Skip to content

Fallout 4, not The Elder Scrolls VI, to be presented at E3 2015

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

We already had a Fallout movie. It's called Mad Max: Fury Road. Or did I mean Cherry 2000?

There weren't as many references as I thought there would be, given how strongly The Road Warrior influenced Fallout. Nothing is ever supposed to work out quite like you want it to and resolutions are supposed to be tolerable rather than "and they all lived happily ever after".
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited June 2015

For now, I can totally says that the game meets my expectations for it. And I had none. Apparently, it will be developed by Bethesda, so I guess the game is going to be pretty bad and piss over entire franchise once again.

Now excuse me while I'll go play some good rpg. Like Witcher 3.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Hey, at least you are keeping an open mind about the whole thing. :P
    wubbleFinneousPJFardragon
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    That trailer was completely underwhelming....I'm not going to be able to play this game regardless since the specs are going to be far too high, but I don't see any itch here that Fallout 3 or New Vegas don't already scratch pretty well. The thing with Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim is at the very least they are very unique games and settings you couldn't possibly mistake for the other. Aside from the latest in graphics technology (which I've never cared about in the least), it doesn't seem the Fallout world has much room to grow aesthetically. The post-nuclear future stuck in a Eisenhower-era culture with a 1940s soundtrack. It works, it probably still will work. But will you ever get that feeling that the isometrics gave the first time, or the minute you stepped out of the Vault in Fallout 3 and were presented with the vista of a destroyed Washington DC to actually explore in first-person??
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    It would be great to explore europe and asia in future games, and expand the lore there.
    the_spyderJuliusBorisov
    I agree that there's a whole world out there to explore. Maybe set the next one in a different country? Or high up in the mountains?

I'd find it awesome if somewhere along the way you encountered a city of apes, or an underground area ruled by psychic humanoids all worshiping The alpha and the Omega.
    JuliusBorisov
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    edited June 2015
    I absolutely love Fallout 2. However, Fallout: New Vegas didn't really feel the same to me. I kinda lost faith in the series after that. It didn't really capture the dark, lonely atmosphere like Fallout 2 did. The combat was also really frustrating. I'm hoping Fallout 4 will go back to its roots in many ways.
    Musigny
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It seems unlikely that Bethesda would abandon their third/first person gameplay after Fallout 3 and New Vegas were so popular, even disregarding the trailer. Action-based gameplay in an open world setting is what Bethesda does best, and they do it very well if sales are any indication; I would expect them to iterate on what they've already established, rather than going backward. That being said, I'm curious to see what happens with the VATS and SPECIAL systems.
    elminsterthe_spydermlneveseJuliusBorisov
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I just love wandering around shooting things while listening to old timey music.
    the_spyderJuliusBorisovMathsorcerer[Deleted User]
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited June 2015
    wubble said:

I just love wandering around shooting things while listening to old timey music.

I agree, I do to. And I find both Fallout 3 and New Vegas to be fantastic games. The problem is I already have 200+ hours of gameplay to sink my teeth into already installed on my computer. Mostly, I just wonder what Fallout 4 can bring to the table that is going to make it any different than what we've already done twice. Again, the 3 modern Elder Scrolls games all had unique things in their gameplay to differentiate them. Fallout 3 and New Vegas were exactly the same mechanically, and I would be shocked if 4 was anything but a juiced up version of both. And 3 hyper-massive games doing just what you said just seems like overkill. It will be the biggest game of the year when it comes out. Just not sure I have any interest.
    JuliusBorisov
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that Fallout 3 and New Vegas were 'Exactly the same mechanically'. There were quite a few tweaks in both the mechanics and in the story telling mechanism that made them both unique from each other.

I for one could use 'More' of the setting and the world. I don't need them to reinvent the wheel, merely give me new locations to find, sights to see, weapons to find and baddies to gank. It's kind of like NWN in that just because you have completed the campaign and the expansions that in no way means that there isn't endless hours of MODS to explore. Yes, the same 'World' (more or less), but whole new stories to tell and explore.
    Wilbur
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I would love a Fallout game showing some other part of the world... What about China, Europe, South America or Africa? What happened to the rest of the world? Was any country spared of complete destruction? Just imagine what would happen to all those nice animals in Australia if they were exposed to the FEV virus :)
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovelminster
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I'm really looking forward to Fallout 4. I really, really love the whole Fallout RPG series, including Tactics (I've never played the other spinoffs though, I think there was a brotherhood of steel FPS or something?).

I honestly don't care if Fallout 4 brings nothing new to the table, if it plays exactly like Fallout NV or 3, it'll be fine imo. Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics all basically play the same. BG1,2,IWD,PST all basically play the same. All good/great games. There's nothing wrong with sticking with a good system.

