Skip to content

***[COMPLETE]*** Zuzhul Plaguebringer Returns! - Icewind Dale edition

Comments

• GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    18 Mirtul 1282

The cave led to immense network of tunnels carved into the ice its very self, what large and terrible creature could burrow so effortlessly into the rock hard permafrost?

I didn't take long to find out, I had walked right into a Remorhaz lair! I remember reading about these Remorhaz, or Razorworms back in Candlekeep, immensely powerful prehistoric creatures often believed extinct and lost to time, but the deadly looking creatures staring me down right now, certainly proved beyond doubt that that was not the case.

The group of Razorworms began to advance, I quickly began an incantation and released a deadly wilting horror spell upon the creatures, the Remorhaz barely seemed to notice my spell, suddenly picking up speed as they closed in. I began to back peddle, bombarding the incredibly tough creatures with spell after spell, both skull traps and wilting horror attacks were easily nullified by the monsters impressive magic resistance. Finally one of my spells bypassed one of the monsters impressive defences, cracking open one of its armour plated scales. If it bleeds, I can kill it!

I continued to back peddle, my spells quickly running out and it wasn't long until I found myself backed out of the cave, and back onto the narrow ledges and walkways high upon the mountain, narrow ledges the great creatures was much to large to cross!

Several of the creature became stuck upon the small ledge as soon they left the cave, however one of them feeling slightly braver than the others decided to follow me for a short distance before also getting stuck on the winding ledge. Unable to reach me, I stopped and held my ground, releasing a barrage of spells upon the creature. Its magic resistance was impressive, but not completely impervious, and the shear volume of magical attacks eventually wore the beast down.

By the time I was ready to engage the remaining Remorhaz, my offensive spell reserves were almost fully expended, I released the last of my skull traps and wilting horrors managing to slay one more of the monsters, but there were still two very angry razorworms remaining, I was going to have to finish this up close and personal....

I began to raise an army of the dead, I threw wave after wave at the great worms but to little effect, the powerful Remorhaz decimating each skeleton with a single blow. However, for every wave of undead I raised, I acquired a single skeletal archer. With a small contingent of archers at my back, I changed tact and drew my sling.

Trapped and helpless, the worms could do little against the endless stream of rocks and arrows that were pelting it them from afar, and despite their thick armoured shells, and monstrous constitution slowly but surely we managed to beat the creatures down!

24 Mirtul 1282

It took several days to recover from the brutal onslaught of the razorworms, but once I had regained my strength I made a second vencher into the Ice caverns. The lair was certainly a breeding ground for the creatures, however advancing cautiously I was generally able to deal with them one by one.

Eventually I found my way to the source of the infestation, a nest! I had stumbled into a room containing a deep pit, filled with eggs as well as several brooding Remorhaz. I crept back out of the room, I hadn't been spoted yet.

Around the perimeter of the pit was a narrow walkway, the only way the razor worms could reach me. I resorted to an old tactic I had often used when dealing with powerful opponents, and planted a minefield of skull traps on either side of the ledge. I crept out of the cave and set up camp, rememorizing my spells before the inevitable battle.

25 Mirtul 1282

With a small undead strike force covering my back, I stealthily reproached the nest the following morning, and breathed a sigh of relief that my traps had not been disturbed. Quietly I began laying a second minefield of skull traps, even with such potent magic resistance, there was no way the creatures would bypass these traps unscathed...

The worms were still totally oblivious to my presence, so I took full advantage of the element of surprise by releasing several dense clouds of Abi-Dalzim's Wilting Horror into the nest. With such a high volume of the thick cloud, in such a small confined space it wasn't long before it began to bypass the creatures magical resistances.

Soon there was a loud thud, and the room shook ever so slightly as one of the creatures collapsed down dead. I used that as my cue to attack, and rather than reveal my presence just yet, I ordered two of my zombies into the room. There was a mighty roar in the room, as the Remoraz tried to alert each other to the presence of the zombie intruders, and in unison the beasts closed in for the kill.

The first Remorhaz already weakened from the vaporous wilting horror spell scuttled in from the east, a massive explosion echoed through the cavernous network of tunnels and cave, and the first worm fell down stone dead. Then I waited, and seconds later the next Remorhaz came scuttling around the corner, this time against all odds the beast managed to shrug off the effects of all seven skull traps that blew up un its face.

Completely uninjured, it closed in for the kill. I backed off quickly, ordering my undead to intercept the enraged creature. Soon more Remorhaz guardians spilled into the room, ready to fight to the death to protect the eggs. With the Remorhaz completely distracted by my undead, I released a couple more wilting horror spells, and breathed a sign of relief when both the razor worms recoiled from the deadly attack.

With my undead guardians ready to fall any minute, I backed off further down the tunnel, and began to summon a second wave of undead. No sooner had I completed my spell, the Remorhaz already dispatched the first group of skeletons and were bearing down upon us once more. I backed away, letting my minions once again take the brunt of the assault. From a cast my last wilting horror, unfortunately to no effect this time.

A zombie forwards to meet the worm assault, but before it could reach engage, a volley of arrows whistled down the tunnel and over its shoulder, hitting one of the wounded Remorhaz right in the face, and taking it out of the fight immediately.

Knowing my skeletal archers were my most effective weapon against the worms, I began summoning wave after wave of undead minions, and throwing them at the great worm to keep it busy and away from my precious archers. The battle had drained me dry of my magical energy, but against all odds me managed to beat down the remaining razor worm, and somehow manage to win. I set up camp for the night, hopefully now that their nest is destroyed, I wont be encountering quite so many of the things.

28 Mirtul 1282

I encountered several more Remorhaz as I continued my journey through the ice cave, but none proved as challenging as the battle at the nest. Eventually I found my way to a man made, or rather dwarven made room, that was certainly out of place in the natural cavern.

The room was some kind of smiths forge, pottering about the room was a dwarf who was obviously blind.

The Dwarf was Tiernon, an old smith who had been *called* to the place to create a weapon of incredible power. Unfortunately without the use of his eyes, forging his lifes work is next to impossible. I have agreed to assist the dwarf, in exchange he will craft me a magical mirror that I will need if I am to gain access to the Hjollders Gloomfrost Seer.

It took several days, but the Dwarf has crafted a beautiful dagger which he has bestowed upon me, afterall it is of no use to him now that he is blind. The dagger has many enchantments that will protect me from both the elements and magic, by allowing me to cast both the storm and antimagic shell spells once per day.

The mirror he granted me for assisting him is needed to gain access to the witches hidden chamber on the level below. With nothing left for me to do on the upper level, I cautiously descended down to the lower level.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2015
    I'm probably going to break my rules and cheat on the next map, by allowing my self the use of a couple of dimensional door scrolls. If my memory serves there is a wonderful necklace, that reduces casting time in a deep pit.

Unfortunately it is totally inaccessible on foot. The only way to get down there is with translocation arrows, or by using the dimensional door spell. Its too awesome an item to miss out on!

EDIT: Quickloot FTW! Didn't have to warp down the hole afterall!
    Post edited by Genryu on
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2015
    20 Mirtul 1282

The smooth ice of the lower levels was like a polished mirror, I could see my visage reflected off every wall, off every stalagmite and ice pillar. In one such block of ice, I saw not my own reflection looking back at me, but that of an old crone, who was watching me intently.

The vision lasted but a moment and then gradually faded, replaced once again by my own face. I hadn't met her yet, but I somehow knew I had just looked upon the Gloomfrost Seer, I thought back to the giant eye that had opened up on the mountain face when I first arrived, and realised that I had not hallucinated, the seer has been watching my progress from the very beginning.

Further in I was waylaid by magical contructs of ice, obviously protections forged by the blind seer. Despite having a small resistance to my magic, it wasn't nearly as potent as that of the Remorhaz, and I managed to battle through the defenses with relative ease.

Eventually I found myself at a dead end, a wall of sheer ice. I pulled out Tiernon's enchanted mirror and turned around so that I could examine the wall through the mirrors reflection. Just as Tiernon promised, the mirror revealed the seers illusion. There was actually a large open gateway passing right through the wall, though the seer had hidden it well with illusion spells.

I stepped through the wall, and finally came face to face with the old crone.

The crone had spent years hiding away, hiding from me! For her visions revealed that I would be the one responsible for her inevitable demise. For a woman expecting me to murder her, she seemed quite calm, maybe she had come to accept her fate?

We spoke at length about her visions, and of Wylfdene. The Barbarian king *is* possessed, though not by Jerrod, but by a female with a heart of winter. The spirit had been wronged many years ago by a man she had loved, a man of the Ten Towns, and now bides her time patiently building her army ready to wipe the ten towns from the face of the spine of the world.

The seer informs me that the spirit possessing Wylfdene is a proud and very vain *creature*, who could not bear to look at herself wearing the skin of a human. I have no idea what kind of creature the seer is referring too, but apparently Tiernon's mirror is the key to revealing her true identity.

When our meeting was over, I turned to leave but then I paused for a moment, I couldn't help but sense the powerful enchantments radiating from the seers sole possession, a ragged old cape. From over my shoulder I heard the seer let out a dejected sigh....

Seers and their visions! If only the old hag, had the forsight to hide her enchanted cloak before our meeting, her years of hiding and self banishment could have been avoided, and she would still be alive right now.

moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2015
    25 Mirtul 1282

With the mirror in hand I headed straight for the barbarian camp. The mighty Wylfdene sneared as I once again entered Hengorot, the ceremonial meadhall.

I had tired of the barbarians, and was in no mood for small talk with the treacherous false king, instead I tossed the enchanted mirror at the king and dared him, in front of all of his assembled men to gaze upon his reflection. The king caught the mirror in his giant fist, whilst watching me with a bemused expression on his face.

"I'll look into your vanity trinket necromancer, and I'll look upon a mighty king raised from the dead! The leader of a great new nation, and the conqueror of the ten tow....."

The king stopped suddenly mid speech, and touching his face as he gazed upon the reflection his rotting undead flesh, and human shell. He tried to continue with his speech, but his concentration was broken, and something has changed, his voice began taking on a more feminine tone, almost imperceptible at first, but quickly becoming more and more obvious.

The barbarians in the room began to look around at one another both nervous and very confused. Wylfedene shook with visible rage, and as his voice grew more feminine, so to did it also grow louder and louder, until it boomed out and shook the very room.

