Skip to content

[Android, pre-beta] dialogue bug bg2 ee android

MoritzMoritz Member Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
I couldn't find this anywhere and it turned into a gamebraker in the end, so here it goes:
Since i started playing on Android I encountered several bugged dialogue sequences: the npc-text and my possible answers were either replaced by random characters (looks a bit like someone falling asleep on the keyboard) or just an empty line. Usually it was possible to just click through the dialogue nonetheless, but in some cases the game would then crash at a certain point during the dialogue. It was not a big problem up to now, because it only affected dialogues that are either avoidable or where the actual content was not very important (Townsfolk giving directions in Umar Hills for example) and I just clicked through random answers. Now however it is affecting the next romance-dialogue with jaheira and when I try to click through that one the game always crashes at some point no matter which answers I choose.
I hope there is a solution. I could just kick her out of the party, but I think sooner or later this bug will occur where there is really no way around the dialogue.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Could you advise make/model of device please @Moritz and also if you save before an affected dialogue does it do exactly the same on a reload, and also after restarting the device. & could you also provide a screenshot please.
    Thanks
  • MoritzMoritz Member Posts: 7
    If a dialogue is affected it is always affected even if I reload, use different saves or restart the device. I use a Samsung gt-p7501 with android 4.04. Screenshot is attached. I noticed that when I use a certain combination of answers I get through that dialogue without crash. Unfortunately there follows a dialogue between Jaheira and her former Harfner colleague which is also affected and inevetably crashes.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    That looks suspiciously like it's reading non-text data into a text buffer. Typically such issues are caused either by buffer-overflow or by pointer-misallocation.

I wonder ... is the engine trying to switch to double-byte characters to cope with the extended German alphabet, but then failing to ensure that *char pointers are word-aligned instead of byte-aligned? Just a thought, and maybe I'm completely wrong, but this could explain why this error might happen in some languages but not others.
    I don't suppose you could zip & attach that save please @Moritz
    Thanks
    Here it is. The affected dialogue starts right after leaving the fortress.
    edited June 2015
    Works OK for me in German @Moritz even with tablet language also set to German. I don't know if I need to do something else, whether it is device specific or it could be the version of game as I have the beta installed. If you wished to try the beta version to see if that makes a difference.
    (if you do update, best to take a copy of your saves first)
    How can I get the beta version?
    Thank you. With the beta version it all works as it should.