Skip to content

if you were Gorion...

2»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, I could see Sarevok underestimating Gorion. He's smart, but he makes some awful decisions sometimes, probably due to being Chaotic, Intelligent and Charismatic, making him likely incredibly narcissistic, if being a Bhaalspawn alone didn't do it. He certainly sounds pretty sure of himself.

Still, the Web idea is good regardless, there is no better spell to double up on for levels 1 and 2. 2 Magic Missiles vs 2 saves at -2? Heck, if he has saves of 1, he has a 10% chance of being webbed by 1 Web, meaning 20% by 2 Webs, this without using a Greater Malison. 20% isn't great I agree, but he has no other tools other than items he clearly didn't bring/have to deal with actual threats, and we know there was other enemies in the Sword Coast region, from bandits to monsters. The double Web is an ace in the hole IMHO, especially at this level.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    "Oh dear, it seems that someone has poisoned that upstanding young scholar Koveras! And, coincidentally, I happened to find this completely legitimate contract that promises Winthrop a lifetime supply of elven hookers if he does one last job. My my, what a pity, never would have suspected him, etc. and I really must go help Charname with his studies."
    Jenzafar
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    DreadKhan said:

Well, I could see Sarevok underestimating Gorion. He's smart, but he makes some awful decisions sometimes, probably due to being Chaotic, Intelligent and Charismatic, making him likely incredibly narcissistic, if being a Bhaalspawn alone didn't do it. He certainly sounds pretty sure of himself.

Still, the Web idea is good regardless, there is no better spell to double up on for levels 1 and 2. 2 Magic Missiles vs 2 saves at -2? Heck, if he has saves of 1, he has a 10% chance of being webbed by 1 Web, meaning 20% by 2 Webs, this without using a Greater Malison. 20% isn't great I agree, but he has no other tools other than items he clearly didn't bring/have to deal with actual threats, and we know there was other enemies in the Sword Coast region, from bandits to monsters. The double Web is an ace in the hole IMHO, especially at this level.

Technically it's 19%. But yeah. Honestly it's probably Gorion's best shot.

On the subject of Sarevok's narcissism, it should be noted that this is the moment when he identifies a problem and personally goes to deal with it, instead of just sending some random underling (although he sends those too, to be thorough). He even brings backup, even though he doesn't really need it against most enemies. While I can see Sarevok underestimating Gorion, in this particular incident he seems to have prepared pretty well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    bengoshi said:

enemy sighted
    Gorion casts Improved Invisibility

walks a little bit away from the enemies

Charname is then mercilessly slaughtered as Sarevok and his goon's attention turns to him/her. :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @elminster If there's a task to save CHARNAME as well, then I guess Gorion should choose Invisibility 10' Radius (instead of one of Melf's Minute meteors) and cast it as soon as enemies are sighted.
    elminster
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Greater Malison, Web, Web followed by Haste, and then Gorion and Charname legs it to the Friendly Arm while Sarevok & Co are stuck in the webs.

♫Brave brave Gorion, Gorion ran away...♫♪
    JuliusBorisovAureolBelgarathMTHcyberhawk
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    If I were Gorion, I would cast my Lightning Bolt of Instant Slaying that he slaughters CHARNAME with should CHARNAME attempt to be evil in Candlekeep.

That, or try to talk to him about his feelings with Sarevok under the influence of a Friends spell.
    proccoDreadKhanMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Aureol said:

If I were Gorion, I would cast my Lightning Bolt of Instant Slaying that he slaughters CHARNAME with should CHARNAME attempt to be evil in Candlekeep.

That, or try to talk to him about his feelings with Sarevok under the influence of a Friends spell.

Seriously. Try taking him on with the strongest Charname you can import and see what happens....zap!
    JuliusBorisov
  • EmptyPepsiCanEmptyPepsiCan Member Posts: 12
    Let me get this straight...

Our teenage protagonist starts out at level 1 and maxes out (as a mage) at level 31 (iirc). The transformation from helpless weakling to invulnerable demigod takes what, six months of in-game time? Eight if he rests a lot?

Gorion, meanwhile, is supposed to be this wise, seasoned, battle-tested mage, but the best he could manage after decades of study and experience was level 9? How does that work?

Anyway, if I was Gorion I'd make an honest, unflinching assessment of my strengths and weaknesses, and then I'd go be a scribe or a book keeper or something.
    Fiendish_Warrior
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    johntyl said:

what strategy and spells would you use in preparation of the inevitable battle against Sarevok and gang to ensure your and CHARNAME's survival, considering Gorion is a level 9 mage?

CTRL + Y
    cyberhawk
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    procco said:

Aureol said:

Seriously. Try taking him on with the strongest Charname you can import and see what happens....zap!
    I wonder if Charname will still be slayed instantly if he/she gulps down a potion of Absorption or cast any spells/scrolls that grant a 100% electrical immunity
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309

Anyway, if I was Gorion I'd make an honest, unflinching assessment of my strengths and weaknesses, and then I'd go be a scribe or a book keeper or something.

:lol::lol::lol:

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

Let me get this straight...

Our teenage protagonist starts out at level 1 and maxes out (as a mage) at level 31 (iirc). The transformation from helpless weakling to invulnerable demigod takes what, six months of in-game time? Eight if he rests a lot?

Gorion, meanwhile, is supposed to be this wise, seasoned, battle-tested mage, but the best he could manage after decades of study and experience was level 9? How does that work?

This is the general pattern, though. Elminster managed to get to about the level cap, but it took him centuries. Drizzt is level 16, I think, and he's been at it for decades. For some reason (*coughgamedesigncough*), Charname and co. level up ridiculously fast compared to pretty much everyone else in the Realms.
    Spjuv3rn
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I wouldn't die of a massive heart attack when Saravok's sword missed me.
    Spjuv3rnMontresor_SP
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    If I were Gorion I'd have hired for protection that invisible stabby guy who can kill anything that tries to attack the Shadow Thieves' hold before it's time in the plot to do so.
    Montresor_SPGotural
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    I'd Hire a professional thief and have him set spike traps all around character name's room and never let character name leave Winthrop's inn. Problem solved.
    Spjuv3rnMontresor_SP