NOOOOO!?! WHAT HAVE I DONE? THIS HIDEOUS FORM DEFILES THE MAGESTY OF MY BEING! ENOUGH OF THIS..... TAKE BACK YOUR MIRROR ZUZHUL!"

Before anyone could react, a dimensional rift opened in the center of the tent, much like the vortice I had sealed in Dorns Deep. Too my utter surprise, out stepped the ghostly visage of the murdered Gloomfrost Seer!

In one final last act of defiance, the dead seer released a spell that tore the very soul from the false king, revealing the host creature in all her terrible glory, Icasaracht! The legendary white dragon who had been slain off the shores of Lac Dinneshere, by the hero Aihonen almost one hundred hears ago.

The ghostly spirit rose quickly fleeing the scene, but before I could give chase, all hell broke lose. Barbarians from the tribe of the wyrm suddenly became hostile, turning upon their cousins from the other tribes, obviously the tribe of the worm had been in league with the dragon all along. I would need to deal with them before I could figure out my next plan of action.

The wyrm tribe barbarians closed in on me fast, and I found my self hard pressed to defend meself. The tent was too confined to outrun the barbarians, and their relentless attacks prevented me from concentrating on my spells. Instead I reached deep into my pocket and pulled out a potion of invisibility.

The barbarians stood their dumbfounded for a moment, until both the bear and elk tribe took advantage of the confusion and rushed the unprepared barbarians. Safely out of sight I crept to the far end of the mead hall. I couldn't rely on my area of effect spells because inadvertently killing a friendly barbarian could turn the whole camp against me, and I doubted very much I could fight may way through every single barbarian.

Instead I began raising the slain barbarians as zombies and skeleton warriors, trapped between a triumvirate of the bear tribe, the elk tribe and their undead former brothers, the tribe of the wyrm were soon overrun.

Outside Hengorot, the battle was in full flow and the snows were beginning to turn red as barbarian brother slayed barbarian bother. I made my way through the camp pitting my undead warriors against any wyrm tribesman I encounted. As I approached the gated entrance to the camp, two unusually large barbarians descended upon me, my minions proved little help, falling swiftly to the mighty blows the two brothers.

Despite my magical protections, I was in trouble. A greatsword slashed open my stomach, and I could feel my life draining away as I fell to my knees. One of the barbarians slowly circled around behind me, sword raised and ready to deliver the deathblow, so this is how it ends?

All of a sudden my wound closed, and I felt a surge of vitality as my strength returned. Quickly I rolled away, and not a moment too soon as a split second later, I heard a greatsword strike the ground where I had just been kneeling. I quickly rose to my feet and turned around, behind the barbarians stood a familiar face, Hjollder had joined the fight!

The shamans eyes were rolled back into his head, and he was muttering some northern tongue I didn't recognize, a moment later he stopped and another wave of healing energies surged through my body. With the odds now even, I backed off drawing the barbarians away and signaling Hjollder to stand back. I muttered an incantation of my own, and a glowing skull materialized in my hands, crackling wildly with explosive energy.

The skull trap blew both barbarians to the ground, but neither was out of the fight ...yet. Before they could recover, I ordered in my remaining skeletons even as I summoned more! The barbarians were hacked to death where they laid. I turned to survey my surroundings, there were still small skirmishes being fought all around the base, but the bulk of the battle was now being waged in the center of the camp, if I could put an end to the wyrm tribes forces there, then the smaller groups would quickly fall soon after.

I marched to the main battle site, my skeletons dealing with any ambushes along the way. The fighting was so thick and brutal here that no one even noticed me descend upon the group, I walked right through the combatants and came to a stop once I had found the eye of the storm.

I began to focus my necromantic energies, letting them build up inside me. A few of the wyrm tribe had dispatched their adversaries, and noticed me, stood seemingly defenseless in the middle of the pack. I ignored them, continuing to harness the negative plane energy, the pressure build to an intense crescendo. The barbarians drew nearer, picking up speed and raising their weapons once when they realized that I was ignoring them. Almost ready....

Suddenly the barbarians broke into a full on sprint, charging in for the kill. I began to focus the accumulated energy into a fine point, and just as they were upon me I released it all suddenly in the form of a high pitched scream, a 'Wail of the Banshee'. All around camp, the barbarians both friendly and hostile dropped to their knees clutching their ears in total agony. The unfortunate souls who were standing too close to me, all fell down stone dead.

With the Wyrm tribes numbers decimated by the deadly wail, the remaining barbarians were quickly overrun. After the battle was finally waged, I returned to Hjollder.

The Shaman Hjollder, like most of the barbarians had lost track of where Icasaracht has fleeing too when the chaotic battle had broken out. However it is obvious that the dragon has been in league with the wyrm tribe since the very beginning, and he suspects that the dragon will have fled back to their lands on the sea of moving ice.

The barbarians are preparing a great ship to set sail after the dragon. I am going to return to Lonelywood to resupply, once the barbarians are ready I will join them in their pursuit of Icasaracht, and end this once and for all.
    trinitmoody_mageJuliusBorisovSkatan
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Dual classing to a cleric wouldn't be bad if you did it at the beginning of HoW as there is 1-2 million xp available without fighting if you do it right (potions of invisibility etc).
    GenryuJuliusBorisov
    Yeah I've had some crazy XP in HOW jumped from 18-30 in a very short time, (Though I bumped the difficulty up to insane so have benefitted from double xp).

If I do another IWD solo run, I'll know better next time.
    trinitmoody_mageJuliusBorisov
    Have a busy couple of weeks ahead of me, playthrough is on hold for the time being. Will return to it ASAP.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    :(
    edited June 2015
    27 Mirtul 1282

I returned to Lonelywood and made my way to the Whistling Gallows Inn, planning to relax and regain my strength whilst I waited for Hjollder and the Barbarians tribes to prepare their great narrow boats ready for the voyage to pursue the frost dragon matriarch.

My plans for rest and recovery were short lived however, as I approached the Inn, some kind of portal opened up in front of me and out stepped a mage of no small power. A moment later several heavily armed individuals also stepped through, a couple of armored warriors, an assassin, a priestess and a second mage.

The mage who had first stepped through portal introduced himself as Vaarglan, and claimed he was here to visit an old friend. I didn't recognise the name he had used, but I certainly recognized the description, he was referring to Kieran the Innkeep. I thought back to Kierans story of his desertion from the Host Tower of the Arcane, and then looked at the extremely well armed party, these guys meant business they were certainly not here to reacquaint with an old friend.

If this was indeed the clean up party sent by the tower to track down Kieran, then telling them his location could prove fatal, the host tower don't leave witnesses, and I'd likely find a dagger in my back the moment they had the information they wanted. Instead I looked each member of the group in the eye one by one and then chuckled to myself.

The groups 'muscle' all advanced, trying to surround me, trying to intimidate me into talking, Ha! The fools had placed themselves right where I wanted them. With my newly acquired pendent 'Kossuth's Blood' augmenting my casting speed, I conjured a skull trap into my hand before the group could even react. Only the mage, Vaarglan had managed to foresee my intentions, and had raised a minor globe of invulnerability just in time. Everyone else was hit by the powerful explosion, the priestess and second mage were killed instantly, whilst the rest were all badly wounded.

With the group disorientated by my surprise attack, I was able to quickly sprint away, tossing a second skulltrap at the group in the process and killing another of the fighters. I kept running until I made it to Thom Farold's cabin and then began to prepare my next spell whilst the Host Tower mage and his bounty hunters regrouped. A moment later the Assassin and the last remaining warrior came charging into view.

Once again the fools ran into a trap, whilst I had waited for them to catch me, I had prepared a Soul Eater spell. The warrior fell down dead, and the assassin whilst visibly shocked at first soon regained his composure once he had realised that no only had he had escaped my spell unscathed, but I was now stood here seemingly defenseless.

He smirked and slowly advanced, whilst waving his dagger menacingly, totally unaware that my Soul Eater spell was not fully over, his confident advance soon turned to a terrified scream when his dead ally suddenly rose from the floor and began advancing after him!

Not willing to lose the initiative, I began an animate dead spell, calling more skeletons to my side and overwhelming the lone assassin.

His lackies were defeated, but where was Vaarglan? I cautiously made my way back to the Whistling Gallows, it didn't take long to spot the mage, his shimmering Globe of Invulnerability gave his position away a mile off. I ordered my skeletons in to distract him whilst I considered my options.

The mage dropped several of my skeletons with a well timed lightning bolt, and the remaining undead were having a head time breaking through his defenses. It was time to go all out, lets see if his globe can withstand the mightiest of my spells. I began casting once more, just as another skeleton was blown to pieces by the mage. Vaarlan's Globe flickered suddenly and then vanished under the highly concentrated magical energies of my Wilting Horror spell, he dropped to his knees, trying to gasp for air and then he too collapsed quite dead.

It turned out to be my lucky day, the treasures possessed by the group were powerful indeed! Among the items I decided to keep, was a Staff of Besieging, that allows me to cast both the dispel magic spell, and lower resistance, if I encounter any more Drow in Dorns Deep then this will be a god send. I also found a Barrier Amulet, allowing me to simultaneously cast two very potent defensive spells, Stoneskin and Lesser globe of Invulnerability.

With my new toys buried away into my pack I retired to my room for the night.

trinitmoody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2015
    30 Mirtul 1282

A messenger from the Elk tribe arrived today, the boats have been built and they are ready for the voyage to the Sea of Moving Ice. As I made my way through the town of Lonelywood for the final time, a high pitched scream caught my attention, and then silence...

The scream had come from the mayors house. Tired of surprises I decided to investigate the disturbance before I left. I found the mayors wife first ...dead in her study.

The kill was fresh, within the last few minutes, her killer was still here somewhere, but who? Mayor Thurlow? I crept up the stairs, and slowly ...quietly opened the door to the mayors office. Once again I was greeted by a corpse, this time the mayor himself. I walked over to investigate, his throat had been cut from behind.

BANG! I jumped as the door behind me slammed shut, I spun around and found my self face to face with the brain addled gravedigger Purvis, though it was quickly dawning on me that his mental health problems were just an assassins deception.

Purvis, big headed and confident that I would soon be dead was happy to explain who he was. The Assassin had been hired by the Mayor of Targos to assassinate the Wylfdene, and had been biding his time waiting for the right time to strike. However, after I defeated Wylfdene, Purvis realized he would lose his pay day unless he eliminated me, and all other witnesses.

