Skip to content

Cernd's Abilities

This is more of a question about shapeshifters in general, but focused around Cernd.

I've not found much information on Forgotten Realms Wiki about shapeshifting itself and my limited knowledge on the subject comes mostly from characters like Cernd and Beorn from the Hobbit. I do have a few questions about it though...

What happens to their equipment when they change? Mostly in relation to Cernd's staff and cloak, which seem pretty important to him.
It says on the Forgotten Realms Wiki that only Archdruids can take the form of the creature they desire at will. Does this mean Cernd is an archdruid? If so, does that mean Grand Druid is a higher rank than Archdruid?

I do also have a separate question concerning Cernd so I figured I'd add it here. It says in the epilogue that Cernd's son raises and army that threatens the Sword Coast. I recall reading somewhere that this army is an army of undead, can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Cernd's equipment remains equipped, and bonus effects which were already active at the time of transformation will remain so (e.g. his cloak's +1 effects, together with any effects from rings, helmets, etc.)

However, although weapons remain "equipped" for inventory and bonus purposes, weapons are replaced by his new form's "natural weapons" (i.e. claws etc.) for combat purposes.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    In the Times of Trouble trilogy, one of the characters was cursed with Lycanyhropy. In yhe books, thier clothes would be shredded and torn and weapons lost unless they remembered where the transformation took place.

This type of attitude also appears in the game with the hunters in Windspear.

With Cernd and PC shapeshifters, less annoying game mechanics take precedence over proper lore. It could also be that since his staff and cloak are magical, they are absorbed into the transformation.

Figuring his son becomes a necromancer, an army of undead sounds legit.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    And it helps them achieve nudity when required with amazing alacrity.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    ^ 'Alacrity' is a great word to combine with nudity. Here I am! Ready to serve.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    "You don't understand! Years ago I was bitten by a werewolf. When the full moon rises, I turn into a wolf myself. I do horrible things. Then wake up the next morning, without my shoes and socks!"

I seem to remember the 2nd ed druids just melding their clothes and whatnot into their animal form.