Skip to content

A Storied Playthrough: Sahil, Quick full trilogy run, full reload, Role Play.

Comments

• That's like the Hobbit but in Faerun
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Huh, at last i catch up with this. Some really good idea you have there @deltago‌ , and your writing is fascinating. I wonder, who will be the next party member, i liked the presentations of the ones you included so far. Thanks for sharing and keep it coming!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @deltago, beautiful work. It reads just like a professionally written novel. I'm glad you decided to include Minsc. It's interesting that you seem to have used him as a distraction to avoid Neira for now. I look forward to seeing how you advance the story from here.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited March 2015
    Ok, make that three crashes now (thankfully this time I saved what I wrote) and a handful of distractful games later, the next chapter is ready. I am going to attempt to update this once a week now and get it finished before Adventure Y is released having this play through be my first through that expansion. I can't promise anything though, as real life and DA:I may get in the way as it did for the last two months. Regardless, this is now 70 pages long and 29, 500 words and I am not even at the mines. I wonder what I got myself into.

Chapter 13 - Bigger Swords

He could barely lift it, but he was pulling it off giving the large man, and Sahil a show. Garrick, attempting to parry the thrusts that Minsc threw at him was an amusing sight to see. The bard was able to mimic the ranger’s stance convincingly as if he had been trained with the weapon but the illusion was lost as soon as Minsc began charging. Fear etched its way across Garrick’s face and he broke his stance and composure to dodge the blurry man instead of defending himself.

Sahil laughed at the scene while Hailix rested in her lap, munching on some rodent he was able to capture.

“What do you think of him?” said Sahil to her familiar.

“Unstable,” replied the small dragon.

“Which one?” replied Sahil realizing she didn’t specify.

“Both,” said the creature casually as Garrick attempted a swing that threw him off balance. Minsc let out a hardy chuckle as the bard fell to the ground while Sahil smiled, amused at the scene unfolding before her.

“I see that,” Sahil said. “Garrick is at least being a good sport about it.”

The creature nodded as it gulped down the remaining chunk of his snack. “Are we going to be traveling with him for long,” it said, once again not specifying whom it was talking about.

“I don’t know,” Sahil said. “I really do not trust either of them. Minsc seems loyal enough, but that display earlier, his attitude may get us into trouble later.”

“And Garrick?”

“And Garrick,” Sahil paused looking at the bard, once again getting into his stance, pretending to be a fierce warrior, and once again cowering at the charging man. “I just don’t know how reliable he is.”

The creature nodded once again, and then rested his head on her lap.

“Don’t get to comfy,” she said, “we really should save Garrick from his torture and break camp soon.”

The creature sighed, and flapped its wings, crawling out of her lap. “if you wish.”

Sahil stood up as well and stretched. “I think once we save, Minsc’s witch, we’ll depart from his company.”

The faerie dragon took flight, looked at his companion and gave a slight nod.

“Go find Imoen, we’ll leave soon,” Sahil ordered, and walked towards the duelling odd couple.

~

The stronghold could be seen in the distance. A large fortress, built upon the rocks of the coast much like Candlekeep. Even though it was nowhere close to the size of the her old home, the fortress seemed well built, with only a single entrance from the shore visible, a creeky old wooden bridge that had fallen out of disrepair.

Sahil wondered how the gnolls obtained such a structure as she found it hard to believe that they built it themselves. She remembered reading about them in Candlekeep. They are a brutal and thuggish race that tend to have more nomadic tendencies than building giant strongholds. Why they took possession of the structure is a curious thought.

She is also aware at how gnolls treat their captives. They tend to be merely food, and in the rarest occasion made slaves to perform hard physical labour for the tribe. A witch, stereotypically, isn’t one to be considered of physical nature and she wonders if the poor woman is even alive. She also wonders how Minsc would react to such a situation. She slowly regrets joining up with the man and hope it isn't the case.

A loud bark, broke her train of thought, as a lone gnoll wanders close to the group.

“Grrrrruaarr… Wrrretched forrrtrress!” the creature growled, rolling it’s ‘r’s while he spoke to the group. “If you go therrrre, go to conquerrrrr!”

“I will take no orders from a lowly gnoll. Now prepare to meet your end!” Minsc yelled as he charged the beast.

“Die then, wretched pinklingsss!” it replied, hefting a large halberd.

“Now is your chance little man!” Minsc said to Garrick, “show me what you can do.”

Garrick laughed and muttered to Sahil, “I think I can run away.”

“You better not,” replied Sahil.

Sahil raised her quarterstaff up to defend against the gnoll, while Minsc and Garrick flanked the beast. The way the trio was laid out, Imoen could not get a clear shot at the gnoll so she attempted to flank in behind it, while Neera waited to see how the battle turned before acting.

Sahil attempted to taunt the gnoll into attacking her with a wild swing as her campaigns got into better position, but the gnoll focused his attention Minsc instead.

Sahil took advantage of the gnoll’s disinterest and wacked the creature behind the legs with her staff. It growled and turned back to Sahil while Minsc brought his blade down upon the creature’s shoulder severing it, and sending it to the ground dead.

“Why you not attack little man,” Minsc asked Garrick.

“You two dropped him before I could even get ready,” replied the bard.

“That is no excuse,” lectured Minsc, “Hopefully there will be more of his ilk we can smite together across the bridge! Lets go comrades! Evil awaits!”

Garrick picked up the halberd and a pouch of coins the gnoll had on his body while Sahil gave him an cold stare.

“A bigger weapon,” replied the bard. “You know in case this one isn’t big enough. Besides I think it is magical. Can’t leave it laying here.”

“My hamster is getting antsy!” Cried Minsc who had walked further up ahead while Garrick looted the corpse. “If we be adventurers, let us adventure!”

“Right you are Minsc,” Garrick replied. “Right you are.”
    Post edited by deltago on
    Chapter 15 – The Gnoll Stronghold

It was getting dark.

The rocky path sloped upwards. The crashing water hid their footsteps as they slowly approached the main gate of the stronghold in the darkness. Tattered flags and a giant skull decorated the wooden posts that acted as a barrier between the encampment and the bridge leading out. Sahil wasn’t sure if the gnolls decorated the entrance or if it was from forgotten owners long ago.

The cliff jutted creviced in slightly before the gates. A perfect hiding spot to plan and maneuver the groups next move before embarking into the keep. There the four companions gathered below a lone standing tree.

“I should scout ahead and determine numbers before we charge in,” Sahil said to others. “Charging in blindly maybe foolish and make matters worse.”

“I agree,” Garrick said. “But it is risky, for you to go alone.”

“I won’t be alone,” she replied and eyed her familiar down.

“uh oh,” the dragon mused.

“Do not worry Hailix,” she said. “Just get into my pack. If I get into trouble, it will be your job to come warn the others here.”

The faerie dragon thought on it and realized it was a small risk to take especially when he was ordered to protect and guide the girl. He slowly nodded and crawled into the pack.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Imoen asked.

“No, it maybe easier if I do this alone,” Sahil replied.

“Be careful then,” her friend replied.

“I will,” Sahil replied. “Neera, that potion case I gave you earlier.”

“Uh huh,” replied the mage.

“Does it still have that potion of invisibility?”

“Lemme check,” Neera said as she began rifling through the bag. “Here it is. Do you only want this one? Wouldn’t it be easier to take them all, just in case?”

“No,” Sahil said. “They may rattle and make too much noise while I slip in. This one potion maybe enough to get me out of trouble, or if I am lucky, give to Minsc’s witch to sneak her out.”

“Don’t do anything too rash,” Garrick said.

“I don’t know if I like this sneaky business,” said Minsc.

“It is our first option until we know what we are dealing with,” Sahil said. “Trust me. I’ll be back soon.”

“Good luck,” Imoen replied.

Sahil sulked to the shadows against the cliffs and rounded the corner to the wooden gate. A lone gnoll stood guard, half asleep. She quickly made her way past him and up a wide stone staircase that curved up into the fortress.

She readjusted herself in the shadows as she made her way to a large wall covered in vines. There the staircase grew steeper and edged itself along the wall. She slowly crept upwards as she heard two creatures conversing on the steps. They were the same humanoids that attacked her and Imoen outside of the Friendly Arm Inn. What they were doing with the gnolls in this fortress was unknown, but Sahil wasn’t going to wait around to find out.

She quietly slipped by them. Up ahead she could see a large round pit and quickly made her way towards it. Perhaps prisoners were kept below. As she approached the pit, a creature barked out to her. She was spotted by a lone gnoll guarding the pit.

“Grrrrah,” it barked. “Frrrresh Meat.”

Sahil stopped in her tracks and waited for the gnoll to attack. It quickly charged. Sahil thrust out her staff towards the beast who parried the swing with his halberd. She attempted to counter the block by raising the other half up between the beast’s legs, but failed at making a connection.

The gnoll swung the halberd at her head which she easily ducked. Off balance, the gnoll staggered and Sahil took the opportunity to bring the staff across the gnoll’s head. It’s head jolted to the side and came back, yellow eyes staring her down with a sloppy grin of broken teeth and large snout turning into a snarl.

“Die scum!” it said while it swung its large weapon towards Sahil. She used her reflexes to jump back from the attack and brought her staff down upon the gnoll’s arm. It howled in pain. Howled a bit too loudly for Sahil’s liking. The longer this fight dragged on, the more of a chance reinforcements would arrive.

The gnoll swung at her again. It seemed the beast was improperly trained on how to use the weapon as it missed again leaving itself open for another counterattack. Sahil brought her staff across the beasts neck, snapping it and sending him to the ground. She looked around. No one seemed to have noticed the fight, or cared about it. Perhaps, warfare and inner fighting was common with the gnolls. She quickly hid herself by a triangular wall support though and made sure no patrols were coming.

When she felt it was safe, she peered down the giant hole. It was dark and she could not see the bottom. She slowly descended down the wooden posts that acted as a makeshift staircase. The pit was empty, but she realized this type of pit was ideal for holding hostages. She slowly crept up staircase and studied the levels above her.

There seemed to be two different plateaus she could check, but she needed to find the holding cell quickly. She didn’t know how long Minsc’s patience would last before he charged the place.

“Hailix,” she whispered.

The small dragon poked its head out of the bag and looked around.

“Yes?” it questioned.

“I need to you to fly up and see if you can spot any more pits like this one up these two staircases.”

The creature nodded and fluttered slowly up, he flew away from the keep as to not attract attention to himself then turned to face it. He slowly descended back down to Sahil.

“There are two of them on the smaller plateau,” the dragon said. “With a lot of gnolls.”

“One of those must be the holding cell then,” Sahil said and the creature nodded.

“Should I go tell the others?” the creature asked.

“Not yet,” Sahil replied. Get back in my pack, let’s see if we can find her first.”

The familiar nodded once again and crawled back into the pack. Sahil sulked her way along the wall back to a narrow staircase leadind up onto the higher plateau. She waited and listened around the corner. The two blue humanoids were still conversing near the steps, however she didn’t hear anything from above. She quickly ascended the stairs and ducked to the left into the shadows along the ledge.

Three gnolls were near the first pit, barking at each other. She quickly made her way behind them against the wall and made her way to the pit. A large wooden plank, soaked in blood hovered above the deep hole. There was dry blood splattered on its ridge and the wall close to it.

She smelled the death and it surprisingly calmed her. She quickly made her way the wooden steps to the depth of the pit without being seen. Besides old bones and dried blood, the pit was empty. She took a deep breath and quietly made her way up the posts back to the wall.

Unseen, she hid herself behind another wall support and looked at the final pit. There, three more gnolls were barking at each other angrily. One stood taller than the other two and seemed to be fending them off from the hole.

“Not yet,” it barked

“Why?” said another.

“Because,” the taller one said.

The larger one was guarding the pit, not from intruders, but from the other gnolls. Sahil surmised something must be down there of value such a prisoner. She had a slight sense of hope.
    She made her way past the feuding gnolls to the wooden posts and quickly descended. There a dark skinned woman in tattered blue robes sat in the corner. Sahil came out of the shadows and the woman looked up at her and stood.

“Dynaheir?” Sahil asked.

“Aye,” the lady replied.

“I am here to save you. Minsc sent me, he is waiting outside the keep,” Sahil said.

“Truly?” Dynaheir said in disbelief. “‘Twas courageous to follow the likes of Minsc into battle, if a touch foolish.”

“He really didn’t give me an option,” Sahil replied. “Here, drink this.”

She handed the witch the potion of invisibility. Dynaheir uncorked it, and swigged it back.

“Stay quiet and behind me,” Sahil said, let’s get you to Minsc.”

The two made their way out of the hole, and past the gnolls whom were none the wiser that their captive was slipping out. They quickly made their way along the wall and back down the staircase where the Xvarts were still discussing something of importance to them. Sahil grew confident that they were going to make it out without any more bloodshed.

That is until she saw the patrol walking up the steps towards her. She locked eyes with the lead gnoll who barked out to the xvarts.

“You two, intrrrruderrrr.”

The xvarts turned towards the gnoll and spotted Sahil.

“AAATTTAACCKKKK!” one yelled.

“Stay hidden,” Sahil said to Dynaheir whom she couldn’t see and raised her staff to take on the four attackers who were now flanking her.

The gnolls and their large strides reached Sahil first and she turned to attack them. She had to be cautious with her attacks and wait for her opportunities though. The blue creatures came up behind her and one pierced her leg with a short sword. She grimaced, but held her ground, knocking away one of the gnolls swinging halberd. The other gnoll attempted to cleave her but it was easily dodged and she countered with a swing of her own. She bashed gnoll over the head making it yelp in pain.

Sahil looked over her shoulder to quickly see where the Xvarts were. One seemed to be blocked, unable to reach her back. She figured Dynaheir was helping her by being an invisible obstacle. As long as the witch didn’t attack the creatures, the invisibility would hold. Sahil liked her odds slightly better as she turned her attention back to the gnolls.

The one she cracked over the head, retreated a few steps back to regain its senses, so she turned her attention the other. A smile etched across her face as she swung her staff at the gnoll, disarming him. She could see the fear in its eyes as she clobbered the defenceless beast between the eyes. It slumped itself against the wall, defeated.

The xvart behind her however seized the opportunity to place its blade deep into her back. She cried in pain as the little critter laughed.

She turned her attention to it and counted its next thrust with her staff. She swung wildly at it which it was able to dodge easily and the other xvart finally got itself around the invisible obstical. The other gnoll came back to his senses and rejoined the fight. She was out numbered once again.
    Sahil put herself into a defensive position, but the onslaught was too much. She was able to parry the gnoll and one of the xvarts, but the other landed another piercing strike into the back of her leg again.

She cried out in pain.

“Hailix! Go get help!” She screamed.

The faerie dragon removed himself from the pack, and fluttered up to assess the situation. Dynaheir, came out of her invisibility, unarmed and at struck out at one of the blue beasts. She punched the creature in the back of the head hoping to get its attention.

Hailix swooped down on top of one xvart that received the punch to the head as Sahil repositioned herself against the wall to prevent her from being flanked. The odds were evened out, however, an unarmed mage and a fey didn’t tilt the battle too much in their favour.

Sahil lashed out at the gnoll parrying its attacks while Hailix continued to annoy and bite the xvart. Dynaheir grabbed the other blue creature by the shirt, a pulled him back away from Sahil just as it was about to thrust his sword into her again.

The creature stumbled backwards from the momentum of the pull and off the steps. He let out an elongated “eeeeee” sound as he fell to the stones and his death below.

The battle was turning, and the gnoll knew it. He wildly swung his halberd at Sahil and hit the wall. She tripped the beast up and it fell down the stairs, hitting his head at the bottom making him go out cold.
    She turned her attention to Hailix and the last xvart. Knowing it worked for the other one, she charged forward and pushed the creature off the steps.

She heard it thump as it hit the ground below and she let out a sigh. Blood was pouring down her back from the stab wounds. She needed to reach the gate before she bled out but she knew it would be impossible to get Dynaheir past the last gnoll guard without being seen.

“I think there is one more ahead,” she said to the witch. “Wait here.”

Dynaheir nodded.

“Hailix, stay with her,” she ordered. The faerie dragon fluttered above nervously.

Sahil crept slowly down the stairs and saw the half-asleep gnoll, still standing watch at the gate. She was in a lot of pain but knew he was the last obstacle in her way. She also knew her friends were just around the corner.

She got behind the gnoll and struck him with her staff. The gnoll snapped awake and turned at being attacked, Sahil readied herself in a defensive position, then yelled, “Imoen! Help”

Her friend came around the corner, bow in hand and saw Sahil parrying with the beast. It’s back was turned which gave her time to aim an arrow striking the leg. It yelped and turned, giving Sahil the opportunity to finish it off. The beast fell into an eternal slumber.

“Are you okay?” Imoen asked.

“Not really,” Sahil replied as she limped forward. “Hailix it is safe, come.”

The faerie dragon and the witch quickly descended the stairs. Minsc, came around the corner and saw his witch.

“Dynaheir!” he shouted, “I found you!”

“Aye thee did Minsc,” she said, “but let us wait until we are clear of tis place before thy celebration commences.”

“Agreed,” Sahil said as Imoen handed her a healing salve that she applied to her back. “Thank you.”

“No problem,” her friend said. “You did it alone?”

“It was no trouble till the end, but let’s not tarry,” Sahil replied, “back across the bridge.”
    Chapter 16 – Departure

“I thank thee for saving me,” Dynaheir said as they reached the safety of the woods beyond the bridge. “I have naught to offer thee in return, save my service in battle. Mayhaps I could travel with thee awhile, and an opportunity may arise for repayment of my debt.”