Before I could drain the soul from his body, the assassin made a break for the window, warning that he would strike when I least expected it, and with a single leap he was gone. Not willing to take chances with an assassin stalking me, I conjured up my magical Spirit Armour, prepared a Trollish Fortitude spell and then used my new amulet to apply a stoneskin spell.

I didn't have to wait long for the assassin to live up to his promise. As soon as I left through the front door, came at me, undetected from behind. His struck forcefully and found my back, however my magical defenses proved stronger, deflecting the blade harmlessly.

I released my most deadly spells upon the assassin, three back to back energy drain spells, crippling his power significantly. Whilst he was weakened I summoned a skeletal hoard, the assassin was not so confident now, glancing around desperately looking for a path of escape, but he was surrounded, and then he was dead...

trinitmoody_mageJuliusBorisovSkatan
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i'm lurking the whole time, following carefully every new post. congrats on one of the most interesting playthroughs of bg1, bg2 and/or iwd i have had pleasure of reading. great job!
    GenryuJuliusBorisov
    Thanks Trinit!

I should be free to invest a little more time into updates from the end of this week. Sorry things have slowed down so much as of late.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2015
    14 Kythorn 1282

Battling through the elements, the voyage was a treacherous one. Most of our fleet was either sunk by the many hidden iceburgs, or smashed to pieces by huge waves during the immense thunder storms, it was as if the bitch queen Umberlee and the stormlord Talos both conspired to keep us from our destination.

The barbarians were a hardy and fearless folk however, and despite the huge loss of life, they stayed on course, and somehow we made it to the territories of the Wyrm Clan.

15 Kythorn 1282

I left the barbarians behind at first light, they had served their purpose and would only slow me down from here on out. The voyage had proven to be but the first of my trials, the whole island was swarming with ice trolls, literally hundreds of the foul creatures. Icasaracht and the tribe of the Wyrm had chosen their camp well, ordinarily it would have taken an army to break through so many trolls, fortunately I am far from ordinary.

18 Kythorn 1282

I have made great progress fighting through the trollish hoard. My skeletons, both dead and lifeless are completely immune to the effects of my powerful Wilting Horror spell. The stupid single minded trolls will predictably swarm my undead minions every time without fail, making them extremely vulnerable to the spell. A wail of the Banshee spell can then be used safely on the downed trolls, ensuring that the regenerating creatures stay down for good.

I have fought my way to the entrance of some ancient temple, almost completely buried under the snow. I'd bet a gold coin that this is where I'll find the Wyrm tribe and their undead leader.

19 Kythorn 1282

The temple entrance did not lead directly to the temple nor the wyrm tribe, but to a series of ice caves, and the source of the trollish infestation. I was set upon by the creatures the moment I entered, and didn't have time to summon my minions. Some nimble footwork, thanks to my boots of speed and a few well placed skull traps decimated the trolls numbers, allowing me to enough time to release a number of wail of the banshee spells, ending their threat permanently.

Once the initial threat was eliminated, I took some time to summon my minions, and then proceeded to exterminate the troll nest.

20 Kythorn 1282

Icasaracht had certainly been busy preparing her defenses these last couple of weeks. I almost burst out laughing when I first stumbled upon the 'welcome party' she had left waiting for me in the ice caves, an entire army of cold enchanted skeletons! Each one significantly stronger and tougher than any of the undead at my disposal.

With my mastery of the control undead spell, each group that ambushed me was dominated, Icasaracht's necromancy was bent to my will, and before long each and every one of her powerful skeletons had been forced into my service. I'll have to 'thank' the dragon for this most precious gift the next time we meet.

With my new strike force in tow, Icasaracht's next line of defence, a hoard of wyverns proved to be no challenge, with the wyrmlings falling quickly to the blades of my frost augmented skeleton warriors.

Towards the end of the cave, I stumbled upon the corpse of an ancient dragon, infinitely bigger than any I had encountered before, who or what could have brought down such an immense creature? If I had more time available, I'd perhaps contemplate trying to animate the huge corpse, who could stand in my way with such a monster under my control? But alas, such a mammoth undertaking could take weeks if not months to complete, time I sadly don't have.

Eventually I reached the end of the cave system, and the entrance to the temple true. Guarding the temple was a lone Sahaguin priest, its been a while since I last encountered the shark people, and encounter that didn't end peacefully if I recall.

The priest was not hostile, and confirmed my suspicions that Icasaracht was waiting for me somewhere in the next area. We spoke for a while, and I probed the priest about the dragons defenses, apparently I should expect to fight through Sahaguin, and elemental water kin. I rested up, and prepared my self for the final confrontation.
    Post edited by Genryu on
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2015
    22 Kythorn 1282

As I entered the actual temple, I was ambushed by a number of Sahaguin priests, and some kind of strange aquatic Umberhulk like creature, called a Vodyanoi. A quickly cast skull trap eliminated the priests before they could finish casting their own spells, and the Vodyanoi were picked apart soon afterward. With the entrance hall cleared, I summoned some skeletal allies and proceeded deeper into the temple.

I was set upon from multiple directions as I approached the central area of the temple, Sahaguin, Water Elementals, Vodyanoi and Ice Golems all rushed to engage with me. My undead met the approaching hoard half way, blocking their advancement and allowing me to bombard them with spells from a safe distance.

Each enemy being an aquatic creature, was exceptionally more vulnerable to my wilting horror spells, taking devastating damage and dying in droves. Between her skeleton's in the previous area, and her water based allies here in the temple, Icasaracht had not chosen her allies wisely when preparing her defenses against me, this filled me with great confidence when I thought of our final encounter.

With the temple now clear, and only Icasaracht still remaining, I returned to the priest of Sekolah in the ice caverns to rest, and prepare my defenses. Rummaging through my potion case, I carefully removed 3 potions that I thought may prove useful, a bottle of Thrym extract to ward off the dragon matriarchs inevitable ice attacks, an oil of speed, and a potion of invisibility.

It has been many months now since I was stripped of my Bhaalspawn essence and powers, but through sheer force of will, I have clawed my way back from the brink, and now it was time to see just how far I had come. In my prime I could slay a dragon with but a single spell, Firkraag, Thaxll'ssillyia, Adalon and countless others all fell to my necromantic might. This battle with Icasaract will prove a true test for my growing powers, and serve to gauge my progress. Some time very soon, I will reclaim my Throne of Bhaal, and repay the treacherous Cyric for the indignities I have suffered...
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    After several failed attempts, I wussed out and dropped the difficulty back down to Core rules for the duration of the battle (The dragons breath instantly one shotted me everytime on insane difficulty, and that Thyrm extract doesn't last long at all!).

23 Kythorn 1282

I downed my oil of speed, followed by the bottle of Thrym extract, managing to successfully shrug off the negative effects, at least now I would not have to worry about the dragons deadly frost breath. I then cast my usual defenses, spirit armour and trollish fortitude. Finally I expended a charge from my barrier amulet, shielding myself in a protective stoneskin and a minor globe of invulnerability. I took a brief moment to compose myself, and then entered into the dragons lair.

The giant gates slammed shut behind me, magically sealed. A moment later the ground began to shake, as the great dragon matriach came around the corner and revealed her self in all her terrible glory, but not as a decaying dead thing as I had expected, but as a living, breathing and very much healthy dragon!

Like most of her kind, the dragon was proud, over confident and loved the sound of her own voice. She revealed that long ago, she resorted to the dark arts to strip the souls from her own children, souls that were then used in a ritual that would allow the dragon to resurrect herself if she were ever slain.

She yammered on about the injustices she had suffered at the hands of the Ten Towns, but by this point I had lost interest and was keeping her talking only in the hopes buying enough time to discern a weakness. I saw no chinks in the dragons armor however, and we soon ran out of things to say.

I chugged down a potion of invisibility, hoping to sneak off to a hiding spot that could be used to lay a trap for the beast. No such luck however, the dragon possessed somekind of natural truesight, seeing right through my illusion. The dragon opened up the combat with an immense blast of her icy breath, my Thrym extract protected me, but I could already feel its effects starting to wear off.

The combination of my boots and oil of speed, allowed me to quickly put some distance between myself and Icasaracht, but in the distance I could see her closing in fast, and she was not alone. Many high ranking Sahaguin followed the frost dragon, including several priests. If I was to have any chance against the dragon, I'd have to eliminate the Sahaguin first, the last thing I needed were priests of Sekolah healing the mighty dragon.

I began casting a wilting horror spell, which went off just as the group came into range. Several of the Sahaguin ran right into the spell, which caused no end of agony for the sharkmen, one of the priests fell down dead on the spot. However I could see more Sahaguin incoming, and the dragon seemed unphased by my attack. Suddenly the great dragon began flapping her wings violently, great gusts of wind almost knocking me off my feet, soon a small tornado formed, and worse still it was enchanted with magic and had locked onto my very being, chasing me around the battlefield relentlessly.

My enchanted movement speed was more than enough to outpace the magical tornado, however I would become very vulnerable whenever I needed to stop and cast a spell. I quickly retreated to the opposite side of the dragons lair. Near the far end I came upon a large altar, protected by some kind of energy field, was this what was reviving Icasaracht from the dead?

I didn't have time to investigate the idol further, the Sahaguin were almost upon me. A second Wilting Horror spell would likely have finished the group of shark creatures off completely, however with the magical tornado quickly bearing down upon me, it was just too risky. Instead I opted for a much quicker spell, and conjured up a magical skulltrap, decimating four more of the creatures. I didn't have time to admire my handy work however, once again I had to put distance between myself and the raging tornado.

Suddenly an intense and bitter cold overcame me, I had been hit by a direct blast of the dragons ice breath. In the chaos of the battle I had failed to notice the effects of my protective Thrym extract had worn off. I stumbled away, my superior mobility once again saving my neck, whilst my trollish fortitude spell quickly kicked into action, repairing the frostbite damage.

A second skull trap spell eliminated a couple more of the Sahaguin, and actually managed to wound the mighty dragon! I almost had some breathing space now! If only that cursed tornado would disperse already....

My lucky shot that had managed to pierce the dragons defenses suddenly reminded of my new staff of besieging, and its ability to release the lower resistance spell. I waited until the dragon got within range again, and released a charge from my staff, greatly lowering the dragons natural magic resistance. Hopefully now, I wouldn't have to rely on luck to punch through the dragons magical defense.

