Skip to content

Warning for IPAD gamers - IOS version 8.3

All

I learned this the hard way two weeks ago. The latest version of IOS disables the use of iFunBox to transfer savegames to and from your Ipad. the latest IOS pretty much renders iFunBox useless, it doesn't allow iFunBox to interact with the subfolders of virtually any app. Its an issue specific to IOS 8.3 - iFunBox has come with a minor patch that allows CERTAIN apps to interact with iFunBox (things like VLC player, but also games like Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic). However, none of the BG-style games are on that list - it has something to do with how the app interacts with IOS. Furthermore, neither IOS 8.2 nor 8.3 are jailbreakable.

If you've upgraded, here is a very useful guide to downgrade to IOS 8.2

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-ios-8.3-on-your-iphone-or-ipad/

Not sure if I should post this to the individual game folders or here - its applicable to BG, BG2 and IWD. I'd say the best possible suggestion would be to email the developers of the games to issue an update that mods the games to have "Itunes File Sharing" enabled. I'm not sure if thats the only working fix - somehow Star Wars - KOTOR, still allows the transfer of saved file. Here's a post detailing the issue and the fix.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/13/ios-8-3-ifunbox-itools-sandbox-app-access/

hope this help anyone who ran into the same problem I did
deltagoCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlunarSkatan

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Confirmed. Whenever I try to get into bg2 from user applications I get an add for Microsoft azure, whatever that is. With an older device it works as normal. This is most unfortunate.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArnaeusArnaeus Member Posts: 90
    Yeah it's unfortunate you can't downgrade past 8.2 really wanted to jailbreak my baldurs gate to mod it up but am stuck
  • jhanezjhanez Member Posts: 6
    Same issue I'm having. More info here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38199/11141-neeras-tob-quest-should-not-prevent-travel-to-the-throne-of-bhaal

I've got OS X and have tried the new version of iFunBox (released today I think) for Mac as well as running the latest Beta version of iFunBox for Windows through Parallels and also iFunBox Classic. Nothing worked.

As @catch6229 said, if the developers were to enable "iTunes File Sharing" it would work perfectly. Just a flag on the app upload, I would assume.

I'm stuck right at the very end of ToB on my first ever run through on a bug that could easily be fixed with a BG editor. Very disappointing...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovlunar
  • atxkmxatxkmx Member Posts: 2

Bump.

It *looks* like Scott Brooks has given us a way to mod the game without jailbreaking, see here:http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/633000/#Comment_633000

(I think that's what that post is about... frankly it's a bit over my head.)

So yeah all the more reason to flip the "iTunes File Sharing" switch! (Not that anyone needs convincing, I suspect Beamdog will be on this pretty quickly...)

Unfortunately, these instructions won't work for iOS >= 8.3. We really need Beamdog to, uh, throw us a bone. :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BleegoBleego Member Posts: 18
    Omg please patch bgee & bg2ee to fix this asap! So bummed
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2015
    Yes, please, oh please, beamdog, fix this. For all your iOS games. Please.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41811/ios-updated#latest

There's a work around for this in BG:EE. I can't say when this will make it to the other games, but it is in the plans.

So yeah all the more reason to flip the "iTunes File Sharing" switch!

That switch is actually flipped, the problem was that the user data (including save games) tree that we'd need to make available included baldur.ini, and Apple said "that's not a document, no can do".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314

(But can you finally control your party orientation when moving in formation??)

This update was pretty limited in scope - just stabilization of a few things - so no.
    BUT wait: are you saying Apple won't let you give user access to the .ini file?? [...] Also, if I'm understanding right, is ifunbox still not working?
    Yes and yes. We have some ideas for improving things, but this is the workaround we could get into this release.

[Deleted User]
  • catch6229catch6229 Member Posts: 29
    Cerevant said:

(But can you finally control your party orientation when moving in formation??)

This update was pretty limited in scope - just stabilization of a few things - so no.
    BUT wait: are you saying Apple won't let you give user access to the .ini file?? [...] Also, if I'm understanding right, is ifunbox still not working?
    Yes and yes. We have some ideas for improving things, but this is the workaround we could get into this release.

Cerevant, quick question. The workaround - it sounds like we can edit party saves via the export/import saves - If we've already copied the Baldur.ini file (or Icewind Dale file) from our Ipads prior to the conversion, is this correct?
  • firebringerfirebringer Member Posts: 25
    So, post iOS update 8.3, is there any way to move custom portraits or soundsets to BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE without jailbreaking your device? I've successfully exported games from BGEE, modified them in EEKeeper, rezipped and transferred them via DropBox, but I have no idea how to now move portraits/soundsets without jailbreaking the device.

I'm hesitant to jailbreak the device since I thought I read that everytime I update the device after that, changes made since the device was jailbroken are rolled back. Maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Also, can we PLEASE get iOS export functionality built into BG2EE?!?!