Skip to content

Tabletop...

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
I'm trying to get a tabletop game going with some of my friends, but I don't have any books or anything, so I'm kinda making this up as I go along. I figure even if I had the proper books, I'd pedantically change so many rules it wouldn't matter that I had them in the first place. I'm basically making my own role playing game(drawing maps, making classes and a whole pantheon of gods) but there's still a few things I'd like to keep from D&D.
Anyway I have two big questions.
1. How does this usually go? What's different than BG? What's the same? How do most people get started?
2. Where can I get level tables for all the classes. Something that shows spell progression, proficencies, etc.

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2015
    Time travel back to the 80's and all you needed was a copy of both the 2nd ed. Dungeon Master's Handbook and the Player's Handbook (both of which are currently available on Amazon - at least in the UK) and access to a photocopier (a cumbersome robotic beast that requires feeding with copious quantities of messy black stuff and wood pulp in order to produce facsimiles of peoples backsides at office Xmas parties).

The DM used his Handbook to structure the campaign in his head (i.e. how much XP each 'dungeon' would generate and scaling the difficulty of the next adventure accordingly - that sort of thing). He would then photocopy all the relevant tables which he would hand out to the players along with the copy of the Player's Handbook which they could circulate amongst themselves (photocopying again) while he preps the campaign. In our case the DM had a (photocopied) character generation sheet (homemade) on which the character's stats were recorded along with XP and GP gained (usually divvied up at the end of each dungeon at the whim of the DM) as well as all items acquired. This stat sheet effectively became the character's 'passport' so that he/she could be imported into new games, often with a new DM.
    The DM drew his own maps which he grudgingly handed out as we progressed and used the rules AS A GUIDE which he adapted or simply ignored as the situation required (the DM's job is to keep the game flowing after all).

I think the trick is in getting the character stat sheet design right (Google: 'D&D character sheet') - it's not just for the player to use as a record but also for the DM to refer to during combat etc. so it must be clear and logical (obviously it is filled in with a pencil as all the data is constantly changing).

Btw none of the campaigns I played in ever took place in Faerun (or anywhere else specific for that matter) - all the environments were products of the DM's imagination. Just remember that D&D pre-dates BG by many years and that, as the DM, you are not constrained in any way simply because a game called BG exists.

Edit: Forgot to add the bleedingly obvious - each player needs a set of "gaming" (D&D) dice of which there are many sets available on Amazon.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Are you basing your rules on AD&D Second Edition, 3.5e, or Fifth Edition?

3.5e has the SRD with all the rules you need: http://www.d20srd.org

5e has the Basic Rules PDF that will help you get started: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
    deltagoJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited July 2015
    Dee said:

Are you basing your rules on AD&D Second Edition, 3.5e, or Fifth Edition?

3.5e has the SRD with all the rules you need: http://www.d20srd.org

5e has the Basic Rules PDF that will help you get started: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

I guess 2e, because that's what I know about. I don't know enough about 3.5 or 5 to do anything with them. I'll take a look at the links to get an idea of what's going on though.
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    edited July 2015
    If you're ever looking to pick up 2e books, you can find some of them fairly cheap on DriveThruRPG. There might be a module there that catches your eye and can help with DMing the first time.
    Post edited by Amber_Scott on
    meaglothJuliusBorisovAdso

If you're ever looking to pick up 2e books, you can find some of them fairly cheap on There might be a module there that catches your eye and can help with DMing the first time.

Thank, ill look at those, but right not I'm having a lot of fun making my own world. I've got quite a few pages written down, and I've also got a campaign story in mind. ill post what I have so far soon.
    elminsterdeltagoJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    Heres what I have so far, so you can get an idea of what I'm doing. I found a bunch of tables for BG on playithardcore, and I think I'll use those

