Skip to content

What about this custom group?

Hello there,

I'm an old BG fan and managed to finish BG1 long times ago. I played BG2 but never finished it and haven't try ToB yet. I recently installed EE 1 and 2 (from Steam) and I decided to make my own party and try to complete the whole saga (core rules except when leveling and copying scrolls).

Since I don't really know what to expect during BG2 and after, I decided to post a short description of my party and ask you guys what do you think about it. Maybe some of you already tried something similar. Anyways, feel free to comment and give me some advices (I'm still at the beginning, right after Nashkel mines). I always enjoy reading from experienced players. So here's the group :

1. Dwarven Defender - **Axe, *War Hammer, *Sword and Shield Style
2. Dwarf Berserker - **Halberd, *Crossbow, *Two-Handed Weapon Style
3. Dwarf Fighter/Cleric - **Flail/Morning Star, **Two-Weapon Style
4. Dwarf Priest of Lathander - *Mace, *Sling
5. Gnome Illusionist/Thief - *Short Sword, *Short Bow
6. Elf Sorcerer (the only female!) - *Dart

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    This looks like a well balanced party to me. The standard "linear warriors, quadratic wizards" advice is that casters -- especially arcane casters -- are more important in BG2 than in BG1, but I think you have enough. The other thing to know is that in ToB AC essentially stops mattering because enemy THAC0s get so low. This means that your Dwarven Defender's physical damage resistance will become important.

Your proficiency choices seem good. There are some nice longswords and two-handed swords in the game, but they're certainly not mandatory. There's a new weapon for EE that you may be interested in at this stage:
    The Stupefier, a +1 mace with a chance to stun. It's upstairs in the Burning Wizard.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    AN ELF in the shorties' party. OUTRAGEOUS!

Actually, your party looks solid, although I would swap a Priest of Lathander for a druid, a totemic druid for example - because you already have a cleric.

Also, you can use the EE-Keeper to change a race for your sorcerer - to make her a shorty!

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2015
    This is an extremely solid team.
    I guess that you already have a plan to grant point(s) in staff too. I just want to mention that both games have interesting daggers, long swords and 2H swords (as Joluv said) and there are nice scimetars and katanas in BG2. Darts may force you sorcerer to come closer, this is sometimes a bad move (early game).
    I don't know how you play your F/C but I am more inclined to grant the TW style to a permanent frontliner, this is a very minor comment.
    Have fun !
  • WhurkasWhurkas Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys for the advices. I'll stick with this party. I'll tell you if I ever get some major issues.