Skip to content

So if Torment: EE is getting made...

SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
What do you think will change?

What do you think needs changing?

Everyone strongly suspects (and most people strongly desire) Torment:EE as the next target for overhaul if all goes well. Most reference its popularity as the best reason for an overhaul, but never really define what they want overhauled. So here goes: why is this game a good candidate?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that even moreso than BG, any attempt to enhance PST must be made with the utmost caution. This is a game that's held up as one of the best CRPGs ever created, and with good reason - adding more NPCs or unrelated quests like the Black Pits just wouldn't work.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    Communard said:

3. Better combat (though that kinda goes with UI changes).

This must be done at the very least!

• YemethYemeth Member Posts: 36
    honestly, i dont think Torment should be "enhanced" at all...
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    Yemeth said:

honestly, i dont think Torment should be "enhanced" at all...

This. Better combat maybe, but... no. Torment is Torment, a masterpiece just as it is.

• KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    It only needs to be enhanced to support better resolutions and newer computers. If its source arts are safe, you could enhance the graphics. Maybe add some new spells or combat features.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2012
    The real question is. What are the limits for an overhaul? If it's similar to BG EE then you can't do much besides updating the engine, doing some bug fixing and adding additional content.

Dunno. As much as I'd like to see the old games "enhanced". Maybe it's best if they just use the updated game engine and try to deliver some new campaign? At least there they won't have that many restrictions in regard to existing content.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    The biggest challenge in making PT:EE would be to bring the UI and graphics to an early 21st century standard.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Oh no :( Sorry, didn't see this in my search.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Bug fixes, updated graphics if possible. That is all. New content would be a travesty, and "completing" cut content should only be done if they know what was left out because there wasn't time and what was cut because they didn't want it in the game.
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    Fixing the obvious flaws and bugs. Also perhaps making the visuals a bit less glaring (UI, etc.).
  • CheOffshoreCheOffshore Member Posts: 27
    Im sure I can come up with a massive list if i tried :)
    1/ more consequences to attacking civilians... found myself levelling up by killing innocent ba'atorians in sigil, switching screens and killing them again when they respawn, i did it because I could, but felt that reminded me that i was in a game, would assume doing that repeatedly would piss off other people
    2/ "you must gather your party before venturing forth" - same issue again, just send nameless one to run through baddies to get to the next level, you can escape hoards of thugs by running out the front door, that needs to change
    3/ proper painted portraits for the NPCs, and none of the thick bright colour blobs that appear behind characters in the inventory, get rid of the CGI cut scenes, replace with IWD style pencil drawing/ narrator cut scenes and use concept art in the bestiary, the poor CG at the moment hasn't aged well.
    4/ add new NPCs... the current ones are great, but I would want to have another guy or two next time I play, they don't have to be linked to the plot the same way Annah, Ignus and Morte are, just 2 or 3 new guys from some of the more unusual races with good dialogue and new quests
    5/ few new quests and areas... same as NPCs, just a bit of a bonus, for us old veterans :)
    6/ more armour or clothes for the Nameless One, I did get a bit sick of the same old bare grey chest from start to finish
    7/ re make the Mechanus section, it was boring on the first play though, even more on the second and third
    8/ scrap the current interface, no more right clicking to select spells and abilities, make it consistent with BG/ IWD
    9/ enhance lighting effects, maybe add filters/ weather effects, make the game look more dingy and atmospheric

PS:T is a great game, just one that's aged pretty badly compared to the BG and IWD series I look back at the graphics and style and it reminds me of the show "Reboot" from when I was a kiddie, which is not really a good thing, it doesn't fit in quite with how I imagine the planes to be.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    combat and UI thats all it needs
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Fix the bugs, update the interface, leave the rest alone.
    Torment doesn't need much expanding and while I would love another NPC (perhaps a celestial with their own torment?), they have some very, very good writing ahead of them if they want to keep the same level of quality. Probably better to just let it be.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    fix the bug that caused me to stop playing

the one where everytime you cast a spell, the game would freeze, then slowly move again (at roughly 1~3 frames a second) until the spell was finished casting and hitting the target.....

the game just wasn't as good not being able to cast any spells

also, expand the romances, hehe, the one female you can romance with a tail (avoiding spoilers) should have been very very epic
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Don't...all female partymembers have a tail in Torment?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The first time I played I got the cannons bug. The game just crashed to desktop when I shot the third cannon.

It was a well known bug at the time, but never fixed.

I just managed to finish the game the second time I played,
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Drugar said:

Don't...all female partymembers have a tail in Torment?

pretty sure Grace don't have a tail
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I second the fixing of the shirtless Nameless One. I mean he's lived all that time and still has no fashion sense? The number of people that go for that whole 'hideous full-body scarred' look has to be pretty small even in a place like Sigil. Give the man some shirts; even if they don't give any stat or armor bonuses.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @kilroy_was_here But then how can you get your tattoos read at various points in the storyline?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Transparent shirts? :)
    @Corvino is right: I mean, one of my favorite parts in PS:T is when the Nameless One realizes there's another line on his back that Morte didn't read out - "Don't trust the skull." :)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @shawne Indeed - it's one of the first clues you get that he's no ordinary, common-or-garden floating and talking skull.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,195
    shawne said:

@Corvino is right: I mean, one of my favorite parts in PS:T is when the Nameless One realizes there's another line on his back that Morte didn't read out - "Don't trust the skull." :)

I'm sure there would be some way to implement it. Btw, if I had parts of my life story written all over me, the first thing I would do would be covering it up with something.
    @Corvino: Avellone is a master at pulling the rug out from under you - I just finished Knights of the Old Republic 2 and... well, one word, really: Kreia. :)
    Pecca said:

I'm sure there would be some way to implement it. Btw, if I had parts of my life story written all over me, the first thing I would do would be covering it up with something.

Except that you (meaning the Nameless One) can't actually see what's written on your back - you (meaning the player) have only Morte's word, and at that point in the game it's unclear whether you should trust him. :)
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I'm sure they can work around it somehow. Besides when you find out about the 'don't trust the skull line' isn't that *SPOILERS* when you're reading it off the walls of that tomb?

It's been a while since I've played, but isn't the only time anyone (Morte) actually reads your tattoo when you wake up in the morgue?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,195
    shawne said:

Except that you (meaning the Nameless One) can't actually see what's written on your back - you (meaning the player) have only Morte's word, and at that point in the game it's unclear whether you should trust him. :)

And right after that, which is at the very beginning, I would cover myself up:)