Skip to content

How to use custom portraits (BG1, BG:EE, BG2, BG2:EE, IWD, IWD:EE, IWD2)

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    @A_Muller

Have u tried to create a smaller version of that picture and stick it in the portraits/override folder with the name "NAERIES"? The small version should be 54x84. Have u tried quitting the game and restarting? That fixed it for us in multiplayer.

If that fails (though I don't know why it would), try to edit it with EE Keeper.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-2/p1

Edit: nvm... I see it's solved.
    ghostowl
  • CurmudgeonCurmudgeon Member Posts: 57
    @Kilivitz‌
    Thanks for taking the trouble to make this thread.
    May I suggest that you change the line below in the OP:
    Large - 210x300 (not required - character creation screen)
    to
    Large - 210x330 (not required - character creation screen)
  • crusader7crusader7 Member Posts: 3
    sup all can anyone do this work for me (i know im a a..hole) changing these pics into ones that can work not good at this

from what i noticed they are all jpeg images while the images that are allowed are bitmap so ??? there are more but for now these are the ones i want
  • crusader7crusader7 Member Posts: 3
    never mind found out
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2014
    Original post updated. Since v1.2 you no longer need more than one image file.

There's still some outdated info, I know. I'll get to it as soon as I can.
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • Xandria68Xandria68 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    I found an awesome online picture resizer. It is very user friendly. And for people like me who are less tech savvy, it's a life saver.

http://www.picresize.com/api?fetch=http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_1634b17ed5ed73efd12c4fe988650690e.bmp
    Kilivitz
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    What am I doing wrong? I have recently reinstalled BGEE and patched to 1.3.

I cannot get NPC portraits to change to my custom portraits, and I am sure it is something super easy.

My custom portraits work great for character creation, just not for NPCs:(

They are 24 bit 210x330 bitmaps named ImoenL.bmp; JaheiraL.bmp; NeeraL.bmp

I have tried putting them in the following locations:

\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\override
    \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits
    \BeamDog\00766\override
    \BeamDog\00766\portraits
    @j3cwill‌
    I am not sure if there is a more elegant solution, but for the NPC portraits, I think you do need at least the medium sized versions of the portraits. I don't think the game picks up the large versions and resizes appropriately like it does for PCs.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JitterBugJitterBug Member Posts: 37
    I've an issue, I'm using 2 different portraits, 1 for the "Record" and another for the bar on the right that shows your self and party members. The one used for the Record screen keeps switching to the smaller one used on the party bar when ever I load. The one used for the party bar is 210,330 and the one used for the Record screen is 510,805 which I figure is about what the ratio is. It looks good while its there and it lets me use it but just keeps switching for the other.
  • JitterBugJitterBug Member Posts: 37
    @j3cwill You've presumably found a solution by now, but incase you haven't I put my replacement portaits in an "Override" folder in the game directory. Got to be sure to name them correctly though and have one for each size that will be found in the game, for instance imoenL, imoenM, and imoenS.
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    @JitterBug‌
    Yeah, I actually did figure it out. I believe that my problem was that I did not have all of the sizes in the folder. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Jd_KenisJd_Kenis Member Posts: 1
    solution

1. make a "Portraits" on My Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
    2. take a portrait with normal specifications.

Portrait name must be 8 characters or less and putting an "N" at the beginning

ej: NIMOENL

if the name is longer removes the last letter before L, M, S

ej: NYOSHIML
    (Yoshimo)

characters beginning with "N" remain so.

• harperfan7harperfan7 Member Posts: 30
    I'm having trouble with some pics. I resize them to 210x330 pixels, name them elfwarL.bmp (24 bit map), and put them in the portraits folder...but when I go to select it in custom portraits, it always tells me they are too big

what am I doing wrong?
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I have a problem with this. I ha ve created a portraits folder for the game but it keeps not showing the portraits on the create a character mode.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage where did you crate the folder exactly?
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    kaguana said:

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage where did you crate the folder exactly?

I created a portraits folder both outside and inside the ''00766'' folder withja couple of portraits i made.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage‌ At the portraits folder you need to crate inside the My Documents baldursgate folder then it will work.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    kaguana said:

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage‌ At the portraits folder you need to crate inside the My Documents baldursgate folder then it will work.

