Skip to content

How the heck do you defeat Yxunomei?

I've tried:
- rushing in
- hiding around the corner to defeat the bad guys as they come
- focussing on the few in front
... the only thing I haven't tried yet is to go all the way back to Kuldahar to see about purchasing some scrolls.

I speed my party, use my mage and her spells (until she gets confused and killed), try to use my cleric... I have lost count how many times I've tried, and I'm about to give up! My characters have +2 hand-held weapons, but no magicked arrows or crossbow bolts.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions and tips!

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    What's usually worked for me is to have all my melee fighters go after Y-girl while everyone else suppresses her support. A cleric unloading Holy Smiting on her spell casters while a mage uses Fireball can work very effectively. Have any archers target her spell casters too.
    You have two objectives; suppress casters, pulverize the boss.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Buy a +3 weapon in Kuldahar. Black Bess is cheap. Then buff your top damage dealer and crush her. Rest of the party can handle her goons. Prior to her you find Spinesheath. It's nice for backstabs.
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    yup. blinding spellcasters, either by using improved invis on yourself, if you have it, or using smite/blind spells on her casters works wonders. if you have some potions of invisibility, those work great for hit and run tactics with your thief.

when your characters can't be directly targeted by spells, this fight gets MUCH easier.

frankly, the first time I fought it, I found the spellcasters creeping up behind my group (playing on insane) to be a much stickier problem, since I had used up a lot of my abilities on the group in the room.

as mentioned upthread, summons are very useful here. who cares if your summoned wolf gets feebleminded?

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2015
    You can stay outside and chuck a bunch of AoE DoT spells through the door, then forget about everyone else whilst you deal with the mages that spawn in on top of you. Then clean up what's left.

You will miss the dialogue that way though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    Yeah, fighting her for the first time, unprepared, blind [not having played IWD/IWD:EE before, that is] and with only two people [I as a Thief/Mage, and AlbinoWyvern as a Dwarven Defender] was something that took some reloads to do. I think we managed to do it this way:

I summoned a bunch of monsters, and moved them into the room to get targeted. As the mages spawned, I hit one or two with acid arrow, as Albino went and over and chunked the others to bits. As I was done with the acid, I cast cloudkill in the door as Albino tried keeping them at bay. When Yxunomei came through, I somehow knocked her unconscious [with colour spray, I think?], and that bought us some time for Albino to destroy all the minions [while I assisted with fireballs!]. Thus came the difficult part: ending Yxunomei when the only magical weapon we have was an axe Albino isn't even proficient in. We managed to get through [I forgot how, I think she was stunned somehow, or we reduced her saving throws enough, or something?], and yeah... I don't really remember.
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    With my party of half orcs :
    barbarian, berzerker, kensai, bounty hunter, cleric of tempus, fighter (with longbow)

The bounty set traps before talking to yxunomei.
    The party rest into the small room.

Barbarian goes talking with yxu, the rush the small room.

Traps done all the job unto the yuan ti mages.

The fighter (with the longbow) focus on her with the +1 arrows, the cleric buff the party, the 3 fighters (barbarian, berzerker, kensai) rush the yuan ti, then help killing yxu.

• JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    After putting up prep spells (Free action, Emotion, Prot Evil 10' etc) start combat and run out of the room, down the hall, and through a door into the northern room. Use the choke point. Then begin the summon spam. A bow character with +2 arrows or arrows of piercing can take her out while everyone else deals with the rest of her minions. Have remove paralysis ready just in case. On my no-reload run one of my gals died due to paralysis so she got left behind when everyone ran lol

Playing Core Rules, my party was only level 6, so I had no summoning spells. I had a staff that could summon an Invisible Stalker... which is bugged and doesn't work :( And I had no +2 arrows to use against her.

What Animate Dead and MS I?
    no cleric maybe, but yeah, by that time i though at least summon monster 1 was available.
    edited March 2015
    "but seriously, 4 goblins against Yx and her crew?"

dude... you're not getting it. the monsters aren't there to do damage. they are there to soak up enemy spells for you.

blindness is an excellent call though. if you can get it to stick, it's exactly the same as if you had cast improved invisibility on everyone in your party. and you're now immune to being directly targeted by any spells, though you're still vulnerable to area effect casts and fireballs and whatnot.