“We were happy to help,” Sahil said to her. “We do not require payment for helping you, however, I am curious of who you are that you warrant a bodyguard”

“I am Dynaheir of Rashemen,” the witch replied. “‘This not a title, ‘tis just where I am from. We two are indeed far afield of our home, but ‘tis a necessary rite of passage. Minsc must make his dajemma by seeking adventure, while I must prove my worth to my… sisters in much the same manner.”

“What brings you here though,” Neera asked.

“Tis an interesting time for the realms, with great things foretold for the Sword Coast,” Dynaheir explained. “‘Tis therefore a likely place to look for what we need. What dost thou seek on this adventurous road?
    Mayhaps we can all find what we need together?”

Sahil found it curious that she was dodging the questions being asked of her. She knew having these two around afford more safety in numbers, but trust was fleeting. Sahil dodged the question and asked another.

“How did you come to be captured by the gnolls?”

“Alas, we were ambushed in the night,” the witch replied. “Minsc was overcome by yet another blow to the head, and I was spirited away before he could recover.”

“Why?” Imoen asked.

“Your guess is as good as mine,” Dynaheir replied. “But with but two eyes apiece there is naught more we could have done.”

Sahil thought on the answer. It was hard to phantom that this was a random occurrence. The gnolls wanted Dynaheir for something. With a bounty on her own head, and Red Wizards hunting Neera, adding another factions ire on the group would be ill advised especially with Minsc’s mental stability.

Sahil responded civilly though.

“As I said, we require no payment for your rescue,” she started. “We are working on behalf of the mayor of Nashkel at the moment and venturing along the coast with you for your… dajemma… isn’t an option at the moment. I do wish you two luck though. Maybe our paths will cross again. Good luck to you.”

“As thou dost wish, though the logic of thy decision escapeth me,” Dynaheir scoffed. “Come, Minsc, we depart forthwith.”

Minsc turned to Garrick, “I fear that where Dynaheir goes, so must I little man!”

“It was an honour meeting you Minsc,” Garrick replied. “Farewell.”

The large man turned and began to follow the witch into the wilderness up the coast. The four remaining companions let out a collective sigh of relief and headed back to town to rest.
    Chapter 20 – Nashkel Mine

The entrance sloped down, deeper into the earth. The dirt floor was packed hard from the weight of the carts that hauled the ore to the surface. Every fifteen feet or so, wooden supports were erected to hold the earth above. From these fixtures, oil lanterns hung giving off the only light in the dusty halls.

Loud clangs of metal hitting rock echoed from the depth the mine. The workers were still chiseling away at the sides of the earth. The operation, with all of its problems seemed to continue, regardless of the supposed danger.

The group paced slowly down into the mine, adjusting their eyes to the poorly lit conditions. A miner, spotting their approach, stopped pushing a rusting cart and greeted them.

“Hmm, more adventures eh?” his voice was wheezy when he spoke and his smile exposed gaps and chips. He was a slender man, but muscular only wearing short pantaloons that seem to be too ragged to even stay on.

“I’d leave while you still can if I were you,” he continued. “I’ve heard awful stories about what’s been happening to those that go deeper into the mines.”

“Why? What have you heard?” Sahil questioned.

“Well,” the man started, then paused “my friend Ruffie barely escaped with his life he did. Little demons jumped out of the very walls and chased him down. He’d be dead now if it weren’t for the guards that came running.

“’Course them guards are dead now. Old Ruffies’s around here somewhere,” the man paused again, searching for his friend. He stops and smiles, and points to another miner. “You ask him what he saw, and he’ll tell ya.”

“Thanks, I guess,” Sahil said and slowly approached the other man who was sifting through a cart of rocks. He’d pull one out, hold it close to a latern light, then drop it back in.

“Ruffie?” Sahil said as she approached.

“Wha-what do you want?” Ruffie was startled by the interruption. He seemed jumpy and on edge.

“What did these demons look like?” Sahil asked calmly to him.

“What did they look like?!” Ruffie began to become agitated at the question. He started to shake and he raised his voice more, “they looked like demons, ya blasted idiot!”

He shook his head and went back to sorting the rocks.

“Well, obvious,” Garrick mused.

“Do you think there are actually demons prowling around down here?” Neera asked.

“No,” Sahil replied looking back at Ruffie, “But I’d be wary just in case.”

The large opening of the mine started branching off into different shafts. Each had a set of rail tracks leading further into the mine. A cart, full of ore rested by the mouth of one the shafts. Sahil went over to it and picked up a piece.

The iron looked to be coated in some sort of toxic substance. “Look here,” she said.

“That maybe our culprit,” Garrick said. “This is what could be contaminating the iron in the region.”

“But who is doing this?” Asked Imoen, “One of the workers?”

“Demons!” Neera replied.

“Get real,” Sahil said smiling while putting the rock back into the cart. “It’s a start, come on.”

The four followed the track deeper into the mine. The further they got away from the entrance the darker it became.

Another worker saw them approaching and greeted them.

“A visitor! Glorious day,” he said. “We don’t get many down here as you can imagine. Are you going to be going down into the mines? If so, could you return this dagger to Kylee? He dropped it when he went into the mine the other day and I haven’t seen him since.”

“Sure, I’ll return his dagger,” Garrick said taking the blade and tucking it into his belt.

“Thank you so much,” the man said smiling. “I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.”

The man, patted Garrick on the shoulder and headed up the path to the entrance.

“If Kylee isn’t dead yet,” Garrick said out of earshot.

Sahil’s jaw dropped at the thought.

“He could be,” Garrick said unapologetically.

“Let’s just keep going,” Sahil said defeated.

The group rounded a bend, which sloped steeply down into darkness.
    Chapter 22 – Descend

The mine became darker and colder the further the group descended into it. The torches that hung on the wall were snuffed out, either by lack of air, or by the kobolds hiding in the shadows. The pathway was less smooth as well, fewer footsteps trampled the ground this deep below ground.

The mine seemed abandoned. The clanking of metal on stone was just a faint vibration this deep. Sahil knew she needed to find the kobold’s lair to determine why they were poisoning the ore. She slowly led the group forward following the tracks which soon split into three directions. A body laid where the tracks merged.

“Poor guy,” Imoen said.

Sahil nodded as she attempted to figure out which way to go. She looked west, but decided to head east. She took a few steps before Imoen grabbed her arm and yanked her back hard.

“Wait!” her friend exclaimed, then crouched to the ground of the tracks pulling on a clear string gently and following it up the wall. “This is a trap.”

“How’d you spot it?” Neera asked.

“Oh, it is a simple one that a lot of visiting merch-“ Imoen stopped explaining as she sensed Sahil staring her down.

“I knew it was you,” Sahil said as Imoen began to smirk. “Winthrop would always defend you and blame someone else.”

Imoen smiled as she reached into a small crevice and pulled out a small dart disarming the trap. “That’s because he always got a piece of the cut.”

“Figures,” Sahil said.

“Hey, I had to sell what I got to somebody,” Imoen replied. “Winthrop was just the closest fence.”

“And here I thought I was the scoundrel,” Garrick chimed in.

“You are,” Sahil replied with a smile. “Is it safe Immy?”

“Ya,” her friend replied. Sahil nodded her head to the east and the companions slowly headed that way.

“If they are trapping the area, we might be close to their lair,” Garrick whispered. “Be on your guard.”

Sahil nodded, and on cue, a patrol of kobolds appeared heading towards them.

“Quick, Neera,” Sahil ordered. “Put them to sleep.”

Neera nodded and removed the wand pointed it at the group of kobolds who began to yip as they saw the group. Garrick and Imoen aimed shots at the now charging critters, while Sahil took up a defensive stance to block their approach.

Arrows flew over Sahil head from both directions. She felt like she was caught in a cross fire, but trusted her friends enough to aim away from her. She might have been in the way though as both Imoen’s and Garrick’s shots pinged off the stone wall harmlessly.

A burst of magic erupted from the wand sending glittering dust over the kobolds. Each one hit the ground with a thump, passed out from the magic released from the wand.
    Sahil and Garrick quickly dispatched the knocked out kobolds.

“This wand sure is handy,” Neera said, admiring it. I wonder if I can learn the spell it uses.”

“Why if you have the rod?” Imoen asked.

“There are only a certain amount of charges a wand can hold,” Neera explained. “This one may get depleted soon.”

“I always wanted to learn magic,” Imoen mused. “Just didn’t have the patience with the scribes who taught it.”

“Ha! I know that feeling,” Neera mused. “I can teach you a few cantrips if you like, may take time to learn though.”

“Really?” Imoen mused. “That’d be great.”

While the girls were talking, Garrick was rustling through the dead kobold’s possessions looking for anything that may help them determine where their camp is.

“Anything?” Sahil asked.

“Just a few coins,” Garrick said. “We probably have to fine their lair the hard way.”