Theology-

In the beginning there was the heavens and there was the earth. The heavens and the earth where still. But In time, the two come together and had children, two brothers, called Mahat and Taham. These children had form, and so they power, though they knew it not. The brothers shared dominion over creation together, and lived in peace. In this time of peace the brothers took wives from the land. Mahat choose for himself Aqua, lady of the water, and Luna, the moon, and together they had many children. Taham took for himself Geo, lady of the earth, and Sol, the sun, and together they had many children. Together Mahat and Taham also created Prometheus, God of fire.
    But after many years of peace Taham that there was power in the world, and plotted against his brother. When Mahat realized this, he threw his brother down in anger, and severed his head and cast it into the ocean. But Taham saw that he could not die, and he ran his brother through the heart, and buried it in the earth so it could not be found. Thus the symbol of Taham is a headless elephant, and the symbol of Mahat is a heartless sea monster. Upon seeing what they had done, their wives and children abandoned them to watch over the earth.
    Now Mahat and Taham have become pure incantations of power who fight an endless battle for supreme control, for neither can die. And though they have no form, they still have influence, and great fortune will come to those who can win their favor, for the worship from men increases their power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now Prometheus found the spirit of man which was formless, and he shaped it into the gods of men. First, and greatest, was Jupiter, King of the gods who is the God of power, leadership, and royalty. Then there was Freya, Goddess of family, loyalty, and respect, Weyland, God of intelligence, knowledge, and wisdom, Tempos, God of war, battle, and honor, Beyla, goddess of love, beauty, and joy, agroveria, goddess of food, farming, and hearth, and smithers, God of the forge, craftsmen, and labor. These are the gods that men pray to, and the have influence over the world through their form and disciples.

classes-
    Fighter
    A fighter is a simple soldier or ruffian. He knows how to handle a blade, though not necessarily much else.

Ranger
    A ranger is a woodsman or a hunter. Like the fighter, he knows his way around a sword, but also has a bond with animals and the natural world.

Druid
    A Druid uses the power of the nature gods to cast powerful spell, usually to protect nature.

Cleric
    A cleric gains the ability to cast spells through worship of their chosen deity.

Paladin
    A paladin is a holy warrior who gains some spells and combat bonuses from their God.

Thief
    A thief is a clever rogue, who knows the ins and out of a lock, and well as how to slip into the shadows.

Bard
    A bard is a traveling performer collecting epic tales of adventure while he travels. A jack of all trades, and he has a magic song that aids his allies in combat.

Mage
    A Mage is a practitioner of the magical arts, a powerful skill he learns through study and discipline of arcane books and tomes.

Sorcerer
    A sorcerer casts spells the same as a wizard, though he needs no books. A sorcerer is naturally gifted with magic, and can gradually teach himself spells.

Child of Beyla
    A child of Beyla is to a sorcerer what a paladin is to a fighter. These are an elite order of sorcerer-priests that can cast both arcane and divine spells.

Barbarian
    A wild and reckless warrior from the far north, these fighters are known to throw themselves into a berserker rage and charge into battle.

Monk
    Monks do not worship the gods like most kin. They pray directly to the the heavens and the earth, and follow a strict regime and religious code. It is said they gain power from their gods like a priest would, though no one really knows. Divine intervention Regardless, their combat skills with their fists and very impressive.

Mechanics-
    THAC0- to hit armor class 0. The roll on a 20 side die needed to hit a monster with 0 AC
    AC- armor class. how easy it is to hit you.
    Damage reduction- how well your armor protects you. Reduces damage rolled by enemies.

Damage types-
    Piercing- stabbing weapons, arrows, bolts, puncture wounds 50% chance of bleeding on hit
    Cutting- cutting weapons, swords, knives, halberds 90% chance of bleeding on hit
    Crushing- percussive weapons, maces, clubs, sling bullets. 20% chance of bleeding on hit
    Raw- falling, drowning, some magic. cannot be resisted.
    Cold- caused by extreme cold temperatures; freezing
    Fire- caused by extreme heat; burning
    Acid- caused by corrosive material; flesh eating
    Poison- caused by toxic substances injected or otherwise consumed. Various effects
    Bleeding- blood leaving the body. Causes recipient to lose the amount of damage from the original wound every turn

Items

armor
    Armor comes in 3 sizes s, m, and L. s being for characters under 4.5', and L characters over 6'
    Armor comes with hit points, and it takes 1/2 the damage every hit the wearer receives. Once it's hit points reach 0 it's no longer wearable and must be repaired or replaced. Helmets and gauntlets sold separately.

