Skip to content

Gorion's death doesn't make sense?

2»

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    elminster said:

Besides his level mechanically is it ever actually stated that Gorion is a level 9 mage?

Edit: I just realized my mistake in asking this. Next someone is going to quote from the Baldur's Gate novel hehe.

Gorion gets an arrow to the neck in the novel if I recall the horror stories correctly.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347

Gorion didn't die, it was just his simulacrum. He's actually Elminster.

edit: oops, wrong thread!

... I had to sit and think about this for awhile.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Wait Gorion's a ninth level mage?
    Then how exactly was he instrumental in injuring Firkraag? Firkraag goes on about Gorion and his Harper allies, but all the focus is on Gorion, to the point he still holds a grudge even after Gorion's been dead for quite a long while.
    Was he some sort of special ninth level mage with extra special bullshit powers or were all of his Harper allies high level adventurers with him being a low level tag along?
    I doubt the former and if the latter is true, then why is Firkraag so fixated on Gorion and not the high level Harpers that could actually do something to him?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Wait Gorion's a ninth level mage?
    Then how exactly was he instrumental in injuring Firkraag? Firkraag goes on about Gorion and his Harper allies, but all the focus is on Gorion, to the point he still holds a grudge even after Gorion's been dead for quite a long while.
    Was he some sort of special ninth level mage with extra special bullshit powers or were all of his Harper allies high level adventurers with him being a low level tag along?
    I doubt the former and if the latter is true, then why is Firkraag so fixated on Gorion and not the high level Harpers that could actually do something to him?

He is an old man who hasn't adventurered in a long time. He was probably level 12-14 back in the day. But decades of never casting a combat spell, easy living, and old age, made him less effective.

Well, that is my guess.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Why is Gorion considered a 9th level Mage ? He is able to cast Protection from Magical Weapons and has a Contingency ready at the start of the fight, which means he is atleast level 12.
  • ArnaeusArnaeus Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2015
    Gotural said:

Why is Gorion considered a 9th level Mage ? He is able to cast Protection from Magical Weapons and has a Contingency ready at the start of the fight, which means he is atleast level 12.

I am forced to concur with this thought. He may be 9th level in the game files but I don't think that's enough to make it canon given they knew the only fight he'd ever be in is scripted and he can't be killed otherwise. I doubt they implemented all of Elminsters levels either.

Are there any sources that cite him as 9th level.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    If you walk backwards, I think you actually *lose* experience and levels. All of those hours wasted on trying to perfect the moonwalk clearly caught up with Gorion.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2015
    Arnaeus said:

I am forced to concur with this thought. He may be 9th level in the game files but I don't think that's enough to make it canon given they knew the only fight he'd ever be in is scripted and he can't be killed otherwise. I doubt they implemented all of Elminsters levels either.

Are there any sources that cite him as 9th level.

Elminster's 29/30 in the game files.

We should keep in mind that before the EE was the original Baldur's Gate. And in the original cut-scene he doesn't cast any fancy spells. If I remember correctly, only level 3 or lower. He's still level 9, though.

But it's not the point, though. The point is, Bioware could've made him any level, really. In Candlekeep, he has hundreds of HP, and in the cut-scene he has still more hp than it's possible for a level 9 mage with his constitution. And he dies because "the timer's up", not because his HP are being depleted, anyway. To wrap it up: personally, I don't believe that Gorion is level 9 due to technical reasons.