Skip to content

Terry Pratchett Quotes

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
I have been posting Terry Pratchett quotes in my profile for a while since I think he's an author that should never be forgotten. I just decided this deserves a thread though. So here it is. Feel free to post your favorite quotes.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man; he had the Vote.
    -- Terry Pratchett, "Mort"
    All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
    -- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
    Brutha: "I mean about ... what gods are ... how gods came to exist."
    Barman: "Gods don't like that sort of thing. We get that in here some nights, when someone's had a few. Cosmic speculation about whether gods really exist. Next thing, there's a bolt of lightning through the roof with a note wrapped around it saying 'Yes, we do' and a pair of sandals with smoke coming out. That sort of thing, it takes all the interest out of metaphysical speculation."
    -- Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"
    He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe
    Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one.
    -- Terry Pratchett, "Mort"
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.”
    ― Pratchett is credited as author of this, as quoted in Ghost Cats : Human Encounters with Feline Spirits (2007) by Dusty Rainbolt, p. 7, and in Chicken Soup for the Soul : What I Learned from the Cat (2009) by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Amy Newmark
    edited March 2015
    Nigel gave the lamp a cautious buff and small smoking red letters appeared in the air.
    Hi, Nigel read aloud, Do not put down the lamp because your custom is important to us. Please leave a wish after the tone and, very shortly, it will be our command. In the meantime, have a nice eternity.
    -- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    My favorite quote by Havelock Vetinari and usually my mind-set when I rarely play evil characters.

"...one day when I was a young boy on holiday in Uberwald I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, I'm sure you'll agree, and even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged onto a half submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters, who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature's wonders, gentlemen. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    "It doesn't take much to make us flip back into monkeys again." ― Daily Mail interview, 2008

Less. And less. And less, every day.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I always felt pyramids was based on a D&D game @kiwidoc . To pass his assassins exam he rolled a 20 if you remember the book...
    edited March 2015
    @Anduin He uses that image a lot... I think it's in guards! guards! he implies the gods actually play RPGs using the real world.... and one of them just rolled a 6 :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @Anduin and @mlnevese I have always thought Pratchett should be compulsory reading for any roleplayes - well he should be complusory reading foreveryone but particularly roleplayers. I'm sure the Broken/Mended Drum is the archetypal tavern where adventurers meet and plan.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    "The truth is that even big collections of ordinary books distort space, as can readily be proved by anyone who has been around a really old-fashioned secondhand bookshop, one of those that look as though they were designed by M. Escher on a bad day and has more staircases than storys and those rows of shelves which end in little doors that are surely too small for a full-sized human to enter. The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." and with that single bout of absolutely phenomenal fit of troll logic I became a fan of Terry Pratchett
    There's a saying that all roads lead to Ankh-Morpork. And it's wrong. All roads lead away from Ankh-Morpork, but sometimes people just walk along them the wrong way.
    -- Terry Pratchett, "Moving Pictures"
    Wizards had always known that the act of observation changed the thing that was observed, and sometimes forgot that it also changed the observer too.
    -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting times
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    More of a page of dialogue than a quote, but being a necro- er, Member of Postmortem Communications myself (who is NOT evil, mind you!) I always smile at this.

'I thought necromancy was banned,' said Moist.

'Oh, we don't do necromancy here,' said Hicks. 'What made you
    think that?'

Moist looked around at the furnishings, shrugged, and said, 'Well,
    I suppose it first crossed my mind when I saw the way the paint was flaking off the door and you can still just see a crude skull and the letters NECR…'

'Ancient history, ancient history,' said Hicks quickly. 'We are the
    Department of Post-Mortem Communications. A force for good, you understand. Necromancy, on the other hand, is a very bad form of magic done by evil wizards.'

'And since you are not evil wizards, what you are doing can't be
    called necromancy?'

'Exactly!'

'And, er, what defines an evil wizard?' said Adora Belle.

'Well, doing necromancy would definitely be there right on top of
    the list.'

'Could you just remind us what you are going to do?'

'We're going to talk to the late Professor Flead,' said Hicks.

'Who is dead, yes?'

'Very much so. Extremely dead.'

'Isn't that just a tiny bit like necromancy?'

'Ah, but, you see, for necromancy you require skulls and bones
    and a general necropolitan feel. . .'

Making Money was great~.
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138
    “I'm your worst nightmare!' said Teatime cheerfully.
    The man shuddered.
    'You mean ... the one with the giant cabbage and the sort of whirring knife thing?'
    'Sorry?' Teatime looked momentarily nonplussed.
    'Then you're the one where I'm falling, only instead of the ground underneath it's all --'
    'No. In fact I'm --'
    The guard sagged. 'Awww, not the one where there's all this kind of, you know, mud and then everything goes blue --'
    'No, I'm --'
    'Oh, shit, then you're the one where there's this door only there's no floor beyond it and then there's these claws --'
    'No,' said Teatime. 'Not that one.' He withdrew a dagger from his sleeve. 'I'm the one where this man comes out of nowhere and kills you, stone dead.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather