Skip to content

An Orphan's Tale [as written in the diary of Deirdre Bookchild]

Having read the start of @typo_tilly 's Adventures of Tilly Thistlebottom, I got in the mood for reading and writing roleplaying playthroughs, like @deltago 's Storied Playthrough: Sahil and @Lemernis ' Let the Fates Decide.

This playthrough is about experiencing the game from the eyes of Gorion's fosterchild, as I have created her. It has the purpose of avoiding meta-gaming, by making decisions as Deirdre would take the, rather than from @Son_of_Imoen's metagaming knowledge and foremost, about writing a story that's [hopefuly] fun to read [and write].

As a IRL person, I'm very bad at drawing lines for myself and as the point of the game is having fun, I won't go through the struggle of trying to limit my chronic reloading habit. This is not a minimal or no-reload playthrough. If a particular fight makes me reload, I guess I'll make use of 'Deirdre had a sense of foreboding' as an excuse to take a different approach, although from the same save-game she would technically and RP-wise have the same knowledge as the previous time I entered the fight.

Some info about mods though. As I already have two campaigns going and unlike with vanilla BG, I don't know of a way to create a separate install with each it's own mod-setup, the setup is the one I already had but run from a different user account [using Shift-Rightclick on the shortcut 'run as a different user'].

My bread-and-butter mods are BG2Tweaks, Rogue Rebalancing and Swordcoast Stratagems. I have not however installed all difficulty enhancements of SCS and should note that from BG2Tweaks I always play with the NWN-style level-up and 100% chance of learning spells to make the game less frustrating. NPC-wise the banters of NPC1Project will enhance roleplay and Finch will be present in Candlekeep and later on somewhere on the road. I also added quests from the mini-quests and encounters and Sirine's Call mods.

If I as an author want to add something to the posting of the playthrough, I'll use italic to seperate my own writing from Deirdre's.

These are Deirdre's stats:

name : Deirdre Bookchild
race: gnome
class: Illusionist

STR: 8 - hey, she's just a tiny gnome
DEX: 17 - quit nimble I hate having my mages drop like flies
CON: 15 - luckily, she's healthy and hardly ever ill again, I hate having my mages drop like flies
INT: 17 - mostly from studying a lot
WIS: 8 - most she knows about the world stems from books, real people are very strange, in Deirdre's opinion, making it hard to know how to deal with life
CHA: 14 - though she's not apt at dealing with people, her cuteness and looks mostly cause people to react favourably to her

Having read through my own post I now realise why sometimes I find the game to be too easy... But now I'll quit writing and let Deirdre Bookchild have her say. I hope you enjoy!

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    photo Character Record_zpsiijk3z7w.jpg
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I am enjoying your tale. I trust that you are enjoying writing it and will continue. :)

I hope you feel better soon.
    edited July 2015
    4 Mirtul, scribbling by the campfire

- just some quick notes, the light ain't very good now – by the fire – almost in Beregost – boy pointed to robbed caravan – took a look – people ghastly murdered, cut down by bandits – Jaheira wanted to mete out justice on them – found them but nearly got killed again – found some spells b.t.w. when fighting hobgoblins near inn, some came in handy – I blinded the leader after she kept shooting at us besides being hit by my spooking spell – Jaheira and I almost died (*) – she bandaged us when taking rest – Imoen did the cooking, ruined a frying pan - gonna sleep now – tomorrow Beregost

(*) In fact, Deirdre and Jaheira died a lot and I kept reloading until I won the fight - the point of this thread is experiencing the tale through the eyes of a roleplayed character, it's not a no-reload game and I avoid meta-gaming. If I meta-game, I avoid this bandit group at the robbed out caravan until I'm level 3 and then make mincemeat of them, but from a character point of view, it doesn't make sense seeing a robbed out caravan with bodies and not seeking out the culprits straight away but expecting them to still be hanging around weeks later after the party gets to level 3
    Post edited by Son_of_Imoen on
    5 Mirtul 1368 – who shall I trust?

