Skip to content

The Staff of Power

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
Rather than bumbling around blindly as per normal, I decided to read up about the Mage Stronghold quests in BG2, and saw the Staff of Power. Am I missing something or is that one fine staff?! How come nobody ever mentions it in "best so and so" discussions? +2 AC and +2 saves is nice enough, but it also comes with two very nice charged abilities, though I am not sure how the lightning works exactly (i.e. party friendly? how many things are immune to it? etc). It's not quite Staff of the Magi, but it's not far off as far as I can tell.

Sadly I know it kills all the apprentices and I do need at least one of them alive to complete further stronghold quests, but man is that a tempting quarterstaff in a party with Neera, Aerie and (eventually) Imoen!

Comments

• MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    I assume the primary reason no one mentions it is because the Ring of Wizardry (one of the other options) is way better.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Probably because its lightning ability has limited charges and its shooting a lightning bolt (which bounces). Plus the Staff of the Magi is super powerful and as Mivsan pointed out you can get the Ring of Wizardry instead.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Yeah, it is a quite awesome staff! Also it is very tempting! It can cast Globe of Invulnerability and the stunning lightning bolt is quite nice too. Here is how the stunning Lightning Bolt works: it casts a level 10, lightning bolt as per the mage spell, but it also will cause a 5 round stun (no save) on the initial target of the bolt (i.e. whoever you click on to cast the bolt at). Very powerful indeed!

To be honest though I am tempted by all 3 of the final items they make... The robe has an amazing AC for a robe and the ring is, well, a Ring of Wizardry. If you want a Ring of Wizardry though you can also get one from Jaheira's quest.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Ah I see... I wish the lightning was like Call Lightning, that'd make it a very handy ability.

I still think it's rather subjective and depends on how you play the game. The way I do, with limited rest, the ring is probably a bit better, but if you rest as often as you want, then you could just replenish all your spells inbetween all significant battles, and the ring would only provide a bit more convenience, whilst the staff is arguably the second best quarterstaff for a pure mage, as far as I can see.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just checked the files. OP is right. The Staff of Power's Lightning Bolt stuns the target for 30 seconds without save, though it doesn't bypass MR. It's also level 0 and bypasses Spell Immunity. It only stuns the first target, though; the lightning bolt itself does not stun.

And the GOI has no secondary type, so it shouldn't be possible for enemies to tear it down with Pierce Magic. That could be a nice bonus in SCS2.

Finally, you don't have to fight the Twisted Rune to get it. And even if the Staff of the Magi is better, a lot of parties (like mine) have more than one mage to use it.

It's a little hard to say if it's worth it. If you have only one mage, then he or she is likely going to be using the Staff of the Magi, and the Staff of Power's AC and save bonuses won't come into play. But if you have more than one mage, then you'll want more than one Ring of Wizardry (you can get one from the mage stronghold and another from Jaheira's questline), and therefore could pass up the Staff of Power in favor of the later prize.

I think people overlook it because it doesn't look as cool as the other big staffs.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2015
    In the EE, this globe of invulnerability from the staff is a normal wizard spell and it can be "pierced".
    The stun effect comes with no save, its big advantage, but it is blocked by a protection against spell lvl (from a creature item or a spell itself) or a direct immunity to the effect (not rare).
    How many apprentices do you kill when requesting the staff ? ... I don't know but that is perhaps the reason why people do not want the staff (even powergamers have a heart).
    If you are a high level mage or sorcerer, I am convinced you do not specifically need that trick to defeat your enemies. Probably better for a mid-level combo.

Obviously this remains an interesting item.

IIRC it is used against you in the black pits. (?)
    @Musigny The staff gets all three apprenti killed. The ring gets two of them killed, so it isn't a whole lot better from a morality perspective. :smile:

From a metagaming perspective, it's 50k xp (for the whole party) or the robe or the ring. The staff also denies the last part of the mage stronghold quest because there's no apprenti left to graduate, so that's probably a big reason that people rarely use it.
    edited March 2015
    As you know there is another early opportunity to get the ring.
    Anyway I suspect that many people taking one of the two paths to get the ring also combine several rings using the item upgrade mod. Otherwise this is a nice item but it is certainly not the omega of the wizard's equipment.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    The ring is a serious boost to most mages if you get it in chapter 3, and I am certainly happy to get two of them - one from each source. The benefits may be (relatively) diminishing by the time you leave the Underdark, depending on how much XP you left on the table before sailing out, but it remains the most compelling use of a ring slot for my mages even then.

The ring is a serious boost to most mages if you get it in chapter 3, and I am certainly happy to get two of them - one from each source. The benefits may be (relatively) diminishing by the time you leave the Underdark, depending on how much XP you left on the table before sailing out, but it remains the most compelling use of a ring slot for my mages even then.

If you can benefit from the ring, you are likely to be able to (or will soon be able to) use project image.
    Do one more lvl 5 and on more lvl 6 spells really matter in the mid or long term?
    I really see the ring as giving that extra lvl 7 spell.
    On the other hand the ring of acuity granting more lvl 2-4 spells (read damage or disabling spells) has a more substantial effect on my sorcerer/mage play style.

I hold in high regard this reaching ring for a mage combo.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Must... resist... lewd... puns...
    I once felt bad about the Ring of Wizardry slaying two of my apprenti. But then I remembered my character is a Cleric/Mage, and could easily have simply raised them. The engine doesn't let you do so, but I can assume my Charname in-game could do it.

In fact, any character could just take an apprentice to the temple and have him or her raised. No need to feel bad about killing your students with unsafe experiments.

No need to feel bad about killing your students with unsafe experiments.

True Dat

It would actually be interesting if the game let you raise certain characters. That ability seems to be largely ignored for most non-joinable NPCs (other than Tazok and a few others)

Must... resist... lewd... puns...

@booinyoureyes
    Looks like you made your saving throw. :smile:

Wise in a thread created by a mod. :wink:
    On a more serious note, I always felt as though this stronghold was a bit inappropriate for a sorcerer PC. It would be cool to have a mod or enhancement that could add a stronghold or them, and do something like make Neera's enclave a stronghold for a wild mage protagonist.

In fact, any character could just take an apprentice to the temple and have him or her raised. No need to feel bad about killing your students with unsafe experiments.

With the same reasoning I suppose you can kill everyone even those who do not volunteer to be killed.
    I do feel bad about letting them go to an announced fatal outcome.
    Even your companions can permanently die and you always permanently die.
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    Mivsan said:

I assume the primary reason no one mentions it is because the Ring of Wizardry (one of the other options) is way better.

Lol, no. Staff of Power gives + 2 saves thats just precious. An item i would neven play without. As opposed to some + spells i can live without no problem. Lowering saves for more and more party members is the way to go. The Ring of Wizardry is a "flashy" option.
    Poor students.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Isn't there also one in spellhold where you find the diary?
    @Iroumen: I believe that is the Staff of Thunder and Lightning. It also fires a Lightning Bolt, but does not stun.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Ah right. That's a copy of the one from the druids grove. My mistake