Common clothes- AC10 DR0 HP10 W3 S-0
    Robe AC10 DR1 HP20 W3 S-0
    Gambeson AC7 DR2 HP45 W5 S-5
    Scale AC5 DR5 HP60 W15 S-15
    Boiled Leather- AC6 DR5 (3 V piercing) HP50 W15 S-10
    Leather Brigandine- AC7 DR6 (3 v piercing) HP50 W17 S-10
    Steel Brigandine- AC6- DR10 HP70 W25 S-15
    Mail shirt- AC8(5v crush) DR8(5v crush) HP40 W20 S-20
    Mail Suit- AC10(5v crush) DR12(5v crush) HP40 W35 S-30
    Breastplate- AC10 DR10(8 v pierce)HP70 W10 S-20 can be used in conjunction with mail
    Mail and plates- AC5 DR15(14 v pierce)HP60 W40 S-50
    Articulated plate- AC10 DR20(18 v pierce)HP100 W60 S-40

Helmets are sold separately from armor, and prevent critical hits, as well as other bonuses
    Padded cap- AC1 DR3
    Mail coif AC3 DR5
    Skull Cap- AC5 DR10
    Barbute- AC7 DR12
    Great helm- AC2 DR20
    Bassinet- AC4 DR17

Bracers, also sold separately, do not provide much protection, but they are often enchanted with powerful magic. Though they are usually plate, any class can wear bracers.
    Leather bracer- AC-1 DR0
    Steel Bracer- AC3 DR1

Gauntlets cannot be worn by thieves or mages because they hinder the movement so.
    Leather gloves AC2 DR0
    Mail backed gloves AC2 DR1
    Plate backed gauntlets AC2 DR2
    Articulated plate gauntlets AC3 DR3

Shields
    Shields can be cumbersome to a traveling adventurer, though their use in combat is undisputed. On a critical hit a shield will shatter. If it is wood, it must be replaced, but metal shields can be repaired. There is a -3 THAC0 penalty for using any shield if you do not have a sword and shield proficiency.
    Wood buckler- AC3 W2
    Metal buckler-AC3 W2
    Small wood shield- AC6 W4
    Small metal shield- AC6 W4
    Medium wood shield AC 10 W5
    Large wood shield AC 20 W7 THAC0 -5 penalty

Weapons.

One-Handed Melee Weapons
    Club — 1d6 ×2 10 ft. 3 lb. Bludgeoning
    Mace, heavy 1d8 ×2 — 8 lb. Bludgeoning
    Morningstar 1d8 ×2 — 6 lb. Bludgeoning and piercing
    Shortspear 1d6 ×2 20 ft. 3 lb. Piercing

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
    Longspear 1d8 ×3 — 9 lb. Piercing
    Quarterstaff 1d6 ×2 — 4 lb. Bludgeoning
    Spear 1d8 ×3 20 ft. 6 lb. Piercing

Ranged Weapons
    Crossbow, heavy 1d10 19–20/×2 120 ft. 8 lb. Piercing
    Bolts, crossbow (10) 1 gp — — — — 1 lb. —
    Crossbow, light 1d8 19–20/×2 80 ft. 4 lb. Piercing
    Bolts, crossbow (10) — — — — 1 lb. —
    Dart 5 sp 1d4 ×2 20 ft. 1/2 lb. Piercing
    Javelin 1 gp 1d6 ×2 30 ft. 2 lb. Piercing
    Sling — 1d4 ×2 50 ft. 0 lb. Bludgeoning
    Bullets, sling (10) 1 sp — — — —

Light Melee Weapons
    Axe, throwing 1d6 ×2 10 ft. 2 lb. Slashing
    Hammer, light 1d4 ×2 20 ft. 2 lb. Bludgeoning
    Handaxe 1d6 ×3 — 3 lb. Slashing
    Kukri 8 gp 1d4 18–20/×2 — 2 lb. Slashing
    Sword, short 1d6 19–20/×2 — 2 lb. Piercing

One-Handed Melee Weapons
    Battleaxe 1d8 ×3 — 6 lb. Slashing
    Flail 8 gp 1d8 ×2 — 5 lb. Bludgeoning
    Longsword 1d6 1d8 19–20/×2 — 4 lb. Slashing
    Pick, heavy 1d6 ×4 — 6 lb. Piercing
    Rapier 20 gp 1d6 18–20/×2 — 2 lb. Piercing
    Scimitar 1d6 18–20/×2 — 4 lb. Slashing
    Shield, heavy 1d4 ×2 — special Bludgeoning
    Spiked shield 1d6 ×2 — special Piercing
    Trident 15 gp 1d8 ×2 10 ft. 4 lb. Piercing
    Warhammer 1d8 ×3 — 5 lb. Bludgeoning