...which is why sending in even 4 goblins helps tremendously. the casters will use their AOE effects on THEM.

Ichthyic said:

"but seriously, 4 goblins against Yx and her crew?"

dude... you're not getting it. the monsters aren't there to do damage. they are there to soak up enemy spells for you.

blindness is an excellent call though. if you can get it to stick, it's exactly the same as if you had cast improved invisibility on everyone in your party. and you're now immune to being directly targeted by any spells, though you're still vulnerable to area effect casts and fireballs and whatnot.

...which is why sending in even 4 goblins helps tremendously. the casters will use their AOE effects on THEM.

Exactly. Spell absorption and buffs. Basically the function of ALL low level summons. Of course I haven't always used that strategy, so I get it.
    at high levels.. it's a load of fun to send hakeashars at mages, and watch the AI cry.

seriously, I would mod it so high level mages go tensers when confronted with something like a hakeashar, but it's just too much scripting to be worth it to me.

• AlbinoWyvernAlbinoWyvern Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015

Thus came the difficult part: ending Yxunomei when the only magical weapon we have was an axe Albino isn't even proficient in. We managed to get through [I forgot how, I think she was stunned somehow, or we reduced her saving throws enough, or something?], and yeah... I don't really remember.

I think we used the same strategy that I used in single player: namely you cast Icelance on her, praying to the gods that she won't resist it and gets stunned. XP And the weapon I had to use was Everain's broadsword, I think. It was painful.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Ichthyic said:

at high levels.. it's a load of fun to send hakeashars at mages, and watch the AI cry.

seriously, I would mod it so high level mages go tensers when confronted with something like a hakeashar, but it's just too much scripting to be worth it to me.

That would be an RP-friendly way to do it for sure. Afaik the way high-difficulty mods handle spell reserves currently is by simply adding inexhaustible scripted spells. Mostly to stop LoS-depletion strategies I'm sure, but of course it also has the unfortunate side effect of making things like Hakky fairly useless :(
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    I don't remember having trouble with her on my solo rogue...if Heart of winter is installed you can get a nifty short sword that heals 3 hp per hit, wich with resistance leather armor later on works real charms on survivability.
    And since its a +4 weapon, the backstab is a killer.
    But the hard part is getting it early on, you don't want to fight that many drowned dead and such so early on so stealth through it :p
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Once you realize what you're facing, a strategic retreat is in order. I backed up into the hallway and dropped Entangle, Web, and Spike Growth (the new druid spell that does damage every round... this trio of spells has been my favorite tactic in my recent run).

This was going to be my exact suggestion to the TS.

For me at least, a direct attack against the enemies in the room is almost certain suicide - it spreads your party too thin, and there are traps in the room that will ruin your party members if you don't disarm them first. In my experience, the best approach is a "Divide & Conquer" strategy - use a variety of monster summons and/or AoE spells to stall the enemies in the room for as long as you can, while the bulk of your party focuses on destroying the two mages that appear behind you as quickly as possible.

Here's a screenshot of my recent encounter with Yzuno, showing how I positioned my party (notice that I had used Web and Stinking Cloud to slow the enemy's advance).

I was still a tough battle though, and one of my party members ended up getting perma-killed, as you can see below. If I had been more willing to metagame (which I hate to do), I probably could've created a lot more monster summons and/or buffed my party a lot more in advance. Also, my kensai ended up being "held" at some point in the chaotic melee action (I didn't see how it happened), but she "un-froze" just in time to deal a whopping 48-point crit hit to Yzuno (not enough to save my cleric from being chunked, sadly), and then finish her off shortly after that.

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Unless the difficulty is raised, I'm not sure why people are having difficulties with her.
    I defeated her relatively easy on vanilla Icewind Dale.

I don't remember how exactly but I think I buffed my party, killed off the others, debuffed her and used trapping spells to slow her down (Web, Grease, maybe some others).

Then hit her full of magic and arrows as someone tanked her.
    No special party (it was Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Mage, Bard, Druid all single classed). On Hardcore rules.

I might also have summoned some stuff but no armies.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    Her magic resistance is why I send in the fighters.
    I've never found this a difficult fight. The warriors take her out, while others take out her support.

I think this is a very fun fight. But then I was one of the few who always picks Dragon's Eye as my favorite part of the whole game. This climactic battle gives your whole party something to do. But I usually find just two warriors (hasted, strength spells or potions) destroy Yxi in two rounds, or less, and they can join in the carnage against the support troops.
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    Dragon eye is the passage that I hate the most. Because of the trolls who hit really hard, and at the beginning we have a very poorly armed party.
    But the fight against Yxunomei is one of my favorites, a team of beginners against her and her friends, really fun .
    It all depends on the team, but in general it takes a little preparation , some thief traps, the best spells ( spike growth , web , fireball , grease , entangle etc ... ) some invocation ( mostly animate dead ) , potions ( haste) for the fighters.
  • KeratinSinsKeratinSins Member Posts: 3
    It took a couple of attempts tweaking the tactics, but I made it eventually with my magicless party (no Magic except what can have a "natural" explanation. Grease, Web etc is therefore allowed, but not summoning, Magic Missile etc).

First I dropped a bit of crowd control (Grease) in the entrance to the room. Then I focused on the 3 enemies spawning in the corridore. By the time they where dead, the rest came through the door. I then retreated into to the northern chambers, all the way in, dropping some more Grease and the Thief put up some traps. Then I focoused fired on Yxunomei, and then took care of the rest. My Cleric ran around stopping bleeding wounds all the time, and my Bard played nervously trying the encourage the fighters as best he could. Just make sure whoever pulls the shortest straw and has to stand and block the entrance to the innermost chambers has all the good equipment.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Buffs: Haste, Protection From Evil 10 ' Radius, Defensive Harmony, Skald's Battle Song.

I've prepared some traps to give a warm welcome to the mages while they went out of theirs Dimensional Doors.

Skull Trap to wish a nice day to her foot soldiers. Holy Smite close to the door to spice things up.

I've made the priest cast Holy Power so he could heat things up too.

And enraged my Berserker. You know: just in case.

Sended my two tanks (Inquisidor and Berserker) to kick her arse. Archer was busy disrupting casters at first, but soon enough he joined the battle against Madame Xy and made her look like a porcupine when he was done with her.

She barely damaged my party.

I'm currently doing a "no rest without RP" run. It means I'm not resting in dungeons (except when there is someone I can trust to guard my party). I was very damaged and low in resourcers when I've reached Yx's chamber, but the job was done.

My party:

Bounty Hunter, Inquisidor, Skald, Archer, Berserker, Priest of Tempus.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've found that Chromatic Orb is a great spell to use against Yxunomei.

She has good saves and high MR, but if it works, she's stunned for 13 rounds. That's a lot of time for dealing damage, and it does a lot to reduce the pressure on the party. Cast enough Chromatic Orbs, and the chance of success is very high.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    I failed on this battle a few times. What worked my final time was quite by accident using a stoneskin and mirror image sorcerer to tank her for a bit while everyone beat the shaman down quickly. I fought them in the corridor as I hate trapped chambers. Im pretty sure I could have done it better but no-one died.
  • chuukoguchuukogu Member Posts: 40

I've found that Chromatic Orb is a great spell to use against Yxunomei.

Interesting, I never really used this in Baldur's gate. I defeated Yx by luring her out of the big room, immediately killing 3 teleporting(?) Yuan-ti. I cast silence and maybe some other aoe spells on the big room entrance, don't know if that did any good. Yxonomei got hit by some 15% chance to stun (or such) weapon I just happened to have and froze!
    I could have backtracked to the town to get some items and spells to make the fight easier, though.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    I used the flame arrows from The Summoner's Staff while kiting with my mage. Because everyone else was dead.