Skip to content

Min/maxers beware!!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I laughed at the video, thanks for sharing, @SharGuidesMyHand !

Although, I have to mention that the maker of the video should have distinguished the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively.

So, it should have been:

//max intelligence;
    //reason achieved
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I had to stop watching it since I am at work and it seemed it was on the way to cross a line.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    That is Politically Incorrect on so many levels I love it!
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @dunbar: How is that politically incorrect?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @joluv: In the UK most of the people I come into connect are very sensitive to any issues regarding gender, ethnicity, religion etc. and that clip is pure gender stereotyping.
    Goturalwubble
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, technically its closer to 'default' than stereotype when it comes to gaming until extremely recently (with some exceptions). Anyway, it's not politically incorrect. Politically incorrect version IMHO would be calling the gamer dudebro 'Harvey Everyman', IE arguing that every single gamer is like that. Not all of them are, but a significant plurality certainly are.

However, actually discussing this is probably pointless. The video is funny.
    Jarrakul
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @bengoshi, I dunno, I think the video game character demonstrated the ability to have subjective feelings about things, as demonstrated by her having opinions about her appearance (especially considering those opinions are presumably not hard-coded in, although we may get into some trouble if we set this as a requirement for sentience). Now, granted, there's a certain philosophical sense in which sentience becomes either tricky to measure or just plain nonexistent, but I'd at least say the video game character demonstrated as much sentience as the player did.

Of course, why that would result from raising intelligence is beyond me. But hey, it's a humor video, and it's funny.
    JuliusBorisov
    Well, she might just be having objective feelings about her appearance; who wouldn't think she was pretty as is? :wink:
    semiticgoddessKlorox
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Lets not dwell too much upon the whole "sentience" and "reason" thingie or bengoshi finds out we are all actually just sentient forum bots.

...oh no!
    DreadKhanJuliusBorisov
    Southpaw said:

Lets not dwell too much upon the whole "sentience" and "reason" thingie or bengoshi finds out we are all actually just sentient forum bots.

...oh no!

...that was supposed to be a secret?!
    JuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Very funny stuff. As a powergamer who almost always plays female mages, I can't help but wonder how many sentient goddesses I've created.

I do object to one thing in that video: the notion that female characters with lesbian relationships in-game indicate the player is trying to enact lesbian fantasies. The fact that I played a female Dark Elf who married Brelyna Marion in Skyrim doesn't say anything about my personal life.

And just because my last playthrough of BG2 was a majority female party with a harem of nymphs following around my Charname, and just because I brought Pai'Na into the party for the explicitly stated purpose of serving as the party dominatrix because Snowy Tae was too big of a softy to keep the other party members in line, doesn't mean I have a bunch of lesbian fantasies. It is a coincidence.
    DreadKhanBlackravenSouthpaw
    Much like your search profile I've got right here... *reads* *nods knowingly*

Pure happenstance!
  • kingiuskingius Member Posts: 6
    Like it! Very funny.