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
    Falchion 2d4 18–20/×2 — 8 lb. Slashing
    Glaive 1d10 ×3 — 10 lb. Slashing
    Greataxe 1d12 ×3 — 12 lb. Slashing
    Greatclub 1d10 ×2 — 8 lb. Bludgeoning
    Flail, heavy 1d10 19–20/×2 — 10 lb. Bludgeoning
    Greatsword 2d6 19–20/×2 — 8 lb. Slashing
    Guisarme 2d4 ×3 — 12 lb. Slashing
    Halberd 1d10 ×3 — 12 lb. Piercing or slashing
    Lance 1d8 ×3 — 10 lb. Piercing
    Ranseur 2d4 ×3 — 12 lb. Piercing
    Scyth. 2d4 ×4 — 10 lb. Piercing or slashing

Ranged Weapons
    Longbow 1d8 ×3 150ft. 3 lb. Piercing
    Arrows (20) 1 gp — — — — 3 lb. —
    Longbow, composite 1d8 ×3 150ft. 3 lb. Piercing
    Shortbow 1d6 ×3 100ft. 2 lb. Piercing
    Shortbow, composite 1d6 ×3
    Musket. 2d8 x4. 7lb 200 piercing/crush
    Arquebus 2d6. x4. 7lb. 150ft. Pierce/crunch
    Matchlock pistol 1d10 x3 3lb. 90ft. Pierce/crush
    Matchlock revolver 1d10 x3. 4lb. 80ft. Pierce/crush
    Blunderbus. 2d8. x3 6lb. 50ft. Crush

Levels-
    Fighter types(fighter, ranger, paladin, cleric, barbarian, monk) gain 2 hit points every level up.
    Everyone else gains 1d2 hit points every level up.

All classes get 1 attribute point every even level.

Adventuring
    you( and your characters) will need to eat. food can be purchased at shops and bars. food will expire, and be heavy. Each item is enough for one character for 1 day. characters also need to drink 1/ day.

Food expiration date cost weight
    dairy
    Feta cheese 2 days 3g 1
    cheddar cheese 3 days 3g 1
    parmesan cheese 5 days 2g 1
    goat cheese 2 days 5g 1
    MouseMilk® 2 weeks 2g 2
    lard 2 weeks 2g 2
    butter 5 weeks 5g 2
    cream cheese 2 days 5g 2

meat
    salted pork 1 year 3g 3
    salted beef 1 year 10g 3
    salted lamb 1 year 7g 3
    raw poultry 1 day 6g 4
    raw beef 1 day 20g 4
    raw pork 1 day 10g 4
    raw lamb 1 day 12g 4
    MouseMeat® 6 months 1g 3
    dried cod 6 months 3g 2
    smoked salmon 6 months 7g 2

plants
    fresh vegetables 3 days 4g 4
    fresh fruit 3 days 8g 4
    dried peas 4 months 10g 2
    dried fruit 2 months 10g 3
    wheat flour 4 months 5g 5
    barley flour 4 months 2g 5
    sugar 2 months 10g 5
    honey 1 year 7g 2
    Brown Bread 2 weeks 3g 2
    white bread 2 weeks 7g 2
    unleavened bread 5 weeks 2g 1

Adventuring Gear

Acid (vial)
    Blowgun needles (50)
    arrows (20)
    Sling bullets (20)
    Backpack
    Barrel
    Bedroll
    Blanket
    Book
    Bucket
    Candle
    Case,
    map or scroll
    Chalk (1 piece)
    Climber’s kit
    Clothes,
    costume Clothes,
    traveler’s Crowbar
    Sprig of mistletoe
    Wooden staff
    Fishing tackle
    Grappling hook
    Hammer, sledge
    Amulet
    Reliquary
    Hourglass
    Ink (1 ounce bottle)
    Jug or pitcher
    Lamp
    Lantern, hooded
    Magnifying glass
    Mess kit
    Oil (flask)
    Parchment (one sheet)
    Pick, miner’s
    Poison, basic (vial)
    Pot, iron
    Pouch
    Ram, portable
    Robes
    Rope, silk (50 feet)
    Scale,
    merchant’s Shovel
    Signet ring
    Spellbook

Races/species
    Human- humans are the main race on earth, and they can be any class they like. they are some of the most short lives species, but they make up for it in breeding ability. humans are the only race the advance technologically as fast as they do, and most other races are more concerned with preserving the natural world and maintaining a traditional lifestyle. Humans generally look down on other races for that. humans invented firearms, and it is illegal in most places for anyone but a human to possess a firearm.

