Skip to content

Short Swords?

Anyone know any good short swords in Icewind Dale? Right now I'm in Dragon's Eye and I think I need to get my halfling barbarian an upgrade on his non-enchanted short swords. For now he's doing okay but I'm worried that when I'm up against higher-level bosses he won't be worth much. On another note I found a certain someone's cousin in the first level of Dragon's Eye, which I thought was a nice touch.
joluvDungeonnoob

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    There is a really great one for a higher apr fighter in the Expansion Areas, which you MIGHT risk going to after finishing up Dragon's Eye. It'll be hard as heck getting that sword, but it's a bit of a beast, one of my favourite weapons for sure, Blood Iron, b**** even SOUNDS badass.
    JuliusBorisovDungeonnoob
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    There are a few nice short swords that can be in the lowest level of Dragon's Eye, but they're random loot, as are most later short swords. A couple of relatively early exceptions are Pig's Eye (+2 with extra bonuses against orcs), which is sold by Conlan in Kuldahar and Short Sword of Action +2 (+1 DEX), which is non-random loot in Chapter 3. Keep in mind that Blood Iron, the sword @DreadKhan mentions, isn't usable by good-aligned characters.
    DreadKhanJuliusBorisovDungeonnoob
    Ooh, yeah, forgot that. I always used it on evil Fighter/Thief types, usually duals.
    joluv
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2015
    It's a shame about Blood Iron but so long as it's enchanted, any short sword should get me through until the really high-level stuff.
    There are a bunch of random short swords I remember, Spell Diver was kinda neat, its in Dragon's Eye at the end. But yeah, Blood Iron is about the best, depending on your build anyways.
    Dungeonnoob
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    And then there's the +4 Short Sword of Hammering, so you can hammer your enemies while you stab them, and then they get stunned and you hammer them more and you stab them more.

That one's my favorite, but I don't remember where you get it.
    Dungeonnoob
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    I found a cool short sword in Dorns deep called shortsword of shadows but i think its a random item drop/loot.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    why is a barbarian using a short swrd? axes not be better?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Because they're a halfling.
    DungeonnoobMhamzaQuartzNimran
    @ameliaboggins: That reminds me of my all-time favorite comment by you.

changed my klioiokl wioth a save ediotior tio mionio ionce,.

Hiowever iots very kliomioted,. Dioesnt shiow armiour,.,.,.,.,.,.nakled axe weioklders FTW!

GodArdul
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

And then there's the +4 Short Sword of Hammering, so you can hammer your enemies while you stab them, and then they get stunned and you hammer them more and you stab them more.

That one's my favorite, but I don't remember where you get it.

It was removed.
    scriver said:

halflings are too weak to use an axe?

scriver said:

Not all halflings are too weak to use an axe! Just because someone has 1 less Strength than someone else doesn't mean the first person is too weak to do anything!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited April 2015
    I refuse to acknowledge that any halfling could lift an axe, let alone swing it. All they're good for is a knife and fork AT BEST. And that only at 18/50 STR or better.

EDIT: obvious typos.
    Post edited by Lord_Tansheron on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think you mean lift :)
    Dungeonnoob
    takes them till Luncheon to work up the energy to even lift that huge Billberry muffin they have been drooling over....

7:00am – Breakfast
    9:00am – Second Breakfast
    11:00am – Elevenses
    1:00pm – Luncheon
    4:00pm – Afternoon Tea
    6:00pm – Dinner
    8:00pm – Supper
    edited April 2015
    So right now I've just finished Dragon's Eye, which took quite a while and I'm about to head to the Severed Hand. I didn't find anything my halfling could use although there was some good loot for my priest of Tempus. Anyway, I have roughly 27000 gold pieces. Pig's Eye costs about a thousand more, I think. Should I buy it or will the Severed Hand have some good short swords?

Everyone else in the party has an enchanted weapon of some sort. Sorcerer (Summoning Staff/Mage Dagger), Bard (Long Sword of Confusion) and Fighter/Thief (Katana, I can't remember the name, it has a curse effect on hit), all have +2 or more. Priest of Tempus and Inquisitor have +1 weapons (Warhammer +1 and Kresselack's Sword, which I'm also aiming to replace) and the halfling is still dual-wielding a high quality short sword and a regular short sword.