As for fallout 4, just the small snippet we've seen in the trailer, I can't wait to explore those areas, meet those npc's (hopefully some memorable personalities, if the visual design of the areas is anything to go by).
    Mathsorcererthe_spyder
    All this talk of Fallout made me want to play Fallout 3 once more... And I just discovered my physical copy is not installing :(
    the_spyder
    @mlnevese - I might just fire up my copy as well. Time to take another stomp through the wasteland. gotta eradicate me some Super-Mutants.
    mlnevese
    @the_spyder I just bought another copy from Steam. Needs a little work to run under Windows 8.1 but I'm back in the wastelands :)
    the_spyderJuliusBorisov
    I hate to admit but I am one of "Those console" people. I am going to fire up my 360 this weekend and put in a few hours.
    mlnevesewubble
  • Ignatius_J_ReillyIgnatius_J_Reilly Member Posts: 24
    I'd be a lot more excited about this if it were being developed by someone other than Bethesda. Anybody but Bethesda. Even EA/BioWare would be preferable.

The only thing Bethesda can do is make pretty landscapes. They can't craft a decent quest to save their lives, they have no idea what an RPG mechanic is or what purpose it serves, and prefer to spend more time filling their worlds with a hundred look-alike caves and dungeons and ensuring that you can pick up every knife and fork rather than actually turning out a decent game. And you can certain that FO4 will be utterly-bug ridden, because Bethesda's QA process apparently amounts to little more than "Does the game install, yes/no?"

If it were being made by Obsidian, I'd be all over it. But *not* Bethesda. They need to stick with TES and leave Fallout the hell alone.
    MusignyJuliusBorisov
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Some says graphic is not THAT good but to me debut trailer is cool enough. Just glad to look power armor again in brand new fallout series was what I was looking for.
    But maybe later goty edition is releases is when I will be playing fallout 4.
    Good news indeed it is.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I am now redoing the mods I have installed in F3 and I'll be starting up a game this weekend.
    Teflon
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

The problem is I already have 200+ hours of gameplay to sink my teeth into already installed on my computer.

That's my situation as well. Just recently I've even been going back to Fallout 3, and I have yet to finish New Vegas. While I'm looking forward to eventually trying out Fallout 4, I'll be waiting until the Ultimate edition is available, and on sale at Steam.

Teflonmlnevese

I'd be a lot more excited about this if it were being developed by someone other than Bethesda. Anybody but Bethesda. Even EA/BioWare would be preferable.

The only thing Bethesda can do is make pretty landscapes. They can't craft a decent quest to save their lives, they have no idea what an RPG mechanic is or what purpose it serves, and prefer to spend more time filling their worlds with a hundred look-alike caves and dungeons and ensuring that you can pick up every knife and fork rather than actually turning out a decent game. And you can certain that FO4 will be utterly-bug ridden, because Bethesda's QA process apparently amounts to little more than "Does the game install, yes/no?"

If it were being made by Obsidian, I'd be all over it. But *not* Bethesda. They need to stick with TES and leave Fallout the hell alone.

Without bethesda fallout would still be waiting for a sequel, and of course they have their faults but you have to remember morrowind and shivering isles were fantastic, dishonoured was also a grat game and had clear consequences for decision making. The potential is clearly there and you can't have a go at them for one game, fallout 3 was still a gpod game even if it wasn't up to the standard of the previous games, they aren't going to succeed if you don't give them a chance to improve. Same with beamdog, have they done all I wanted perfectly? No, but they have tried hard and they've given a game I love a chance for more life.
    Teflon
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    wubble said:

dishonoured was also a grat game and had clear consequences for decision making.

Bethesda didn't produce Dishonoured, they only distributed it. Arkane Studios was the company who actually created it and did all the work on it. Don't confuse Bethesda Game Studios with Bethesda Softworks. Bethesda Game Studios is their actual development arm, and their only titles so far are all of the Elder Scroll games and some of the Fallout series, namely Fallout 3 and 4. Obsidian Entertainment created New Vegas under contract by ZeniMax Media, the parent company of both Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks and a couple of other studios, and they did all the actual work on it. Bethesda Software is their distribution section, and they function much like EA Games, UBISoft or Take-Two, selling games made by other studios and farming out projects. It's a bit of a convoluted arrangement, so it's easy to get confused by their corporate structure.
    wubbleTeflonMusigny
    still, morrowind was good.
    TeflonJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I am now redoing the mods I have installed in F3 and I'll be starting up a game this weekend.

The only mods I have are mine (as is often the case). I took out the cheesy "do an extra 35 damage per hit against the PC, ignoring DT/DR"" effect that certain weapons like the tri-beam laser have, as well as cutting feral ghoul reaver health by half. At one time I wanted to install the CONELRAD radio station but I never did. *shrug*

Oddly, I can't get GECK to work on the computer I am currently using but I'll figure that out later.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited June 2015
    Exploring other continents?

In Fallout 4, you could spend your early weeks walking the wasteland, fighting mutated, aggressive wildlife and giant, venomous spiders only to find out one day that you're actually in 1940s in Australia and the Nuclear War has only started today.
    FinneousPJmlneveseMathsorcerer
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Haha, Australia joke.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Their E3 presentation.

F4 looks promising.
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseShin