Skip to content

Which game should I do next on my to-do list?

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
So I have a really long list of RPGs I need to play and beat. I finished Bravely Default, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Pillars of Eternity which were my main concerns. I need help choosing what I should do next after I beat Pool of Radiance.

This list is as follows:
Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 (I've beat them all individually but never did transfer my game from 1 to 2 to 3).

Dragon Age series (I've beaten DA:O and DA:I, picked up DA:II recently so I should probably do them in order and transfer saves and such)

Temple of Elemental Evil (Co8 mod of course)
NWN Expansions (I've done the OC)
NWN2 in its entirety.
Planescape: Torment
Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall
Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (I've beaten Arena and Oblivion)
Divinity: Original Sin
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity
Legend of Grimrock
Menzoberranzan
Champions of Krynn (Gold Box games)
The rest of the Pool of Radiance series (Gold Box Games)
The Witcher 1
Shadowrun Returns
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Playing on PC and I haven't picked up a controller >_>)
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
Icewind Dale: II
Knights of the Old Republic 2 (I'll install the Restored Content mod if I can figure out how to)
Wizardry 8 (I've never played any of the Wizardry games so If I should start with another game just say)
And finally, Warcraft II.

I've been buying RPGs for the past like 5 years and never completing them so I've made it my mission now to go through and beat ALL OF THEM!. . . slowly. I like taking my time with games I enjoy.

I also have plans this Summer to make my Alora NPC/Romance mod and finally beat Throne of Bhaal. I should probably finish the game before I work on the mod so I can set up the Alora mod to work with ToB.

The Dragon Age and Mass Effect runs are on lower priority since I've beaten them before, just not all in order (I played ME2 then ME3, and went back to ME1 and played DA:O, then DA:I, and have yet to play DA:II).

Soooooo, any particular one of these I should do first or should I just go at random?
kcwiseJuliusBorisovTeflonNonnahswriter

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I wish you luck on your adventure! The rest of the Gold Box games are a good choice, but just about any of the games on your list should be fun.
    VallmyrJuliusBorisov
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    edited April 2015
    I strongly recommend playing Planescape: Torment, since that's where Pillars of Eternity got it's dialogue style. Durance and Grieving Mother were written by Chris Avellone, who was the main guy while developing PS:T the way it is (hint: perfect). The story and characters are simply the best out of any cRPG, computer game, or any media, in my opinion at least. The game can change the way you think and is one of those that you should play before you die.

Some people complain about the combat, but I find it as enjoyable as the other parts of the game, since it's Infinity Engine, so it's similar to BG, but with its quirks.
    VallmyrkcwiseJuliusBorisovFaydark
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited April 2015
    Tuth said:

I strongly recommend playing Planescape: Torment, since that's where Pillars of Eternity got it's dialogue style. Durance and Grieveing Mother were written by Chris Avellone, who was the main guy while developing PS:T the way it is (hint: perfect). The story and characters are simply the best out of any cRPG, computer game, or any media, in my opinion at least. The game can change the way you think and is one of those that you should play before you die.

Some people complain about the combat, but I find it as enjoyable as the other parts of the game, since it's Infinity Engine, so it's similar to BG, but with its quirks.

Well, that's great since during Durance's quest I had a weird moment were he felt incredibly *real* and it was AMAZING. I was like O_O WOAH
    Durance!
    Calm down!
    It's going to be ok! o_o

Durance then became my second favorite character (right after Sagani).

I think I might do

Pool of Radiance (Still need to finish it)
    Planescape: Torment
    all of NWN2
    and then Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Go on an Obsidian game spree XD
    kcwise
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    One set that you don't have on your list, if you can track them down, are the Sierra Quest for Glory games. These are set up to play as an adventure game, but are also built on top of a very satisfying (for me) RPG engine as well - no xp per se, more like the Elder Scrolls games where you advance by using your skills.

If you enjoyed the action-RPG play of Mass Effect, the original classics are the two system shock games. I never did beat them back in the day, and no longer have the twitch skills to even try - old-school hard. (I ultimately beat all 3 Mass Effect game on insanity, so know the difference :))

For myself, I'm probably planning that trilogy play through, as the ME3 DLC was not available when I first beat it. But if you took an ME2 character into ME3, and were completionist through ME2 (whole party survived the 'suicide mission') then you will have seen most of what ME3 can offer. If you played a fresh ME3 game starting at level 1, you probably missed 20-30% of the game (and had an interesting under-leveled end-game to boot!) There is not as much carries over from ME1 all the way to ME3.

Planescape:Torment is an interesting game. It is more of a rich text adventure in a graphical RPG world, than an out and out RPG like Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale, despite being on the same engine. Go in expecting that, and you will really have a great time.

With the NWN games, I seem to be the odd one out that greatly prefers NWN2 to the original, assuming you get the patches.

I don't know as much about the other games on your list, but if you are just coming to the end of Pools of Radiance, I would probably recommend finishing off the gold box spree. I remember having a lot of fun with the later games, back in the day, but probably some things are better left as rosy memories :)
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseVallmyr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, that's one **ll of a list you've got there, @Vallmyr !