Thank you very much. :D

kaguanaJuliusBorisovlolien
  • bori85bori85 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to replace Aeries portraits. These are the files I am using. As you can see, they are correctly named, they are in both the portraits and the override folder, they are the correct format and size, and yet the game is only showing a grey question mark for Aeries portrait. As far as I am concerned, this has ruined my game. I would gladly go back to her original portrait, but am fond of tinkering and modding and thought this would be fun. It's not. What in the world am I doing wrong? How can I get her original portraits back? This is absolutely infuriating.
  • UtopolystUtopolyst Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to make everybody aware, that the pics don't have to have three sizes (resp. 2 sizes). Actually it's quite bad to make them anything smaller than 210x330 (or at least 110x170) since the PORTRAITS.bmp will upscale on normal monitors (720p+) leading to really bad and blurry pics. You can see this with NPC pics as well as the sidebar pics. However, BGEE will downscale any 210x330 pics.

DOWNSCALING IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN UPSCALING BECAUSE IT KEEPS YOUR PICS NICE AND CRISP!

Because of this misconception on how pictures work with BGEE I've made a mod here to get rid of the terrible, terrible blurry pics:
    http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1114-the-picture-standard-for-bgee/

PLEASE UPDATE THIS FORUM ACCORDINGLY.

Cheers,

Uto

P.S. Of course there should be three different PERSPECTIVES: L = almost full body, M = torso and head, S = portrait. BUT STILL: ALL SIZES SHOULD BE 210x330!!!
    Ray22lolien
  • AerkenAerken Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem doing this with a few portraits I am trying to convert to .bmp from .png.

I am making sure they follow the guidelines exactly: They are 210X300, named perfectly, 24 bit .bmps. They are even exactly the same resolution and take up the same amount of storage space on the hard drive.

However, they do not work. Every time I select it in the character creation menu I get the message "The Image you selected is too large."

Does anyone have any idea how that can be fixed? Or what might be causing it?
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    This might be obvious, but I get that problem when I've put a portrait in while the game is running. It doesn't like it until I quit and reload.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Aerken Is that a typo? The large portraits should be 210x330.
  • AerkenAerken Member Posts: 2
    Heindrich said:

@Aerken Is that a typo? The large portraits should be 210x330.

Yes it is a typo.
    Hudzy said:

This might be obvious, but I get that problem when I've put a portrait in while the game is running. It doesn't like it until I quit and reload.

For a few of them this worked, but for one particularly stubborn one it still freaks out on me.

I just ended up using another portrait I made which did work. I am just going to assume that computer weirdness is weird.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SewerusVSewerusV Member Posts: 4
    Can someone explain me why those bmp files has to be 24 bit ?
  • cesil123cesil123 Member Posts: 3
    Jd_Kenis said:

solution

1. make a "Portraits" on My Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
    2. take a portrait with normal specifications.

Portrait name must be 8 characters or less and putting an "N" at the beginning

ej: NIMOENL

if the name is longer removes the last letter before L, M, S

ej: NYOSHIML
    (Yoshimo)

characters beginning with "N" remain so.

You are the one. It works.
    Thank u. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • amrose2amrose2 Member Posts: 1
    Sad nobody was able to figure out the "too large" bug. It only happens when trying to change a portrait from a save file. I can use the exact same portrait when making a new character no problem.

Wish EE Keeper would let you change your savegame portraits, but it will only list default ones.

Anyone able to work around this?
  • AnthedonAnthedon Member Posts: 26
    amrose2 said:

Sad nobody was able to figure out the "too large" bug. It only happens when trying to change a portrait from a save file. I can use the exact same portrait when making a new character no problem.

Wish EE Keeper would let you change your savegame portraits, but it will only list default ones.

Anyone able to work around this?

Do you mean the game only uses the same frame for all sizes? If so, I've got the same issue. The character screen, portrait, etc. all use the full version of the picture which shows half the character instead of just the head for the sidebar.
  • AnubisAnubis Member Posts: 2
    Anthedon said:

Do you mean the game only uses the same frame for all sizes? If so, I've got the same issue. The character screen, portrait, etc. all use the full version of the picture which shows half the character instead of just the head for the sidebar.

Same problem here. Quite a game breaker. For me at least... oh well, seems I need to shelf that game longer than I'd hoped. So many bugs after 2.0 *sigh*

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    @Anubis, be sure to enable UI scaling in the settings, that way the sidebar becomes bigger (assuming you're playing on a modern screen resolution) and then you won't mind it so much that it shows the same "upper body" portraits as the character record screen rather than just the heads.