Skip to content

What do you do when a party member gets perma-killed?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
One of my party members was just perma-killed in the battle with Yzunomei.
(RIP Kalindra - you were the best of us!)

I'm thinking that perhaps I will create a replacement party member through HoW (that way, he/she will be at a level more comparable to the rest of my party) and then temporarily switch my save game to multi-player to import the new member. I'll probably do this after my party returns to the tavern in Kuldahar, and then RP that my party recruited one of the tavern patrons or a visitor that had also just arrived at the tavern.

Out of curiosity, what do others here do when a party member gets chunked? Do you try to create/import a replacement? Do you just continue on with one less member of your party? Or do you simply reload and play the battle over again?

Comments

• ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited April 2015
    you had six in your grp, or you talkin about the greyed out image?

I dont recall this demon having any perma death spells tbh....what happened exactly?

if you talkin about Kalindra...she died by the sword(an honourable way to go!) and can be rezzed in an appropriate spiritual establishment.......happy days!!

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

you had six in your grp, or you talkin about the greyed out image?

I dont recall this demon having any perma death spells tbh....what happened exactly?

if you talkin about Kalindra...she died by the sword(an honourable way to go!) and can be rezzed in an appropriate spiritual establishment.......happy days!!

The greyed out character is not the one who perma-died - you can't see a portrait for the one who perma-died because a character who gets perma-killed is instantly removed from your sidebar.

This is a screenshot from moments before the battle, showing my full party lineup:

You don't need to be killed by a particular spell in order to perma-die - your character can be chunked in melee the same way that you do to enemies, and when that happens, they can't be raised.

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yeah basically I reload. Maybe more than once.
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    Definitely reload more than once, unless it's a no reload kinda playthrough, in which case... good luck :)
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I sort of dislike the way death is handled in the Infinity Engine games. Firstly, it is way too easy to die, especially at the lower levels. When you are level 1-2, basically even the smallest critter has the power to off your stoutiest fighter instantly and permanently with a lucky roll of 20. While some might call this realistic, I have always found it cheap and infuriating. At the lowest levels, no matter how skilled or cautious you are, it ultimately boils down to a game of Russian roulette between you and your enemies.

Now, when your characters get stronger, there is some wiggle room. However, cheap deaths do still happen. Sometimes your character does not react to your commands fast enough, or misinterprets them or gets stuck in a doorway or behind another character. This is exactly what happened to me in Dragon's Eye. My skald's stoneskin wore off and I told him to back up; instead, he hesitated for a moment and then suddenly changed course, walking straight under the sword of a hasted Yuan-Ti elite. Chunk. Splorch. Gurgle. It was incredibly upsetting, especially since up until then the fight had gone so well.

Now, I don't play strict no-reload challenges, but I do try to keep my reloads to a minimum. When my characters kick the bucket the regular way, I usually bite my tongue and trek back to the nearest town and have them resurrected, even at the cost of time, money and immersion. Despite being a major annoyance, it feels like an acceptable penalty, especially if the mistake was on my end. Permadeath, however, feels much too harsh and unforgiving, considering how easily it can happen. Even if you do accept that your character is gone forever, you still have to deal with an unbalanced party for the rest of the game. In many circumstances, this is more or less a checkmate situation, and it is better to just give up and restart than to keep playing. Or simply just break immersion and reload.

Anyway, I am really digging Pillars of Eternity's 'maimed' system, where your fallen comrades get up after the battle with 1hp, removing the need to reload even after sub-optimal victories.

`your character can be chunked in melee `

never happened to me.....perhaps its connected to wearing a helmet?
  • kellclkellcl Member Posts: 24

Partly. Wearing a helmet prevents critical hit but some things simply hit so hard that the hit reduces HP of a character to minus. At some threshold I think it is -10 the character gets chunked ends up in perma death. Wearing a helmet lessens the chance to some extent. Lower game difficulty can eliminate perma death too (lower than core).
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

No, it's connected to how much damage you're dealt on a killing blow. IIRC, my character had only 1 HP left when she was dealt a 23-point blow, resulting in perma-death. If she had had 22 HPs and was dealt the same blow, she wouldn't have been chunked.

Perma-death for player characters only exists on core of higher difficulties (I'm currently playing on core).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

What do you do when a party member gets perma-killed?

I would leave it as it is. You lose your companion forever but his deeds will not be forgotten.

Also, I would make a new character in-game (you can follow these recommendations: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36377/how-do-a-add-a-new-party-member-mid-game) and pretend that I've met him in an inn - just like they do it in Pillars of Eternity now.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    I reload. I never even consider any other option, immediate reload. I don't do death...
    ` immediate reload. I don't do death...`

never felt the urge to release your inner goth-child?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    Not me!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I reload. Unless it's BG2 and Yoshimo. He's only ever been chunked once as I only ever get him for one quest tops. But yeah, the one time that happened I just blinked, picked up his loot, got Jan out of jail and went back to questing.

I could probably also live with the elf ranger exploding at the end boss. Elven archers are ten a penny in the Forgotten Realms after all, there's bound to be replacements to find.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited April 2015
    I don't have hard and fast rules but generally speaking I will reload in a case of extremely bad luck, but not in the case of extreme stupidity on my part.
    As for whether or not being randomly chunked is realistic - some years ago when driving home one night with my girlfriend we were hit by another car, I got minor cuts and bruises, she died at the scene - go figure.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I reload. Unless it's BG2 and Yoshimo. He's only ever been chunked once as I only ever get him for one quest tops. But yeah, the one time that happened I just blinked, picked up his loot, got Jan out of jail and went back to questing.

Wha... But... That can happen? But then...

What happens when he's supposed to betray you? What happens to the plot!? D:
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

That douche Saemon Havarian basically takes Yoshimo's role.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

That douche Saemon Havarian basically takes Yoshimo's role.
    God damn it, Saemon Havarian! :rage:
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Bury them under the permafrost!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355

Out of curiosity, what do others here do when a party member gets chunked? Do you try to create/import a replacement? Do you just continue on with one less member of your party? Or do you simply reload and play the battle over again?

I quit the game- Start playing vanilla again....

Honestly, that's what I'm gonna do, I miss the "modify party" button, and the Guard-button-

Too bad about the zoom/quickloot, but I would rather be able to modify my party (and multi-player IS NOT the same...)
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    I reload ... unless I have the feeling that a different party would be better. Then I restart from the beginning.

It makes no sense to continue after such a loss, if it's not possible to return to the next tavern, inn, arena or inhabited area and find some adventurer as a replacement. Nobody with interest in joining the party and getting equipment? Laughable. I would find it a lot of fun, if there were random NPCs ... of different levels ... who could be recruited.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Haha. I've seen someone throwing a mouse in such a situation, and it was wireless but returned nevertheless and hit a monitor.

Another local player here curses a lot ... loudly ... not only when getting killed, but also when receiving unexpected hits with high damage or devastating effects.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Before HoW came out, if I wanted a non Keepered new party member, I'd just camp in Frost Wight country, and farm them until I was close in level. A well equipped pretty weak character can kill two or three very easily on non-high difficulty. Usually I had a Fighter type help kill Wights until the character can just farm solo. Even a lvl 9 dual out Fighter isn't THAT slow, but mages will be bad at killing Wights, and need a babysitter. I made 3 or 4 characters this way, mainly because my original party sucked/had apparently chosen terrible profs. I enjoyed my Dwarven Fighter with his 18/00 str that was specially made to use the Giving Star.

Now, I'd just keeper or restart. Using a HoW import character is probably a happy medium.