Skip to content

Party composition - undecided about cleric

Comments

• Common_AdventurerCommon_Adventurer Member Posts: 23
    Sometimes I consider taking Jan Jansen instead of Edwin. However I arleady invested some spell scrolls into Edwin :) Now I reminded myself how cool jansen is and I have new hard decision to make:D

I also figured out that easiest way for jaheira is club+shield and most likely I will stick to that for now. In future I would try out to play her with spears or quaterstaff, because I arleady have Anomen for using weapon+shield. Wouldn`t it be a lot of effort to make her spear focused? I need invest some points in spear and in two handed weapon style, it seems that will take forever.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

Wouldn`t it be a lot of effort to make her spear focused? I need invest some points in spear and in two handed weapon style, it seems that will take forever.

Still, I prefer to go that route. The Jaheira's starting proficiencies are enough for her till you get the best spears in the game. I use Jaheira as a tank with a club and a shield till the very time the party reaches the Underdark.

From there, the Impaler rules. Amazing damage. And the Ironskins can surve as a shield.
    btw is that true i need to keep ceratin reputation (neutral) to romance with Jaheira?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Nope. Max your reputation. She'll complain, but higher rep is better for her personal quest.
    oh damn i stole from 2 people :D but its ok, it`s amazing how easy it is to get reputation in this game and how hard is to decrease it.

Btw is lvl 14 too late for dualclasing into mage?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Dualing into mage at level 14 means you have to reach 1,875,000 before getting back your abilities, and that s a lot. If you are dualing from level 14 fighter, you will reach XP cap at level 27 as mage, which means you have the maximum number of spellcast except that you will have 1 less 8th-level spell. Same goes for Cleric. If you are dualing from thief however you will eventually reach level 28 and max number of spellcast.
    Ok thanks. I just asked out of curiosity. I arleady going to have 2 strong mages Imoen and Ewdin. Don`t know if that is very good idea tho.
    Having two mages is never a bad idea. Edwin should be your offensive caster while Imoen is more of a utility support.
    thank you all for your anwserws :D I have still one question about Jaheira romance - the dialogues where happening quite often and suddenly they stopped and she dose not talk with me for a while. I heard her romance is really bugged but i assumed that was fixed in EE. Should i worry?:P
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    If you are romancing Jaheira, you should always be worried.. :smiley: A real bag of troubles, that one.
    You mean bugs or what?:D There is something I need to know?

You mean bugs or what?:D There is something I need to know?

I don't mean bugs. Unless your referring to Insect Plague. It's her personality and content I mean.. :smiley:
    ok :D so if I understand correctly, the only problem with this romance (so far i know no SPOILER PLEASE) is that it take a long time to go right?:D
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah. It's by far the longest romance in the game. Fully worth it, in my opinion, but Jaheira's pretty polarizing.
    Ok so don`t care if she dosen`t talk for long :)

Btw using this topic to ask me cliche question about bg2 - what are your tips to play Swashbuckler? I play dual wiel long swords, but I read the good idea is to use off hand for weapon that adds attack per roudn (like shortsword Kundane)/
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Ok so don`t care if she dosen`t talk for long :)

Btw using this topic to ask me cliche question about bg2 - what are your tips to play Swashbuckler? I play dual wiel long swords, but I read the good idea is to use off hand for weapon that adds attack per roudn (like shortsword Kundane)/

Scarlet Ninjo-To mainhand, Belm offhand is best. With Jaheira in party would be best to give Belm to her and have Kundane instead. If you dual your Swash you won't get to use SNT as it needs UAI. It is very, very hard to find any weapon that competes with +APR on a swashbuckler.
    Arunsun said:

Having two mages is never a bad idea. Edwin should be your offensive caster while Imoen is more of a utility support.

Opposite is true, Edwin should be utility caster as he has enough slots to have offensive spells as well which gives the option for two offensive spells per round. Also, Edwin will usually be higher level giving a longer duration on those important utility spells.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2015
    I prefer weapons with immunities over apr (Adjatha the drinker long sword or arbanes short sword are examples here).

For a no cleric run I always miss remove paralysis and free action. Those are very handy to have since you won't be dependent on dispel magic.

And except for magical debuff I actually think the magic utility comes from the druid (jaheira).

Have fun!
    the problem with scarlet ninja to is that its restricted to lawful aligment and I am Neutral Good.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

the problem with scarlet ninja to is that its restricted to lawful aligment and I am Neutral Good.

It's also restricted to Monks. That's where Use Any Item comes in.
    @Common_Adventurer That's what Use Any Item does. It allows you to use ANY item. That means spell scrolls, wands, plate armors, weapons that have restrictions(Carsomyr, Scarlet Ninja-To, Azuredge to name a few..), but it doesn't let you use NPC-specific items such as Valygar's Armor or Keldorn's Hallowed Redeemer.
    at what point i get Use Any item? I am also considering option by using celestial fury+ belm, but I am not sure that mixing Kata/scimitar profinencies is good idea.
    You may pick Use any item when you get 3M exp and level up. Which is actually 3 080 000 exp for both bards and thieves
    So this is just about when I start Throne of Bhaal right?

I am considering plaing something like this:

Celestial Fury + Belm
    How should i spread points in weapons specializations? 1 in scimitars and rest in Katanas?

Wakizashi from Joluv`s shop/scarlet Ninja-To after UAI + Belm

or craziest that someone out of this forum suggested me:

Celestial Fury + Crom Feayer (after i get UAI)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2015
    Make sure you rest in inns and out in the wilderness. Some stages only trigger when you do one of those two things, and the romance will stall until you do. That's not just true for Jaheira - it's true for all the romances.

I think the original devs assumed that players would constantly be resting, in inns, outdoors, and in dungeons. That some players would want to roleplay realistic rest cycles did not occur to them, apparently, at least not when they were writing romances.

EDIT: Make sure you visit all the inns in Athkatla, and all the street traders. Honestly, I'm not sure it's possible to fully play out Jaheira's romance without consulting a walkthrough, which would be full of spoilers. It's up to you, I guess, how badly you want to finish it, but it does love to stall while it waits for you to do this or that, that you might never naturally do.
    thanks for advice, is there any good site with tips about Jaheira romance? Nothing happend with Jaheira romance for a while.I arleady did the quest with Jaheria being cursed. I try to rest next time i will be outdoors and we will see (lately i was doing most quests in Athkatla). Last Jaheira lines where making fun of Edwin after failing the nether scroll spell :)
    I have a website with complete romance guide for the original game romance but it is in French so you might not be able to understand everything :(
    I read that most important things to procede with romance is to sleep outdoors. I actually found a walkthrough in my native language so maybe that will help.

Btw i am fixing my swashbuckler and i can`t decide what weapon to fight katanas, scimitar or katanas/scimitar (mixed specialization works in this game)?
    You will eventually be able to have both.
    Scimitars are a must on a swashy because you really want scarlet ninja-to.
    Other weapons really are up to you. Katana is nice because of Celestial fury but the game lacks really strong lategame katanas. Long swords are good as well. Take one of these, they are the best IMHO
    So what weapon i should put my first points? (besides dual wield). Put 2 points in Katana and then 2 points in Scimitars? Go with Celestial Fury + Belm/ scarlet nt later, and that will work?:) I don`t really know much about AD&D system :)
    Take at least one point in scimitars and one in katana, not to have those trumendous malus when using weapon you are not proficient with. Then take one more in your mainhand, here it is katana, then scimitar.