Skip to content

Jan J, Jansen

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
I went to try and recruit Jan for my party, and he gave me the cold shoulder. The first time I met him, I blew him off because I was busy doing something else. Now, apparently, the tempermental midget is miffed and pretending I'm not there when I try and talk to him. Any way to reverse this state of affairs? Hit him with a friends spell maybe? (I'd have already tried that but it's not in our spell repertoire; if it might work though, I'll look for a scroll).
lolienJCDenton

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ah. Oh dear. Yes, I think you have to accept Jan when he first offers to join, or he's miffed and won't. I don't know whether Charming him will change his mind, I haven't tried that. If not, you're probably stuck with either resorting to the cheat codes, or casting Power Word: Reload.
    lolien
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    There is a dialogue option you may choose in order to get him to join you. I'm not sure, but the option might be contingent upon a certain stat score.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Sounds like a bug of some sort to me. He should talk to you even if you do not listen to him the first time.
    lolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Reputation 13, but yeah, charisma is only 9.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I was just reading stuff looking for an answer to this question, and how did I not know about ctrl-Q until now? I'm working really hard not to write in all caps because I am blown AWAY. Oops.
    lolien
    I never heard of it either. What does it do?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @FrdNwsm It's a console cheat. I wouldn't go there in a first playthrough. It might cause quest problems if you recruit people you aren't supposed to.
    lolienArunsun
    Well, I had Nalia use a scroll of friends, which got her charisma to 19 ... Jan still wouldn't join. Ctl-Q has no effect either; maybe it doesn't work with this edition? (BG2:EE v1.3)
  • st_live418st_live418 Member Posts: 41
    FrdNwsm said:

Well, I had Nalia use a scroll of friends, which got her charisma to 19 ... Jan still wouldn't join. Ctl-Q has no effect either; maybe it doesn't work with this edition? (BG2:EE v1.3)

I can attest that the cheats do work in BG2:EE. If you haven't added the proper line to our .ini file then that would be why it isn't working. Its not something that's enabled by default in the game.
    Could you upload your save so I could take a look at it?
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Yes, I think you have to accept Jan when he first offers to join, or he's miffed and won't.

No, I always blow him off at first before finally taking him in as a team member, and I've never had a problem with him. He typically doesn't join my group until after Spellhold, even though I've gone to the Government district several times before that and initially talked to him there.

>> If you haven't added the proper line to our .ini file then that would be why <<
    >>upload your save so I could take a look at it?<<

Haven't a clue how to do stuff like that.
    >>doesn't join my group until after Spellhold,<<

I assume that's a (yet another) quest; haven't had that one surface yet. I'm making do with Yoshimo right now as a thief, but I'd sure rather have a decent thief/mage instead.
    lolien
    As far as ctl-Q; how does that work? I tried it by talking to him then hitting those keys while the talk icon was on him.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    FrdNwsm said:

>>doesn't join my group until after Spellhold,<<

I assume that's a (yet another) quest; haven't had that one surface yet. I'm making do with Yoshimo right now as a thief, but I'd sure rather have a decent thief/mage instead.</p>

It's pretty much thrown in your face, and you won't have anything else to do while on it so don't worry about it.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    If you're on a first play, I strongly recommend not reading about cheats, characters or storylines. There are other thieves if Jan is bugged, and there are enough characters and options to make the game playable again, taking Jan.
    lolien
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Just keep Yoshimo for the sake of the story if it's your first time. Now that you know Jan exists, you can pick him up on your next playthrough.
    Sorry, I shouldn't have brought console cheats up in this thread. Everyone else it right: don't go there in your first (or second or third...) playthrough.
    FrdNwsm said:

>> I'm making do with Yoshimo right now as a thief, but I'd sure rather have a decent thief/mage instead.