One more skull trap spell, and the remaining Sahaguin were blown apart. Now it was just me, and a wounded Icasaracht, I liked those odds...

I consumed my final vial of Thrym extract, unwilling to take any more chances with my deadly adversary. Unlike the last vial however, I was unable to shrug off the negative effects this time, and it was like drinking molten lava, the liquid scalded my throat all the way down, and I felt like I was going to combust there and then. The pain was almost crippling, but with an enraged dragon, quickly baring down upon me, I had no choice but to grit my teeth and force my self step by step onwards.

Slowly the pain began to subside, and my strength began to return as my regeneration spell once again took over. The fight was beginning to take its toll on the mighty Icasaracht, her body was riddled with open wounds and burns from my barrage of skull traps, however she was far from finished. I summoned forth yet another skulltrap, praying that I would had enough spells memorised to finish the job, the resulting explosion sent the dragon into a frenzy, once again buffeting her enormous wings and summoning a second tornado.

This was getting dangerous, with two whirling tornadoes now locked onto me, I had much less room to maneuver. If just once of them caught me, then the battle would be over, I'd be pinned to the spot and a sitting duck for the dragon to toy with. Slowly they backed me against the wall, with nowhere else to turn I charged full speed ahead and sprinted between the magical gusts of wind. They began to converge as I approached, and if I hadn't consumed an oil of speed before the battle I'd most surely have been caught between them then, but I managed to burst through the small gap, just in time.

On the opposite side of the whirlwinds, Icasaracht stood waiting for me, but once again I was too fast, deftly circumventing the dragon and running once again to the far side of the lair. She managed to hit me once again with her frost breath, but this time my protections were once again in place, and the attack had no effect.

I launched skull trap after skull trap at the monstrous beast, until finally I was down to my last spell. As badly wounded as she was, I just knew it would not be enough. I dejectedly threw the final trap at the dragon, but to no effect, she was still standing tall. I glanced over to the ever advancing whirlwinds and knew I'd have to take a risk if I were to finally defeat the dragon.

I quickly sprinted to the opposite side of the room once again, and called upon my wilting horror spell. By the time I was halfway through my casting, the two tornados had already covered half of the distance to my new position, this was going to be close....

I tried not to think about my impending doom, focusing everything into my spell. I closed my eyes and continued chanting, I could feel the wind picking up, blasting me in my face, they must be extremely close now, just a little longer....

My spell finally went off, and I heard the dragon howl in pain. I opened my eyes just in time to see the two whirlwinds converge barely several feet from my position, as quickly as I could, I once again retreated, stopping only long enough to recast my trollish fortitude spell.

The dragon was stumbling around her lair now, she was critically injured and wouldn't be able to take much more punishment. However, I pressed my luck casting my last wilting horror spell, there was no guarantee I would escape the tornados a second time. Instead I reached into my robes and pulled out a wand of lightning I had found earlier on in the temple.

I released a bolt of lightning from the wand, just as she released another blast of frost breath. Once again I was overwhelmed by the bitter cold, my darned thrym extract had worn off yet again. We both reeled away from each others attack in pain, yet both of us still refused to roll over and die.

Things were beginning to get desperate, the battle had been raging for so long now, that all my magical defenses had wore off, and with the tornadoes still relentlessly chasing me around the lair, I would be hard pressed to recast them, surely the dragon cannot take anymore punishment?

Despite looking like she would could keel over and die any moment, the dragon stood up tall and proud and once again began buffeting her wings, summoning another tornado....

The three tornadoes all closed in simultaneously, I was trapped with nowhere to run, it was sink or swim time. I raised my wand one final time, and took careful aim. The tornadoes drew closer and closer, but I had to make this shot count, I had to wait for the perfect moment. Icasaracht, knowing I was trapped stopped in her tracks, her eyes closed and her head raised upwards and backwards as she took a deep breath, she was preparing to blast me once again, this was my chance!

With the dragons gaze averted momentarily, I quickly redirected my aim, and fired! Unbelievably fast, the thunderbolt streaked through the air, hitting the dragon square in the face. There was a brilliant flash of light and Icasaracht trembled uncontrollably for a moment, suddenly there was a loud popping noise, followed by a small plume of smoke escaping from both the dragons ears and mouth. The dragon then keeled over, hitting the ground so forcefully that the very room shook.

The battle was not over yet however, the idol at the rear of the room, suddenly whirred to life which couldn't be a good sign. If the dragon was resurrected again, I'd be in no condition for round two...

I opened fire upon the idol, but my spells had little effect, it was protected from magic and my staff of besieging had already consumed its daily charge of lower resistance, instead I used its charge of dispel magic hoping to dispel the barrier, but once again my attack proved fruitless.

The idol sensing it was in peril began releasing a series of spells upon me. I kept moving, constantly trying to out pace the offensive magic's, quickly running out of options, I pulled out staff and charged the idol, it worked! My enchanted weapon sailed right through the magical barrier and hit the idol hard, I just needed to keep up the momentum going.....

I swung my staff like a man possessed, knowing full well what would happen if I failed to destroy it before the dragon was resurrected. My arms were numb from the effort, but bit by bit, and piece by piece the idol began to crack and chip away, and then finally the statue crumbled into nothingness, it was finally over.....

moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    12 Flamerule 1282

Its been several months since my 'brief' supply run to the town of Lonelywood had turned into a full fledged adventure. But I am finally back on my hunt for the five remaining lieutenants and their badges. My search had previously taken me to the region known as Wyrm's Tooth, where I believed the Frost Giant lieutenant Joril resided.

I could see the familiar ice structure in the distance, some kind of temple or palace that I had spotted on my last visit, and I could also see the trolls who had previously run me from the area, prowling around the terrain totally oblivious of my presence.

My pack was filled with fiery oils, as well as flame enchanted darts and bullets this time around, however my arcane powers have grown so quickly these past couple of months it is unlikely I will need them.

13 Flamerule 1282

As suspected, the regions trollish infestation proved to be nothing more than a minor nuisance this time around. Skull Trap and Wilting Horror spells easily dropped my opponents to the ground, whilst my Beltyn's Burning Blood, and death magics put a final end to the downed creatures, preventing them from regenerating.

As I neared the huge crystaline ice structure, I passed an old rickety bridge, it was in a sorry state of repair, and there was no way that it would take my weight in its current state. I suspected that I would need to cross it at some point in the near future, but I would have to repair or reinforce it first.

14 Flamerule 1282

I have made it to the ice structure, and it is neither a palace, nor a temple, but some kind of sea life museum. A very odd spot indeed to build such a place. The museum has crawling with Salamanders, trolls and winter wolves, and the corpses of countless dead humans lay frozen and preserved in the icy conditions.

I expected to face a brutal battle with the creatures, and so was surprised when a Salamander sentry informed me that Kerish, their leader had been expecting me.

It turned out that Kerish had mistaken me for an agent of his superior, and gave me free reign of the facility. There were roughly one hundred potential enemies give or take in the museum, and so I decided not to correct the Salamander chief on his case of mistaken identity.

Before I left, the Salamander requested my aid. The dead corpses that littered the museum were former slaves who had revolted, those who had successfully escaped were now cornered in the basement, but due to the facilities malfunctioning heating system, it was too warm for the heat sensitive frost creatures to pursue them. Kerish wants me to earn their trust, discover their leader and then crush him, so that the remaining slaves fall back in line.

I have agreed to his request, failing to do so may have blown my cover and I'd much rather deal with a few unarmed and puny slaves than an army of Salamander.

Exploring the upper levels of the museum further, I met a rogue named Vera who was trying to hide from the Salamander. She was obviously one of the escaped slaves, but she was reluctant to share anymore information with me, instead begging me to keep her hiding spot a secret. Vera can keep her secret for now, as I may still have use for her.

Down in the basement I finally discovered the escaped slaves, and they were more than a little surprised to see me. Their elected spokesperson Gareth filled me in on the details of their escape, and subsequent entrapment down in the basement. To earn their trust I have 'agreed' to help them escape, by securing the key to the surface. He has told me that their leader 'Vera' may be of assistance if I can find her, well I now have a name!

As I was leaving, one of the slaves, Soth was reading a book that caught my attention. It was a book on dwarven engineering, specifically the construction and maintenance of bridges. I relieved the slave of his reading material, this could be just what I need to make the bridge outside safe to cross.

I returned to where I previously encountered Vera. I had promised her that I would keep her location a secret, but I made no promises that I wouldn't kill her myself. Before she had time to react, I hit her square on with a skull trap, the rogue was totally unprepared for the massive blast, and stood no chance. Kerish was pleased with my handiwork, requesting one last favour. To kill the escaped slaves to a man, and set an example for any other would be revolters. Well I do so hate leaving loose ends....

I returned to the basement, unleashing a soul eater spell upon the terrified crowd. The dark magics killed several of the slaves, raising them up as undead under my control, the slaves did not stand a chance against their former comrades.

Kerish pleased with my work, informed me that the frost giant I sought could be found over the rotten bridge. With the repair manual in hand I set off in pursuit of my target.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    13 Flamerule 1282

Using makeshift materials that I had found in the basement of the museum, and following the instructions set out in my newly acquired manual, I soon had the bridge fit for service once more. Kerish had not lied, giant footprints leading in and out of the large cave indicated a high traffic of giantkin in the area, my nemesis was surely inside.

I wandered through the large cave complex, and Jorils guard barely paid me any heed, its obvious that they don't consider me a threat, and that will soon be their folly.

I found Joril in his throne room, surrounded by his personal guard of frost giant warriors. Much like Kerish, Joril mistook me for an agent of his master, though unlike the Salamander, the giant didn't seem scared at the mention of his superior, and my still faceless adversary.

Joril revealed quite proudly, that he had murdered his father in a show of might, to gain the leadership of the clan. He also revealed that his fathers badge of office, was now his and that it would grant him an audience with his superior so that he could crush him too.

Unfortunately for Joril, that privilege aswell as his badge were mine to take, he just didn't know it yet. The giant so full of himself, that he didn't notice me muttering an incantation under my breath until it was too late. His throne was clouded in the thick noxious fumes of my wilting horror spell, and the giant king fell down to his knees mid speech, gasping for breath. His guard could only watch in horror as the life drained from their kings face, they had failed in their sacred duty, and now they wouldn't rest until vengeance was theirs.

The enraged guard rushed in, intent on crushing me, but my undead blocked their path. I backed off towards the throne to survey they battlefield. The spell had proven so effective against their king, that I called upon it once again. The devastating spell killed two more of the giants, and left the remainders barely able to stand. One more wilting horror spell, and the room fell silent once more.

I quickly rummaged through the kings clothing until I discovered the badge. That was now two out of the six in my possession, if the word of Saablic Tan is to believed, I will find the remaining Lieutenants in the lowest depths of Dorns Deep. It was time to return to the ancient dwarven city, and end this faceless threat once and for all.
    Post edited by Genryu on
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015

CHAPTER 6 - Lower Dorn's Deep

15 Flamerule 1281

I had finally made it down to the lower depths of the ancient dwarven city, but it was far from abandoned, and production was very much active and in full flow. The sound of pick axes working the stone, and of hammers striking anvils rung out all around me, the noise was broken only occasionally by the sound of a whip cracking and a yelp of pain.

I scanned the horizon, the complex was immense, branching off in several directions each heading to the many different districts of the city. It wasn't the dwarves who were hard at work nowadays however, around me deep gnome slaves were being beaten and abused by their salamander task masters, many of whom had had their tongues cut out, or had been hobbled to prevent escape.

Before I could advance further into the complex, I felt the familiar tingle of negative plane energy. Something undead was fast approaching....

I heard him before I saw him, plate armoured metal greaves clinking against the stone floor with each footfall. In front of me, slowly coming into view, a heavily armoured skeletal knight was slowly climbing the steep stair case.

The skeletal knight was once a paladin of Torm named Durdel Anatha, however he was now bound in undeath to Harken, a powerful priest in the area, a priest who now knew I was here and didn't want me to leave alive...

The former paladin tried to resist at first, but the priests will was too strong, Durdel swung his massive sword in a wide arc, intent on taking my head from my shoulders, I ducked just in time, and retaliated by smashing a skull trap into the paladins rib cage.

Pieces of armour and bone were scattered along the floor, but Durdel continued to advance unphased. I released another trap and yet more pieces of the paladin were scattered about the hallway. Whoever this brother Harken is, his necromancy is formidable to hold his servant together under such an onslaught.

Our battle had not gone unnoticed, drawn by the sound of my exploding skull traps, several fire salamanders slithered over to investigate, and were soon followed by a handful of armoured skeletons, things quickly became chaotic...

The time for a careful strategy was over, more reinforcements were pouring in by the second. I went berserk, throwing skull trap after skull trap at the advancing hoard. The great hall shook under the force of countless explosions, and I feared I may bring the whole mountain down on our heads. But with each assault, the enemy numbers shrunk, and eventually I stood victorious.

Curiously, despite being blown into countless pieces, I could still sense strong negative plane energy coming from the Paladin, the pitiful soul squirmed upon the floor, but with no arms or legs I was confident he no longer posed a threat.

16 Flamerule 1281

I should never have been so over confident! Durdel Anatha was far from defeated, and almost gutted me in my sleep.

After the intense battle I had set up a camp, to rest and recover my arcane energies. Whilst I slept, the paladins broken body slowly reformed, that's why I could still sense the negative plane energy. If the large bell hadn't rung out from the guard tower in the distance I would never have awoken.

I managed to roll away just as the creatures great sword struck the floor where my head had been resting.

"So long as I cannot rest, you shall not rest!"

Durdel came at me once again, but this time with the nearby sentries already dead, dispatching the tiresome knight proved a much simpler affair. Once again, despite appearing defeated I could sense the negative plane energy already at work, trying to piece the knight back together. If I am to defeat Durdel, then I would need to seek out and slay the priest Harken.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    16 Flamerule 1282

The area was just too large to stumble around blindly, so I decided that my first port of call should be the bell tower that had woken me from my slumber earlier on. From the top of the tower I could get a birds eye view of the city and properly survey my surroundings.

As I made my way to the tower, I passed through a crumbling residential area. Most of the homes were boarded up, locked or in an uninhabitable state of repair, however one building seemed serviceable and stood out from the rest.

Investigating the structure, I found my self in some kind of artisans workshop, all manner of delicate tools and crafting instruments adorned the shelves and tables. A pitiful Svirfneblin dragged him self along the floor on his powerful arms, dragging a pair of limp crippled legs behind him as he moved. The deep gnome, pulled himself up on to a small stool, and then turned to face me.

"I assume you have brought me more Topaz's to cut, set them down on the table and then leave me to my work"

The gnome initially mistook me for one of his captors, but soon realised his mistake. The svirfneblin, named Norl relished the opportunity to dish the dirt on his masters, and proved to be a font of valueable information. His master (who I now believe to be one of the lieutenants I seek) is a man called Marketh, who has taken over the former royal palace of the dwarf king Dorn. Norl's face instinctively turned to a scowl, and a frightening fire burned in his eyes whenever he muttered his slavemasters name, looking down at the gnomes hobbled legs, I suspect I knew why.

In addition to the whereabouts of Marketh, I also finally learned the name of the lieutenants ringleader, and the cause of all the Icewind Dales problems! Revered brother Polquin, a wandering priest of Illmater, or at least that's the cover he has been using.

I made it to the bell tower soon after leaving Norl's house. An arrow whistled past my head, narrowly missing its target, but before I could react a second arrow struck me in the shoulder, followed by a third and a fourth. I pressed on quickly, as several hidden archers tried to take me down from the safety of their tower. I managed to reach the foot of the tower, but the great iron door was locked tight, and there was no way I could break through. I quickly retreated, running for cover and taking a few more arrows to the back for my efforts.

My head spun, and my vision blurred, I wanted to vomit, but I couldn't stop until I reached a safe distance. Once I was out of the deadly archers range, I began casting a trollish fortitude spell, and then one by one I pulled the arrows from my body. As I tore the last embedded arrow free, I slumped down against a wall, waiting for my regenerative spell to work its magic, it was then that I noticed the small child....

A young gnomish girl stood watching me, a basket of food in her hands and a large iron key hanging around her neck. It would seem that it is time for the guards to eat...

The girl was mute, her tongue had been cut out by her captors, but she knew what was best for her when I demanded the key. With their element of surprise now lost, I knew exactly what to expect, and protected myself with my magical spirit armor. Protected, and with the towers key in hand I charged the tower once more, reaching it unscathed, the key fit perfectly and within moments I was inside.

There were six skilled archers waiting for me as I burst into the lower level of the tower, all with a bead drawn on the entrance. However the tower was cramped and tightly confined, they all released their arrows as I launched my skulltrap. There was no escape from the blast, five of the archers were blown into multiple chunks, and the sixth was critically injured. A well connected blow to his temple with my staff and he too was out of commission.

The guards had a small bed room, on the midlevel of the tower. With the tower key in my possession I should be safe to rest here, and wouldn't have to worry about that skeletal Paladin skewering me in my sleep.

I climbed to the top of the tower and surveyed the city. I could see the Marketh's palace from up here, that would be my next destination. From my new vantage point I could also make out a large dome like structure built in the middle of some kind of residential district, I could make out the entrance to a large mine, a temple, and an enormous forge. With the area mapped out, I locked my self in the tower, and retired to one of the beds for the night.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    18 Flamerule 1282

As I approached the grounds of the great palace, I was stopped by a Halfling. He requested to see my paperwork, and when he realized that I was an intruder he scarpered away leaving me to deal with a handful of hidden assassins.

My protections held up, keeping me safe from the assassins attempted sneak attacks, unlike their defenses which proved useless against my deadly magics. Within moments my would be assassins lay dead at my feet, it was time to explore the palace, and relieve Marketh of his badge.

18 Flamerule 1282

Will that cursed Durdel Anatha ever give me peace? As I crossed the palace courtyard I was ambushed by the former Paladin once more. I crushed the fool yet again, but this is now growing tiresome, I hope I find the priest controlling him soon...

18 Flamerule 1282

The palace gardens had been set up with an impressive defense system to ward off intruders. Myconid Shriekers raised the alarm whenever they detected any movement nearby, summoning wave after wave of myconid defenders. My wilting horror spells easily dispatched the fungal creatures, but I would have to advance cautiously from now on, the noise from my brief battle no doubt alerted every guard and sentry in the palace to my presence.

In the center of the garden, a smashed and defaced statue of the dwarf king Dorn lay in pieces on the floor, a pair of svirfneblin slaves were hard at work sculpting a new statue in its place. They informed me that the new statue was of their captor Marketh, who was so full of him self had ordered the old statue destroyed, and replaced with his own visage. The gnomes gave me a portrait of their master, so that I could identify him when the time came, apparently it was drawn by one of Markeths bodyguard, a man named Flozem.

moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    18 Flamerule 1282

The palace, both ancient and decrepit had undergone a massive refurbishment, Marketh was sparing no expense as he renovated his palace of luxury. I soon discovered that my arrival had not gone unnoticed, countless eyes were watching me from the shadows, daggers drawn and waiting to strike.

I would have soon found one such dagger in my back, if my undead guardians had not intercepted the first stealthy assassin. Suddenly very alert to the danger I scanned the room for hidden adversaries, another assassin burst from the shadows, but this time I was ready. I surprised my would be attacker mid blade stroke, and froze him solid with a ghoul touch spell.

I dispatched the assassins quickly and then scanned the room, I couldn't see them, but I knew there were definitely more hidden blades waiting in the shadows for the right moment to ambush me. I applied my magical defenses, and cautiously pressed on.

I was ambushed several times as I explored the lower level of the palace, but none of my adversaries proved any real challenge. In one of the downstairs bedrooms, I discovered a battered and bruised drow female.

She was unlike any drow I had met before, afraid and unable to meet my gaze she was a far cry from the domineering and intimidating matron mothers and priestesses that I had encountered in Ust Natha. She was the sister of a powerful drow sorcerer named Malavon, and had been forced into Markeths servitude by her brother to act as his concubine.

It was apparent from the way she spoke about her brother, that he too was one of Brother Polquins lieutenants. I pressed her for information on Malavons whereabouts, and then I butchered the frail creature. If I learned one thing during my stay in the drow city of Ust Natha it was that the drow were devious, vicious and deceptively brilliant. It would not surprise me if her crocodile tears and sob story were an act to get me to lower my guard, I'll take no such chances where the drow are concerned.