Sahil smiled and motioned to the two other girls to follow her. Neera put the wand away and Imoen moved closer to Sahil, keeping her eye out for anything that may harm the group. The tunnel branched into a “Y” and from what Sahil could tell, from the tracks, the patrol came from the south.

The group slowly headed that was down a narrow corridor. Hailix who was remaining quiet and flying high above swooped down and perched himself on Sahil’s shoulder.

“Scared?” she asked the dragon.

The dragon shook his head back and forth. “Lurue will protect us,” he said and Sahil smiled at the thought.

She remembered the dream that she had last night, and thought that the fairy dragon was right. The corridor that she they were following soon joined with another that ran east to west. Sahil bent to the ground to study the tracks.

“Which way?” Garrick asked.

Sahil couldn’t determine which way the patrol came from so she stood up and shrugged her shoulders. “I donno, west I guess,” she answerer and the four headed west down the dark corridor.

The further they headed west the warmer it became. The stone became warm to the touch and there was a slight sulphuric smell in the air. The west passage broke into a larger tunnel that ran north and south. As Sahil peeked around the corner, she saw a faint glow coming from the south.

The group slowly turned the corner and saw a large land bridge that spanned a river of molten rock.
    They stopped at the edge of the bridge. Even with the light from the lava below, it was too dark to see across it.

“Make sense for a kobold lair,” Garrick said. “Close to warmth; perhaps the miners opened up this tunnel and kobolds thought they were intruding on their territory.”

“Perhaps,” Sahil replied. “Doesn’t explain them poisoning the ore though.”

“If this is their way to their lair, the bridge is probably trapped,” Garrick said, changing the subject slightly after his theory was dismissed.

“I’m on it,” Imoen said, and slowly crept forward along the bridge.

“Be careful,” Sahil said to her friend, who turned her head and gave a wide grin.

“Never!” Imoen replied, and went back to her task of slinking along the edge of the bridge, looking for anything that maybe out of the ordinary.

Remaining in the shadows, she could see two kobold sentinels guarding the other side. Near the foot of the bridge and right in the middle laid two crude traps that the kobolds laid down.

She removed two arrows from her quiver and placed them along the edge of the trap, and slowly retreated back to her companions.

“Well?” Sahil asked as her friend returned from the shadows.

“There are two traps on the bridge,” Imoen replied, but there also two kobolds guarding the other side. I can’t disarm the traps without them seeing me.”

“Can you and Garrick take them out?” Sahil asked.

“Already ahead of you,” Imoen said and turned to Garrick. “If you can take out the one on the left, I will handle the one on the right. I laid down some arrows at the edge of the trap, so as long as you do not step over them, you will be fine.”

“Unless I take a kobold arrow to the head,” Garrick mused.

“It might be an improvement,” Neera joked.

Imoen smiled, but Garrick was less amused.

“Come on Garrick,” Imoen said. “Follow me.”

The two sulked towards the bridge and stopped right before the trap. The kobolds on the other side, saw their approach and began to yip. A third one jumped out of the shadows behind the pair of critters.

Imoen and Garrick fired almost simultaneously at their attended targets. Imoen’s kobold ducked it’s head and the arrow wizzed by, grazing the creatures cheek, while Garrick landed his shot into the leg of his target.

Both Kobolds yelped and scurried to cover to take aim from the two standing exposed on the bridge. Imoen fired a second arrow as Garrick reloaded, striking her target in the back before it got to cover. The third kobold fired and between the two and moved back down corridor tempting the pair to follow.

“Not falling for it,” Garrick said as he took another shot at the kobold whom was now shrouded in shadows. The shot missed and the kobold fired one back in kind.

“Where did the third one go?” Imoen asked as she took aim at Garrick’s target.

“Probably to get help,” the bard replied.

“Figures,” she said as she let her arrow loose, nailing the kobold in the chest.

“You didn’t need my help at all,” Garrick said smiling as the creature fell to the ground.

“I needed someone for the kobolds to fire at,” Imoen replied. “Keep watch, while I attempt to disarm this.”
    Imoen bent down and set off the trap prematurely. A bolt flew from the other side of the bridge missing Garrick head slightly.

“Whoa! Careful,” the bard chimed. “Are you trying to kill me?”

Imoen moved to the second trap, “Just stand back, it won’t hit you, easiest way to get rid of these traps.”

She bent down and set off the second trap, another bolt whizzed across the bridge clanking hard against the stone.

“Come, get Sahil and Neera,” Imoen said. “If that third kobold went for help, we better be ready.”
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Just a quick comment to say how good this is, very well done.

I'm really enjoying it even though I don't even like the current NPC's and usually avoid using them.
    At this rate, I'm going to have to change my whole outlook on Garrick, Imoen and Neera.

Just a quick comment to say how good this is, very well done.

I'm really enjoying it even though I don't even like the current NPC's and usually avoid using them.
    At this rate, I'm going to have to change my whole outlook on Garrick, Imoen and Neera.

ha! thanks. Garrick and Immy are probably my two favourite NPCs in the first game. I am however writing Garrick less naive than I picture him to be though. Glad you are enjoying it, gives me motivation to write it more often.
    Chapter 23 – Kobold Lair

The group crossed the bridge keeping to the sides and the shadows as best they could. Yip’s and growls could be heard echoing off the walls cavern making it difficult to know exactly how many there were residing deeper inside.

They reached the two dead bodies that were once guarding the door and slowly looked around for the third.

“There he is!” Garrick yelled a little too enthusiastically, pointing to the shadows further south that were tucked into a bend. The kobold was quietly aiming his bow at the group when Garrick ran forward to get into a better position to take a shot of his own.

“Garrick!” Sahil shouted at the bard who had seemed to lost his senses then motioned for Imoen to help him.

The kobold fired where Garrick use to be, the arrow clanging off the wall harmlessly. Garrick raised his bow high took a breath and aimed. The kobold scurried away as soon as the draw string released. The bolt hit the ground with a loud tink and a spark.

“Beshaba!” Garrick cursed while he began to reload his crossbow.

Imoen came around the corner and quickly fired a shot at the kobold who was setting up another shot of his own. Imoen’s arrow pierced the kobold’s scaly arm making him drop his arrow on the ground. It yipped in pain as it started feeling around for the projectile he dropped.

“I got this,” Garrick said as he fired another bolt high above the kobold’s head.

“Not when you are praying for bad luck,” Imoen replied and took another shot silencing the yipping beast.

“Well Tymora isn’t smiling on me,” Garrick said.

“You don’t need to be the hero here,” Imoen replied and motioned for Sahil and Neera to come forward.
    Garrick kicked at some rocks and smiled. “I’m just not use to this, spelunking,” he said as Neera and Sahil arrived.

“None of us are Garrick,” Sahil replied.

“I am also not use to putting my life on the line for someone else,” he continued. “I tend to entertain to make my coin.”

“No one is use to it,” Sahil said. “But don’t you think this is important?”

Garrick shrugged his shoulders. “Not if it means taking an arrow to the gullet. It isn’t worth that much.”

“These kobold’s can’t hit nothing with those arrows,” Imoen said. “You shouldn’t worry.”

“Not when I can’t hit anything either,” the bard said motioning to his crossbow.

“Perhaps you should just stick to bigger swords,” Imoen quipped playfully.
    The line brought a smile to the bard’s face.

“I will be fine,” the bard said. “I won’t let you guys down.”

Sahil nodded but was unsure of her companion’s composure. The last thing they needed was one of them running for the surface in panic.

A yip startled the group from where the last kobold fell. One of its tribe had found the dead creature and those responsible for the act. He took aim with his bow and let out a growling war cry. Garrick spun around to see the arrow hurling towards him. He side stepped out of the way but got the arrow in his thigh.

The bard stumbled backwards against the stone cursing in pain. Imoen took aim with her bow and dropped the kobold dead in a single shot.

Sahil looked to the bard who was in great discomfort from the wound.

“It’s an omen,” the bard said. “They can hit more than the walls with their arrows.”

“Hold still,” Sahil said to Garrick and exposed the wound. She pulled out the arrow and began applying pressure to the wound. She looked into Garrick’s blue eyes and saw a mixture of fear and regret.

“I had a dream last night Garrick,” Sahil continued. “Lurue promised to look after us while we were down here. It sounds funny I know, but she won’t let harm come to us while we investigate the mine.”

“Well she lied,” the bard said motioning to his leg. Sahil removed her hands and the wound was completely healed. The bard was shocked and Sahil gave him a slight smile and out stretched her hand to help him up.

“Come, before more show up,” she said while helping him to his feet. The bard smiled then played with the whole in his pantaloons frowning a bit.

“I wonder if Nashkel has a good tailor?” he mused.

The cavern broke into three separate directions but the party continued heading south. Another kobold jumped from the shadows nicking Sahil in the shield arm with a well-placed shot. She grimaced and stood in a defensive stance as the kobold’s second arrow bounced off her shield.