Dear Diary,

I'm at Beregost now, at a table in the Burning Wizard together with Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid and Tiax, another gnome I met here in Beregost. He's a bit strange, rambling about wanting to dominate the world and addressing the rest of us as slaves, but he seems to be al right. I guess. But you can't always trust people. We ran into this evil man called Garrick, who hired us as some thugs were bothering his mistress, a Thespian performing theatre plays in Feldepost's inn that got bothered by Feldepost thugs, so he said, for not performing there any more. But when those 'thugs' arrived, they did so with gems to give that she had asked for – didn't sound like thugs and when I hesitated, she attacked me.

She was a mighty caster, had some kind of stony skin spell on her, but after Jaheira uttered some doom words on her, I was able to spook her and thus we managed to strike her with arrows while she was running and at last she died. It doesn't sound like a brave thing to do, but I am not a brave girl. Garrick just stood there, but I left him standing, I dared not talk to him any more, I was afraid of another battle like against Silke. I really don't know who to trust in this world and whom not to lend trust to.

Yesterday, when we arrived in Beregost, I was very weary of a woman in mage robes as I had been attacked by another mage before. But this one seemed as scared as I. There were men after her, bandit mages, because of her special 'wild' powers as they called. But I daren't step up to help her, I was frightened of those red robed wizards and the thugs they had with them, but I got involved in the fight anyway, as the red-robed wizards attacked me as well. I survived, but it didn't end well for that woman. Neera, she's called, the name was engraved on her staff, some magic thing only usable by her. I did take her robe though, feeling bad about taking something from someone dead, but at the same time, I don't want to end up dead myself and having the magic of the robe protect me might help staying alive a while longer.

Anyway, apparently that Neera was someone I could possibly trust. It's so hard to make out what's right and wrong. Who is trustful and who is not? We'll see what the morning brings. The five of us, those two half-elves, Imoen and my fellow gnome Tiax will head back north first to bring Landrin her stuff, as we've managed to kill the spiders building nests in her house and then we head back south for Naskhel.
    edited July 2015
    Dear diary,

Well, Tiax couldn't be trusted! He asked me when we would go spill some blood to obtain world domination. I got so mad! I told him to leave and almost wanted to attack him. The only thing that held me back, is the sense that his blood-thirst is only an effect of his madness. But when he spoke about wanting to spread terror - urgh - I almost feel bad for not striking him down - what harm might he really be up to now he's on the loose somewhere on the Swordcoast, running wild with blood-lust?

He's a disgrace to our noble gnome race, he is!

I am enjoying your tale. I trust that you are enjoying writing it and will continue. :)

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for your compliments. Feeling tired is mostly a symptom of the chronic mental illness I suffer from (and possibly a by-effect of the medication for it), but I do enjoy writing it. It just goes slomo.
    8 Mirtul 1368 - strange encounters

Dear diary,

Tiax was not the only strange person I have met on my travels since I left Candlekeep in a hurry almost a week ago. There was a woman wielding a big sword who wanted to challenge our best warrior to a duel. And she only would except dueling with a male, so that would mean Khalid. But I didn't think it a very good idea to risks Khalid's life and limb not for a good purpose like ridding the roads of bandits, but just for sports, dangerous sports. No thanks, I said and she called us a coward and left. Pfft, coward, serendipitous I would say, trying to not get into unnecessary fights. Like when we went on a bandit search and met an ogre. I got scared, scared! Not without reason, as he smashed me real hard with his mace when I tried running away from him, while all of the rest tried pelting him from a distance until he fell. Toe-to-toe with an ogre, maybe we'll be able to do it someday, but not now.

Other strange encounters: a hermit that had very strange tales, he said my aura was so volatile, it's hard to look at and I'm at odds with myself. Hrmph. More at odds with this odd world around me I'd say. He said my type usually finds a violent end, but he could not see my future. As if anyone can? And finally there was this noble from Waterdeep who dreamed about visiting Neverwinter and was more preoccupied with clothes than anything else. Well, at least he complimented me with my attire instead of insulting me with a 'volatile aura'.

But the fun thing is, here I'm sitting again by a campfire and half of the past six nights were by campfires instead of sleeping in an inn, and I'm actually beginning to enjoy travelling. And tomorrow we'll arrive in Nashkel, were I hope answers will be found, to the bandit plague, the brittle iron and perhaps I can find a clue as to why I get attacked. I'm weary of being attacked again though and I'm especially scared at crowded places. Which is strange, really, as the attack where Gorion was – killed – occurred in a lonely forest. But I've always felt unease among people, except for with Imoen – who is an orphan like me, maybe that's why.
    8 Mirtul 1368 – more strange encounters and assassins have a bounty on my head!

This morning we arrived in Nashkel, as I said, I am weary among people and asked Jaheira to take caution, stepping into the inn of Nashkel, asking for directions. Yet again an assassin was after my life, I felt like I died from some unholy blights, but it turned out my spook worked yet again and my fears didn't come true, I still lived (*). I stepped up to the body and found a bounty notice for 680 gp on my head! I showed it to the group. 'Hey, you're price went up!' said Imoen. 'What do you mean?' I asked. “Eh, well', said Imoen 'when we got attacked near the Friendly Arm Inn by the wizard who put you to sleep, I found a bounty notice for 200 gp on his body'. 'Why didn't you tell me?' I wanted to know. Imoen said she didn't want to scare me. But scaring it is, with bounty hunters showing up wherever I go with no-one but our own group knowing where we're going, it must mean there's bounty hunters all around. Those that want me dead – or he - or she – have spread bounty notices all over – either that, or they have some means of scrying me.

But not only were there more assassins, but strange encounters to. In the town of Naskhel, there was a big fellow that talked to a rodent, who seemed intent on rescuing someone called Dynaheir, but I won't believe a tale from someone talking to a hamster and when I told him to go away, he attacked me, the dangerous lunatic (**). Not that all lunatics are dangerous, mind. I met another at the carnival who's very narcissistic and rude, but hey, he's a gnome – and he can cast a lot of spells, well, more than I can anyway. He knows how to spook and heal. Quayle, he's called and although he's a weird one, I think his skills might help. I only know how to spook, though I'm quite effective at it.

I also got to know a warrior priestess who can heal, by meeting yet another madman, who asked the ludicrous sum of 500 gp for a magic scroll to release a woman that got petrified from her imprisonment, but Jaheira did a great thing. She got really mad at the salesman, whacked him on the head with her fist and threatened to do so with her club if he wouldn't give her the scroll. And so he did, out of love for his cranium. But with me, Khalid and Imoen with their bows, Jaheira, Branwen and Quayle with their healing skills, the group got so big, I couldn't control very well what everyone is doing. Or Jaheira can't control, I'm not really sure who's in charge here. But commands and warning shouts get lost in the din if you're with seven and I thought I should boot someone, but that thinking took me some time, would I rather miss out on a healing warrior or a healing wizard. But me being the only with a spellbook in the group, I opted for Quayle to stay, but if I change my mind, Branwen (the warrior priestess) will be waiting at the Friendly Arm Inn she said.

(*) after 3 reloads
    (**) playing the game from the character's point of view can lead to wholly different decisions, it feels like playing game anew. One example is, Deirdre had trouble finding the Carnival - seeing a sign saying Carnival - on the map - but not knowing exactly wear, she got one-shotted by a kobold commando I avoid if meta-gaming. Another example is killing Minsc! I either take him or let him standing and Deirdre did look for a warrior for the group, but seeing this man talking to his hamster doesn't make her trust him and she tells him so, resulting in Minsc assaulting her. So the group has to make do without the most effective melee damage-dealer for a good party.
    Viewing the game from the character's eye and thus party-making decisions that just roll out of what's going on instead of the party setup being pre-meditated, leads to some bewilderment on my part that made it hard to really stay in character with the last text. My own thoughts about party set-ups and what would be effective skills - when faced with the choice between Quayle and Branwen - influenced my writing and it's a bit out of character I think. I don't normally think about party-setups while playing, as normally it's a separate thought-process taking place when planning a party before deciding on a mod-setup and installing the game. It's a bit dazzling to my mind.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

Viewing the game from the character's eye and thus party-making decisions that just roll out of what's going on instead of the party setup being pre-meditated, leads to some bewilderment on my part that made it hard to really stay in character with the last text. My own thoughts about party set-ups and what would be effective skills - when faced with the choice between Quayle and Branwen - influenced my writing and it's a bit out of character I think. I don't normally think about party-setups while playing, as normally it's a separate thought-process taking place when planning a party before deciding on a mod-setup and installing the game. It's a bit dazzling to my mind.

