Skip to content

Has the difficulty been toned down in BG:EE?

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
I play both BGEE and BGT due to the latter having more mod compatibility, and BGEE seems to have an easier start. I played both on core difficulty without mods.

In BGT, I occasionally met dire wolves and even dread wolves(650xp!) in the first area after I left candlekeep. In my last play, I killed 2 dread wolves on that map alone without resting. However, I haven't seen dread wolves in BGEE so far and the number of spawns seem less in BGEE.

I'm not a fanatic purist but lowering difficulty, if true, seems bad because it breaks the immersion for me. I love the feeling of accomplishment from being desperate and weak in BG1's start and becoming more powerful later on. Could anyone confirm/deny this?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    BGEE's encounters reflect how the original game handled things, not how TuTu handles things.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2015
    elminster said:

BGEE's encounters reflect how the original game handled things, not how TuTu handles things.

Do you mind elaborating on the difference? I am genuinely curious.

Wasn't the difficulty a lot harder in BG1 due to lower movement speed and what not?

(BTW, I checked Tarnesh HP and it was 12 in BGT. My mistake there.)
  • DruericDrueric Member Posts: 42
    I got the game recently and been playing, and to me it seems easier than I remember also, but then I am also a more experienced gamer since the last time I played the original game. I do not think it is actually any different.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Maybe your just awesome!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    There were no dire wolves in the first area of vanilla (unmodded) BG.

By installing Tutu, you have missed the game which seems to have hanged some encounters.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Dread and dire wolves are for pansies. BGEE takes it up a notch and puts vampiric wolves in the newbie areas. That said, some of the new kits and such do trivilize the game, though. You're not looking very hard if you're not finding tougher wolves in the newbie areas.
    JuliusBorisov
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    I think those wolf spawns are randomized. I've got chewed apart by powerful ones, reloaded, then met normal ones.

Kobold Commando respawns in firewine ruins are vicious (and comparing my two playthroughs of EE I think the number of them scale with party level). Random enemy respawns in general IMO seem a little buggy in EE, and I get the feeling that the Nashkel Mine is a bit sparsely populated compared to what I remember in the days of old.
    IntoTheDarkness
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @IntoTheDarkness - yes, BGee has been made easier by turning down the re-spawn rates. However, just a few hours ago I met both Dire Wolves and even Dread Wolves in the first area beyond Candlekeep, so I reckon it was just coincidence that you found them in BGT but not BGee.
    deltago said:

There were no dire wolves in the first area of vanilla (unmodded) BG.

I haven't been back to vanilla for a long time, but my recollection disagrees. I'm pretty sure the first time I ever got killed in vBG1 was by a Dire Wolf in the first area, so it stuck in my mind.
    Jidokwon said:

Dread and dire wolves are for pansies. BGEE takes it up a notch and puts vampiric wolves in the newbie areas.

In the area immediately north of Nashkel, yes, Vampiric Wolves can sometimes appear ... only at a spawn point well off the road, however, so I think this is the designers' way of telling newbies to stay on the road until they know what they're doing. Vampiric Wolves don't seem to appear in the very first area out of Candlekeep, though.

Vampiric Wolves will always appear on the Temple map, but that was also true in original BG1, not a new feature in BGee. And I always interpreted that as the devs' warning me (correctly, considering where they appear!) that I was approaching an area intended for more experienced parties.
    hispls said:

Kobold Commando respawns in firewine ruins are vicious (and comparing my two playthroughs of EE I think the number of them scale with party level).

WTF? One of the most prominent nerfs in BGee is the entire lack of respawns in the Firewine Ruins! They used to respawn viciously in original BG1 ...

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

Vampiric Wolves will always appear on the Temple map, but that was also true in original BG1, not a new feature in BGee.

The Vampiric Wolves at the Temple area are not random spawns - you will meet them at the same location in every playthrough. These and the ones inside the ruins of Ulcaster.

One of the most prominent nerfs in BGee is the entire lack of respawns in the Firewine Ruins! They used to respawn viciously in original BG1...

I have to admit, this is the one nerf I really don't mind. The completionist in me always sort of dreaded going into that dungeon. Now it's a breeze, except for that damn Mage who insists on casting Lightning Bolt.
    JuliusBorisov
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    You obviously haven't run into the '12 bandit ambush' yet. Usually that's instadeath at those levels.
    elminsterMetallomanJuliusBorisovprocco
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    decado said:

You obviously haven't run into the '12 bandit ambush' yet. Usually that's instadeath at those levels.

*You have been waylaid by enemies, and must def...*

*Death*

*...end yourself*

JuliusBorisov