Garrick and Imoen took aim at the new threat dropping it before it could get a third shot off.

“You hurt?” Neera asked.

“Just merely a scratch, I should be fine,” Sahil replied, and motioned forward with her club. The cavern once again broke into three new directions. The attacking kobold’s were coming from the east yet heat radiated from the west.

The kobold’s might be attempting to lure them away from their main lair by drawing them east, chasing them deeper into the mine and deeper into their own territory. She looked west and motioned the group to head that way.

There was a small bridge covering a lava flow and a lone kobold sentry at the other side of it. Garrick raised his crossbow and fired a bolt straight through the critter’s skull. The bard’s mouth widen into a large grin as it seemed his ill luck had finally changed.

A second kobold appeared yipping at the intruders. Garrick took aim again, but shot wide. His grin dissipated with the miss shot and Imoen finishing the creature off with one of her arrows. The kobolds no longer a threat, Sahil started to cross the bridge.

“Wait,” Imoen said. “It’s trapped, stand back.”

The rogue bent down and removed a large stone from the bridge. A bolt flew across the bridge landing in the molten rock where it sunk and melted quickly.

“One more,” Imoen said. She rolled the rock she picked up across the bridge where it hit a fine trip wire half way across the small bridge. Two more bolts flew from out of crevices in the far wall and bounced helplessly on the bridge where the wire once was.

“I think it is safe now,” Imoen said, motioning for the group to cross the bridge.

The tunnel rolled north as they crossed the bridge and split in two directions. The group hugged the right hand side of the wall and came across another kobold who was feasting on some unknown small creature.
    Sahil snuck up behind it before it could get at its bow and knocked the scaly creature out with a bash from her club.

“This tunnel just seems to loop back up,” she said to her companions. She moved towards the east and saw another bridge that they must have missed at the first crossroads. Another lone sentry kobold was guarding it and Sahil charged forward.

The critter got a shot off that bounced harmlessly off her shield. With three more strides, she reached the creature and swung her club down upon its head. It’s skull cracked from the hit and slumped to the ground. The creature was dead.

She looked back to her companions who just rounding the corner where the first kobold fell. “What do you make of this place?” She asked.

“It looks like their lair,” the bard said. “Or at least where they ate, lots of bones one the ground.”
    Sahil motioned to moldy cloth tucked against the corner of one of the walls, and I think that is where the creatures sleep, but where are the rest of them?”

Neera shrugged her shoulders. “Perhaps they had to move further down the mines due to the workers breaching the walls.”

“Perhaps,” Sahil said. “Let’s backtrack to the last crossroads and head south to see what we can find.”

The group nodded and headed back across down the tunnel to where they crossed the small lava flow and headed deeper into the mines. It grew dark as the light omitting from the molten rock was no longer visible as they turned a corner and crossed a small underground pond.

The tunnels in this area seemed to have been carved more naturally, the remnants of a underground river. Cobwebs hung from stalagmites to stalactites. Sahil attempted to push though the sticky string with her shield, pulling the substance off the ceiling and wall.

A large giant spider sensed the movement on her web and began to crawl quickly towards the group.

“Incoming!” Neera warned as Sahil faced the new threat in front of her.

The spider moved quickly and was on top of Sahil before she had time to ready herself. The spider pounced as Garrick released a bolt from his crossbow sending it into the belly of the beast. It screeched in pain and Sahil was able to bat it away with her shield.

It rolled on the ground as one of Imoen’s arrows grazed it. It raised its front legs again, ready to attack Sahil again, but this time she was ready and able to deflect the creature away easily.

Both Garrick and Imoen placed more missiles into the beast, which seemed to only anger it more. I lunged forward again, this time knocking Sahil to the ground and scurried towards what seemed to be the greater threat – Imoen.

Sahil let out a small curse as she got onto her knees to see her best friend moving cautiously away from beast. Imoen was a great shot with her bow, but had little to back her up in a melee assault. The spider lunged at the girl, then fell dead as Garrick landed another shot, this time through the spiders head.

“Whew,” Imoen said. “Thanks for that.”

“Figured I owed you a couple,” the bard said, reloading his crossbow. “Are you ok, Sahil?”

“I’m fine,” she said getting to her feet and brushing the dirt off her legs. “Careful though, there maybe more.”

“Beshaba’s luck,” Garrick said. “You had to say that.”

A second spider appeared crawling quickly along the now broken web towards the group. Sahil moved to intercept the beast as Imoen and Garrick fired off a volley of arrows and bolts simultaneously. Imoen once again hit the charging beast as it reached Sahil.

The spider raised its front legs up and attempted to wrap them around Sahil who used her shield to keep the beast at bay. Another one of Imoen’s arrows hit the creature followed by one of Garrick’s bolts. Like the last spider, this one turned its attention to the bigger threat.

Sahil was able to keep the spider from moving however, by twisting her shield slightly and tangling the beast’s leg with her club and arm. The beast desperately lashed out at Sahil who was able to dodge the attack as another one of Garrick’s bolt penetrated the beast.

It screeched then slumped to the ground dead.

“Fat thing,” Garrick mused. “Wonder how many of our kobold friends it feasted on.”

“Not enough,” Sahil answered then looked around for any other threats. She didn’t see any, but saw a passage through the webs in which a kobold could fit through easily. She pointed west. “This way.”

The passage way narrowed and bottlenecked. Kobolds began to yip and charge down it, protecting their lair from those that were about to defile it. They were lying in wait for the threat of the spiders to be taken care of it seemed.

Sahil charged ahead blocking their path as Imoen and Garrick fired a volley towards their new attackers. Two of the three creatures fell immediately while the third reached and lashed out at Sahil, thrusting a crude short sword in her direction.

She was able to parry the attack easily, then ended the critters feeble attempt with a swipe of her club. Ahead, Sahil saw another small bridge crossing over a lava flow with four more kobold archers ready to take aim.

Fearing the bridge was trapped like the others, Sahil dropped into a defensive stance with her shield raised high and called for Imoen and Garrick to take out the new threat.

A volley of arrows rained down where Sahil knelt as Imoen and Garrick moved into position. One of the arrows, struck Sahil in the shoulder then exploded with a fiery burst. The heat singed her hair as she let out a cry of agony.

“So it seems they discovered how to use fire,” Garrick mused as he fired his crossbow across the bridge.

“This is no time for jokes,” Sahil snapped as another volley was fired in her direction, this time all the arrows missed. “Neera, put them to sleep before they improve their aim!”

“Right!” Neera moved closer to the other companions and drew the wand of sleep and pointed it across the bridge. It erupted and the magical energy sped its away towards the kobolds dropping them into a deep slumber.

“Gah, it hurts,” Sahil complained removing a healing salve from a pouch and applying it generously over her face and shoulder.

Imoen moved toward the small bridge attempting to see if it was trapped or not, while Garrick practiced his aim at the sleeping critters. He struck three of the four dead before Imoen surmised that the bridge was safe to cross. Drawing her short sword, she put last one out of its misery.

“Are you ok?” Neera asked Sahil again.

“Ya, just the fire from the arrow shocked me,” Sahil replied. “These kobolds can be cunning it seems. Maybe they are responsible for coming up with the poison to taint the ore.”

The group moved forward towards another underground pond. This one was larger and deeper than the last. Sahil dipped her hands into the water, feeling its warmth from lava flowing below and rinsed the dirt off her face and hands.

She was shaking a bit. The last arrow was a close call. She wondered if Garrick was right. Is this really worth their lives over? She sighed and looked up. Garrick was standing above her, smiling.

“Life is glorious,” he said outstretching his hand to help her up. She smiled and pondered what the bard meant with the comment. Was he aware of how she was feeling at this moment? She accepted his hand and got to her feet.

“Lurue teaches that, I believe,” the bard continued. “This excitement of tracking down a tribe of evil creatures up to nothing good while knowing, that once the job is complete bards will sing tales about it in taverns for months. Well one bard at least.”

Sahil let out a short laugh. “As long as you embellish some of it, I suppose it could be a good tale.”

“Guys,” Imoen said, interrupting their conversation. “I think I found something.”

The two looked over to where Imoen and Neera were now standing. A large entrance way was concealed behind a stone wall.

“Careful, the floor is heavily trapped in front of it,” she said. “I think we have found where the kobold’s are coming from.”

~
    one hundred and frickin one pages. The battle with Mulahey next
    Chapter 24 – Tied Together

The doorway led to a long narrow passage carved from the rock, not by mining tools, but by the kobold’s hands. It seemed to have been dug on purpose as it led straight from one underground passage to another. Trickling water could be heard in the distance, as the group slowly crept through the darkness.
    It was discovered that the passage way opened up to a larger cavern, however, how the tunnel was shaped, it was hard to see if anything awaited them inside.