That's all part of the fun of making roleplaying a part of your game. When you make decisions based on, "What would my character do or say at this point, based on the information she or he has?", it becomes a whole different game than if you are making decisions according to foreknowledge of how to be safe and to beat the game easily.

The increased encounters with kobold archers, and the placement of the robbers who took Entar Silvershield's caravan, including that nasty bandit commander, are things I don't like about the NPC Project. I sometimes avoid installing it just so I can avoid those very difficult early encounters that were not there in the unmodded game.
    Thanks for your likes @BelgarathMTH, it encourages me to continue her story (it's been paused a short while).
    11 Mirtul 1368

I met a boy in the wilderness, who said he was spying on Basillus and his 'spooks'. I heard about this Basillus earlier in the town of Beregost, he's a madman who's killed his family and there's a price on his head. And to succeed in surviving in this world outside of the safety of Candlekeep, I not only need travelling companions, but they got to be fitted with good gear. So I decided to go after the bounty. Imoen said she got better at sneaking around, so I'll have her try and scout. And indeed she did, I saw her disappear in broad daylight! So far, we haven't seen any sign of Basillus however, but did ran into some more hobgoblin bandits.

(lunchbreak and time to write while Jaheira gathers some wild berries and roots for a stew)

Imoen did spot Basillus, but he was surrounded by a whole dozen undead, skeletons, zombies and seeing how quickly we get close to defeat in battling even small groups of hobgoblins, we skip the bounty for now. He's seem to have made his home there, in a copse with standing stones, so we might return there later.

A funny thing that happened, we ran into yet another madman, or so I thought, who heard a chicken talking. Imoen did believe him however and wanted to go looking for that chicken and when we did find the chicken, it spoke indeed! His name is Melicamp and he ventured into chickenhood by a spell that went wrong. And although his master, the mage Thalanthyr was not very pleased with his apprentice, he did help getting him back into human form.
    But there's something else I want to talk about, my diary. In this world so full of confusion and madness all around, I find the things that strange monk Rasaad says to be refreshing, a bit like morning sunshine on a pool with lillies, something to uplift the mind. Well, strange analogie maybe to use, as Rasaad likes to talk about the moon instead, but it's the same light, so he told yesterday: the moon reflects the light of the sun, and the moons shines it down to us, where it reflects in a pool of rain. Like a kiss. It made me a bit giggly. And then ashamed. Do I shine with the light of inner beauty? I asked when he went on about our inner light. I don't know what came over me. I feel so ashamed for having said that. Still, also on a more serious note, how the moon godess Selune lets her light shine over this world really gives me a sense of comfort and belonging. We don't need to accept the darkness, we can attempt to bring light and justice to the world and I'm not alo.. Ehr, I feel ashamed again. Damn Rasaad, just falling in battle all the time! I should forget about him. If only he were more careful...

Dear diary, I'm confused. And, well, eh, damn! I don't know what to write. Ras..
    @Son_of_Imoen , nice diary entries. :)

It sounds like Rasaad is someone your character needs for encouragement, and spiritual inspiration, so if I were you, I'd take him into my party and try to romance him, as a female character.

There will be, of course, the problem that Rasaad will be just this side of totally useless dead weight throughout BG1. (Why, oh why, did Beamdog choose a monk and a wild mage for their good and neutral new characters? I don't think I'll ever understand that choice.) But, given your vast experience with playing the game, you can probably compensate for the weakness in combat of the party characters that your sensitive, self-deprecating, uncertain female gnome is drawn to.

Honestly, I think I'm a little like her, too, and I would be drawn to Rasaad, as she is. Although, I also am drawn to larger-than-life personalities, so I would have found Minsc's hamster amusing and attractive, and I would have agreed to help him and follow him on his quest without hesitation.

