

2 human clerics
    1 human paladin
    1 human ranger
    1 mage
    1 dual class thief/mage

lots of clerics are good because resurrect I don't think you have to put all items back in inventory like some games. So if you still have a cleric standing they can just resurrect. Also hold person is pretty insane against humanoids of which expect plenty.
    kcwise
    claudius said:

dual class ranger/mages can wear armor if I recall in pool of darkness (bug I guess)

my party in 1992? was

2 human clerics
    1 human paladin
    1 human ranger
    1 mage
    1 dual class thief/mage

lots of clerics are good because resurrect I don't think you have to put all items back in inventory like some games. So if you still have a cleric standing they can just resurrect. Also hold person is pretty insane against humanoids of which expect plenty.

Yeah, I noticed in Pools of Radiance my Thief/Magic-User can cast in leather armor. It's weird.
    kcwise
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Vallmyr said:

AH CRAP TROLLS

THAT'S the encounter I was waiting to hear about.

I remember getting totally stomped by that encounter a bunch of times. Eventually I held off till my Wizard was 5th level. Fireball is the ultimate leveler.
    atcDavekcwise

Vallmyr said:

AH CRAP TROLLS

THAT'S the encounter I was waiting to hear about.

I remember getting totally stomped by that encounter a bunch of times. Eventually I held off till my Wizard was 5th level. Fireball is the ultimate leveler.
    I just kept wiping on it until RNG became in my favor and I won!. . . with two party members up XD

Also, I'm avoiding hiring another person to join the party because I require ALL OF THE MONEY!. . . that is until I can have them killed, animate dead them and then have my own skelly-bro :3
    kcwise
    Just FYI, there is money and to spare. Maybe not all at once, but if you are doing all of the bounties and collecting rewards for all of the missions that you complete, you should have a steady stream of cash. Just don't go spending frivolously until you have more of a savings. If you honestly can't defeat something, there's nothing wrong with spending that hard won gold on a little bit of help.
    kcwise
    Just curious, @Vallmyr are you still having fun with the game? Where are you at now?
    Vallmyrkcwise
    Been busy with employment stuff and classes for the past few days so haven't been able to play often this week :(
    Once the weekend comes by again I'm going to binge on it, though XD
    Ok! So I've taken a break from Pillars of Eternity to play this once again!

To which I must ask, why do gnolls look like lizard men and lizard men look like more lizard-y men? XD
    kcwisejackjackJuliusBorisov
    No doubt GB graphics are a little less sophistacated than BG graphics!
    kcwisejackjackJuliusBorisovthe_spyder
  • PrrshaPrrsha Member Posts: 8
    This may be a tad off topic but I have searched the internet for days trying to find an answer or on a series of bugs in the kyrnn series of gold box games. I chose to play the Amiga version as it has the best graphics and sound it seems... however. In Death Knights of Kyrnn, except for the demo title screens, the animations for the monster portraits won't animate. Instead of seeing say.... a dragon with it's tongue slithering out with burning drool.... I just see a freeze frame of it. No animation plays as in Champions of Kyrnn.

Another bug I have noticed in the Amiga version of Champions of Kyrnn is that white mages gain access to 3rd level spells at the same level as red mages do. This does not hold true in dos or c64 versions. Red mages in champion gain access to higher level spells eariler, giving them a small advantagement among many others.... they also suffer from less hit dice but the Amiga version doesn't reflect that. I know these are small issues but can anyone confirm them? Pretty please? :3
    kcwise
    Also if someone has a patch to the animation portrait issue in DKoK it would be greatly appreaciated. :3
    kcwise
    Wow, well its been 20+ years since I played any of these. And I think Champions of Krynn was the only one I played on both C64 and Amiga.
    Off the top of my head I don't remember any such glitches, but that proves exactly nothing. Sorry.
    the_spyderkcwise
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    There is a certain cut-off point for RPGs for me, and fittingly enough, that point is Baldur's Gate, which along with Fallout I consider the birth modern RPGs. And by modern I simply mean that they have responsive controls and a pleasing interface. I have a copy of nearly every DOS RPG you can think of, but I can't play them without pulling my hair out. Basically, I can no longer stomach games that don't allow me to have mouse control over things. So while I have all of these sitting on a external hard drive, the chances of me ever playing them are pretty low.
    kcwise
    @jjstraka34 - I can respect that is the way you see things. My personal opinion is that you are missing out on something by not trying the Gold Box games. But that is a highly subjective and personal belief. If you don't have fun with something, there' really no reason to play it. It's as simple as that.

As far as the Graphics glitch, I never played the Amiga version, so I can't remember. Nor do I know if there is/would be a patch. Is the game overall playable other than that? Just asking.
    kcwise
    These games are SUPER HYPE! I absolutely love Pool of Radiance atm. Still a bit of a ways from finishing it but making my way along. It reminds me of paying IRL PnP but as opposed to having like 20 rulebooks around me for spells, abilities, and etc. I have like 20 tabs open. Before I cast a spell I have to go look it up to make sure it does what I think it does. Same for weapon/armor stats.