Elves- tolkien elves. +1 to every stat roll. elves are very uncommon on the world today, most of them have migrated to the west, where no ship has returned, and the elves say only they can cross the ocean. elves cannot die unless they are killed, so they do not usually go to war or become adventurers. elves usually live in isolated kingdoms and do not pay attention to human political borders. Because they do not worship the gods of men elves cannot be paladins, clerics, or a Child of Beyla. because they do not risk their lives needlessly, they cannot be a barbarian.

Dwarves- Dwarves are not usually seen about on the surface, because sunlight burns their skin severely. Dwarves live in underground palaces carved into the sides of mountains that are said to be the richest and most elaborate palaces of any race, though foreigners are not often let in. dwarves have infravision and can see in the night, as well as a +1 to their constitution score and a -2 to their strength roll. Dwarves have very little affinity for magic, and cannot be sorcerers or children of Beyla.

Orlan- orlan are short(3-4 feet) creatures with large, upright ears and are covered in thick fur. orlan are generally more wild than most races, and live in nomadic tribes in the wilderness. Because of their connection to nature, orlan druids and rangers receive 1 extra spell per level, and all orlans have 1 charm animal ability regardless of class. however, this has a dark side, and many orlans are not thought of as people by humans, and discrimination is rampant. Most restaurants do not allow orlans inside, and most nations will not grant the citizenship. because orlans worship nature gods, they cannot be clerics, paladins, or Children of Beyla.

Gnome- Gnomes are Mischievous little tinkers, with an affinity for magic. Gnomes love small, clever devices, though they have more respect for the natural world than human, and have little taste for the sprawl of cities and castles. to them Nature is the greatest engineer, and they worship both the nature gods and the gods of men, especially Weyland and smithers.

Aumaua- Aumaua are a large, semi aquatic species. They can breath underwater, and have large webbed feet and hands, and thick, slimy skin with some scales. they prefer to live by the sea, though they do not live in it. They are intelligent, though they are not technological and usually live in huts on the shore. they do not cause much trouble so humans generally just let them about their business, which is usually fishing. They can speak common, though few do, and fewer still venture out from their village. They receive a +1 to their strength roll, and a -2 to their intelligence and charisma rolls. Because of their intellectual limitations and apparent lack of any organized religion, they cannot be sorcerers, mages, children of beyla, clerics, or paladins.

lore
    The game world is separated by theology into two main cultures. European, and Eastern. The conflict is over the battle between Mahat and Taham. Most eastern religions believe that Mahat is at fault for their fight, and that Taham had not yet done anything wrong, so Mahat was wrong to behead him. Easter culture praises intelligence, planning, and trickery. The western Culture believes that Taham was wrong to plot in the first place, and that he was in the wrong. western culture praises honor, loyalty, and transparency.
    imageimageCountry summaries-European countries are equivalent to their actual 1500AD counterparts

Xanadu-Ming china
    Abkhazia- ottoman empire
    Mzaab- Songhai empire
    Carthage- Carthage
    NimranelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Most people start by rolling up characters. You'll want at least one of each of the main classes (fighter-types, a magic-user, rogue and priest) to cover all the bases. Fighters fight, Cleric and Mage do support and artillery and rogues do the sneaky-ing. Be careful with the published modules. Some of them are rather unbalanced, others give out treasure hand over fist. You will want to make sure that the treasure given is commensurate with the encounter. I mean, if they fight a big monster, and only find a handful of silver pieces, you are going to have some *very* unhappy players- unless the monster also happened to be guarding a larger treasure in another room (perhaps hidden). The 1st edition AD&D Monster Manual can help you make a dungeon all on your own. There was also a set of Dungeon Geomorphs which could be turned, twisted and used in new ways to lay out large (or even smallish) dungeons. The Geomorphs were a separate product, of course. The other good thing the 1e AD&D DMG has in it is a set of monster tables at the back, letting you see all the relevant information and how much each monster is "worth" in experience.

I mean, yes, do buy the 2e books, but the 1e AD&D DMG has very useful things in it, and is a good thing to buy as well. This way, you don't need to buy the Monster Manual right away.

If you are going to be GM, think of yourself as a storyteller- you are telling the "Story" of the module. Also, keep in mind that if you make a dungeon of your own, think about what the rooms were used for before they became overrun with monsters- and create descriptions with those in mind. Describe stuff well but not exhaustively- your players will "turn off" if you put in too much description.

