Skip to content

Should IWD2ee be converted to D&D 5e?

I own the core books for all editions of D&D (except 4e, of course) and it seems to me that 3e is closer to 5e than it is to 2e. Would it make sense for Beamdog to revamp IWD2ee to use 5e and then use their new 5e Infinity Engine Infinity Plus(!) to make BG3?

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    edited July 2015
    Beamdog wants to carry forward improvements to the infinity engine used for the games it has already made. It would make more sense to convert IWD2 to 2e but Interplay would probably block that and people eho preferred 3E IWD2 would be mad. See my predictions thread on the end of the infinity engine in this forum
    Post edited by billbisco on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    IF they remake IWD2, they will stick to their curator role and not change the basics of the game.

IF they skip IWD2 and go straight to IWD3, they will probably use 5e on behest of WotC.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    If you want to convert anything, it should be BG to 3E, not the other way around.

5E is far too different lore-wise to even bother I believe. Different world, gods, races, classes, etc.
    @blackchimes Already been done. Called Icewind Gate II. Never completed. It is a nightmare but a cool concept. http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?board=45.0
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I'm a little surprised that WoTC allowed Beamdog to make an expansion to a game based on a 25 year-old rule set.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked they did but we can't expect BG3 to be anything less than 5e D&D, right?

IWD3 would be an interesting concept. With Sword Coast Legends coming out soon, it might be time to visit a different part of the Realms, though.
    @bleusteel I would not expect BG3 to be another D&D edition than 5e. Same for IWD3.

Interesting thing though of course is that Beamdog could try to get a Pathfinder license if cheaper. They could also try to start their own IP and avoid paying licensing fees altogether.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    billbisco said:

@bleusteel I would not expect BG3 to be another D&D edition than 5e. Same for IWD3.

Interesting thing though of course is that Beamdog could try to get a Pathfinder license if cheaper. They could also try to start their own IP and avoid paying licensing fees altogether.

If we did that, it couldn't be BG3 (or IWD3). It would, like so many games, be a "spiritual successor" at best.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    billbisco said:

...I know that pathfinder seems to be popular with many people, but it would still be a edition change.
    BG is based around AD&D2, Pathfinder has its origins in D&D3.5.
    i think, if we have to change the edition anyways, then at least stay in the world Ferûn.
    Then again, I'm biased because I actually like the campaing setting of the forgotten worlds
    (and never could get into the setting of Pathfinder) ^^
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I'd say let's wait for Sword Coast Legends to see how a D&D video game would work in 5E...
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

5E is far too different lore-wise to even bother I believe. Different world, gods, races, classes, etc.

The lore and the game mechanics are not intrinsically linked to each other. I would not want IWD II to be shoehorned into another game system (AFAIK, the 3E rules were already added late in its development). However, I like 5E and would love to play a new game that uses the new rules.

In the end, the game mechanics are just a means to an end. :)