I'm a tad bit cheating in that I'm using that UI mod-thing but it also has a thing to bypass level caps for demi-humans >_>

I dislike level caps for demi-humans.
    the_spyderatcDavekcwisejackjack
    I've been through the entire series of dragonlance games... CoK and DKoK I first played on my old c64... many fond memories there, however ssi no longer supported the c64 when they came out with the Dark Queen of Kyrnn. So I later when I obtained an amiga î did play through the entire series. There were no bugs on the c64 except for one game breaking one which involved the game crashing when an enounter error occured in Sanction. I later got a replacement disk in the mail from ssi which corrected that. As far as the Amiga there are no ground breaking bugs that I saw except for the cosmetic issue in DKoK and the mage issue in CoK. Dark Queen had no bugs what so ever oddly.

Long ago I used a catwesal device to make an image of the corrected 3rd disk of the c64 version and uploaded it to lemon but the bugged version is still around out there on some sites.
    kcwise
    Prrsha said:

As far as the Amiga there are no ground breaking bugs that I saw except for the cosmetic issue in DKoK and the mage issue in CoK. Dark Queen had no bugs what so ever oddly.

What exactly is a ground breaking bug? Something so new and revolutionary that no one had ever thought of breaking a game in exactly that manner?

kcwiseVallmyratcDavejackjack

Prrsha said:

As far as the Amiga there are no ground breaking bugs that I saw except for the cosmetic issue in DKoK and the mage issue in CoK. Dark Queen had no bugs what so ever oddly.

What exactly is a ground breaking bug? Something so new and revolutionary that no one had ever thought of breaking a game in exactly that manner?

This made me laugh REALLLY hard. I was in a Library doing research for my upcoming essay, too. XD

Needless to say I had difficulty laughing while not being loud.
    kcwiseatcDave
    edited April 2015
    Question, sometimes enemies drop magic items and such. How am I supposed to know their magic beforehand? Or do I not and just pick up everything I can, cast detect magic, and hope I picked up the right items?

Edit: :O! By beating Norris the Gray I now have a hideout? THAT'S AWESOME!

Edit the second: I FOUND HIS HORDE. Soooo much money!
    kcwiseatcDave
    I am pretty sure that you have to cast identify on something and that you don't simply "Know" that it is magic. I personally much prefer this system to the way later games do it. It is much closer to PnP (or at least that is the way my DM played it).
    atcDavekcwise

I am pretty sure that you have to cast identify on something and that you don't simply "Know" that it is magic. I personally much prefer this system to the way later games do it. It is much closer to PnP (or at least that is the way my DM played it).

Yeah, It seems like I have to pick up every item, cast detect magic, and then check and if not drop everything. I was wondering if there was a way to cast detect magic on the loot screen which it doesn't appear so. I don't mind the detect magic/identify at town system but I just wish I could cast detect magic at the loot screen so I can see which of these 1000 shortswords are a +1 XD

Ah, well. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for this first run and on future runs I'll research what items are magic that drop.
    kcwise
    I don't remember it being that hard. Isn't there a way to cast Detect Magic, and then anything in the pile will show up with an asterisk?
    the_spyderkcwise
    It's been a long time for me, but I want to say that @atcDave is correct. I bet there is a way. Or maybe that came out with Curse??? I can't remember. But yeah, I think that definitely brings back the usefulness of Detect Magic as a spell.
    kcwise
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I installed Pool of Radiance last night to give it another try. Sadly the controls on DOSbox (or maybe orginally) don't make any sort of sense to me. I can't use the arrow keys to select options, I have to use the Home and End key to move up and down. Sometimes the first letter of the option takes you where you think, sometimes it does nothing. It hard to tell what is highlighted and what isn't. I would kill to have these remastered and made even slightly more palatable to modern standards. Mouse control alone would be absolutely amazing. Alas....
    kcwise

I installed Pool of Radiance last night to give it another try. Sadly the controls on DOSbox (or maybe orginally) don't make any sort of sense to me. I can't use the arrow keys to select options, I have to use the Home and End key to move up and down. Sometimes the first letter of the option takes you where you think, sometimes it does nothing. It hard to tell what is highlighted and what isn't. I would kill to have these remastered and made even slightly more palatable to modern standards. Mouse control alone would be absolutely amazing. Alas....

Yeaahhh
    It took me a few days to understand the controls.
    It's like Home and delete for menus; arrow keys for combat.
    kcwise
    @jjstraka34 - LOL. Yes, definitely the old style control schemes take a lot of getting used to. These days we are pampered with mouse/trackball, configurable keyboards etc... and it can be quite the learning curve. When it came out we had no idea that anything could be different/better so we just took what we got. I bet it would be hard even for an old fossil like myself to go back.

But at least you gave it a try. The game itself, once you get past all of that, is amazing and I think a lot of games could learn from it. But it is quite a different way of doing things just to get to the good bits.
    atcDavekcwise
    Typo take ground breaking bug and replace it with GAME breaking bug ;3
    the_spyderkcwise