“Can you scout ahead Immy?” Sahil asked her friend quietly, and in turn, the girl nodded her head.
    Imoen crept along the shadows around the corner to see a large underground lake with a narrow earthen bridge spanning it. On the other side, kobold’s laid in wait, eying the passageway for any intruders. Behind them, was a large unnatural stone cave, built from the rocks the kobolds dug out from the mine.

Imoen turned and held up three fingers to the party, then placed her hands together and place them on her side cheek to mimic someone sleeping. Neera nodded her head and moved forward. Hiding behind the wall, she let a bolt of magical energy fly from her magic wand.

Imoen watched as two of the three kobolds fell down asleep. The third looked at its companions and started to yip in frustration. Imoen quickly crossed the bridge in its confusion and found a new shadow to conceal herself in.

The creature began jumping around in a panic, it would soon attract attention from anything that may be in the cave. Imoen drew out her short sword and waited for the creature to turn its back to her. She wrapped her hand around the creature’s mouth to prevent it from yipping further, then drove her blade deep into its back. It slumped to the ground dead.

Imoen motioned to Neera that the kobold’s were no longer a threat, then proceeded to slit the other two’s throats while her friends crossed the bridge.

“You scare me sometimes,” Sahil said to her friend after witnessing the dead kobolds.

“I aim to please,” Imoen said while doing a little curtsy.

Garrick moved to the cave door and peered inside. It looked bigger than it was. He motioned the others to come closer. A lone kobold sentry was standing by the door. He removed his blade and stabbed it in the back as efficiently as Imoen did.

The group quietly entered the cave which seemed to be separated into three sections. The southern section was adorned with purple silk curtains and large Calimport carpets. Entranced by the expensiveness that the room portrayed, Sahil slowly walked into it followed by her friends.

A half-orc was sitting on a large throne, almost half asleep. He looked up to see the group approached, then snorted in startlement.

“What? How’d you get in here?” he muttered raising from his throne to confront the intruders. He was dressed in heavy chain and carried a mace and shield which bared the insignia of Cyric, God of strife and lies.

“Tazok must have dispatched you,” the orc grunted. “And my traitorous kobolds let you pass, didn’t they? I knew I could not trust them! Armed as such, you have obviously been sent to kill me! By Cyric, not a measure or ore leaves these mines unspoiled, and I am still to be executed?! I’ll not lose my head over this!”

“No one sent us,” Sahil replied. “But your head is in no less danger! Reveal your treachery, and you can keep your head.”

The half-orc took a step back and then grinned. “Tazok didn’t send thee? Then thou art dead. Help, my minions, HEEELLLPPP!”

Skeletons and kobolds poured pour out of the other two rooms and descended towards companions. The half-orc began to chant a prayer to his god as Imoen and Garrick took aim with their respective weapons. Hailix flew out of Sahil’s pack to confront the first skeleton. He seemed to be using magic of his own as his flapping wings made it appear like there was more than one of him.

“Oh no you don’t,” Neera threatened as she outstretched her hand and sent a magical bolt hurling towards the half-orc. It hit him straight in the chest making him lose his concentration. His spell fizzled as Sahil started a prayer of her own to Lurue. She pointed at the half-orc making him fall down, drowsiness over coming him.

“Neera,” Sahil said to grab the attention of the mage. “Put the kobolds to sleep!”

“Right!” she replied and removed her wand and turned to help the little dragon. She fired off a bolt knocking all the living creatures to the ground.

Imoen and Garrick pelted the prone cleric with missile weapons as he stirred awake and got to his knees.

“I yield, I yield to thee!” he shouted. “Accept my surrender!”

Sahil lowered her stance as Garrick and Imoen held their aim on the evil cleric. Neera and Hailix were still preoccupied with the walking bones to notice the surrender.

“As well you should,” Sahil snapped. “Tell us what has been happening here, and you may yet live!”

“I thank thee for thy mercy!” he said getting to his feet. Out of breath, “There in the chest are all my letters. Take them and leave me be. I will bother you no more.”

Garrick slowly made his way over to the chest and opened it.

The half-orc shook his head, as if coming back to his senses. “I’ll have your skulls for coming here!” he roared. “You’ll ruin everything!”

He took a swing at Sahil, and Imoen released her arrow missing, surprised at the turn of events. More skeletons and kobold’s descended into the room, and Hailix and Neera did their best to hold them off.

Garrick turned and fired his crossbow towards the cleric missing him. Beshaba’s luck seemed to return to him as the half-orc started chanting again.

Sahil took a swing with her club, hitting the shield of her assailant as he began another, shorter chant to his God, Cyric. She felt the evil magic pour over her soul as she took another swing in panic. A voice in her head, sooth and calming, told her that she was being protected, and the corruptness washed away.

Sahil let out a grin as the half orc began another chant. She swung her club again, missing as both of Imoen’s and Garrick’s missiles pinged helplessly off of the plate armour.

The half-orc finished his chant and once again Sahil felt the evil corruption wash over her, then slowly dissipate. Neera however, wasn’t as lucky as the spell held her firmly in place. Hailix did his best to draw the skeleton and kobold attacks away from the now helpless mage.

“Use this,” a voice said inside of Sahil’s head, and slowly a magical club materialized in her hand. She swung hard at the half-orc’s head cracking his jaw as he began another chant.

The hit dazed him, and he once again began to panic. He started to back away deeper in the room, deflecting any swing Sahil sent his way, however, it took all of his energy to do so. In the back of his mind, he knew it would all be over soon.

His back against the wall and nowhere else to flee, Imoen fired an arrow that pierced through the half-orcs neck. He slowly slid down the wall, blood trickling from his mouth and nose. The evil cleric was dead.

The three companions turned their attention to the fairy dragon and helpless mage who was holding off the hoard of skeltons and scaly creatures. Hailix was flying high above their heads and swooping down in desperate attempts to knock off either the skeleton’s limbs or the kobold’s weapons.

Imoen drew her short sword and entered into the fray, attacking the closest kobold while Sahil did the same with her magical club. Garrick stood in the distance taking pot shots with his crossbow at those the girls could not reach.

(then hailix dies, killing sahil in the process over and over again)

The skeletons claw at Sahil as she puts herself in between them and Neera. They rip the flesh from her arms as she swings down, bashing their bodies into an explosion of bones.

A kobold who was just about to take a swing at her took a bolt to the chest sending him flying back into another walking corpse. It shatters upon the impact, impaling the poor creature with a rib bone.

Imoen take out two of the kobold’s with quick thrusts of her sword sending them to the ground.

Another skeleton claws Sahil, tearing her leather armour enough for a kobold to sink a dagger into her exposed flesh. Clenching her teeth, she bashes the kobold over the head knocking it out while Hailix removes the head from the skeleton.

It becomes a blur as Sahil swings her magical club, watching the bones break apart with each swing. She feels her blood pouring out of her, raging her on as she steps deeper into the fray. Soon she is just surrounded by bones and corpses. Her magical club disappears and her regular one returns.

Imoen slumped against the wall out of breath but uninjured and Neera finally gets released from the magic holding her. She looks at Sahil and the destruction she caused.

“Are… are you ok?” she seemed to be asking that a lot of Sahil today.

Sahil wipes some blood away from her mouth and nods. Adrenaline was masking the pain she should be feeling. She strides over to the large chest that the half-orc pointed to and opened it up. A couple of healing salves, potions and scrolls rested upon a pile of gold coins as well as two swords that seemed to be magical.

She attempted to pick up one of the swords, but it seemed too heavy for her to lift. She moved her attention over to the scrolls and started to unravel them one by one. They were magical scrolls, and not what she was looking for. She closed the chest.

Garrick was hovering over the dead orcs body, searching his possessions. He removed two scrolls from an inside pocket and opened them up. The bard began to grin.

“What did you find?” Sahil asked.

“A name for our dead friend,” Garrick responded, then read the first letter out loud:

“My servant, Mulahey,

“Your progress in disrupting the flow of iron ore does not go as well as it should. How stupid can you be to allow your kobolds to murder the miners?! With your presence revealed, you should be wary of enemies sent to stop your operation.

“Your task is a very simple one; if you continue to show that you can’t do the job, you will be replaced. I will not send the kobolds you have requested as I need all the troops I possess to stop the flow of iron into the region. With this message I have sent more of the mineral poison that you require.

“If you have any problems then send a message to my new contact in Beregost. His name is Tranzig, and he’ll be staying at Feldepost’s Inn.

“Signed Tazok.”

“Well that Tazok fellow pretty much called it,” Imoen said after the letter was read.

“What does the other letter say,” Neera asked the bard.

“Pretty much the same thing,” the bard replied. “I sent you kobold’s and poison. Poison the ore. . . what’s this? ‘My superiors have recently hired on the services of the Blacktalon and Chill mercenaries. With these soldiers at my disposal, I should be able to destroy any iron caravans entering the region from the south and east.”

“Superiors?” Sahil questioned.

“What are the Chill and Blacktalon?” Imoen asked.