Sometjhing like, "This room appears to have been some sort of chapel. Decorations on the walls show beings worshipping stone idols. But the details are hard to make out, as the mosaics have been defaced by something sharp being driven through the plaster, exposing the rock/brick/whatever beneath. The Altar stone was once large and prominent, now broken into shards of black stone…" etc. etc.
    elminsterBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
    We played! We actually got together tonight and everybody got a character rolled up almost all the way. It was everybody's first time so it was pretty chaotic, but we had a lot of fun though so that's good. The party right now is a CG human thief, a NG eleven sorcerer, a CN human fighter, a CG gnomish child of beyla, and a LG human cleric of freya, and me as the DM. We used character sheet I made

And we got the top portion and back stories filled out. I had them roll 3d6 then pick which stat each number went to. I'm planning to change proficencies(make it a tree rather than a list) so we didn't do that yet, and I didn't have the tables necessary to figure out everyone's AC and THAC0 so we didn't do that either. I'll work on that and more detail class and race descriptions tonight.
    The back stories where a lot of fun. We ended up with three overthrown royalty-turned-mercenary, one orphan, and one almost orphan. No one has all of their parents:P
    Overall, it went better than I expected.
    Amber_ScottBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited July 2015
    3D6, that's harsh man. 4D6 taking away the lowest die is more forgiving.

http://stane0.tripod.com/BG1Tables.html Armour is halfway down this page if you are basing it off BG
    Nonnahswriter
    Second edition Thac0 table can be found here:
    http://theworldissquare.com/thac0-to-pathfinder-bab-conversion/

The last one i posted was rubbish (didn't look at it carefully enough)
    meagloth
    @deltago said:

3D6, that's harsh man. 4D6 taking away the lowest die is more forgiving.

They get 1 additional attribute point every even level, so its not as bad as it looks. Thanks for the THAC0 tables. Does anyone know where I can find a full list of arcane and divine spells with full descriptions? @elminster I have a vague memory of you having one on steam... Is that correct?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    My listing on steam is more like giving my opinion of the various spells (though occasionally in the case of a summon it may touch on specifics it typically won't). Steam has a word limit that restricts anything more than that.
    elminster said:

My listing on steam is more like giving my opinion of the various spells (though occasionally in the case of a summon it may touch on specifics it typically won't). Steam has a word limit that restricts anything more than that.

Ok. I've found a bunch of those, but not a list of descriptions. Maybe I can find them on a wiki somewhere and copy/paste them individually.
    D20srd.org is a good sight for spells and spell descriptions.

Keeping Will, Reflex, and Fort over 2ed saves may also be easier for comprehension of how they work and what they effect.
    All the tables and spell descriptions you've asked for are in the AD&D 2nd Edition Player's Handbook which I'm referring to as I type - in fact there are 250 A4 pages of tables and descriptions in there.
    Ohh look wheat I found http://www.orbisrpg.co.uk/Planescape/players_handbook.pdf
    This has exactly what I need.
    BelgarathMTH
    I just said this in the "how long would bg take in PnP?" thread, but does anyone have a critic of my proposed DM Style/other ideas? or tips?

I recently "started" a tabletop group with some of my friends. We've only met once for 3 hours so we'll see if I cane keep the momentum going. A bunch of people are out of town before school starts. (Ugh. I need to start the grapes of wrath.)
    Some are somewhat familiar with dnd, but none have seriously played tabletop before, and two are serious gamers so they pick up quick, the rest, at the risk of being politically incorrect, are girls. As the only one familiar with the rules I am the de facto DM, and no one has any official books. New ones are expensive, and honestly, I have some serious issues with some particulars of the system. So taking
    atcDave said:

Every DM makes tweaks of that sort.

To the next level, I wrote my own edition.
    I present you: D&D, Meagloth Edition!

yeah.

