Skip to content

[mod] Foundling: Between the Shades

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
edited March 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
Foundling: Between the Shades BETA is available. The mod fully playable, may need some polishing. I've decided to made the BETA version available.

Foundling is the thrall of Thaxll'ssillvia, the Shadow Dragon found in the Temple Ruins. He is cold, calculating, and determined to be freed from his influence. He can never oppose his master on his own, but everything can change thanks to the influence of the Bhaalspawn.

Foundling is a Shadow Adept who can use Shadow Weave Magic as well as some Shadow Magic. The mod introduces a new kind of magic with its own advantages and disadvantages. Even though Foundling is recognised as a mage, he can't use the Weave. In exchange he is given his own dark spells - mostly dark versions of well known spells, but there are some brand new ones too.

The mod is both an NPC and quest mod and introduces new characters, areas, music, items, soundset etc.

Foundling is not romanceable, but the character will still talk to you frequently, so no worries.

DOWNLOAD LINK - https://downloads.weaselmods.net/download/foundling-between-the-shades/

Thank you to everyone who helped me in releasing this project!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
GodKaiserHellMusignyCahirBleuCelesteJuliusBorisovArdulOxvaSethDavisBoozillaRavenslightCorianderelminsterFoggylolienFina92gorgonzolaBlackravenmashedtaterssmeagolheart

Comments

• Miss_SakakiMiss_Sakaki Member Posts: 3
    Congratulations on the beta! Hopefully I'll have a look at him this weekend.
    LavaDelVortelmashedtaters
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I had a chance to play a beta some time ago and I have to say the mod's great! New Shadow Wave spells seems refreshing indeed. The plot is also impressive. Overall, I can say it's worth playing!
    LavaDelVortel
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    Thanks, people! That's very kind of you :)
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    This looks super cool. I can't wait to check it out :)
    LavaDelVortel
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I like the idea of it. Will try it when i get the chance.
    LavaDelVortel
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Thanks for the mod :)
    Any chance to also add the Shadow Adept as a PC kit?
    Cahir
    For now it is impossible, sorry. Maybe in future, but not sure if that would be a good idea.
    Thanks and cheers! :)
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    The video is grandiose!
    Ravenslightlolien
    Thank you! :)
    MusignyJuliusBorisov
  • chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176
    This looks fantastic. I have been waiting forever for something like this. Maybe one day someone will do something with the Shadovar and shade enclave too. Great work
    LavaDelVortelMusignyJuliusBorisovlolien
    Thanks! :) I hope people like the mod. Haven't heard any opinions since closed betatests :D but I guess that also means very little bugs.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SomberlainSomberlain Member Posts: 4
    Great work!
    JuliusBorisov
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I finished playing the game with Foundling. He's quite an odd character, but definitely interesting. The kit was a little weak but that's no big deal. It worked fine in SoA, but the ToB section had some weird issues.

- The 'Blackscratchers' appear out of nowhere when in the pocket plane. Later on I got the pair from the master wraith as intended. No idea why :s
    - Speaking of the Blackscratchers, it seems really glitchy, because it just mazes the user permanently. I had to use Freedom to get him out. Again, not sure what's wrong.
    - Repeating dialogue - the one where Foundling asks if love makes you happier. SetGlobal("L#FouToBTimeredTalk","GLOBAL",11) should be set to 12 instead.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Heya! Thanks for the feedback - if you have some other thoughts on what you liked and what you didn't like, let me know. I just hope he makes an addition and that players will be happy to check him out and that he can somehow surprise rather than bore.

I will check the variable and talks.

When you write that the gloves appeared out of nowhere - but in the inventory or what? Without any talk? And strange thing about the maze/freedom... It worked fine last time I checked. Will do so again.

As for the kit - I didn't want to make him too powerful, but maybe will add one more bonus... will see.

JuliusBorisovlolien
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    did you have the chances to fix the issues artemius found @LavaDelVortel ?
    I think I had an idea how to do that, but right now I just get back from the hospital as I had surgery. another thins is that SHS has broken uploading system and I would rather update my mods on the site where they are hosted, not on other sites.

Anway, I am sorry, but I need to take care of myself. I have another project, a rather simple one. This part is not like... game-breaking, so it has to wait. But note that Foundling is one of (in my opinion) my best mods so I would like to have it fixed when the time is right.

I hope you understand. Apart from that but everything is should be (more or less) fine. For the repeating dialogue, you need to use console to increase variable by one.
    gorgonzola
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    edited November 2016
    @LavaDelVortel
    I finished my recent run in BG2:EE with Foundling and I just want to thank you for this amazing mod. I really enjoy Foundlings different storyline, his interjections with other characters (including crossmods) your writing and new areas. He was really interesting and I am glad, that you bring him to Faerun!
    So once again thank you, for this great mod!
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks @Caszidy, it's very nice of you! I am quite happy with the NPC and I hope to update him one day, as I know there are some small bugs here and there. But I'd like to finish my Will of the Wisp mod first :)

Cheers!
    Caszidy
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249

- Repeating dialogue - the one where Foundling asks if love makes you happier. SetGlobal("L#FouToBTimeredTalk","GLOBAL",11) should be set to 12 instead.

FYI, the BiG World Fixpack includes a patch for this issue.
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    Bug Report:

@LavaDelVortel, I'm sorry to tell you that your promising mod isn't playable (BG2:EE). :'(
    After 10+ program crashes in the area beyond the City Gates I stopped playing the mod.

I add my last save game and my WEIDUlog.
    @egbert - Could you provide more details? What were you doing before the crash, was there some kind stutter (or other weird things happened), were the crashes in exactly the same moment? Some other people played the mod on EE and it worked fine... also the update is being worked on, so if we find out what's causing the problem, the fix may come quite soon.
    lolien
    @LavaDelVortel
    Weird things: The screen shows a lot of very small horizontal interrupt lines (like border lines from some smaller graphic parts).

No, the crashes come at different locations but always near the "cutting" lines.

I add a screenshot. If you zoom it in you can see the lines.
    lolien
    edited November 2016
    @egbert - Hmm, the lines appeared after patch 2.0 and that's because areas' tilsets work differentlu now. The grid will be fixes in the upcoming version. You may use this package to fix it locally, but I CAN'T promise that it's gonna help. But you can try, though.

Paste all those files in your override folder and let them override the old ones.
    This clears the lines but not the crashes. :'(
    After you leave this map, the crashes stop.

Some hints to get through the "crash" area:
    - Don't save
    - Don't use magic
    - Never think about killing the final "wolves" before telling the ivory witch killing her foe and placing the seed in the fond.
    lolien
    That's not very helpful... there must be some reason why the crashes happen and saving game, using magic and the wolves do not sound to have anything in common. There must be something else.