“The Blacktalon are a mercenary group out of Iriaebor,” the bard replied. “Very scrupulous, and expensive from what I know. Led by Taurgosz “Tenhammer.” Got the nickname after killing ten men with a single swing from his hammer.

“The Chill, sadly, I have never heard of though,” the bard finished.

“This is bigger than this mine then,” Sahil said. “The raids on the roads are connected and not done cheaply as you say, what is the purpose of all this?”

Garrick shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. We should return with what we have, perhaps the mayor or even Khalid and Jaheira would have more inside knowledge.”

“Or this man, Tranzig,” Neera replied. “If he is still in Beregost.”

“Hello?” a voice called out from another room. “If anyone is still alive and less hostile I would surely like to be freed from this doom I currently am in.”

The four companions looked at each baffled. They slowly crept out of the throne room and into its adjoining room. There in the middle of the room, laid an elf dressed in purple robes and tied to the ground.

“Oh finally,” he said as group entered the room. Sahil moved quickly to his side and untied him.

“I thank you for my freedom friends, for I have languished in these dismal vaults for too long,” he said rubbing his wrists where the rope held him down. “It was unbearable, waking each morn to the mud and rock instead of the rising sun.”

He got to his feet and brushed the dirt off of his robes and continued: “I am Xan, a Greycloak of Evereska, and as proficient in the ways of magic as any man can be. If you be enemies of Mulahey, I would join your cause, hopeless though it is.”

“How’d you come to be trapped in this place,” Imoen questioned.

“Alas, I was sent to investigate the strange goings-on about this area and I landed caged for seemingly hopeless weeks on end. I have not seen the sun almost as long as I have not seen my home.”

“We can see you out of the mines if you wish,” Sahil replied. “And another pair of hands can only help, especially when they wield powerful magic.”

The mages lets out a long exaggerated sigh. “I thank you. However ineffective our actions be, I shall not rest until I have made payment to you.

“If you have searched through Mulahey’s treasure, you may have found a sword among his documents. The sword is a moonblade, and it is my most valued possession.”

“It is still in the chest,” Sahil replied. ‘I couldn’t lift it.”

“Figures the blade would be stubborn,” the elf said, walking into Mulahey’s room and empting the chest. He pulls out the Moonblade last, as he does so, a bluish fire envelopes the blade.

“Shall we leave this dreaded place then?” he said to his newly acquired friends.

“Yes,” Sahil said. “I’ve had enough of this dampness myself. The sun would be a nice sight to see.”
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Just finished Nashkel myself.

Not nearly as dramatic though. Left it a bit and did it when everybody was about level 4 because my last run through at level 1/2, wasn't fun, just frustrating.

I like the Garrick dependebility issues, well written. There's a reason nobody takes him along, Sahil may find this out to her cost.
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    Great stuff @deltago, have you duelled to a cleric by chance ?
    Sahil dualled to cleric before entering the mines after hitting 2 levels of Beastmaster (was always my intention). I will throw up her character sheet before the next update so everyone following has a better look at her stats.
    Chapter 25 – Daylight

Garrick and Imoen looted the bodies of the dead kobold’s and that of Mulahey as Xan sorted through his personal belongings. Sahil sat on the throne and contemplated their next move. She was sore, the adrenaline that was pumping through her body was beginning to wear off, and pain was slowly creeping through her body.

Sahil took a deep sigh and placed her hands on her head. A soft voice inside began to comfort her and the pain slowly resided. She opened her eyes and looked at Garrick pulling the boots off of Mulahey.

“Do you have to do that,” Sahil asked. “Can you not just leave the dead alone?”

“The boots are magical,” Garrick said. “I don’t know what powers they possess but they are. You can’t leave magical items such as this on a rotting corpse. It does them no justice.”

Sahil rolled her eyes.

“It is also better that they are being used for a good purpose, rather than helping cripple the region,” the bard continued. “Like this.”

Garrick got to his feet and outstretched his hands. In between his thumb and finger was a small golden band with a pearl stone in the center. Sahil took the ring from Garrick and placed it in her palm.

“What is it?”

“A ring,” Garrick started. “It is an Honorary Ring of Sune. They are only given out to faithful priests of Sune who demonstrated actions of astounding integrity and kindness. Something tells me our friend here wasn’t the honorary reciepiant of the ring.”

Sahil looked down at the ring and attempted to picture who the ring belonged too and how it ended up in the hands of a cleric of Cyric. She played with the ring in her hand, looking for any inscriptions or evidence of who the ring actually belonged too. There was none.

“I think you should keep it,” Garrick said to her. “I think you have demonstrated astounding kindness here by helping the village rid the world of this buffoon.”

Sahil laughed at the thought and put the ring on and smiled. A sense of understanding came to her, as if she was closer to Lurue than she thought before. The bard was right. An item like this shouldn’t be left lying around. She would honour the original owner of the ring through her actions, whomever they might have been.

Garrick smiled at her as she placed the ring on her finger and kept it there. “Great,” he said. “You get the ring, I get the boots, all is fair.”

“Hey! What do I get?” Imoen pouted.

“If insignificant babbles are your concern, you may take this blade that was in the chest with my possessions,” Xan said. “It’s not like it will do you much good though, but you may find it practical.”

Xan slid the blade over to Imoen who inspected it carefully. She found it lighter, yet more durable than the blade she was currently using. It was much sharper too.

“Thanks Xan,” Imoen said cheerfully.

“Think nothing of it,” Xan replied.

“I am feeling left out here you know,” Neera stated. “I know you all are doing me a favour by allowing me to travel with you, but I did help, some what.”

The elven mage sighed. “I may be able to allow you to use some of my scrolls that I think are of little importance and maybe even teach you a spell or two, but not here. We should really get to the surface first where the clean air can blow away the stench that is covering me.”

Sahil got off of the throne and nodded to the elf. They have wasted enough time in the cavern and should return to the surface to let the mayor know what was plaguing the mines and that is no longer a threat.

The group retreated the way that they came, making their way through the mine and past the bodies of miners and kobolds alike. When they reached the entrance to the surface, Xan paused and took a deep sigh.

“What’s a matter?” Neera asked.

“The sun is setting, I won’t get to see it tonight,” the elf replied.

“Well there are always the stars,” she replied.

“It’s cloudy.”

“Well find something, it’s better than the cave,” Imoen said.

“Perhaps,” the elf replied. “Were all doomed anyway, what’s the point?”

“Man, I thought elven arses were supposed to be clean, but something must be stuck up yours,” Imoen stated, rather coarsely.

“Imoen!” Sahil exclaimed.

“Well he doesn’t need to be a downer,” Imoen explained.

“He was tied up for who knows how long down there,” Sahil said. “He has a right to be a little upset.”

“How long were you tied down there anyway,” Garrick asked the elf.

“A day,” Xan replied.

Sahil shook her head. “Come on,” she said. “There’s Emerson.”

She walked over to the master of the mines who was still studying his clipboard and parchment. He hardly saw the group approach and it wasn’t until Sahil cleared her throat that the man looked up.

“Well, bless my soul, you made it back alive,” Emerson said after he noticed their approach.

“I think we solved the problem in the mines,” she said to him, “It was kobold’s poisoning the ore through direction of a cleric of Cyric.”

“Well that is news!” The master of the mines exclaimed. “If you don’t mind me saying, you’re about the most beautiful sight I’ve seen in weeks! I’ll be tellin’ the men to get back to work, we’ve got ore to mine!

“Still can’t ship it for fear of bandits though,” he mused mostly to himself, “but that ain’t my problem. Best you tell the mayor of what you did here, ‘cuz he’ll likely give you a reward of some kind.”

“Thanks Emerson, we’ll let you get back to work,” Sahil said.

The man nodded and grinned, then called over some miners who were lolling about. The group headed back up out of the pits and headed towards the town of Nashkel to claim their just reward.
    so I am having a tougher time with Nimbul than I thought I would. I'll get the next chapter up once I defeat him.
    Chapter 26 – The Bard's Hymn

Sahil ached with each step she took. The fight with Mulahey had worn her down, and her wounds were starting to bother her. She looked to Garrick who seemed to also show signs of fatigue from the fight. He was limping slightly, using the large two-handed sword to walk.

The others seemed fine Neera and Imoen stayed away from the close combat so they didn’t sustain any injuries. Xan, however seemed a little slow on his feet. She couldn’t tell if he was hurting from sitting on the hard floor for the entire day, or just being melodramatic.

She just wanted to talk to the mayor then head to the inn for a rest. The last couple of days had been hectic on her, and as much as she accomplished, she had suffered a lot as well.

The group slowly made its way past the town’s garrison, towards the old church of Helm. There, the man in orange, smiled and greeted them.

“Hey ya,” he said. “I once knew this guy named Dilby. He threw rocks at me, too. Are you gonna throw rocks at me?”

“Listen,” Sahil started. “Leave us alone, and I promise we won’t throw rocks at you.”

The man just smiled, as Sahil pushed by towards the mayor who was waiting near the churches gate. He smiled as the five of them approached.