Anyway, on topic, I'm gonna try and move quick, and favor roleplay and imagination over dice. I know most of you won't click that link, and no one will read the whole thing, so as a synopsis:
    I added 2 stats, comeliness and athletics, and changed modifiers and what they modify.
    I changed armor, adding Damage resistance.
    I changed inventory management to match real people. I think encumbrance tops out around 150, and i also have a volume system.
    Classes start with different HP rolls, and classes gain 1d2 HP/lvl, or 1d3, in the case of fighter types. However, I added a lot more AC/DR bonuses. This way hits don't happen very often, but when they do they're very serious. I felt this is more realistic.
    The setting is essentially Europe. I drew a map, but I might just use a 1500 map of Europe. i always thought it was a bit silly how nations in games are obvious mirrors of real life cultures, but they change thy name and pretend they're not. Besides, everyone already knows the ins and out of these cultural relationships, and it makes the languages seem less fake. I'm not Tolkien, I can't make up my own language in a month.(Kooky root words have always bothered me. One of the reasons I like Tolkien so much.)
    Heres an example character sheet:

ok. now that thats sorted, ill try and be relaxed. There a lot of rules that probably don't need to be. like, if Mage 1 casts sleep and it gets everyone, Fighter can slit all their thoughts. No need to roll for damage. I'll also try and talk through combat in a storytelling way, rather than hit or miss. example:
    DM: the goblin charges and jumps for your head, sword raised high
    Fighter: i parry at my head and jump out of they way
    DM: right. the goblin lands and-
    Fighter: I lung at him while he's landing
    DM: ok. he's moving so he can't block. roll at +5 THAC0.
    *17*
    DM: ok, roll for damage
    *12*
    DM: alright he's incapacitated and will bleed out in one round. His Brother sees this and jumps out of the bushes at the mage
    etc...

I feel like that will be more fun, quick, and more realistic than just rolling it out. I'm big on realism, if you hadn't noticed yet.

I also want to try and avoid combat. I was reading a PDF of the 5e monster manual and that thing is absurd. they have every monster under the sun and his sister. Why are there so many of these things? why do i need to kill it? why are they all inherently evil? how did roads get built?
    the world crawling in monsters just doesn't make any sense. Im gonna tone down the Uber-fantasy. Its just a little over the top for me. I'll try and make most of the combat have a good reason, and a realistic feel. I want the characters wondering if they made the right choice afterwards, rather than "oh, its just a goblin. I can kill it for the XP"
    It sounds good, I like the way you're cherry-picking some bits and making up others to suit your style. However, at the risk of throwing a spanner in the works, as I started reading the changes you've made I thought "Ah, Runequest".
    dunbar said:

It sounds good, I like the way you're cherry-picking some bits and making up others to suit your style. However, at the risk of throwing a spanner in the works, as I started reading the changes you've made I thought "Ah, Runequest".

I'm not familiar with runequest. What is it?
    'Runequest' is another dice-based, role-playing fantasy game that's very similar to D&D (I think it first appeared shortly after D&D but I stand to be corrected on that). The principal difference (as I remember) is that the combat system is more detailed, Taking account of height, weight etc. as well as where an opponent is hit (i.e. a hit to the arm will slow his attack, to the leg his movement etc.). All this extra detail makes for more rolling and therefore the game is slower but it also allows fuller character development and, I feel, adds to the realism.
    I've just Googled "Runequest" and apparently it was first published in 1978.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I remember those days. Runequest, Glorantha, Empire of the Petal Throne… (all game systems from back in the day, yo! ;) )

If you want to go overboard on details, there was the ICE Arms Law/Spell Law/Claw Law systems. Elaborate system of magic, 5 tables of critical hits *per spell type*, etc. I still have a copy of Spell Law around here somewhere. One of the Electricity Criticals being "Foe's nervous system acts as a super-conductor. Foe's sad, instant death provides all witnesses with a fine light show." Which, I mean, is kind of funny if you do it to someone else, right? It's not so amusing when it happens to your character.

Incidentally, my favorite Critical was from the Impact Table. "Foe reduced to a gelatinous pulp. Try a spatula." Funny to read, but I never actually used the system, so…

There was also a book called "Medieval Roleplaying" (I think that was the name). It was so realistic that it had only one class for female characters. Prostitute. And no, I'm not joking. :disgusted:
    dunbarmeaglothJuliusBorisovNonnahswriter
    @LadyRhian. From AD&D 2e: Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter - "The material components are a small feather and minute tarts. The tarts are hurled at the subjects, while the feather is waved in one hand." The victim literally dies laughing.
    LadyRhian said:

If you want to go overboard on details, there was the ICE Arms Law/Spell Law/Claw Law systems.

