Skip to content

Suggestion: Option to level down to 7-10 (~161k xp) upon import to BG2EE

Firstly, I'm quite excited for SoD. I love the interquel concept both in regards to gaps in the current Bhaalspawn storyline as well fitting the events into existing Forgotten Realms lore.

That said, I am concerned about the XP gained during SoD and how it will influenced the BG2EE experience. We've heard the new cap will be 12, which makes SoD a great level range (8-12), but may introduce some scaling issues when importing into BG2EE. Despite the fact that Beamdog is aware of this and will likely address it (in addition to existing level scaling in BG2), I think there are many nuances to the level progression in BG2 that would be hard (if not impossible) to duplicated with such large disparities in XP.

The proposed solution here is optional, as well as clean and consistent with the lore of the Bhaalspawn saga. I suggest that players have the option to de-level their character back down to the TotSC 161k xp cap (level 7-10) upon importing to BG2EE. This would allow players to remove any potential balance or progression disparities created by the increased XP cap of SoD, or alternatively allow players retain well-earned XP and power if they so choose.

As a long-time dungeon master, I also feel as if this can work without breaking immersion. In terms of lore, the loss in levels could be explained as the result from Irenicus' capture of CHARNAME and the subsequent experiments performed on him/her and the surviving party members. After all, Irenicus's goal all along has been to tap into/drain the Bhaalspawn's power in one way or another.

Thoughts, criticisms, suggestions?

P.S. Thanks for helping me procrastinate and avoid working on my dissertation :P
elminsterStarflower2525

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Sounds good. But, please remake this as a poll.
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    Options are always good, especially options that will help with balance, but how would you explain the loss of XP of the NPCs not captured? Say you took Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad with you through SoD, would their XP carry over into BG2EE (level 12 or so) or adjust back to Charname's current level like BG2EE does now?
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    It is also technical not that easy.it requires the game to remember when your sorcerer picked a specific spell or when your thief put points in a certain skill.plus proficiencies.How exactly does level drain handle that btw?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    You can console your XP down at the start of BG2 if you think it will give you an advantage
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    BG2 has scaling encounters. A level 12 party is hardly overpowered if they have to deal with bone golems instead of skeletons/shadows.
    jackjack
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295

BG2 has scaling encounters. A level 12 party is hardly overpowered if they have to deal with bone golems instead of skeletons/shadows.

All the challenging fights tend to be fixed. Getting a bone golem instead of skeleton just means more XP.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Ammar said:

All the challenging fights tend to be fixed. Getting a bone golem instead of skeleton just means more XP.

More xp, because it's a tougher enemy, at the cost of a probable loss of more party resources. Lost HP, potions spent healing the lost HP, potions spent buffing to tank the bone golem's crazy THACO/damage output, etc.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Wouldn't leveling down at the start of BG2 be the same (or nearly so) as just importing from BG?
    JuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Cerevant said:

Wouldn't leveling down at the start of BG2 be the same (or nearly so) as just importing from BG?

Shiny new item carry over you all are promising. So no.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    But the new items would alter the balance of BG2, so surely you wouldn't be importing those? ;)
    Fardragon
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    deltago said:

Shiny new item carry over you all are promising. So no.

What items? You lose your inventory at the start of BG2.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    gangler said:

You can import a few items with you into BG2. Most notably the Claw of Kazgaroth.

I don't know about you, but for me it was most notably the golden pantaloons.
    Faydark