Skip to content

What is included?

luddiluddi Member Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hey, I really cant figure out what baldurs gate ee is. Is it only bg 1 or also bg2 and tob?

Comments

• KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    It's Baldur's Gate and the expansion. BGE2 will include ToB.
  • luddiluddi Member Posts: 10
    Wow then they are a bunch of greedy bas*****. I bought all bg games, and after years i bought the complete compilation with icewind dale. And now they want 20(!!!) bucks for the first game, and they dont even give it to you cheaper if you got the original. After all its not even a remake. These peope are pissing on bg, it seems they just care for fast money without too much brain use.
  • SirrionSirrion Member Posts: 20
    lol
    but tbh i also thought it included bg2 and tob at first

as for the price, the version without the extra content (just the bugfixing and updating of the engine afaik), costs the same as the gog version (10$), so you still get more bg for your money compared to whats currently available, if you buy it

whether or not you think is worth it is another matter, but im sure there are plenty reasons why you dont get a discount if you own the original

and if they are pissing on anyone, its certainly not bg, but the consumer

personally i cant complain :)
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    luddi said:

Hey, I really cant figure out what baldurs gate ee is. Is it only bg 1 or also bg2 and tob?

I had the same issue when I first entered the forums. But the FAQs and helpful staff here set me stright. BG:EE is BG1 + some new content using the TOB game engine and with most of the Code revamped to be more efficient, and debugged. And a new GUI interface to replace the old one to allow better control and look nicer at higher res on bigger screens. BG2:EE will be released next year (2013)

• immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    @luddi
    relax. maybe take an economics course and a couple of business classes along with maybe some accounting. $20 is a decent price for reworking the entire game from the ground up....someone has to pay for the licensing, marketing and the tens of thousands of man hours of coding work.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Also, the $10 version is for tablets. To my knowledge, you can't play the Gog.com version on a tablet. I'm not a tablet user myself, but for people who are, I think that the ability to play BG anywhere they go on their easily portable tablet is a huge incentive to buy.

And I, too, have pre-ordered. I would do it just to support the idea of new attention to the masterpiece that is Baldur's Gate.
    immagikmanEnialusMeliamneXylina
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    They arent releasing the game like it was released 15 years ago... they have reworked it with a whole teams of programmer developers and writter, they have to pay them you know
    immagikman
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2012
    I thought this would a good threat to voice my concern about BGEE.

I really hope that the game is indeed enhanced, but at the same time; I hope that when I go to play the game on day 1, that it's not completely and utterly different from the original. Enhanced is a great word for what I hope the game is going to be, changed is the last word I want to use when I start playing.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    I am continually surprised by the level of tolerance, patience and politeness this forum extends to individuals i would beat down and piss on in real life. It might have raised my view of human kind some if i weren't so full of hate. Good job you.
    immagikman
    Sirrion said:

lol
    but tbh i also thought it included bg2 and tob at first

as for the price, the version without the extra content (just the bugfixing and updating of the engine afaik), costs the same as the gog version (10$), so you still get more bg for your money compared to whats currently available, if you buy it

whether or not you think is worth it is another matter, but im sure there are plenty reasons why you dont get a discount if you own the original

and if they are pissing on anyone, its certainly not bg, but the consumer

personally i cant complain :)

Well 10 bucks sound to me like a fair price. They can stick their additional content and the dlcs up their asses. Only problem is that you dont get it without this crap for pc and mac. For me there are two ways, you can enhance a version but then dont touch the content. Or you do a remake, and you can do things storywise on your own. But this is just a cheap way to get an easy port for dlcs.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    luddi said:

Wow then they are a bunch of greedy bas*****. I bought all bg games, and after years i bought the complete compilation with icewind dale. And now they want 20(!!!) bucks for the first game, and they dont even give it to you cheaper if you got the original. After all its not even a remake. These peope are pissing on bg, it seems they just care for fast money without too much brain use.

There are contractual, time, and budget limitations. I would recommend you do some homework on that by reading the 'List of Things That Have Been Announced' and 'List of Things That Cannot Be Done' threads. That's the real world asserting itself upon your ideal vision of what someone else should do for you, and why.

There's a host of improvements being offered in the EEs that cumulatively make this an excellent value for a fair price. Moreover, success of the venture will reinvigorate the modding community (we should see more custom mod production) and allow for creation of BG3.

We're really not talking a lot of money here. $40 bucks for entertainment of this value is nothing.
    immagikman
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175

Ready the acid. I smell trolls.

Don't worry, we stocked up on arrows of fire.

Seriously, the amount of trolling on these forums is worse than D'Arnise Keep.

I wish I could afford to buy a gift copy for every troll that pops up. (All things considered, it's more like a game of Whack-a-Troll, and I'd go broke again in no time.)
    immagikman
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175

I thought this would a good threat to voice my concern about BGEE.

I really hope that the game is indeed enhanced, but at the same time; I hope that when I go to play the game on day 1, that it's not completely and utterly different from the original. Enhanced is a great word for what I hope the game is going to be, changed is the last word I want to use when I start playing.

Then you should be pleasantly surprised. The improved Infinity engine in ToB will be applied to BG1/TotSC, making for better gameplay (and more options at character gen). And tons of bug fixes! And new NPCs and areas! But overall, it'll be the same story that you fondly remember. (They're also contractually prohibited from altering any original content that isn't a bug or gameplay issue.) (Actually, it may be a little different from the get-go, as it's been mentioned they're putting in a new tutorial. No idea how that's going to work yet. Just be advised.)

FIFTEEN DAYS, people! :)

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Srsly guys this $20 stuff makes you sound cheap. I don't live in a particularly good country and I'm fine with the price.
    immagikman

Srsly guys this $20 stuff makes you sound cheap. I don't live in a particularly good country and I'm fine with the price.

They just implemented some mods and did a bit of bug fixing, then you add a shitty hole, call it arena and you want 20$ for it? Cmon, this is not worth it. You can also play the original one with mods and you get a lot of these "changes".

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    luddi said:

They just implemented some mods and did a bit of bug fixing, then you add a shitty hole, call it arena and you want 20$ for it? Cmon, this is not worth it. You can also play the original one with mods and you get a lot of these "changes".

Show me a mod that let's me play it on my iPad.
    EnialusMeliamne
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    luddi said:

You can also play the original one with mods and you get a lot of these "changes".

You can still do that.

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    edited September 2012
    luddi said:

Yeah, I also think its not a lot but I like that well have official support for the game. Its worth it for me.

Edit: I forgot, if you like mods having a clean code helps mod creators.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    I've bought several copies of this game in the past, and will be buying this iteration on several fronts. The modding community has done wonderful things to make the original game more enjoyable (not that I didnt enjoy the unmodded one, because I did), and This iteration will offer an easier modding capability as well. I'm very thankful that Beamdog's team is revamping this, and will gladly contribute funds so that they can continue forth.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Please people do not feed the Trolls. We are trying to have a Troll-free area here.
    Rush_that_speaksGodKaiserHellFake_Sketchimmagikman
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    luddi, unless you're just having some fun trolling here (and it's just an internet forum about a game, so I could care less if that's how you get your jollies), that's a bit cynical.

Mainly, this business venture is a cost-effective way for Beamdog to get an opportunity to get BG3 made.

But even just for this game itself, I think we need to see how the improvements actually work out. If the game actually looks noticeably better visually, runs fast as greased lightning (including on iPad), and an official mod manager gets released shortly after release, that is most definitely worth $18 to fans who love this game. The three new NPCs/quests and Black Pits adventure are just icing on the cake, as far as I'm concerned.
    Sceptenar said:

luddi said:

Open your eyes! I talked about the pc/mac version. 10$ for this game on the ipad is totally fine for me. Why cant they just give the pc users the same. I dont need additional skins and sounds/chars. Just let the people decide if this stuff is worth 10 bucks for them. Hate this micro payment shit.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Also, the new characters and new quests, which in total add up to almost fifteen hours of content, are all being written by Dave Gross, who is a great writer. There might be plenty of mods out there that add NPCs and quests, but the writing in them isn't going to be at the same level as someone who's already been vetted in the industry.

I think some people might also be underestimating the amount of work involved. $10 for the vanilla game completely overhauled on the engine-side is a steal. $20 for that, plus three excellent new NPCs and their respective quests, is a better value than any other "DLC money-grab" you'll find out there.
    mlnevese
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    luddi said:

Sceptenar said:

luddi said:

Open your eyes! I talked about the pc/mac version. 10$ for this game on the ipad is totally fine for me. Why cant they just give the pc users the same. I dont need additional skins and sounds/chars. Just let the people decide if this stuff is worth 10 bucks for them. Hate this micro payment shit.

Allright. Show me a mod that let's me play it on my iPad with my friends who have PCs and Macs, while letting me keep my savegames in the cloud and play them seamlessly across all available platforms.
    EnialusMeliamneLemernis
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    Sir, show me a mod with Sam Hulick's music. When I listen to his "I Was Lost Without You" from Mass Effect 3 I can't help myself from crying - and it's priceless ;p

Sir, show me a mod with Sam Hulick's music. When I listen to his "I Was Lost Without You" from Mass Effect 3 I can't help myself from crying - and it's priceless ;p

No doubt, he done a great job in me3! But the music from the original game stays untouched. Hes only doing the new dlcs. And as I said anyone should have the option to decide wether they want them or not(like in the ipad edition).

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's worth noting that the reduced price for the iPad (without the new content) is a discount, not the "base price". They excluded some of the new content as a justification to reduce the price to $10 to make it more marketable for an app-based platform. The PC and Mac platforms are less "app-heavy" and more "game-heavy", and $20 is about average for a new indie game, or an old AAA game. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is kind of both. It's a new release, from an indie developer, of an old AAA game. It's been substantailly enhanced (in more ways than the modding community could have pulled off), and some new content has been added, and the $20 price tag reflects the amount of work required to get it done, and to make it viable.