To DEFINITELY don't want to do that. T'wer it a videogame, maybe. But I have to do all the math in my head, and I do not have 3 hours per kobold.
    LadyRhian said:

There was also a book called "Medieval Roleplaying" (I think that was the name). It was so realistic that it had only one class for female characters. Prostitute. And no, I'm not joking. :disgusted:

That's probably a little past realistic....
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    meagloth said:

o9p0
    Some are somewhat familiar with dnd, but none have seriously played tabletop before, and two are serious gamers so they pick up quick, the rest, at the risk of being politically incorrect, are girls.

[...]

I also want to try and avoid combat. I was reading a PDF of the 5e monster manual and that thing is absurd. they have every monster under the sun and his sister. Why are there so many of these things? why do i need to kill it? why are they all inherently evil? how did roads get built?
    the world crawling in monsters just doesn't make any sense. Im gonna tone down the Uber-fantasy. Its just a little over the top for me. I'll try and make most of the combat have a good reason, and a realistic feel. I want the characters wondering if they made the right choice afterwards, rather than "oh, its just a goblin. I can kill it for the XP"

Ohoho, and you think the gamers are going to be the easy ones :P
    Nonnahswriter
    We have a session planned for tonight . What I want to do is run a mini-dungeon that can be completed in one session so I can get a feel for this, and see how fast it will go and how well we can all role play. I'm going to use Legos as miniatures, and I have a little dungeon built. I have characters pre-made for everyone so Everyone can jump in right away. Character creation was kinda tedious last time, and it would use up most of the evening. I also want to see them role play characters that aren't just a fantasy version of themselves.

Anyway, my plan is to have them all in a bar in munchen. They don't know each other but the bar is full. The Druid has been sent on a mission to clear an undead infestation from an area so I'll use that to band them together, or I might have a local tell them about a nearby ruin. We'll see how it goes. Then they'll travel to the dungeon and meet 2 or 3 skeletons on the first level, and find a magic sword and a crystal ball.
    The next step is a secret door. I have 3 ways of them opening in my head right now. The orlan can climb through a small hole in it, someone with a high detect illusion(so no one) could discover a secret key, or someone can look into the crystal ball and see the location of the key.
    Come to think of it, a riddle would be nice right about now. If anyone has a good one, do share.

Then depending on how long that takes, the secret door will either take them to a secret chamber with a bigger badder skeleton and some loot, or if we have enough time, it will take them to a second level where they find a mad.... Necromancer or priest of Bh'aal. I can't decide which. Tw'er it's a longer campaign it would be a priest of bh'aal and they would have to destroy the cult, but we don't have time for that. So maybe a necromancer. What do you guys think?

How does that sound? Is it to long? Does anyone have riddles or a preference for necromancers?
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    @meagloth have you ever checked out Dungeon World? It's free and simple. http://www.dungeon-world.com/ A friend wanted to try it out and it went smooth, especially with some never-before rpg'ers. Very organic flow/development of happenings.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    meagloth said:

I also want to see them role play characters that aren't just a fantasy version of themselves.

LOL. My DM actually tried this the other way around. He wanted us to play a Campaign of Gamma World where we all played ourselves as if we had been frozen and awakened hundreds of years in the future. I did NOT like that campaign. I (personally and subjectively) try to play something about as far from 'Me' in reality as I can get. Otherwise, what's the point?
    meagloth
    Adso said:

@meagloth have you ever checked out Dungeon World? It's free and simple. http://www.dungeon-world.com/ A friend wanted to try it out and it went smooth, especially with some never-before rpg'ers. Very organic flow/development of happenings.

This is interesting, though to be honest I don't think I understand it very well. I glossed over the PDFs and the(what I think we're) character sheets didn't make much sense.

But it's not really complicated systems I want to avoid(just look at me adding another layer(DR) to combat), it's unnecessary or nonsensical rules. Like wizards not being able to use large sword or having to wait to make an attack because of some rounds or something.

meagloth said:

I also want to see them role play characters that aren't just a fantasy version of themselves.

LOL. My DM actually tried this the other way around. He wanted us to play a Campaign of Gamma World where we all played ourselves as if we had been frozen and awakened hundreds of years in the future. I did NOT like that campaign. I (personally and subjectively) try to play something about as far from 'Me' in reality as I can get. Otherwise, what's the point?
    Well, a lot of my characters tend to be me with pointy ears and a penchant for fireball, but everyone's different. I think once I've played a cmpaign with someone like that, then maybe I'll like to play someone different.