Skip to content

what does dorn say about imoen and others?

There's a conversation with Dorn that happens after I rested. He talks about being suspicious of party members then the party members and him talk. Instead of going around all over the place and reloading to read what they all have to say, going to ask what is said in regards to certain party members. Doesn't have to be word for word of course. I've heard/read the conversations of Minsc (I actually traveled to recruit him to hear what was said lol) Coran, Branwen, Neera, Jaheria, Rasaad. Mostly curious about Imoen I guess, but I would like to read what was said about and from others too.

Comments

• VigilarkVigilark Member Posts: 50
    Thanks. Coran and Kivian seem to be switched. I had him make the bow remark with Coran in my party, not Kivain.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Fixed.
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    Thanks for posting all the replies. I was wondering about some of them.
    AedanJuliusBorisov
    @Dwayne You're welcome :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    edited July 2015
    Aedan said:

Fixed.

In Rasaad's response, you also wrote Xzar instead of Dorn.

Dorn is... fairly accurate.

Well, accurate to the first game at least. And until their missions change everything.
    Aedan
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    edited July 2015

Aedan said:

Fixed.

Dorn is... fairly accurate.

Well, accurate to the first game at least. And until their missions change everything.
    He's accurate in a very nihilistic/negative way, reducing everyone and/or their motives down to the most unfavorable characteristic.

I tried keeping Dorn in an evil group I played somewhat recently, and just could not. It's hard to imagine a more thoroughly unlikable character in every possible way. Kudos to whoever made him, if that was the goal.
    Quartz

Thanks! I fixed that too.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Blucher said:

I tried keeping Dorn in an evil group I played somewhat recently, and just could not. It's hard to imagine a more thoroughly unlikable character in every possible way. Kudos to whoever made him, if that was the goal.

This is even more true in Baldur's Gate II.
  • sentinel101sentinel101 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2022
    @ OP - Nice work on the list. To add to your list, here are the comments I got from Baeloth and Ajantis:

Baeloth: To be honest Dorn...You might be on to something.
    Dorn: And yet, it is you I fear treachery from the least.

Ajantis: All who know me vouch for me. I am above your reproach, half-orc.
    Dorn: And yet, horrifying acts have been performed under the mask of a white robe and divine symbol. I trust you least of all, boy.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    And to complete it, Yeslick:

Yeslick: Ye attempt to cast doubt on me, when it is you who we shan't dare turn our backs to?
    Dorn: What of your god, dwarf? Surely Moradin takes exception to me? Surely he has whispered for you to deal with me in some way?

Two points to add there.
    - Yeslick is, quite clearly, a priest of Clangeddin. What's this about Moradin, then?
    - Dorn and Yeslick conflict; when they're both in the party, Yeslick will speak up and force you to send one away (to the Friendly Arm). You can re-recruit the one that left, though, and carry both in the party after that.

Of course, that's not as bad as the Ajantis conflict. If Ajantis and Dorn are ever both in the party, Ajantis will immediately speak up to object - and the only possible resolutions to that are for Ajantis to leave forever or for him to go hostile. You don't even get the option of rejecting Dorn in favor of Ajantis. You simply can't run both of them without either installing a mod to change that interaction or mucking around with variables.
  • sentinel101sentinel101 Member Posts: 2
    Nice catch, jmerry.

With Dorn's keen and unusual insight into our companions, it would be a rare mistake to think he got Clangeddin and Moradin mixed up...unless there is something more to it! (dev error notwithstanding, lol)

As for the Ajantis and Dorn conflict, I wonder if the presence of Xan can calm/talk him down? Xan tends to be useful like that when Ajantis wigs out on his evil-smiting rage. LOL.

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Honestly his biggest issue with most of these is just assuming multiple loyalties are in conflict with eachother.

Like pretty much every priest companion he pulls the "They're more loyal to their god than they are to you" card. She's more loyal to the harpers than she is to you. Minsc cares more about his hamster than he does you. So on and so forth.

But these are actually examples of interests aligning. They strengthen our ability to work together, not weaken it.

Khalid in particular he's just flatout wrong. The dude has a stutter but he's plenty courageous, choosing to live by the sword despite his fears. It's not like it's ever laid out that he was forced into this profession or anything. If he occasionally gets skittish it's nothing a first or second level spell can't solve.

Montaron's probably the one he's most on the money about. Dude's useful just keep an eye on him. That's not an outlandish proposition when half the dude's lines are threatening anybody and everybody over the slightest provocation.

And in calmer moments Neera would be the first to tell you her magic is as likely as not to blow up in your face, no matter where her personal loyalties lie. I can't exactly fault his logic in this.

But I'm not really with all the people saying he's right on the money with most of these. They're the paranoid delusions of a man traumatized by a great betrayal, fearful of any potentiality that he'll experience it again no matter how mild. These are not the thoughts of a rational mind making an accurate assessment that betrayal is a reasonable concern here.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    jmerry wrote: »
    the Ajantis conflict. If Ajantis and Dorn are ever both in the party, Ajantis will immediately speak up to object - and the only possible resolutions to that are for Ajantis to leave forever or for him to go hostile. You don't even get the option of rejecting Dorn in favor of Ajantis. You simply can't run both of them without either installing a mod to change that interaction or mucking around with variables.
    Oh, that's a good point. That cries out for a tweak imho. [Also because I'm biased towards keeping Ajantis, lol.] Or does such a tweak already exist?

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    There's a component in Tweaks Anthology to completely remove NPC conflicts. I'm not aware of anything that uses a subtler touch here.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Thanks. I need to check whether this is considered there.