Skip to content

[Football] UCL thread

FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
Hey guys,

It's quite late, but I thought we should make a UEFA Champions League thread for this season. As you know, the group stage is already gone and the 16 teams that made it through are

*~*~*
Paris Saint-Germain - Chelsea FC

FC Shakhtar Donetsk - FC Bayern München

FC Basel 1893 - FC Porto

Schalke FC Schalke 04 - Real Madrid CF

Man. City - Barcelona

Juventus - Dortmund

Arsenal FC - AS Monaco FC

Bayer 04 Leverkusen - Club Atlético de Madrid
*~*~*

Today begins the second half of the first leg, with

*~*~*
Man. City - Barcelona

Juventus - Dortmund
*~*~*

today Feb 24th and

*~*~*
Arsenal FC - AS Monaco FC

Bayer 04 Leverkusen - Club Atlético de Madrid
*~*~*

tomorrow Feb 25th.

Post your predictions, projections and comments!
JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyesDungeonnoob

Comments

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Well, City's just lost but thanks to Hart they're still in it, just so long as they can beat Barcelona by two goals in the second leg. I have to say I was surprised at the result as I thought City would win on account of their recent form and home advantage but it was still a great match.

Arsenal vs Monaco tomorrow and as an Arsenal fan I'm confident that they can get the win. Monaco are a good team but they lack experience in the UCL since this is the first time they've been in it for 10 years so ultimately I'm predicting an Arsenal to win 2-1.
    FinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Mhamza If you don't mind me saying City was shite in the first half, but came back well in the second. I don't think they can win this pair.

Arsenal, why not.
    Mhamza
    @FinneousPJ Yeah I see what you mean and City shouldn't have conceded so easily but they still have a chance, however slim it may be, though the damage has already been done and it will be very difficult for them to win at the Nou Camp, let alone by the two goals they need.
    FinneousPJ
    Wow I guess Arsenal isn't that confident a choice after all...
    Mhamza
    Tell me abt it, absolutely dreadful performance but credit to Monaco they deserved the win.
    FinneousPJ
    I think they came on very strong for the first few minutes, but then Monaco got in the game and Arsenal couldn't match.
    Mhamza
    Tonight

FC Basel 1893 - FC Porto

FC Schalke 04 - Real Madrid CF
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    So, the draw for the 1/4 final is:

PSG vs Barca

Atletico vs Real

Porto vs Bayern

Juventus vs Monaco

A happy draw for Bayern, another beatable opponent. Also, lucky Monaco and Juventus - I'm sure both these teams are happy not to get Bayern and Barca. Hope Berbatov will have another great match or two:)

Atletico vs Real will be actually the 6th and the 7th matches between them in this season. In all the previos matches Atletico have been better. @booinyoureyes , I hope Atletico can do it again, Simeone can do it again and revenge for the last year's CL final.

My favourite will be PSG vs Barca. Although Barca have an advantage, I remember two draws between these two teams 2 years ago. After defeating Chelsea with Mourinho, PSG can do anything. They'll try their best. Hope Zlatan will score at last and finish the team that didn't welcome him back in the day.

How I think the outcomes will happen:
    Barca
    Real
    Bayern
    Juventus

How I want the outcomes to happen:
    PSG
    Atletico
    Bayern
    Monaco
    FinneousPJbooinyoureyes
    Indeed, interesting pairs. Quite evenly matched except Porto (and maybe Monaco but they shouldn't be underestimated). Can't wait for the matchdays!
    JuliusBorisov
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I can't believe I missed this

Atletico actually beat Real Mierda 4 times this season, and we drew twice while playing better. We have their number. I usually try not to jinx but I'm PICKING ATLETI AND I DON'T CARE

Who I think will go through:
    Barca
    Bayern
    Rubentus
    ATLETI
    Whi I want to go through:
    PSG (though I am not a Barca hater)
    Don't really care much between Porto and Bayern
    Monaco
    ATLETI
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Porto 3-1 Bayern Munich

I think nobody has expected this. Bayern has been ripping each and every opponent in Bundesliga but it seems losing several players due to injury has costed them greatly. Especially Robben.

Although they still have a chance in the home game, this result shows that the team has weaknesses. I also remember their defeat agains ManCity on the group stage.

Atletico 0-0 Real Madrid

I've liked this match a lot. It was so hard for Atletico because it was the 7th game agaisnt Real in this season but they still managed not to lose. In the last 20 minutes I thought Atletico could even win it.

Not losing a goal at home is a good sign. Now just score away and everything will be fine:)

PSG 1-3 Barcelona

Unfortunately, I thought it would be a lot more close match. I've been following PSG for the last 4-5 years and I see they're constantly improving.

But Barcelona seems to be invinsible right now. A strong candidate for the win in the UCL, especially looking at Bayern now.

Juventus 1-0 Monaco

This has been expected, I guess. Although the previous results make ground for assumptions that Monaco could still go through if Berba is on his day.
    FinneousPJ
    David Luiz is responsible for 2 goals, lol

I'm really enjoying Juve this season. I hope they advance to finals.
    JuliusBorisov
    So...
    bengoshi said:

How I think the outcomes will happen:
    Barca
    Real
    Bayern
    Juventus

Unfortunately, I was right.

The draw for the next round:

Barcelona v Bayern Munich

Juventus v Real Madrid

Barcelona and Bayern are the best two teams in the tournament this year, so Juventus and Real are both very lucky. It's a shame Barcelona and Bayern can't play in the final.

Bayern... 7:0 and 6:1 at home... And this time the second match is also on their field. But Barca plays brilliantly as well now. It's a hard one to guess but I believe Barca would still do it. Maybe I'm biased because I still see Messi against Manchester City...

No matter who goes through here, we'll have 2 amazing games anyway.

As for Juventus v Real Madrid, I guess Madrid will win again somehow, although it would be cool if Juventus went through.
    booinyoureyesFinneousPJ
    $@^@^#%@^@^@&#%$@^@%&^^&%*$*#&$%#^#$&%#$%^#*$%&#$&*$^*#$&#*$^#*&
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJDungeonnoob
    @bengoshi Thx for posting the pairings. I've liked Juve this year, and I think they have a chance. But I think München vs Madrid is the final I want to see and also the most probable one.

@booinyoureyes Don't be mad Atleti did great in this year's competition.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
    Rube won!
    FinneousPJDungeonnoobJuliusBorisov
    Very entertaining game.
    booinyoureyesDungeonnoobJuliusBorisov
    What a Messi!
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyesDungeonnoob
    Barca is just unstoppable. Messi should definitely get the Ballon'D'Or this year. What a performance! I've expected Barca to win but still it's been done brilliantly. To tell the truth, Bayern had only one moment through all the match.

As for the Real - Juve match, I still think Real has a chance here. Their own pitch, one goal away. All to play for. But if Juve wins I'll be glad:)
    FinneousPJbooinyoureyes
    Tonight one of the final teams will be decided. Obviously Barça is the favorite, but I hope München can score an early goal to make the game more exciting.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2015
    So, as it turned out, München indeed scored an early goal but the power of the Barca's attack was so huge that Bayern quickly conceded 2 goals. In the second time though, Bayern played for their pride, and played well. I thought Thomas and Bastian personally couldn't just admit their defeat - they were so determinated till the very end.

The result showed that Bayern was a very good team, even without Robben, Alaba and Ribery. But it also showed that Barca was from another planet this particular period of the year.

Congratulations to all Juve fans, fully deserved overall win. It's such a pity Atletico became the last victim of the tiring Real... Good job, Siniora!

Just like Paddy (Patrice Evra) has said, the final will be David vs Goliath.

In football, everything is possible. The team that reaches a final is, generally, a very, very strong team. So Juve will try to go for it, to give their all. But I think that the power of Barca and the state, in which Messi now finds himself, are so excellent that all the Juve attempts won't be enough.

Barca has shown things this season nobody can stop. So, I vote Barca to become a champion. It will be a nice match, I'm sure about that.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    FinneousPJDungeonnoob
    Woo! The lesser of two evils won!
    BlackravenDungeonnoob
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    Bale shouldn't take the blame for Real Madrid's woeful performance :/
    booinyoureyes
    No, but Bale wasn't good either.
    Dungeonnoobbooinyoureyes
    edited May 2015
    Real Madrid's whole chemistry in general isn't good. Lots of great individuals but no synergy. Bale just gets a lot of criticism because of the price they paid for him. 100 million Euro price tag for one good season. It isn't a good return. I don't blame Bale, I blame Real Madrid for throwing around cash like they have an endless supply of it. If you spend that kind of money on one player, 9 times out of 10 they won't live up to expectations. You have to be an EXCEPTIONALLY gifted player to guarantee a return that fits that kind of price tag. Neymar and Ronaldo lived up to their huge price tags. Is Bale in the same league as them? Was he ever? I don't think so.
    Ronaldo was worse than Bale against Juve. He didn't take a single shot in the second half, and I found myself questioning if he was still even on the pitch.
    Nice. Juve won double last night, so both teams are probably going for the triple now. Barca has their cup final saturday next week.
    JuliusBorisov
    @bengoshi Barcelona plays in a pathetic league. You would expect them to score lots of goals in that league. I wonder what that table would look like if teams in La Liga were equal to teams in the Premier League.
    @wraith5641 You're kidding. How many of these superior teams got through to the round of 8? Oh that's right. None.