“You have returned!” He said enthusiastically. “It would seem I was right to trust you. The town thanks you wholeheartedly, and is pleased to give you the proper reward.”

The mayor motions to another man that was standing nearby, a pudgy looking fellow in yellow, who hastily hands a large sac of coin over to Garrick, whom smiles in return. The man does an awkward bow, and returns to his station by the garrison.

“Please take this gold for your efforts. It is a small fortune by anyone’s standards. Thank you again,” the mayor finishes and shakes Sahil’s hand.

“Please excuse us sir,” Sahil said. “We’re tired from the mines, we need to retreat to the inn for some much needed rest.”

“But of course,” the mayor said. “As long as you are here, the stay is on the Nashkel. You’ve done us a great service.”

Sahil nodded and started walking towards the inn.

“Nine hundred gold!” Imoen said in a laugh. “That’s a lot. What are we going to do with it all?”

“Get drunk first,” Garrick said.

The mayor laughed and walked away from the group, while the man in orange reappeared.

“What about now?” he said.

“That’s it,” Imoen said and turned around and decked him.

The man fell to the ground and began to cry. He got to his knees and crawled away bawling. Sahil turned to her friend and gave her a cold stare.

“What?” Imoen said sheepishly. “You said we would if he bothered us again.”

“I was bluffing,” Sahil replied.

“Should I go apologize?”

Sahil thought on it for a second and then said, “No, he fine. Let’s just get some rest.”

The group headed towards the inn again. Sahil thought of soft pillows and warm woolen blankets. Small comforts she could afford with the rest. An Amish patrol pushed by the group as the inn came into sight. There a man dressed in green and black stood by the door. He saw the group coming and smiled.

“I am death come for thee,” he said. “Surrender, and thy passage shall be… quicker.”

Sahil was slightly confused. She knew the carnival was in town and thought the man to be one of the actors – until she spotted the blade in his hand.

“What?” she said confused. “I’m not surrendering to anything!”

“Struggle if you must, dead one,” he replied. “I do not mind working for my money. Why Nimbul has been hired to deal with the likes of you, I’ll never know.”

“He’s an assassin!” Garrick said, raising his crossbow. “Kill him!”

The Amish patrol seeing the threat, began firing arrows at the group’s assailant who began casting a spell. The group itself was still too far away from the assailant to attack him with melee weapons, so Garrick and Imoen began to aim with their bows.

“We’re all doomed!” Xan shouted and ran back, tucking himself behind the community store.
    Sahil turned seeming the elf flee.

“Figures,” she said. “Neera, try putting him to sleep before he finishes the spell.”

The wild mage nodded, and removed the wand from her belt and began to aim. When Sahil turned back to face the Nimbul however, there was five of him. The wand shot off, but didn’t affect the man.

“That didn’t work,” Neera stated and pulled another wand from her belt.

The man practicing martial arts for the crowd ran to aid the group. He struck out at one of the images making it disappear in the process. Sahil moved closer, her club and shield in hand hoping to knock some sense into the arrogant assassin.

Imoen’s and Garrick’s missiles helplessly went wide. Garrick cursed his luck again, and drew his short sword and charge the man while he began casting another spell.

Neera, let a spark go from the wand she was now holding and magic bolt hissed its way towards the Nimbul. It hit him full in the chest but not before he got his finished his spell.

Sahil felt a fear wash over her, as if Xan’s words were ringing true. They were all doomed from this assassin. She looked over to Garrick, who’s eyes widen and lip trembled. He began to run, the magical fear had taken over him.

Sahil cursed as she lunged at another image of the man making it dissipate. Imoen who is usually a good shot, kept firing her arrows wide of the man, as if there was some other magical force preventing her from aiming correctly. Nimbul chuckled in amusement at his attackers’ follies.

Neera fired another spark from the magic wand hitting the last image of the assassin. With all the images gone, an Amnish soldier took careful aim at Nimbul and put an arrow, deep in his back.

The man just laughed and turned his attention to Garrick who was running along the stream away from the fight. He let out three magical bolts of energy, each striking the bard in the back. Garrick screamed in pain and fell face first down into the rocks.

Sahil gritted her teeth and swung hard at the assassin who blocked the attack with his hand. She heard a crunch of finger bones. The attack did little damage, but he would not be able to cast any other spells.

The assassin gritted his teeth as he pulled his blade with his other hand and swung violently at Sahil. She lept back as the monk who came and joined the fight kicked out Nimbul’s legs, toppling him to the ground.

Sahil stood over the assassin and brought her club down upon his head, knocking him out. Anger washed over her as she pummelled the helpless assassin again cracking his skull, breaking his nose and jaw. She kept violently swinging past the man’s death until Imoen grabbed her arm.

“He’s dead,” her best friend said. Sahil fell to her knees and turned and wept.

“You should not make a habit of picking fights in the street, my friend,” the monk said. “Be careful when inviting danger into your life, for it comes all too willingly.”

Sahil sneered in anger. She didn’t invite this danger into her life. It was thrusted upon her. This man knew little of her plight.

She turned to where Garrick fell. Neera was already there, his body was limp and not moving.

“Who are you to claim to know what I invite into my life,” Sahil shot back at the man while got to her feet and moved towards Garrick’s body.

“My name is Raasad,” the monk said calmly. “I am merely demonstrating some of the ways in which we Sun Soul monks reflect our spiritual light through physical activity.”

Sahil rolled her eyes at the monks naïve, in the face of loss. She got to Garrick and check for signs of life. He wasn’t breathing.

“May I tell you more about the Order of the Sun Soul?” the monk asked.

“No!” Sahil said. “I don’t have time for this. We need to get him to a temple.”

“I see,” the monk said. “May Selune bless you on your travels.”

Sahil sneered again as Neera and her lifted Garrick to his feet as they dragged him back to the temple. Imoen pushed open the large doors as they group brought the man into the building.

The priest looked up, “I heard a commotion outside is everything ok?”

“No, help us please,” Neera said.

The two of them laid the body down onto the marbled floor as the priest came quickly over. He placed his hands upon Garrick’s chest and began to chant softly. Neera and Sahil moved back away from the priest as Xan slinked into the church.

The priest’s hands began to glow as he chanted louder. Garrick’s body however still laid limp. The priest looked up at the girls and shook his head sorrowfully.

Neera turned away and placed her head into Sahil’s shoulder and began to sob.

Garrick was dead.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    R.I.P. Garrick
    Chapter 27 - Moonlit Road

The bright moon light pierced through the drapes that clung to window above where Sahil rested her head. She was clutching the smelly boots that Garrick took from the dead cleric close to her chest and sobbing quietly to herself.

So much death had happened around her in the last few days since she left Candlekeep. Even in her cloistered home on the last day she had to strike a man down in defence. Since that man, four others have attempted to kill her, and she still does not know why.

Gorion died in an attempt to save her. His body probably still rotting in the clearing as scavengers picked at his decaying flesh. She shuttered at the thought, of leaving him. She never had time to mourn the man that raised her, now she is mourning a man she just met who died a similar fate.

She thought of Garrick, and how she didn’t even know where he was from. She thought of how much she mistrusted him, and yet, he died fighting by her side against an assailant that was only after her. He was everything she strived to be, a person travelling the world experiencing new opportunities and adventure on a whim. Meeting new people and righting wrongs from kobolds killing miners, to insane necromancers hiding in the woods. He was full of joy and happiness and a care-free naivety.

And now it was snuffed out because of her; because of the people hunting her. How many more people must die because of her? Neera? Imoen? Some random guard with a wife and child attempting to support them?

She clutched the boots tighter to her chest. Are their lives worth this she thought and sobbed some more.

She thought of leaving the temple, where Garrick’s body laid. The money they had earned from clearing the mines, from being the heroes, now being used to bury one of them in the graveyard in front. A small gesture of thanks the village provided them as only locals and followers of Helm were allowed to be buried there. Imoen, who was closer to Garrick than anyone else, came up with the words for the stone:

“Beneath this stone, a lump of clay
    Lies Garrick the young
    Who on the twenty-third of Mirtul
    Began to hold his tongue”

Sahil thought on the meaning of the prose her friend gave her. It was too witty for Imoen to think of by herself, so perhaps Garrick told her what to write on one of their hunting trips. Did the bard really think that far ahead though? Did he know any day could be his last?

Garrick wasn’t afraid of life, he lived it. Sahil respected that, she pushed the boots from her chest and let out a sigh and thought, he should still be alive.

She didn’t want to see anyone else she cared about die. She wouldn’t be able to live with herself if another one of her friends sacrificed themselves for her. She wiped the tears from her eyes, placed the boots gently down upon the floor by the bed and stood up.

She peered out the window into the moonlit road, it was quiet and peaceful. No one was around. She grabbed her bag, and slowly snuck out the room. Leaving her companions behind, she let the road take her away to where ever it led.