Skip to content

Roll your character's attributes first

LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54
In all three games, I would greatly enjoy having the option to invert the character creation steps, i.e. roll my character's attributes first, then choose its alignement, its race and its class, kind of like in Temple of Elemental Evil.

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    That would be a fun addition to the game. I've tried it myself using gaming dice, but some rolls result in a character which won't support any class.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm afraid it cannot be done. In BG and IWD you class/kit defines your stat points. Different classes and kits have different minimum requirements in terms of attributes.
  • LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54
    With this option selected, you simply wouldn't be able to pick those classes and kits you don't have the minimum requirements for, which would allow for a "no re-roll, no redistribution, pick whatever class you can" run.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    It must have been done that way to help a beginner playing the game. Choosing class first. A perfectly good alternative is having Ctrl shift 8 by default, so you can put in whatever roll you want. inc str level
  • LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54
    fanscale said:

A perfectly good alternative is having Ctrl shift 8 by default, so you can put in whatever roll you want. inc str level

But this would achieve the opposite of what I suggest, i.e. absolute control over your character, vs less control than we already have.

In IWDEE, for exemple, I would like to roll six characters, keep the first roll for each of them and choose that character's class and race according to that roll. I would end up with non min-maxed characters and a potentially very suboptimal party composition, which is exactly the point. What's more, I would be very excited to ever roll a paladin, a ranger, a druid, etc. This would also allow for a more organic party creation, in which you don't need a preconceived idea of your characters.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Use Ctrl-8 and 3d6. Lower the ability scores to the die roll.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    All of my support. I'd be happy for it to just be an option you can enable to switch creation order around.

Though if they did integrate it, then adding it as part of an Iron-man Mode difficulty would probably be the best time since the system would be getting quite a lot of changes anyway for such an addition.

And it's not like the game doesn't already fully support such a change, since all that would happen if you couldn't qualify for a class/race is that it would be disabled as a choice. All they'd have to actually change is merely ensure that the classes and races apply their bonuses/penalties as actual bonuses and penalties to the scores where appropriate.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    You can already reroll as many times as you want. If you don't want a Paladin, you don't have to play as one. There are plenty of ways to gimp yourself. This would be a lot of effort with very little return.