18 Flamerule 1282

The upper levels of the palace were where things got interesting however. Tired of throwing their lives away attacking me one at a time, the Marketh's men now came at me in full force. A seemingly endless wave of skilled and well armed assassins began bursting from the shadows, and to make matters worse my old 'friend' Durdel Anatha had once again tracked me down.

The time for 'tact' was over, I began running through the maze like corridors, baiting the assassins out into the open to attack me. Many an assassins blade was deflected by my spirit armour, and before long I had almost two score of trained assassins, and an undead paladin chasing me around the complex.

With my enemies finally revealed to me, I resorted to my necromantic powers, blasting the pursuing congregation with my most powerful area effect spells. The hissing of my wilting horror spells was drowned out by the deafening explosions caused by my skull traps. Within moments Markeths defenses had been wiped out.

I found Marketh cowering in his bedroom, begging me to spare him. After witnessing the ease with which I took out his men, the would be lord of the manor had lost any and all desire of a battle. He gave up his badge without argument, and I agreed to spare him if he stripped down to his underwear and relinquished his weapons and armour to me.

I laughed as I gutted the cowardly fool, he was so much easier to murder without his equipment. I searched his room, and found little of interest, with the exception of a manual on the construction and controlling of golems, that belonged to the drow sorcerer Malavon. The book listed several command words, that could be used to control Malavons golems, I placed the manual in my pack, this could come in very handy indeed.

As I left I was ambushed by a number of mysterious mages, who were not in the slightest bit happy with what I had done to Marketh. I used my undead minions to tie up the mages, allowing me to blast them without interruption from a safe distance, one by one they fell under the power of my wilting horror spells.

With the palace purged of its inhabitants, it was time to hunt down the next of Polquins lieutenants, the sorcerer Malavon.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    20 Flamerule 1282

According to Ginafae, her brother Malavon resides in a huge dome that he has converted into a lab for his studies. That must be the same dome that I had spotted from the top of the guard tower, which if I am not mistaken is located within the artisan district.

21 Flamerule 1282

Durdel hounds me relentlessly at every turn, no matter how many times I strike him down he rises anew soon afterwards. I have defeated the Paladin yet again, but for how long this time? I swear to Bane that when I finally track down the priest responsible for this, he will suffer agonies worse than any I have inflicted before....

22 Flamerule 1282

I have found my way to the artisan district, and my undead have proven their worth yet again. The area is crawling with umber hulks, and my undead are my only defense against their brain addling confusion attacks. I am using my immune skeletons to scout ahead and lure any umber hulks out into the open, where I can safely blast them from afar.

23 Flamerule 1282

I have finally reached Malavons laboratory, and in doing so have discovered the source of the Umber hulk infestation, Malavon has been growing the creatures in glass tanks!

The laboratory was not all that big, and it didn't take long before I finally happened upon the mad drow. Between me and Malavon stood a wall of very scared looking svirfneblin slaves, the foolish mage obviously believed that by hiding behind a shield of innocents I would be reluctant to blast him, oh I can barely wait to prove him wrong...

More interesting than the drows obvious cowardice however, were the pair of enormous and very powerful looking Iron Golems that stood towering on either side of the drow sorcerer. I had to bite down on my lip to prevent myself from laughing and giving my surprise away. Malavon didn't know that I had his golem command manual, and that I had been studying it intently these last couple of days, the look on his face when his own golems turn upon him is going to be priceless!

As I suspected, Malavon tried to use his slaves as a bargaining chip, threatening to kill the lot if I didn't surrender to him. This time I couldn't help myself and burst out laughing uncontrollably, the fool actually thinks he has some power over me, that he holds an advantage! The drows brow furrowed and I could see his jaw clench as he trembled in silent rage, and I could see his hand slowly reaching down for, what is that? A wand?

Not willing to find out, I shouted out the command word "KALAM STAM!", the mage froze in horror momuntarily, wide eyed and with his jaw hung open as he realized what I had just done, he whirled around suddenly and glanced upwards just in time for an enormous iron boot to smash him into the floor.

However, rather than being greeted to the satisfying sound of crushing bones, I witnessed the mage, crack and then shatter like glass before being blinded by a brilliant light. CURSES! I just destroyed a simulacrum image, the real Malavon is very much alive ....somewhere.

I didn't have time to worry about the wizard now though, many of his pet umber hulks had burst in from the back room and between this new threat and the panicked svirfneblin, all hell had broken loose. The golems were magnificent however, ripping apart the hulks with ease and within a couple of minutes we had the situation back under control.

As the final hulk fell, a slow, mocking clap started from behind me, I turned around and there stood the real Malavon, he released some kind of contingency spell, which in turn triggered several magical protection spells. The battle mage, had taken his time to prepare and now he was powered up and very, very dangerous.

Before I could respond to the threat, he released some kind of burning cloud into the room, and then warped away, I staggered out of the room, my robes smouldering. I cast a regeneration spell on myself and then took hold of my staff of besieging, lets see just how well his protections hold up against my staffs dispel magic enchantment.

I could hear a battle breaking out back in the room where I'd found the umber hulk tanks, he must have warped into my skeletons! I quickly ran through the facility, and caught the mage easily picking off my skeletons, which had become entangled in his web spell. Wasting no time I raised my staff and released its dispel enchantment onto the drow.

Malavon's protection spells visibly melted away into nothingness, the drow was vulnerable again and he knew it. I began chanting, intent on finishing him off quickly, but the slippery bugger warped away. Then much to my delight I heard a scream of agony, he has warped himself into trouble once more!

I ran off in the direction of the scream, just in time to see the life being crushed from his body by one of his huge golems. Those warp spells are not all they are cracked upto be! With his magical protections dispelled, Malavon didn't last long against the iron giant, and with the fourth lieutenant defeated I claimed another of the six badges.

Searching through Malavons personal library after the battle proved extremely rewarding, as among other treasures I discovered two old scrolls I thought I would never see again, the Death spell, and the Finger of Death spell! I later returned to the bell tower to recover my strength memorize my new spells.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    25 Flamerule 1282

The trail had gone cold, and I had no clue as to the identities of the final two lieutenants. With no better options open to me I decided to begin my search with the deep gnomes, maybe they could help me. From my vantage point at the top of the tower, I could see a large amount of gnomish foot traffic going to and from the elevator to the northwest. Could that be where, the gnomes live?

26 Flamerule 1282

I rode the elevator down to the oubliette, and found myself in some large crystal mine. Sickly svirfneblin worked the stone constantly and without complaint. It didn't take long for me to learn the identity of the fifth lieutenant, after a good beating, one of the slaves Tarnelm, revealed the name Ilmadia, a crazed elvan maiden, who I would find in the great forge, I would get to her soon...

The mine was crawling with both umber hulks, and some kind of giant beetle. My finger of death spell eliminated each enemy quickly and efficiently, oh how I have missed this power!

26 Flamerule 1282

Fighting through the mine, I found my way to a svirfneblin settlement. The settlement its self was of little interest, but one of its inhabitants, a drow merchant named Nym was. Nym revealed him self to the catalyst behind war that wiped out both the Severed Hand, and Dorn's Deep, it was quite genious actually.

The Drow had been secretly stealing the enchanted weapons created by the dwarven/elvish alliance, and selling them on to the orcs. The alliance fell apart soon afterwards, both accusing the other of selling their enchanted equipment to their sworn enemy the orcs, who soon declared war on the splintered alliance. Nym's simple actions had effectively divided and conquered the alliance in one fell swoop, and in doing so had made him very rich, and also prevented a planned Dwarven invasion of his drow city, brilliant!

Browsing the merchants wares, I came upon an enchanted pair of gauntlets that greatly increased my defense, as well as a new spell, the deadly lich touch! With little else of interest to me in the gnomish city, I set of to find the elvan maiden Ilmadia.
    moody_mage
    edited July 2015
    28 Flamerule 1282

The heat was immense as I stepped into the great forge, I may as well have been stepping into a giant oven. Rivers of lava flowed through the great forge, and the sulphur fumes burned my eyes. I almost had a heart attack as I turned a corner and came face to face (Or should I say face to kneecap) with my old nemesis Yaga Shura, or at least that's what I initially thought, all these fire giants look the same to me.

After the untimely demises of her fellow lieutenants, Ilmadia had surrounded herself with fire giant guardians, and was taking no chances where her safety was concerned. I managed to bluff the stupid creature into believing I had business with the elf maiden, and he kindly gave me directions, well at least I wouldn't have to deal with the giants ....for now.

I found the elf in a small cabin to the south, guarded by a handful of drow and fire giants. We spoke for a while, Ilmadia had been put in charge of the giants after elementals had murdered their king. I quickly ascertained that the elf had no useful intel, and once she refused to hand over her badge it became apparent a show of force was called for.

The elf ordered her subordinates to crush me, and I wasted no time getting off a preemptive strike. My skull trap tore through the elves cabin, wounding her and destroying one of her drow guard in the process, the remaining drow, unaffected thanks to his native magic resistance, drew is sword and advanced.

I backed off, as my skeletons swarmed the cabin and the fire giants turned to pursue them. I closed my eyes and focused on my most powerful spell, moments later the cabin was filled with a deadly cloud, and the resulting screams were music to my ears as my wilting horror spell took effect.

More giants appeared, charging over the bridge and trying to crush me from behind. I ran back to the cabin, my spell had wounded, but not slowed my enemies down, and they had made short work of my skeletons. I was now alone and completely surrounded...

Backed into a corner, I summoned a skull trap, and threw it quickly at Ilmadia and the two wounded fire giants, the explosion tore through the group killing Ilmadia and one of her allies. I had successfully punched a hole through the group, but more giants were closing in, and I would soon find my self surrounded once again.

I retreated to one of the narrow bridges, to prevent my self from becoming encircled, and then prepared a second wilting horror spell. One of the giants fell, but many of the group appeared unphased by the attack. A giant hammer came out of nowhere and knocked the stuffing out of me, I backed away even further, and the group advanced relentlessly.

I had lost the advantage of the bridge, and I was quickly running out of room to back pedal, but I had a plan! A vial of purple liquid sloshed about in my hand as I retreated, and before I found my self backed against the stone wall. I uncorked the vial, and waited until the giants were almost upon me, and then 'POOF' I was gone!

The giants scratched their heads in confusion, I hastily made my way back to the bridge, and safely out of sight I began summoning a fresh wave of undead allies, whom I used to block access to the bridge. The giants, realizing that I had trapped them, charged my undead, desperate to smash through my defensive wall, but it was too late.

Trapped on the small island, the giants were sitting ducks to my awesome magics, and one by one I snuffed the life from the giants and remaining drow priest. After the battle I recovered the fifth badge, and returned to the my guard tower to plan my next move.

30 Flamerule 1282

I was still missing the final badge, and the only area I had not explored yet was the cities temple, surely I'll find the final lieutenant there? As I approached the forboding temple, I felt a familiar sensation, the whole place was tingling with negative plane energy, I was certain I would find the place crawling with undead, I spent the next few hour preparing my spell book, by swapping out my finger of death spells, in preference for spells of control undead.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    1 Elisias 1282

My fears had not been unfounded, and I was glad of my decision to alter my spell selection. The moment I entered the large temple, I was set upon by a large number of formidable boneguard, it didn't take long to bind the creatures under my control, and soon I had a powerful strike force at my disposal.

A short way into the temple and I finally came face to face with the elusive Brother Harken, oh how I had been looking forward to ending this ones miserable existence. He began to call for his favoured ally, the undead Paladin Durdel Anatha, but I had other ideas, sending my boneguard to rip the priest limb from limb.

Once the damnable priest lay in a pool of his own blood and guts, I made my way deeper in to the temple. Something was wrong however, my boneguard were breaking free of my control at an alarming rate, and I was quickly expending my spells just to stay in control, someone, or something somewhere wanted its minions back, and it would continue to fight me for control until I could slay it.

Deeper into the temple, I discovered another priest. I recognized the badge displayed proudly from this robes, this must be Polquin's final lieutenant.

I ordered my boneguard to attack once more, and even his protective magical globe was useless against the huge swarm of powerful boneguard, brother Perdiem was ripped apart much like Harken was, I claimed the final badge and then glanced around at my small army. Despite the ease with which I was butchering the priests, I was taking a massive risk. With every passing moment more and more of my boneguard were wrestled back from my control by an as of yet unseen necromancer.

I couldn't take the risk anymore, as there was now a very real danger that I would soon be swarmed and butchered by my own allies. I backed off to a safe distance as my bone guard began to turn on one another, and then released a volley of skull traps at the large group. Once the dust had settled, all that remained was a large pile of bones.

As I ventured deeper into the temple, I found several more priests, all of whom seemed to be under some kind of mind control spell. Taking no chances, I butchered each and every one of them. Soon the temple was almost clear, but I could sense a great and terrible necromantic power at the furthest end of the building.

I decided to retreat for now, and recover my energy. Whoever was wrestling control of my undead from me, was powerful indeed. I would need to rememorize my spells, and be at full strength before tackling that one.

2 Elisias 1282

I returned to the temple, early the following morning. The place was deadly quiet and stunk of death, I cautiously made my way to the rear of the temple. What could be generating so much negative plane energy? A lich? A demi lich? Or something more?

It was neither a lich, nor a demi lich that I discovered, but a heavily defended stone idol. Powerful Zombie and Mummy Lords rushed and quickly overpowered my own undead minions, whilst the idol began blasting them with devastating spells.

I managed to mentally dominate a couple of the idols allies, and soon the fight became a battle of willpower, with both of us vying to control the powerful undead creatures. I didn't relent, releasing a continuous stream of control undead magics on the group, whilst sending them to attack the idol.

Everytime the idol managed to impose its will on the undead, and regain control I focused my attention on another group, sending them to attack the dark idol. This back and forth battle went on for a small eternity, but slowly but surely the battle began to turn in my favour, with the statue beginning to chip and crumble under the weight of each blow.

With my control spells almost consumed, one of the greater mummies finally delivered the killing blow. The idol shattered under the forceful strike, releasing a shockwave of dark energy that disintegrated each and every undead creature it touched. A moment later and the room was once again silent.

Behind the former idol was a barred staircase, and along its base were a row of small indentations, each with a symbol that matched the symbols on my six badges. If the mage Saablic Tan is to be believed, then these badges unlock the way to my nemesis the Revered Brother Polquin, my quarry is up those stairs!

One by one, I inserted the badges into their respective slots, and as the last one clicked into place I was greeted to the sound of grating stonework, as the staircase opened up to me. I set up camp, and restructured my spell book, once again replacing the control undead spells for finger of death. Once I was at full strength I carefully made my way up the long staircase.
    moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    3 Elisias 1282

The stairs led to a tranquil cave, filled with a multitude of different animals ....and Polquin, my enemy revealed at long last.

Polquin was just as tedious and wordy as his enemy Yxunomei had been, blathering on incessantly about his ancient vendetta. I was just about ready to silence him by ramming a Skulltrap down his gullet, when a single word caught my attention and got me very, very excited, CRENSHINIBON! the crystal shard!

I was somewhat familiar with the Cryshal Tirith. In my time period a pathetic bumbling apprentice mage named Akar Kessel had brought all of the Ten Towns to their knees whilst wielding the awesome power bestowed by the artifact. If it wasn't for the efforts of the drow ranger Drizzt Do'Urden, and his halfling ally Regis, Kessel would have been successful in enslaving the entire northlands! If such a pathetic and weak mage could wreak such devastation with the shard, what kind of destruction could a power like me cause?

Polquin had been lured by the call of the sentient Crenshinibon, and its promises of power. Things were beginning to make sense, back in the Kuldahar Pass the orcs and ogres had been complaining of intense headaches and of hearing voices in their heads. Crenshinibon is known to invade the minds of lesser beings, enticing them into service with promises of power.

Crenshinibon was eventually destroyed in my time period, thanks to the priest Cadderly, the assassin Artemis Entreri, and the famed drow mercenary Jarlaxle. However I now had a chance to rewrite history, and claim the terrible artifact for my own nefarious goals, but first I would have to eliminate Polquin.....

Polquin began the battle by summoning a number of armoured skeleton warriors, I wasted no time in ordering my own minions forwards to attack. I backed off and released a wilting horror spell into the pack, the priest was badly affected by the deadly spell, coughing and spluttering he fell to his knees gripping his chest tightly.

Then I spotted it, Crenshinibon! hanging from the priests neck, the crystal shard began to pulsate and then glow brighter and brighter. The priest recovered almost instantly, I could just about see him rise to his feet through the blinding glare of the increasing brighter crystal shard. The room became a brilliant and blinding white, as a loud whistling noise rose to a high pitched crescendo.

Once the whistling had finally subsided, and the bright light had faded, I opened my eyes again, fully expecting a crazed Polquin to be bearing down upon me. But the priest was nowhere to be seen, in fact neither was the cave! I was no longer in Dorns Deep, but back in Easthaven! Where the temple of Tempus once stood, an immense and towering crystalline structure now took its place, one of the many powers of the shard.

moody_mageJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    3 Elisias 1282

Easthaven had been devastated, the buildings of the small village had been reduced to rubble and debris, or burnt out husks. Near the bridge, a large wooden pen had been built, and I could hear sobbing and wails of anguish coming from within, I think it is safe to say that the surviving villagers are imprisoned within.

I would need answers from the villagers before I could formulate a plan of action, but I didn't have chance to investigate the pen just yet, a large number of Cyclops were patrolling the former village in search of survivors, and it didn't take them long to notice me stood out all alone in the open. I'll have to clear the village before I can advance.

The large powerful creatures, despite their impressive stature were no match for my death magics, falling effortlessly to my finger of death spells. As I made my way through the village, I came upon a lone building that still stood, the 'winters cradle tavern', though that wasn't likely to last, already a cyclops stood at the entrance, trying to bash the door in.

With my reserves of deathspells expended, I set a hoard of undead upon the Cyclops, and called upon my lich touch spell, he soon fell under our relentless onslaught. Much like the rest of the town, the inside of the tavern had been devastated, stools and tables lay smashed and splintered, and my boots clung to the floor as I walked due to all the sticky mead and other spilt tankards that adorned the floor.

The tavern appeared deserted at first, but then I heard it, quiet at first but getting louder as I neared the trapdoor to the basement.

"OooOOOooooh! It’s of dear grog to you I’ll sing, *hic* And to dear grog I’ll always cling...."

I slowly opened the creaky trapdoor, and the singing became much louder.

"*hic* I like my cup filled to the brim, and I’ll drink all you’d like to bring....."

Is this fool trying to bring every Cyclops in Easthaven down upon his head?

"And it’s oh, dear grog, thou art my...... "

Old Jeb stopped singing suddenly as I came into view, he stared at me wide eyed and slack jawed as a tear ran down his cheek, suddenly with his arms outstretched wide open, he charged me, clumsily knocking over several barrels in the process before finally embracing me in an unbelievably strong bear hug.

"Hrothgar old buddy!?!, I just *hic* knew you were still alive!"

I fought my self free from his vice like grip, and then watched as his gormless, grinning face swayed from side to side. Then without warning he toppled over, crashing hard into the ground completely inebriated and unconscious.

Well that was certainly anticlimactic, and a waste of time....

I made my way back up the stairs, and left the tavern through the front door. I was confident I had dealt with all the Cyclops and so finally made my way to the slave pen.

I met the priest of Tempus, Everard, who was busily tending to the wounded in the pen. Everard revealed that brother Polquin was just a disguise worn by the demon Belhifet. And that his current goal is to reactivate the portal to the lower planes at Jerrods stone, time is short and if he succeeds there will be no stopping the mighty demon.

Everard showed me the sign that Belhifet's commanders had been using to gain access in and out of the tower, and told me he would catch up to me once he had dealt with the sick and dying villagers.

Using the hand gesture Everard had taught me, a great door opened up in the crystal tower, wasting no time I began to scale the enormous structure. Eventually happening upon a familiar face, Pomab! The rude stuck up merchant from the local emporium.

Something was different however, Pomab had power now, I could feel it, 'REAL' power. The pitiful merchant had obviously sold his soul to Crenshinibon, and he obviously meant for me to go no further. Good! I'll take great satisfaction in ending this ones existence.

Pomab ordered his four crystal sentries to attack me, and then through some kind of illusion spell, split himself into seven identical copies. The fool thinks that by hiding amongst his simulacrum images, he will be safe, my skull traps think differently.....

The Pomab clones all dispersed in multiple directions, each giggling like a little child. I launched my first skull trap, but the spells were absorbed harmlessly by the multitude of pomabs! The little bugger is protected from magic!