You know, I almost always wind up taking Jaheira and Minsc, because I really want to have the same cast of characters with me all the way through the trilogy, and those two plus Imoen are the only ones you can do that with, or were the only ones. It just occurred to me that Neera and Rasaad can now serve the same function, that is, companions from beginning to end of the trilogy. I'll have to think about that.

(Dorn is not a candidate for me to ever play with. Sadistic, evil to the core, bloodthirsty, and a total psychopath? No thank you! At least, with the additions of Dorn, Baeloth, and Hexxat, there is finally a core full-trilogy evil party for people who swing that way. It's almost as though Beamdog was preferring and catering to evil players with every new character except Rasaad.)

Anyhoo, please keep playing your run and giving us these interesting diary entries.
    edited August 2015
    Dear diary,

Oh, my mind is so muddled, I completely forgot to tell you about how we met Rasaad. When we arrived in Nashkel, there was a man in some sort of short brown robes with leggings teaching fighting skills, but when one of the farmers standing about loud-mouthedly wanted the man to demonstrate his skills in a fisticuffs, he refused, saying how his fighting is just a way to bring balance between body, soul and mind and only used for real in the defence of justice. Such an admirable stance!

I wanted to know more about him and he told me his name is Rasaad and he is a member of the Order of the Sun Soul. They're descendants from the Brotherhood of the Sun, that worshipped the Sun God Amaunator in the days of ancient Netheril and when he disappeared, part of his power went to the moongoddess Selune that is worshipped by his Order.

Selune fights darkness, by inspiring her followers to bring light to those in need and offer truth in the face of lies in compassion in the face of hatred. My heart felt warmed by those uplifting thoughts and I asked him to join us. On our travels, he often paused to teach me more about Selune and even though he often falls in battle and I have to warn him not to take the fight up front to the enemy, I very much like to have him around.

He warms my heart with his speeches and if in battle I bet his wounds before Quayle or Jaheira are ready to come over and cast a healing spell over him, I feel all soft, that gentle man so vulnerable and yet his heart so strong.

And that muddles my thought. Damn, I feel all mushy inside. Time to quit thinking about Rasaad and go study my spells for the next day!

BTW, I'm so muddled I even forgot to mention the date. It's the 15th of Mirtul now. A fortnight since I started of my journey.

So much has happened since that brutal murder. At least I've a party of people around me and were on our way to develop some battle skills, though I still shudder to think of confronting the demons that are said to haunt the mines in Nashkel that we're supposed to investigate. But Jaheira and Khalid got better at fighting, I myself have learned some more spells, Imoen got quite the sneaker, Rasaad is still a vulnerable man but I'll be on the lookout for things that might protect him and Quayle has learned some protective chanting that might help us in our future battles and he bluffed about being able to silence a mage if we meet one. So yes, we're getting somewhere.
    17 Mirtul 1368,

Dear diary,

In this region the roads are patrolled by the Flaming Fist but they're not very efficient at what they do. It seems more bandits where slain by me and my party than by the Flaming Fist. Worse, they sometimes accuse the wrong people. A week ago, we were accused of being bandits and this night we met a Flaming Fist officer wanting to arrest and kill a drow elf woman for reason of being a drow. It's what you do wrong, not what you are, that condemns you, so I couldn't agree to that. I tried argueing with the officer but he pulled his sword and it ended up in a fight where we killed him! Now I feel bad about that. The drow woman introduced herself as Viconia and offered to join the party, but the affair left a sour taste in my mouth and I declined. We did take the armour off the Flaming Fist before burying his body though as we're in desperate need for better protective gear, but of course, seeing Jaheira in that plate mail only enhances the sour taste (*).

There's others in need of protection too, but that's not as easy as donning plate. I'm talking about Quayle, who's faith allows him armour but it prevents him spellcasting. I gave him a small shield even though with one hand hindered there's a small chance of his spells going wrong. Still he's the most vulnerable of the group and gets targeted my enemy archers such as kobold commando's far too often to be healthy. Mostly he's clever enough to get into just enough range to cast his spells, such as commanding enemies to lie down or spook them, then run away till he's out of range. Doesn't sound very brave, but it's a sound strategy and neither am I very brave, so who am I to blame?

