Skip to content

Copyright violation? Neverwinter online - steam marketing

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
Sup ppl, i found this on STEAM plataform, sometimes (not always) and only in the main showcase of the site the following image appears:

copyright violation
adult image

So... someone correct if i'm wrong, but that's minsc plain and simple, no?

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Sure. But Minsc is owned by Wizards of the Coast so as long as Neverwinter is their intellectual property it should be fair game.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    deltago said:

Sure. But Minsc is owned by Wizards of the Coast so as long as Neverwinter is their intellectual property it should be fair game.

but 100% of the copyright is on their holding?
  • ThatTwitchyGuyThatTwitchyGuy Member Posts: 23
    Considering how Minsc is now in the game, I'd say it's perfectly fine for them to advertise it with an image of him.
    proccojackjack

Considering how Minsc is now in the game, I'd say it's perfectly fine for them to advertise it with an image of him.

then my mystake, they have the copyrights, maybe. A shame waste him on a money grab game like that.
  • ThatTwitchyGuyThatTwitchyGuy Member Posts: 23
    There's no maybe about it, Wizards of the Coast are the ones who tell the Neverwinter developers what to put into the game. The only way it would be a copyright violation would be if it were a completely different game claiming to have made Minsc and Boo all on their own, but with it being an official D&D game owned by WOTC, there isn't a problem.

And with every expansion connecting to major events in the Forgotten Realms lineup, it only makes sense that Minsc and Boo would show up, what with the popularity of the comics and all. A bit gimmicky yes, but still somewhat enjoyable.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @kamuizin: what's that link for?

Anyway, maybe an admin here could answer you, as I believe they have more chances to gather specific infos about that matter. @Jalily?
    edited April 2015
    Dee said:

Minsc and Boo are now part of Forgotten Realms canon (which is exciting, to be sure). As such, they can be used in official D&D products. Neverwinter Online has been advertised on WotC's own website, so I'd say it's about as kosher as it gets. Good to see Minsc getting more press!

but bad seeing him being used as bait for that money grab game. I played it, a lot in fact, and i can say in first view that the attempt to make later levels be entirely paid is so disgusting that i abandoned my account.

On paid games, i prefer to pay a monthly fee (fair amount, not that crazy shit elder scroll online charge) thay pay to get advantage.
    Post edited by kamuizin on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The whole boo and minsc thing has been used to death even by bioware (you can see references to them in the mass effect and dragon age series). So honestly it doesn't surprise me that they are popular and therefore are getting used for commercial reasons.
    kamuizinmeaglothjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    kamuizin said:

Dee said:

Minsc and Boo are now part of Forgotten Realms canon (which is exciting, to be sure). As such, they can be used in official D&D products. Neverwinter Online has been advertised on WotC's own website, so I'd say it's about as kosher as it gets. Good to see Minsc getting more press!

but bad seeing him being used as bait for that money grab game. I played it, a lot in fact, and i can say in first view that the attempt to make later levels be entirely paid is so disgusting that i abandoned my account.

On paid games, i prefer to pay a monthly fee (fair amount, not that crazy shit elder scroll online charge) thay pay to get advantage.
    Eh, it's no more of a money grab than Marvel using Spider-Man on something. Besides, it could bring Baldur's Gate to the attention of younger gamers who may have otherwise missed it.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2015
    "Wait, but isn't Minsc a bartender with long red hair by canon of the books?!"
    No, the books don't exist. They are a lie.
    MetallomanjackjackswitJuliusBorisov
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited April 2015
    I approve of Minsc and Boo. They should appear in as many games as possible. :)

BTW, it's not the first time the Neverwinter team tries to connect with the baldur's gate. Some time ago they were giving out golden pantallons during an event.

EDIT: If people want to know, in the Neverwinter MMO, Minsc is in the central square in the city of Neverwinter. Obviously they want as many people as possible to see him.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @kamuizin To add to what @Dee told, I'd like to mention http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/39608/minsc-boo-in-neverwinter-xd#latest

@Akerhon came here to explain things about this MMO, Minsc included. So, it's perfectly legit.