Skip to content

Is carsomyr +5 too powerful for a first time player? (Spoilers?)

I've recently killed Firkraag and i got the Carsomyr +5, however it seems INCREDIBLY powerful compared to everything else i've encountered in the game.
I'm not using the Weapon atm as i currently have Keldorn parked in his home, and i don't have another paladin in my party.
I would however pick him up and equip him with Carsomyr, if it wasn't because i'm afraid that i will trivialize a great part of the game due to the Dispel effect?

Most of the challenging stuff i've encountered, was challenging because of magical effects that carsomyr then would be able to single handedly deal with?

Since this is my first playthrough, i'm asking you experienced players, whether or not carsomyr is too powerful for a first time player? (in the regard that it would ruin the experience)

If it matters my party is currently around lvl 12-14 (depending on class), and i'm about to go to Spellhold, but didn't want to go there before i get this matter resolved.

Comments

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Carsomyr certainly isn't more powerful than Keldorn's kit-class is. Inquisitor is one of the most powerful classes in the game. Character levels have more influence on difficulty than the gear you're packing so if you don't want to trivialize the game, don't enter Watcher's Keep until Throne of Bhaal.

Toward the endgame and TOB, spellcasters are going to use Protection from Magic Weapons, which essentially makes your guys miss their targets. When you miss, Carsomyr's dispel-on-hit doesn't trigger because you're not hitting the target. So, it may sound powerful, but it isn't as powerful as it sounds. For a first timer, Irenicus is still going to be a challenge, regardless of what weapons you bring into the fight.

Most of the challenging stuff i've encountered, was challenging because of magical effects that carsomyr then would be able to single handedly deal with?

Mages aren't the only difficult enemy in this game. Won't go into further detail, you'll find it out yourself.. :wink:
    Yannir said:

Character levels have more influence on difficulty than the gear you're packing so if you don't want to trivialize the game, don't enter Watcher's Keep until Throne of Bhaal.

Ok, you can get started on the 1st level but don't finish it.. :smile:
    Montresor_SP
  • kaabrejnerkaabrejner Member Posts: 9
    Yannir said:

Yannir said:

Character levels have more influence on difficulty than the gear you're packing so if you don't want to trivialize the game, don't enter Watcher's Keep until Throne of Bhaal.

Ok, you can get started on the 1st level but don't finish it.. :smile:
    I actually went in there, but gave up on the portal maze level because i got stomped
    don't know how much a XP lead it gave me, but didn't seem like a lot.

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    As a first time player you'll die enough that you should use whatever you find.

Heck, I'm a long time player and I still use everything I find. And I still die.

The no-magic areas of watcher's keep...damn those demons/devils!

Mindflayers. They eat your brains...if you aren't careful then you'll be a tasty snack.

Vampires. Carelessness will get you, as your levels vanish before your eyes.

Beholders. Ever have your entire party get stunned/turned to stone/magicked to death? Yeah...I have.

Take the sword, use it...then decide whether you want it in your next run.
    semiticgoddessGreenWarlockSertoriusJuliusBorisov

I actually went in there, but gave up on the portal maze level because i got stomped

There's one particular fight on that level that is pretty steep difficulty. HLA's are the only solution, IMO.
  • 6the6bull6 6the6bull6 Member Posts: 2

There's one particular fight on that level that is pretty steep difficulty. HLA's are the only solution, IMO.

I am on the verge of beating watchers keep at level 14 (around 2mil exp). That battle was intense but a little luck and careful planning should get you through it without much problems.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I may assure you that you will still struggle against some enemies despite having Carsomyr. Not all enemies are trivialized by an on-hit dispel magic
    OlvynChuru
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    I would agree with @Grum; the first run use what you can get your hands on. On later runs you can always decide on which items you find too cheesy and refrain from using them to increase the challenge.

If you are still worried about you could start messing about with a couple of mods; Ao knows there's plenty of them that will make things more challenging.
    JuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Hold on to Carsomyr. Item restrictions are for Wizard Slayers and masochists.
    cognoscentusSmilingSwordJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2015
    Even a thief or bard with UAI will make use of Carsomyr with glee.
    A paladin has the right to that weapon. If you think it is still very powerful, scs component rebalances it that its strike allows a saving throw vs spell to resist the dispel on hit. And spellcasters generally have excellent saving throws (except poison and death, which they are very suspectible)

Also, staff of magi works the same as well, and a mage can stop time, walk up to the buffed up enemy/dragon and whack! Leave the target naked as the day it was born, spell buff wise. Scs also edits it to force a save vs spell. Ditto for the infamous arrows of dispelling, scs also makes them very, very rare to find.
    JuliusBorisov
    lunar said:

Also, staff of magi works the same as well, and a mage can stop time, walk up to the buffed up enemy/dragon and whack! Leave the target naked as the day it was born, spell buff wise.

Try hitting a demilich with a mage and any staff. Doesn't work!
    My sorcerer tried to whack one of the demiliches in BP2 with SotM, and didn't hit once with around 20 attacks. Then I was just like, screw this, and cast MMM.
    SmilingSword
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Carsomyr is better for non-Inquisitors, as has been noted, but its certainly not going to make the game a cake-walk, especially for a first timer.

Folks should should be putting some stuff in spoiler tags btw, thats a newbie! I think.

So yeah, keep Carsomyr, and use it via Use Any Cheese Item if necessary. Keldorn benefits from that big phat 50% resistance, and the +5 to hit/damage, unless you've already got lots of str boosting gear (ie lste SoA).
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    By the way, a little tip/ exploit concerning Carsomyr: it states it set magic resistance to 50%, but if you actually equip other equipment that give magic resistances after you equipped Carsomyr you will get 50 from Carsomyr + other equipment bonuses. I have never been sure whether it is intended or not. I would vote for the no option as it is written "set" and it is a holy blade, which should overcome any other items.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovFenghoang