Skip to content

[Football] UCL thread

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2015
    Not going to argue which league is stronger.

But I'm sure that if Barca played in the Premier League, the stats would be similar.

P.S. Also, remember how Barca demolished Man City - this season's vice-champion and last season's champion of England... That match showed a lot.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    booinyoureyes
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @Finneous You can't compare the Champions League to the Premier League. They are quite different.

Also, the Champions League is made up of the best teams in Europe. Most of these teams are infinitely better than other teams from their specific domestic leagues.

Am I saying Barca would suck? No. However, defences in the PL are superior to any in Europe, meaning they wouldn't blow teams away 4-0 every single game.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @wraith5641 OK. Barca have 2.33 goals per game in the champions league. Per your point,

"Also, the Champions League is made up of the best teams in Europe. Most of these teams are infinitely better than other teams from their specific domestic leagues."

I rest my case.
    edited May 2015
    @FinneousPJ The CL isn't the PL. You can't use it as an accurate measure of domestic league form. The likes of Man City have proved that over the last several seasons.

Edit: Even Jose Mourinho has said that Real Madrid and Barca are so far ahead of the teams behind them, that winning the title in La Liga is easy. Atletico have managed to break the dichotomy, but for how long? In a couple of seasons, it will be back to a two-team league. Real Madrid and Barcelona wouldn't have it so easy in the Premier League. They would actually have some competition.
    booinyoureyes
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    During the dark week for the world of football (I mean the FIFA scandal), one of the best ever goals has been scored.

FinneousPJwraith5641
    Messi be like GL Juventus, cya in Berlin Buffon.
    JuliusBorisovwraith5641
    Messi is something else. I really don't think there has been anyone else like him. After his career is over, I'm pretty sure we will be saying he is the greatest of all time. We're already saying that now, and he's only 27! He still has at least another 5 seasons left at the top and at least another 7 left in football. His stats when he finishes are going to be mind-blowing.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
    bengoshi said:

So, I vote Barca to become a champion.

Not a big surprise here, although Juve played as best as they could. They had their 15 minutes when I thought "Maybe they have a chance!" Only if Pogba's ball went lower from that corner kick...

Anyway, congrats to Barca, a deserved winner in both the match and the tournament. This was one of the strongest teams in the history of the Champions League, I think. Just a head taller than everyone else this year.

It was a nice final, good job!
    FinneousPJbooinyoureyes
    Indeed. What a great season overall.
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited July 2015
    Clint Dempsey just set back US-Cuba relations years.

There is a new Cuban Missile Crisis... and it comes off of Michael Bradley's right boot.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov

Messi is something else. I really don't think there has been anyone else like him. After his career is over, I'm pretty sure we will be saying he is the greatest of all time. We're already saying that now, and he's only 27! He still has at least another 5 seasons left at the top and at least another 7 left in football. His stats when he finishes are going to be mind-blowing.

I say he is already the greatest of all time. He is the dominant athlete of our generation (unlike that fake Mayweather)
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
    http://www.beinsports.com/us/soccer/news/real-madrid-make-e1m-pledge-to-help-refugees-/89707

"Real Madrid make 1 million Euro pledge to help refugees in Spain"

in January....

BREAKING NEWS: David de Gea claiming refugee status
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
    So, there're only 4 teams left:

Man City - Real
    Atletico - Bayern

The past experience shows that the team beating Barca has a good chance. Taking this into consideration, plus my faith into El Cholo's wisdom, I would bet Atletico will go through, althouth they are not favourites.

As for Man City, their manager is much more experienced than Zizou in Real, but Real has a better team. Man City already surprised me by beating PSG, but I still believe that Ronnie wouldn't be stopped against a team he doesn't like.

I see Real - Atletico final again, and this time it has to be different.
    booinyoureyesFinneousPJ
    Disappointed we drew Bayern, as I think they are the hardest to beat. Real gets lucky yet again with their draw (they were fortunate every round, have yet to face a top team).