- time for dinner, Imoen is cooking, no chance to ruin a frying pan this time, as she's roasting a hare that Khalid shot on stick above the fire – I just hope it doesn't go black, pink suits her better – I better tell her it's ready, I'll write again after dinner -

Hello diary, here I am again,

Writing about armour made me very worried about Rasaad, who likes to close in on enemies wielding a curved sword he calls a Ninja-to but the poor man gets hit so often. Even though he tries to skirt around to the enemies side while Jaheira takes them from the front the enemies often turn to face him leading to ghastly wounds. He just plain refuses to wear any armour protection. I went to sit beside him when dinner was finished and told him about my worries. “Protection comes from mind and body being in harmony” he said, “we should rely on ourselves, not on worldy things to save us from harm”. “But you must use something to protect you”, I replied. “I wish I could use my magic to keep you safe”. Then I thought about a ring I had found close to the Lion's Way, that I had put on for it's magic protection. “Here, have this”, I said – and blushed - “It will help to keep you safe” and took the ring from my finger but when I tried putting it on his, my hand started trembling. I felt really shy, touching those lovely long fingers. Luckily, he didn't seem to mind. “Why, that's very generous of you, it warms my heart to know you care”. I hid my blush with my hands and ran away “Oh, I forgot, I've got to memorize some spells” I said and ran off to the other side of the fire, where I couldn't concentrate on my spells – of course – but started writing this. I see him sitting on the other side of the fire, he put the ring on his finger and is toying it kind of absent-mindedly. I just hope it will keep him safe.

(*) Fighter-druids being able to wear full plate is a feature of my install, though I'm not sure what mod made that possible. Just so, Quayle getting a 5% chance of miscasting arcane magic is the workings of BG2Tweaks, it would allow him to cast arcane magic with studded leather or even heavier types of armour, but with an ever increasing chance of miscasting.
    edited August 2015
    18 Mirtul 1368

Oh my dear diary, the ring didn't keep Rasaad safe! We were fighting a band of ogres and did really well by keeping our distance, I felt better about being able to take them on, which I wouldn't have believed possible a week ago. There was quit a lot of them, three ogres of different kinds, 2 hobgoblins with poisoned arrows, a couple of those same monsters that slew the messenger that was to bring a letter from Roe to Mirianne and we were keeping a safe distance while pelting them with stones, Khalid and Imoen shooting arrows and me and Quayle using our spells to blind and spook a few of them so not all would go after us at the same time and then I heard a terrible scream of pain of anguish. It was Rasaad's voice that screamed out but then felt completely silent. Time seemed to stop. I was very accurately aware of the foes that were still alive while we were doing our best to kill the last one of them and at the same time everything seemed to happen in a blur.

And then the horror as I couldn't find Rasaad. There were ogre bodies, arrows, pieces of lost weaponry strewn all over the battlefield, but I couldn't find Rasaad. I went into all the bushes, finding dead hobgoblins who had hidden there while they shot at us but got killed by our arrows. Finally I found Rasaad's body next to dead hobgoblin, the hobgoblin with a slash across it's face but with the hobgoblins knife buried in Rasaad's belly. I sank down beside him, took him in my arms and wept for a long time. I even yelled angrily when Jaheira came close. It was Imoen who managed to calm me by putting a hand on my shoulder “We could raise him at a temple you know” she said. My weeping became sobbing and then I fell quiet and stood back, to let Jaheira dress the wounds of Rasaad's body. Khalid took the bandaged to carry Rasaad on his back, we divided his gear and trodded to the Temple of the Morning Lord in Nashkel.

When we got to the temple I was so relieved when they raised him after we made a donation. Rasaad's wounds were still grave, but we took him into town and got a room in the Burning Wizard. Jaheira changed the dressings, I gave him some water to drink and then we all went sleeping, very tired. Not that I really slept, I dozed off once every while but then I'd wake in horror and went over to Rasaad's bed to check if he's still all right. When we awoke in the morning Jaheira started casting healing spells on him and he slowly recovered.

We stayed for another night at the Burning Wizard and then went back too what we were doing – clearing the roads of bandits. Our real goal was to find out what's haunting the Nashkel mines, but I am very worried about the demons that are down there (the farmers of Nashkel told so). And while Jaheira doesn't believe the story of demons, she agreed we should put some time into learning to function as a group and practice our combat skills by fighting bandits, be they human, hobgoblin or half-ogre.
    Post edited by Son_of_Imoen on
    Nice entries. :)

Fighter-druids have always been able to wear plate armor in the base game, so that's not a mod. There's a mod called Divine Remix that removes Jaheira's ability to wear anything better than leather, though, which kind of ruins her usefulness as a tank, and is one reason I don't use that mod.
    meta-talk:

I still got to write the story about how Deirdre entered the Nashkel mines, but now I am stuck trying to think of a way to win the battle against the kobold shaman and chieftain - especially the chieftain is deadly, as his arrows deal massive poison damage. The usual way to deal with this encounter is buff up with chant and bless to get some better die-rolls and try disabling the chieftain and shaman with disrupting spells. So the battle is won by preparing for it. But with Imoen scouting ahead, all she sees from a distance is a group of kobolds that's tiny compared to the groups the party dealt with earlier, so there's no roleplaying reason to prep. There's only a meta-gaming reason to prep, as only with meta-gaming, you know what the party is up against.

Swordcoast Stratagems difficulty and not meta-gaming is a deadly mix and I feel kind of stuck, trying to figure out how to role-play my party into buffing as heavy as they can for this
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    What about a potion of oily burning/wand of fire?
    Throw it and run, desperate measures when you hear the chanting from the shaman?
    The Sleep spell from that shaman is going to be a huge problem. I don't really know how to roleplay an SCS run, since SCS doesn't seem to be designed for that.

The only way I can think of to deal with a Sleep-casting shaman is to know he's there, exactly where he is, and to throw an AoE into the spot, like @UnderstandMouseMagic said. If he gets that Sleep off, it's a TPK, unless you hold off on the mines until you're high enough level to be immune.

You're probably going to run into similar problems with Web-spell casting spiders.

Honestly, I just find SCS to be a huge headache, so I don't use it, but to each their own. :)

Good luck, I hope you manage to solve it. I think @Blackraven has done some roleplayed SCS, so maybe he could give some advice here.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

I think @Blackraven has done some roleplayed SCS, so maybe he could give some advice here.

Swordcoast Stratagems difficulty and not meta-gaming is a deadly mix and I feel kind of stuck, trying to figure out how to role-play my party into buffing as heavy as they can for this

I've tried combing RP, no-reload, and SCS, but it's very hard in my experience. Very few (maybe 2 or 3) of my truthfully RPed Charnames made it into SoA (only to die in Chapter 2), so I don't have much to advise. Generally I think you'd have to take one of two approaches:
    - a proactive approach, i.e. do a lot of pre-buffing, or
    - a reactive approach, i.e. run into danger pretty much unprepared (ignoring your metagame knowledge) and respond with potions and items to whatever the game throws at you.

The former is generally a lot more metagamey, unless you have a list of standard pre-buffs that you don't deviate from. But even then you'll probably end up pre-buffing at those moments your metagame knowledge tells you you need to. Obliging yourself to scout enemies first might add some realism there. Another thing is that the proactive approach pretty much forces one to roleplay a semi-paranoid, extremely cautious persona. It can be boring to always roleplay such a character.
    I generally prefer the latter approach, and I must say it's quite feasible for certain classes. Berserkers and Barbarians are examples. My Thieves tend to operate this way. They will scout enemies, maybe buff lightly with potions, but otherwise rely on hit and fade tactics and an ample stock of defensive items and potions to deal with spells cast at them.

For your Illusionist the proactive approach makes more sense. Gnomes are generally elusive beings, and Deirdre (being a low level Mage, low STR, and hunted) has all the reason to be no exception. Illusion spells are actually very suitable for an evasive character (compared to e.g. Invocation or Necromancers).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Why would your characters not buff up extensively when they face mortal danger every day?