Skip to content

Top 5 Insane Characters wanted

So, there's a single alignment I've never played so far: Chaotic Neutral. And because "Lunatics and madman tend toward chaotic neutral behavior", I've decided to make this one a themed play-through, with, well, the most nuts party I can accomplish. As to who will join my CN Jester called Sheogorath, I'm still uncertain.

While thinking of my setup, I've noticed that the number of insane characters in BG 1 is in and of itself insane. So I'm not at a loss if choices, I'm just debating who should go with me. I'd love Neera, since she somewhat fits the theme and I've used her not nearly as much as I wanted to.

This party does not need to be viable. Semi-viable is enough for a fun game. The Characters should somewhat get along, but my Charisma is maxed out to help with that. Any alignments allowed.

Who do I think is staple?
1. CHARNAME 2. Neera 3. Quayle 4. Tiax? although I'm not certain how evil he demands me to be. 5./6. ??? completely open for now

I'm easily persuaded to other ideas, all suggestions welcome. I know this isn't the most original idea, but it'll be fun, for sure. A big THX to anyone who takes the time in advance! :D

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Tiax definitely needs to be included. He ends up in Spellhold in BG2!

Xzar is also quite insane, but like Tiax, he is also chaotic evil, and I don't know what you'd wanna do with that conniving Montaron. Not insane enough.

Minsc could give you some much-needed melee competence, but like Xzar, he comes with his own pairing with Dynaheir, so you'd have to get rid of her as well. Plus he's chaotic good, so I don't know how well he'd get along with the evil companions.

Alora could be considered crazy with her excessive happy-go-lucky attitude. Same with Faldorn and her extreme nature-conquers-all worldview. Get creative! :smiley:
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    How could I forget Minsc! *facepalms himself*

I'm not scrupulous in the least about separating pairings. Maybe I will equip Minsc with the helmet of opposite alignment, so he gets along with Tiax and Xzar (also a good suggestion) since he lost Dynaheir, but that might be a bit of a stretch, since he becomes lawful (uugh!). I'll definitely think about it, however.

I never saw Alora so much as insane, but more of an annoying person... Annoyingly cute! :tongue:

I wonder, how insane is Shar-teel? She might be my melee, even though her CON is low.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

opposite alignment, so he gets along with Tiax and Xzar (also a good suggestion) since he lost Dynaheir, but that might be a bit of a stretch, since he becomes lawful (uugh!).

In Bg1 Minsc is Neutral Good . So he would become Neutral Evil.
    wow, this is really news to me! :open_mouth: i had him in my party before, but always thought it was the same alignment as in bg 2. Just goes to show how attentively I read my members character sheets.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea the death of Dynaheir apparently turns him chaotic. Moreso anyways :p
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Top 5?

1. Tiax
    2. Xzar

These are obvious. Then

3. Baeloth (crazed with power and revenge)
    4. Quayle (yeah, a weird one)
    5. Imoen (hyper in bg1, bipolar in bg2)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    elminster said:

In Bg1 Minsc is Neutral Good .

Yup. In BG1 Minsc is Neutral Good according to the game. In actuality he acts Chaotic Neutral throughout. He tries to kill you if you simply turn down the offer to rescue Dynaheir. That is NOT Good behavior in the slightest. He's a great choice for your party in terms of personality. If you're going for a themed party, I would say don't obsess over the alignment text.

Minsc, Xzar, and Tiax are by far the most nutty. Baeloth comes next. After that it's a bit hazy, but you could certainly go for Neera, Quayle, Faldorn, and Alora.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Tiax, Xzar, Minsc, Neera, Monty (sociopath + thief in earlier part of the game).

From a power gaming perspective, take Dorm till you reach Baldur's Gate doing his quest so you can get the elven chain mail from his quest then drop him for Tiax.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35t4kg

on Montaron. :wink: minus the "do your research"-part.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I wonder, how insane is Shar-teel? She might be my melee, even though her CON is low.

Bloodthirsty man-hater? Oh yeah, she'd fit the crazy bill too.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    The only problem you may encounter is access to a healer before Chapter 4. Branwen is a bit overzealous, so you could use her until then, perhaps.
    Quartz said:

The only problem you may encounter is access to a healer before Chapter 4.

Didn't think of that problem. I decided to go with: Xzar, Tiax, Neera (the girl with crazy magic), Minsc and Quayle so until I get to the city, I'll have at least a slot for a healer. I'll make a race for the city, not leveling up past lv 2 for hp purposes and actually giving Tiax useful Thief skills. My only detour will be the Knoll Stronghold. Daveron will definitely be a pain up the ass, but I'll make it.

I'm really curious about what the Helm of opposite Alignment will do with Minsc, since he's a ranger. Will he fall as soon as i put it on? Can he no longer become fallen, kind of like a Blackguard? Or will it not make any Changes in this respect? How far could a rangers rep go without danger again...?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I think this is relevant to this thread. There was a poll http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34024/who-is-the-maddest-gnome-of-all/p1 with interesting comments on the subject. From that poll I can say that it could be a fun idea to make a BG1 playthrough with Tiax, Quayle and Ctrl Q 'd Mad Arcand, Mutamin and Brevlik.

Noone would dare face the party of those crazy shorties!
    Is there any way to give those characters a portrait? I guess the grey question mark is fitting for any mentally challenged gnome, but... I like my lunatics to be quite colorful. :mrgreen:
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    The problem is they won't have companion dialogues and banters, so There's nothing to make it feel like a genuinely insane experience.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Tiax and quayle have some nice interactions with each other....