You're really lucky not to have tried all those games yet... you have a wonderful chance to get tons of excitement in the nearest future.

I feel happy for you!
    kcwiseTeflonVallmyrFaydark
    edited April 2015
    I also now remember I own Diablo II and Systemshock 2 which I also need to beat.
    >_>
    <_<
    >_<

Edit: I have my brother's old Diablo II discs but never fully played it. Super hype since most people seem to talk about how the DII Necromancer is the best Necromancer in a Video Game.
    kcwiseTeflonJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Dragon Age 2.

Just so you can fill in the gaps and know the back story to the plot and some characters in Inquistion.

The story is engaging, and can be finished quickly (think D2 main quest).
    Vallmyrkcwisecmk24JuliusBorisov
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @Vallmyr I'm going to have to go with Everquests Necromancer for best Necromancer in a video game. But I had a lot of fun with the one in D2 as well, I'll admit. =D
    Vallmyrkcwise
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Shadowrun Returns is super short. You can knock it out in a day. It's pretty good, but probably better for someone who has actually played Shadowrun (I have not). Dragonfall is supposed to be quite a bit better and longer, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
    PS:T should be high on the list, though. I still have not finished that game yet because I am stuck on one section with really brutal combat that I can't seem to avoid or beat, no matter what I do. It's frustrating, but man, is that game awesome!
    VallmyrkcwiseTeflonJuliusBorisov
    Faydark said:

@Vallmyr I'm going to have to go with Everquests Necromancer for best Necromancer in a video game. But I had a lot of fun with the one in D2 as well, I'll admit. =D

D:
    I've never played Everquest. As a connoisseur of Necromancy would it be worth trying for that particular class?

kcwise
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Can't tell what to play next but I daresay put the planescape:torment to the bottom of the list, since It makes other games less interesting. ;)
    kcwise
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    You have quite a goal in front of you.

From the list you have produced, I'd go for (games I played and liked) - depending on what you'd feel like playing
    - CRPG: Skyrim, Icewind Dale 2, Wizardry 8
    - tactical RPG: Shadowrun Returns (+ specially the Dragonfall DLC-Director's cut is a gem)
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited April 2015
    D: OS is currently 40 % off @ gog.com
    kcwiseSouthpawJuliusBorisov
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I haven't played much from that list of games...so I can't be of much help. I did buy pool of radiance on PC a long time ago and couldn't get past the first area due to crashes. IWD2 is a blast.
    kcwise
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    kcwise
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    So many good games QQ
    Why can't I play them all at once! /cries.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
    Messi said:

You got Shadowrun Returns, but not Shadowrun: Dragonfall? I think most people consider that to be the superior game. Though SRR is really short so might as well play that first since it would be harder to go back to it after SR:DF.

I bought Shadowrun Returns back when it was first released, I planned on getting Dragonfall once I beat the first game.
    kcwise
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Divinity Original Sin is a great game and so is the Witcher series. I also played a bit of Divine Divinity, it sucked me in for a week or so, then I hit the second large map and I put it down, still have not gone back to finish it...
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    cmk24 said:

Divinity Original Sin is a great game and so is the Witcher series. I also played a bit of Divine Divinity, it sucked me in for a week or so, then I hit the second large map and I put it down, still have not gone back to finish it...

Original Sin is a great game. Divine Divinity held my attention until the first dungeon, then I realized what I was in for. It's also incredibly buggy and unstable on modern systems, and Beyond Divinity apparently even more so. I just declined on both them ultimately.

kcwiseFinneousPJ
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

cmk24 said:

Original Sin is a great game. Divine Divinity held my attention until the first dungeon, then I realized what I was in for. It's also incredibly buggy and unstable on modern systems, and Beyond Divinity apparently even more so. I just declined on both them ultimately.

I don't remember having any crashing/instability issues with Divine Divinity. Although I was playing the re-release from a few years ago (the version currently on steam) that was patched to run better on modern systems. I do remember there being some balancing issues: poison arrow is very OP, I used it to level ~8 times in ~5 mins by taking on a mob several levels above me.
    kcwise
    edited April 2015
    Ok, I've narrowed it down to Morrowind, Planescape: Torment, Divinity: Orignal Sin, ToEE, NWN, and NWN2.

While I'm mostly looking for a great personal RP-experience, PS:T seems to be the one game I should play that I haven't yet XD

I think I'm going in order of

PS:T
    Morrowind
    NWN
    NWN2
    D:OS
    ToEE.

After that I'll decide on what to do next. I may not do it in this EXACT order but this will be the first set of games I do.

Edit: I may play multiple at the same time once class lets out. Then I'll just have my part time job and the rest of the day to do crap.

Edit the second: Going to try and make a custom follower in each of the Elder Scrolls games. The adventures of Val and Piro! Val'myr can obviously be a Dunmer but no gnomes. . . maybe I'll make her a Khajiit. Cat people are cool.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov