Skip to content

Issues with Jaheira... you guessed it... romance!

BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
edited March 2015 in Troubleshooting
Another day, another Jaheira romance issue.

I'll be brief: Lovetalk 67 ("Stay with me tonight...") is triggering in the Underdark, but the morning-after dialogue is not. Lovetalk skips to 69 (I'm not sure if this is what it should be doing), but nothing happens. No matter how I set the variable or what I set it to, I can't get the final dialogue to trigger upon waking. I don't know if this is because I am technically in a dungeon, where romance dialogues and banters aren't supposed to occur; nor do I know if this will affect

...Elminster's final appearance.

Any input or suggestions would be gratefully received. There's another thread detailing a similar issue, but the originator, @cremno, was a little unclear on whatever fix s/he was able to implement.

There are a lot of frustrating and immersion-breaking bugs in this game, and it's borderline impossible to experience some side-plots for yourself because of the need to look up workarounds to get the poxy things moving in the first place, but I had forgotten just how temperamental this particular plot was. Grr, etc.
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I would suggest resting in Ust Natha since it is not a dungeon area. If that fails... Uhh... Hmm...
  • BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
    Very curious: I used the console to teleport to an outside area (the Umar Hills) and slept once; LT68 triggered upon resting, but LT69 wouldn't trigger until I rested a second time. Sleeping twice did not work in the Underdark. LT is now set to 70, which I believe it should be for the romance to progress.

I see two possible ways around this, then: either set JaheiraRomanceActive to 3 temporarily, so I can rest in the Underdark without triggering the first dialogue and potentially breaking the romance; or I can teleport out of and back into the Underdark to get both dialogues. Stupid that I have to do either, but there you go.
    edited April 2015
    I went with option #2 in the end, and now the second dialogue ("good morning") is looping.

I think this is a common issue with Jaheira's romance if it is not completed prior to the Underdark, as it ties in with the Harper plot, which can only progress in chapters 2, 3 or 6. It seems that over the years a number of people have reported looping dialogue in chapter 5, and the dialogue in question always seems to be one immediately before a development in the Harper plot; usually the emergence of another character.

I assume that no definitive fix or patch exists for this, as it's such an old and persistent glitch. If anyone can think of a workaround better than temporarily disabling the romance I am all ears (well, eyes), but for now it looks like that is what I will have to do. (Or the less disruptive option of course, which is to simply put up with the loop. It's not like the dialogue is a long one.)
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    HI @Bejogo if you have a save just before the romance triggers please could you zip & attach it. If not, one where you currently are may help.
    Thanks
    Unusually for me, I did in fact keep hold of the save just before the pre-rest dialogue is supposed to trigger. I have attached it to this post.

Thanks very much mate, let us know what you dig up.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I think what you are seeing here with the variable progression is normal... The requirement for a double rest seems like it is a bug but other than that things appear to be working as they should. My suggestion is this:
    Rest in the underdark and do whatever with Jaheira. Then wait until you get to Adalon's lair and rest again and the morning after talk should kick in. Things should proceed as normal from there.
    Resting there produces a before-rest dialogue. Resting several times more then does nothing. Jumping to Watchers Keep (AR3000) and resting again produces the expected dialogue without me having to set any variables, and didn't result in looping. It may be the case that the area you chose interferes in some way while Watchers Keep doesn't?

Terminsel turned up when I zero'd his timer so would think everything should pick up for you once out of the Underdark if left alone.
    JuliusBorisov
    How bizarre. Do you think that, because Watcher's Keep is accessible from both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal, it might somehow be exempt from chapter checks? I am fairly sure that Elminster isn't supposed to spawn in chapter 5.

In any case, @Gate70 and @Tresset, I really appreciate you both taking a look. Thanks a lot.
    Hmm... I tried resting in both Adalon's lair and Watcher's keep. The first time I attempted to rest in the former, the pre-rest dialogue did not trigger, but the post-rest dialogue did, with Jaheira acting as though the protagonist had turned her down. The second time required two rests to get both dialogues, as did Watcher's Keep; in both cases, the post-rest dialogue looped. I tested this using CTRL+I, suggesting that looped instances are triggered as banter, rather than romance dialogue.
    Sorry, was later last night (UK time) and forgot that I'd forced a chapter change. I set the chapter to 6 after exiting on the assumption of that being the case once the underdark is completed.

I'm not certain but I think this would play through properly without tinkering but delays the romance continuing until chapter 6. Once variables are altered it is more likely to break. If you really need to progress the romance, jumping elsewhere and setting the chapter before jumping back and setting the chapter back may prevent the looping you are seeing. Hope that helps.
    &
    C:SetGlobal("Chapter","GLOBAL",6)
    JuliusBorisov
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    edited May 2017
    Hi, I'm having the same issue here currently: the "Good Morning" dialogue keeps lopping after two rests. Will Elminster still appear nevertheless or do I need to do something about the loop?
    Post edited by johntyl on