Pomab was well protected, but his crystal sentries were not however. I maintained my skull trap barrage, crippling the creatures one by one. They fell to the floor, but much like my old friend Durdel Anatha they began to reform almost immediately, this was going to be a long night....

With the sentries appearing invincible, and the pomabs all immune to my spells, I needed some effective fire power and soon, I rummaged through my pack and pulled out my stashed Belt of Ogre Blood. Clumsily wrapping the belt around my wait whilst trying to run from the sentries, I began to enact the belts enchantment, within moments five ogre berserker's materialized into the room.

I ordered my new allies to chase down the Pomab clones, and then proceeded to distract the crystal sentries. One by one the false Pomabs were struck down, until only one still remained. The real Pomab cornered by three hulking ogres, was quaking in the corner of the room, begging for his life. As a huge spiked club blasted the life from his frail body, the four crystal sentries crashed to the ground in unison.

[NOTE: I seem to have encountered a bug here, despite having no protection from electricity, the constant wave of lightning bolts did no damage to me what so ever. I don't know why, but it made the fight infinitely more easy.

4 Elisias 1282

The battle with Pomab had drained me, so I took a risk, I stationed some skeletal sentries and then retired to Pomabs personal chambers to rest. Fortunately I wasn't attacked, but I had wasted a lot of time, Belhifet was no doubt several steps closer unlocking the demonic portal, I would have to hurry.

On the uppermost level of the tower, I discovered Crenshinibon. The crystal was suspended in mid air, above a pedestal. Try as I might however, I just couldn't reach the crystal, a barely visible field of energy blocked my path protecting the sentient artifact.

On the northern wall was some kind of portal, I could make out Polquin on the otherside. With no other options, I stepped through the portal, vowing to return for the artifact once my business with Polquin was finished.

moody_mageJuliusBorisovSkatan
    edited July 2015
    The last update may take a while, this fight is proving tediously difficult, and sitting through the prefight cut scene for the twenty something time is getting tiresome.

◾Belhifet has proven completely immune to all my spells so far, even the lower resistance spell from my staff of besieging gets resisted.
    ◾I cant go toe to toe with the enemies, the Cornugon and Golems chunk me within seconds, which means I cant safely cast any spell with a mid to long casting time.
    ◾Kiting is proving ineffective, the arena is riddled with traps that don't just hurt, they dispel all my buffs!
    ◾The golems cloudkill spam kills any and all summoned creatures instantly.

I'm quickly running out of ideas, any suggestions? At this rate I'll be forced into a boring slingshot hit and run battle that will take me hours lol.

EDIT: Nope a sling hit and run wont work, Belhifet can only be hurt with weapons of a +3 enchantment or higher, and sadly I only have +2 bullets. With my playthrough restrictions, I honestly don't think winning the battle is possible short of dropping the difficulty down to story mode. :neutral:
    Post edited by Genryu on
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
    edited July 2015
    Bone darts seem to be somewhat effective against Belhifet (when I can actually land them), and I believe I have finally nailed down a workable strategy, though its going to be slow and tedious.

EDIT:

A greatly lowered difficulty level (Easy mode...)
    24 Healing potions (4 healing, 9 extra healing, 11 elixers of health)
    16 animate dead spells
    7 bone dart spells
    8 skull traps
    god knows only knows many haste and power potions
    and a lot of poor quality meleeing (or whiffing) later and the demon has finally fallen.

Write up to follow soon, that was brutal....
    Post edited by Genryu on
    JuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    4 Elisias 1282

I was too late, Polquin had already succeeded in opening up the portal. I arrived just in time to witness the first wave of powerful cornugon step through the interplanar gateway.

But all was not lost, Everard had followed me through the tower and finally caught up. Understanding what an open gateway to the lower plains meant for the ten towns, Everard took a page from Jerrods book and charged the portal, sacrificing his life to reseal the planar gate.

Polquin, enraged by the priests actions revealed him self in all his terrible glory as the demon Belhifet. The demon had already opened the portal once, and I was positive he could do so again, but Everard had bought me some time at least, and I refused to waste it.

Two enormous Iron Golems appeared from the shadows, whilst Belhifet and his Cornugon allies both advanced with deadly purpose. This was going to be a challenge....

I wouldn't be able to safely deal with Belhifet until his potent allies had been taken care off, backing off from the advancing group I began laying down a barrage of skull trap spells. It quickly became apparent that both Belhifet and his Golems were completely immune to my magics. The cornugon however, despite some measure of magic resistance 'were' taking damage.

The golems both began releasing deadly clouds of toxic mist, and as I tried my best to avoid them I inadvertently triggered countless traps, arrows of dispelling sailed through the air both wounding me and stripping my defenses away. Still the group, hounded my every move.

I had to think their numbers quickly, and so continued to focus my efforts of the weakest links, the Cornugon. I launched trap after trap into the demons, and eventually the first of the cornugon collapsed its body finally broken.

I was taking lots of damage, and between the noxious gases and the traps I had little room to maneuver, however there was nothing I could do about that now, and so just downed a healing draught. The second Cornugon proved harder to kill, its magic resistance thwarting my attacks time and again, but eventually I managed to smash through its defenses, and not a moment too soon! As the demon fell Belhifet finished an incantation, summoning a number of shadows into the room.

I dug my hand into my robes and pulled out the white bishop I had been saving for a special occasion. I was in serious trouble now, if this wasn't a special occasion I didn't know what was. I smashed the chess piece on the floor by my feet, and a ghostly priest materialized where it had broken. My new ally immediately began casting much needed spells, of healing.

I quickly ran to the opposite side of the room, luring my enemies away from my new ally. The shadows ere weak enemies, but I had already expended my entire reserve of skull traps, and my wilting horror spells take too long to cast, the golems would crush me to death before I could ever get a casting off. Instead I resorted to my belt of Ogre Blood once more, summoning a group of fearsome ogres and setting them upon this new undead threat.

Belhifet and the shadows all engaged the ogres, but the golems however were focused solely on me, which suited me fine! I quickly made my way back to my priestly ally, applied my spirit armour protection spell, and then turned to face the incoming golems with my staff in hand.

The golems came at me hard, but my spirit armour protected me from the bulk of their attacks. My enchanted staff quickly began to wear the first golem down. My terrible foes still managed to land several devastating blows upon me, and under normal circumstances I would have been done for, however my ghostly ally had my back, soothing my wounds with his healing magic's, as quickly as the golems could harm me.

Dismantling the golems proved a slow task however, and before long the mighty Belhifet dispatched my ogres and was rushing over to join in the battle with his iron allies. My ghostly ally was doing his best to keep me alive, but I was on the back foot now and had to supplement his healing spells with several potions of my own.

The enchantment sustaining the priest unfortunately didn't last for long, and before I could strike the killing blow on the badly damaged golem, he faded back to the spiritual plane. I had no choice but to retreat, once I was at a safe distance I quickly summoned a handful of undead warriors and sent them to distract Belhifet. The golems slowly lumbered after me and I lured as far from the demon as I could.

Once golems caught up, I rushed in quickly, striking the wounded creature with my staff, and then retreating quickly to a safe distance before it could respond. These hit and run tactics went on for a short while, and for the most part the strategy was successful. I took a few glancing blows during my retreats, but my healing potions kept me in good shape. Before long the mighty Golem finally crashed to the floor and in a huge metal heap.

I periodically called forth more skeletons to keep the demon busy, whilst I focused on the remaining golem, using the same tactics that had taken down the first one. My war of attrition went on for what seemed an eternity, going back and forth to trade minor blows.

Slowly and with great effort I beat down the final Golem, and that left only Belhifet. I was reluctant to go toe to toe with the deadly creature, especially with so few healing potions remaining. A new plan began to formulate, I quaffed a potion of power, enhancing my martial prowess, and then I called upon one of my less utilized spells, the Bone Dart!

I had to be careful not to move around, one false move and one of the countless traps would dispel both the effects of my potion, and my darts. I turned my attention onto the demon, he was still distracted by my undead, and was a sitting duck for my enchanted weapons. The demon teleported around the battlefield relentlessly slaying my minions, and a lot of my attacks missed in the chaos, but the ones that landed obviously hurt the mighty demon.

Between each round of bone darts, I summoned a fresh wave of skeletons, ensuring that the demon never got a reprieve from the fighting, and that I was safe to pelt him from afar. My darts, although effective, were far from efficient. Each successful strike might as well have been an insect sting to the powerful demon, but I kept up my assault wearing him down very slowly.

It quickly became apparent that I would run out of darts, long before I could slay the demon. With limited options, I drew my staff and rushed the distracted demon from behind.

My enchanted staff proved a lot more effective than my darts, striking the demon hard. Still the demon was a skilled combatant who had a millennia of experience under his belt fighting in the bloodwar, and I found it hard to land the majority of my blows.

I tried to keep a constant wave of undead swarming the demon at all times, keeping his attention away from me, however he occasionally turned to engage me, forcing me to break off from the combat and flee to safety, before circling around and coming back at him from behind.

Things were beginning to get desperate, and although the demon was severely wounded, and wouldn't last much longer, my resources were quickly draining, both my repertoire of spells and my supply of potions were nearly expended. I started to become reckless, no longer fleeing when he turned his attention upon me, instead opting to trade blow for blow, whilst quaffing my few remaining potions, I needed to end this and quickly.

I quaffed an oil of speed and went at the demon hard, I could sense the end was near, he staggered from side to side as I rained blows down upon him. The crystal tower began to shudder and shake as the demon weakened, Belhifet collapsed to a knee and looked up at me with nothing but rage and malice in his eyes. I brought down my staff, with every bit of strength I had left and felt a sicking crunch as the demons skull imploded in on itself.

The battle was over, but I was not safe yet. With the death its host mind, the crystal tower couldn't maintain its self and began to shake violently. The entire tower was coming down upon my head! I made a dash for the stairs as the tower crumbled and shards of razor sharp crystal fell from above. Up the stairs I found myself on the ground floor of the temple of Tempus. With no time to loose, I ran as fast as my legs would carry me towards the exit, the crystal tower came crashing to the ground behind me, barely a moment after I dived through the front door.

I collapsed to the ground both exhausted and relieved, and that was the last thing I remembered before passing out....
    Post edited by Genryu on
    moody_mageJuliusBorisovSkatan