Skip to content

fully modded IWDEE... on an iPad

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited March 2015 in IWD:EE Mods
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

A NOTE TO BEAMDOG:

Just a few things:

1) It's really, really a shame that people have to jailbreak to do this. I can't update my iPad now, which creates a real security risk. The only reason jailbreaking I s necessary is to get access to the dialog.tlk file. I seriously can't fathom that Apple won't let you put a simple text file in a user-accessible directory! Please, I beg you, try to figure out if you can move it. Or put a symlink of it in the Portraits folder, or *something.* Many many people will thank you.

2) There has been much discussion of the touch UI used in these game ports. The original games make use of a keyboard, and a mouse with five possible inputs: 1) left-click, 2) right-click, 3) left-click-and-drag, 4) right-click-and-drag, and 5) double-left-click. The tablet version is already missing a keyboard, so those five mouse inputs are that much more important. Yet, only the first three work in iOS. Fully 40% of the possible inputs are not implemented. It's been for sale for a long time, and we've seen zero improvement in this regard. You guys have seen great critical praise lately, and had strong sales. You deserve all that success... but by the same token, your loyal customers deserve more progress in the tablet UI.

3) Externalize concentration check on damage! Yeah, it has nothing to do with the iOS games in particular :P... but I want to be able to mod it, and so do other people, and if you give us these three things I will quite happily buy and mod the other two games on iOS, and help other people do so as well, and also buy and mod all of your future games.

Cheers!

*Bows down in total agreement*
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

A NOTE TO BEAMDOG:

Just a few things:

1) It's really, really a shame that people have to jailbreak to do this. I can't update my iPad now, which creates a real security risk. The only reason jailbreaking I s necessary is to get access to the dialog.tlk file. I seriously can't fathom that Apple won't let you put a simple text file in a user-accessible directory! Please, I beg you, try to figure out if you can move it. Or put a symlink of it in the Portraits folder, or *something.* Many many people will thank you.

2) There has been much discussion of the touch UI used in these game ports. The original games make use of a keyboard, and a mouse with five possible inputs: 1) left-click, 2) right-click, 3) left-click-and-drag, 4) right-click-and-drag, and 5) double-left-click. The tablet version is already missing a keyboard, so those five mouse inputs are that much more important. Yet, only the first three work in iOS. Fully 40% of the possible inputs are not implemented. It's been for sale for a long time, and we've seen zero improvement in this regard. You guys have seen great critical praise lately, and had strong sales. You deserve all that success... but by the same token, your loyal customers deserve more progress in the tablet UI.

3) Externalize concentration check on damage! Yeah, it has nothing to do with the iOS games in particular :P... but I want to be able to mod it, and so do other people, and if you give us these three things I will quite happily buy and mod the other two games on iOS, and help other people do so as well, and also buy and mod all of your future games.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, Please, allow us to modify dialog.tlk on ios. It is such a simple and trivial thing but this makes ultimate modding a no-go for many users.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    Want to try dropping this beside your Baldur.ini on your iPad(do not extract it, just put the lang.zip there)? If it works then you should see the game text in German.

The steps are a little convoluted, but it's basically as follows
    1: create the directory structure that matches where the game would find dialog.tlk
    2: drop the dialog.tlk in the correct location. In the above zip file file I created lang/en_US, and then copied the german dialog.tlk into it.
    3: When you create the zip, make sure you specify STORE compressions(aka: no compression).
    4: Download http://www.scottbrooks.ca/centralfix.exe and drag/drop your zip on it, or run it from the command line.
    5: Copy that zip file beside your Baldur.ini on your ipad.
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2015
    Holy cow... that worked great, also for BG1/2EE... :smile:

Could you give access to the source code for the centralfix, maybe someone could integrate this in WeiDu... ;)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited April 2015
    You have GOT to be kidding me. I removed the jailbreak on my iPad LAST WEEK. goddamnit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    edited April 2015
    Thankfully, it's in go, so it builds pretty easy. If you download go from https://golang.org/dl/
    You'll want the go1.4.2.darwin-amd64-osx10.8.pkg
    Then if you run

go build centralfix.go
    Then you should have a centralfix binary that you can do

./centralfix myfile.zip
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159

Want to try dropping this beside your Baldur.ini on your iPad(do not extract it, just put the lang.zip there)? If it works then you should see the game text in German.

The steps are a little convoluted, but it's basically as follows
    1: create the directory structure that matches where the game would find dialog.tlk
    2: drop the dialog.tlk in the correct location. In the above zip file file I created lang/en_US, and then copied the german dialog.tlk into it.
    3: When you create the zip, make sure you specify STORE compressions(aka: no compression).
    4: Download http://www.scottbrooks.ca/centralfix.exe and drag/drop your zip on it, or run it from the command line.
    5: Copy that zip file beside your Baldur.ini on your ipad.

Sorry for super-necroing a post, but can people confirm this working with any present mods? I'm getting mixed messages about whether .tlks can be worked around.

And is Scott Brooks a part of the Beamdog team?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Brer_Rabbit,

And is Scott Brooks a part of the Beamdog team?

Yes, he's one of the leading team members doing engine programming.
  • ckweezyckweezy Member Posts: 1
    any chance someone could reupload the centralfix.exe? :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Sure.
  • catch6229catch6229 Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2016
    Hey guys, quick question. I followed the exact process detailed here for a BG2 install. All of the actual gameplay features installed correctly - I installed multiple strongholds, WeiDu item mods, few new NPC, etc. And I see all the new characters. However, something screwed up with the language file. For some reason none of the dialog shows up. Whenever I click to chat with a character I always get a string of "invalid XXXXXXXX" dialog boxes.

First I tried to replace the Dialog.tlk file simply - just by copying over the "modded" dialog.tlk file from my modded directory to my Ipad one. Didn't work. Then i followed the instruction above, zipped the dialog.tlk file in my en_US folder (Store Compression). and I put that file in the main directory where the Baldur.ini file should be on the Ipad (for safe measure i also put the zip inside the Lang folder and in the en_US folder) - still didn't work.

Kinda lost as to what to do going forward, any advice?

Post edited by catch6229 on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • catch6229catch6229 Member Posts: 29
    ugh. Well, if its gotta be done its gotta be done. I thought i was good about just selecting English but maybe I screwed up.

Do you still recommend the zip version of Dialog.tlk or can i just replace the file on my ipad via IFunBox (thats how I've been uploading)? If its the zip, definitively I put in (in zipped format), in the main subfolder of the Ipad BG2 (where, on the PC copy, the Baldur.ini file is located).