I think it will be Real v Bayern, with Bayern as slight favorites.

Of the two underdogs, I think Atletico is the better team for sure, having eliminated the best team in the world. I also think Man City are somewhat fraudulent, and only one because PSG under-performed. While I think Atletico are a good match-up for Bayern, since we have excellent fullbacks, I worry about Lewandowski, Vidal and Muller a lot. The Atletico midfield needs to assert itself and Godin needs to be on Lewandowski like a parasite.
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJGozeta

(they were fortunate every round, have yet to face a top team).

Poor Man City supporters (not that I don't share your point of view ;) )
    booinyoureyesFinneousPJ
    bengoshi said:

(they were fortunate every round, have yet to face a top team).

Poor Man City supporters (not that I don't share your point of view ;) )
    They are fifteen points behind Leicester and have never been this far in the tournament before, so they have nothing to complain about :)
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovsparkleav
    Oh Atleti, you're cool! Now, let's see if Bayern can get three past Atletico's nearly perfect defence (as I have no doubts Atleti will score in Germany!)

I think Real will outscore MC on their own ground.
    FinneousPJZiminairbooinyoureyesGozeta
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    Man City have been poor this season. I'm rooting for R.Madrid but then I'm a Liverpool supporter ;)
    FinneousPJbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisovGozeta
    I'm in a strange position where I dislike Real and City. I'm no big Bayern fan either, as it bores me to always see them win the Bayernliga Bundesliga, but would certainly prefer them over City and of course over Real.

This past match was very exciting. Unfortunately I have to take an exam during the second leg, and will miss all but the final 15 minutes (if I'm lucky). :( Very sad. It is not often I get to see my club compete so late in the tournament.
    FinneousPJsparkleavJuliusBorisov
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We made it! One more match 'til glory. Still nervous for the final.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovMacHurto
    Atleti - Man City would be a unique match. Of course, Real is the far more likely finalist.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
    edited May 2016
    Atletico already deserves to win the tournament, as they defeated probably strongest teams in Europe - Barcelona and Bayern. What an achievement already! And it looks like Mr Simeone thinks the same:

"I really have to say we played against the best team I have faced in my whole career. It was unbelievable how they played," said Simeone. "It's unbelievable what we have achieved.

"It was great to see my team play with such intensity. When Bayern missed their penalty, we had a good chat in the half-time break and we coped with the pressure they put on us in the second half.

"We achieved our goal, we have seen that we are a very strong team, but we were really good defensively."
    FinneousPJbooinyoureyes
    So... not a surprise.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
    Lucky goal though. I'm a little worried for the final.
    JuliusBorisov
    bengoshi said:

:)

Somehow I believe that Atletico is a favourite in the final. It would be very unfortunate if their team lose again as it happened 2 years ago. Especially after such perfomances as against Barca and Bayern. Hopefully the absence of Di Maria in this Real team would be enough :wink:
    FinneousPJsparkleavbooinyoureyeslolien
    bengoshi said:

bengoshi said:

:)

Somehow I believe that Atletico is a favourite in the final. It would be very unfortunate if their team lose again as it happened 2 years ago. Especially after such perfomances as against Barca and Bayern. Hopefully the absence of Di Maria in this Real team would be enough :wink:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. DO NOT JINX IT
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovsparkleav
    I am all nerves for tomorrow. Seeing it in a pub in Dublin with some friends... half are supporting Atletico, with me leading the pack, and the other half are horrible human beings :p
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJsparkleav
    Good luck! I have no doubts they'll fight like gladiators, giving their all. I vote Atletico 2:1 Real Madrid, Griezmann and Ronaldo scoring, with Godin scoring a winner from a set-piece.
    FinneousPJsparkleavbooinyoureyes
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    I'm wanting Atletico to win too. 2:1 sounds good @JuliusBorisov
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJbooinyoureyes
    I think both teams are in strong form. It will be an interesting match.
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes