Skip to content

Average Guy Playthrough Suggestions (Spoilers maybe?)

Hello everyone,

I've been a mix-maxer for too long, never settling for less than a 90 (or a 94 if I'm multi-classing), and playing a lot of power gamey or above average classes (kensai/mage, fighter/mage, ranger/cleric, etc.), and I want to try something fresh! I want to add a bit of challenge to my game by attempting a playthrough as one of the Realms' more mediocre Bhaalspawn, so I can better appreciate the journey from a lowly reader at Candlekeep to savior of the Realms. I also really want to give my companions an opportunity to shine, and to try out some classes and equipment that I don't typically touch. This will be a full trilogy run, not solo, and I won't be using SCSII.

So I'm asking you all for some suggestions on who I should create - class, weapon proficiencies, play styles and potential companions that would synchronize well.

A few caveats: I don't want to play a mage/sorcerer - I've played them plenty of times and there's plenty of awesome mage companions. I want to avoid using katanas, scimitars, long swords, and two-handed swords, considering 9/10 playthroughs fall under one of those categories. I'm leaning toward Single Weapon Style or possibly Sword and Shield because I've done dual wielding to death.

A few classes I specifically don't want to play (since I've played them before): Kensai, F/M, Inquisitor, Sorc, Mage, Ranger/Cleric, Stalker, Swashbuckler. Other than those I'm open to anything: single, multi, or dual class!

I'm also open to interesting character back stories/play styles because I'm somewhat of an RPer and like the limits those put on the game (though I RP pretty loosely - if I'm lawful good but still want to romance Viconia, I'll find some way to justify that in my character's personality).

I'll probably stick to human, elf, or half-elf so I can have my pick of romances, but I'm open to a convincing argument for trying out one of the shorties.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Flails own in BG2 actually, better than ones you mentioned, but BG1 flails are less Superfantastic.

For an useful but very non-standard Bhaalspawn, go Skald for sure. Weapon choice consider Halberds in BG1, and whatever in BG2, as you'll rarely be fighting.

A Druid might be a good fit, though Avengers are probably too good. A thief Kit is fun/different too.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I would say a monk would work well, at best in bg1 they are mediocre, and in bg2 they really don't start to shine until they hit level 15, and even then your front line fighters can still keep up with them pretty good, and usually when I play a monk, I always imagine, that if I was suddenly stuck in the bg world, that is the "class" I would choose, and I would go through all the world being a monk, so if one day I came back to reality land, I would still have those monk abilities, which would be so ballin' in real life
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Hello, @jameskenobi and welcome to the forum!

For interesting ideas, you can check @Elrandir 's http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31199/discussion-about-ideas-for-future-challenges-and-play-throughs#latest .

Also, a good idea may be to read a summary of other peoples' playthroughs - a lot of them are not power-gamey and focus more on average stats:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/33353/advertise-your-written-play-through-s#latest
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Bards. Makes a lot of sense from a RP perspective (Mage foster father, thief best friend, likely had combat training from the Watchers, lots of lore knowledge from living in a MASSIVE library, etc. etc.) and they're a fun "not OP" class that can not only do well on their own, but can also do excellently with allies as well. Plus, they have the same weapon selection as a fighter, so you can use whatever unusual weapons you want. Maces, clubs, darts, short swords, halberds (use a halberd in BG1. There's an EE added weapon quite literally designed with bards in mind), and all sorts of other unique and fun weapons.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    As for the roll, average is only 63 total.