Don't worry, you'll get your chance.

semiticgoddess

One time I got him sent to prison. Then got him out and he still joined me

Yes, because the dialogue to grass him up to the tax collector is before he makes the offer to join you, IIRC, so then you've got to bust him out of clink to trigger the offer to join ... and so far as I recall it (although I haven't done it that way for a very long time), it's still necessary to accept the offer when he first makes it, else he's miffed and won't.
    Belanos said:

No, I always blow him off at first before finally taking him in as a team member, and I've never had a problem with him. He typically doesn't join my group until after Spellhold, even though I've gone to the Government district several times before that and initially talked to him there.

You surprise me. However, I've never recruited him that late, I always take him along (if I'm going to take him at all) before Spellhold. Perhaps if he's miffed by being rejected at first meeting, then he gets over it while you're away in Spellhold? I must test this someday ...

Referring to Spellhold ...
    FrdNwsm said:

I assume that's a (yet another) quest; haven't had that one surface yet.

No, actually it's a compulsory part of the main plot-line, you'll learn all about it during Chapter 4. Meanwhile don't worry about it, you'll see what we mean when you get to that part of the story.

You surprise me. However, I've never recruited him that late, I always take him along (if I'm going to take him at all) before Spellhold.

I like having Yoshimo around at first, plus I always have Nalia in my party, so Jan isn't necessary to me early on. It's not until later that his Thief skills come in handy. His Illusionist abilities are more of a bonus for me really.

Did you miss me asking for your save file? I was going to look into fixing Jan for you...
    edited April 2015
    Sorry; I'm not very computer minded. I haven't a clue how to do that. Also I don't think I have any saved slots from that encounter left. Or does that not matter?

I suppose I could always go back and talk to him again.
    edited April 2015
    @FrdNwsm - just below the bottom left corner of the edit box where you enter your comments, you should see a link called "Attach a file". Click on that, and it'll give you an option to browse your computer for the file you want to upload.

Each save consists of several files in a dedicated sub-folder, inside your save folder. The sub-folders for each save are all named in the format nnnnnnnnn-NameYouGaveIt. For example, the latest Quick-Save is always named "000000001-Quick-Save", and so on. ZIP the whole sub-folder into one file, and then that ZIPped archive is the file you want to upload. (How you do a Zip depends on what operating system you're using.)
    lolien
    Heh, I haven't forgotten you, just haven't gotten around to trying it. I'm drowning in sub-quests as it is. I figure Jan can wait.

Also never tried to zip a file; I'm using windows 7.
    From microsoft.com:

1. Locate the file or folder that you want to compress.

2. Right-click the file or folder, point to Send to, and then click Compressed (zipped) folder.

A new compressed folder is created in the same location. To rename it, right-click the folder, click Rename, and then type the new name.
    lolien
  • JCDentonJCDenton Member Posts: 24
    Just encountered the same bug.

When Jan first talked to me in the Government district, I helped him against the tax collector, but after he offered to join, I refused as I planned to take him with me only after I finished all the other NPC quests. Now that I finally came for him, he won't talk to me. When I click on him, nothing happens, I don't even get the "appears busy" dialogue. Its like he doesn't exist anymore.

I could kill him and create a new one through console cheats, but will his quest still work? Or is his quest permanently screwed in this playthrough?

Also, I'm again surprised that bug like this still exists in the game! This is something that was in the game since its first release, yet its still not fixed. Cannot believe this is intended behaviour as every other NPC in the game still talks to you even if you refuse them first time they offer to join.

Is this thing impossible to fix or is it just one of those things that nobody ever bothered to fix?
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    I think it depends on exactly which option you pick when you decline him the 1st time. I always pick the least offensive option and have never had any issues picking him up in his house later on.

As for CTRL+Q then you must have the console enabled for it to work, just hover the cursor over him and the command should force him into the party.

I suppose it is possible there are various game variables that would prevent him from joining based upon other choices made, quests completed and the like. AFAIK if you force him to join with CTRL Q it should allow his quest to trigger, but you may want to console in beeloo via C:CreateCreature("beeloo") just outside Jan's home to check and save wasting time waiting for him to appear.
    JCDenton