Advice?
    The Short Sword of Action is in the Severed Hand. If you don't want to spend for Pig's Eye, then Conlan also has a normal Short Sword +1.
    Mhamza
    Mhamza said:

So right now I've just finished Dragon's Eye, which took quite a while and I'm about to head to the Severed Hand. I didn't find anything my halfling could use although there was some good loot for my priest of Tempus. Anyway, I have roughly 27000 gold pieces. Pig's Eye costs about a thousand more, I think. Should I buy it or will the Severed Hand have some good short swords?

Everyone else in the party has an enchanted weapon of some sort. Sorcerer (Summoning Staff/Mage Dagger), Bard (Long Sword of Confusion) and Fighter/Thief (Katana, I can't remember the name, it has a curse effect on hit), all have +2 or more. Priest of Tempus and Inquisitor have +1 weapons (Warhammer +1 and Kresselack's Sword, which I'm also aiming to replace) and the halfling is still dual-wielding a high quality short sword and a regular short sword.

Advice?

You could obtain the lesser promise of some god, I think. But it's not that good.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Advice?
    Stop caring about weapons.

You won't need anything better than +1 for a long time.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Doesn't Yxunomei already require +2 or higher to hit? Can't remember.

Not to mention that more damage and better THAC0 are always a good thing, right.
    joluv
    edited April 2015

Doesn't Yxunomei already require +2 or higher to hit? Can't remember.

Truthfully, I'm not sure. Yxunomei was a pain to deal with though. Had to rush her with everything I had but in the end she was defeated, although my party was near death thanks to her and those pesky Yuan-Ti archers.

Advice?
    Stop caring about weapons.

You won't need anything better than +1 for a long time.

Ah, okay then. The party's still going strong in the Severed Hand, though that +2 2h Sword on the first floor and +2 Hammer of Sparks do help quite a lot.
    Post edited by Mhamza on
    Seeing as they're in Chapter 3, the minimum drops back down to +1
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Having cool weapons is part of the fun and Yxon does need +2.
    edited April 2015
    And that boss is in Chapter 2. So it doesn't matter for a player who's in Chapter 3.

The minimum is again +1 and will pretty much stay that way for a ridiculously long time

The only time I played core (and this was in the original so no Skald song or Sorcerer with early Emotion buffs to make weapon bonuses even more insignificant past hitting immunities), I had a Fighter/Thief that stuck primarily to bows (so no STR bonuses, and a bow's normal extra 1 APR would technically mean bonuses pile up quicker). It didn't matter one bit that a regular enemy was getting hit by regular arrows or +1's or that enemies immune to normal weapons were being killed by +1 or +2 arrows. The difference is so ridiculously small that enemies dropped dead in the same amount of rounds.

So have a +1 weapon in chapter 3? That's good enough for a good long stretch of the game. Until the end when you need +3's but that's pretty far off.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @ameliaboggins -

scriver said:

The short sword is a classical halfling weapon, just like slings.
    Quartz
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    edited May 2015
    The Short Sword of Shadows +3 may not be used by fighters. It is for rogues: AC +2, Move Silently and Hide in Shadows +15%.

If you've got the cash, Conlan sells Pig's Eye +4, +2 THAC0 and damage, +4 vs. Orcs, speed 1.

Among the randomly placed items one can find: The Sword of Days +3 immune to slow and haste, 25% chance target is slowed for 8 rounds, speed 2. Some God's Lesser Promise +2 with %5 chance of healing 1d6 self, speed 2.

Short sword for a berserker isn't a perfect choice, of course ... but this is a role-playing game afterall. A lot can depend on the hero's alignment, too, whether you can wear some armors and weapons.

I've just completed a party-of-six game at hard difficulty for some more experiments with party composition and a druid for extra area damage and early healing, so I could dual-class a level 3 Berserker to Cleric ... a bit like Sir Anomen, but with warhammers. My dual-wielding Elf berserker with long swords, 5 attacks via extra attack weapon in off-hand, THAC0 -8/6 with the +5 long sword one gets near the end. Level 15 before end-fight ... start of HoW near 1,951,000 XP. The Swashbuckler is at level 18 then ... just for comparison: dual-wielding a short sword +3, off-hand scimitar for 3 attacks, THAC0 3/11.
    DungeonnoobJuliusBorisov
  • Artix00Artix00 Member Posts: 11
    If you kill Purvis at Heart of Winter then you can get the Backstabbing short sword which does crippling strikes easier if your a thief...