Skip to content

Atari & Siege of Dragonspear

ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
I read a few stuff here and there but I haven't found anything that makes it clear.

What happened with Atari and the EEs?
I read in one of Trent's interviews that with Siege they can take their time and not be pressured by a publisher.

I know that Atari published the EEs but now that's no longer the case with Siege?
Did Atari lose the rights to DnD games completely?
Did Beamdog just decide not to use a publisher on their own?

Can someone of the mods or staff clear this out or point to a source or previous post/thread?

Comments

• WesleyWesley Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2015
    Atari's assets were sold in bankruptcy about the time that BG2:EE was coming out. Legal issues surrounding the bankruptcy led to the game being removed from sale for a couple of months. The Baldur's Gate publishing agreement must have been bought by someone friendlier to Beamdog (perhaps Beamdog themselves?)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @AstroBryGuy Amen to the good riddance part. They were the ones responsible for having Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 2 and the EEs being rushed on release, if I am not mistaken.

But is there an article or thread about the details of it?
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Archaos said:

@AstroBryGuy Amen to the good riddance part. They were the ones responsible for having Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 2 and the EEs being rushed on release, if I am not mistaken.

But is there an article or thread about the details of it?

Here is the thread I think you are looking for: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/20149/baldurs-gate-rights
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    @AstroBryGuy thanks you just showed me something I must have overlooked.
    WotC owns the rights to Baldurs gate..

The sentence that (should) tell us is this:
    "Baldur's Gate, Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, Forgotten Realms, Baldur's Gate, Wizards of the Coast and their logos are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC in the U.S.A. [...]"

So, the disclaimer says that Baldurs Gate and its logo is a trademark of wizards.
    So I assume WotC used Ataris bankrupcy to buy the D&D related franchises, so that no one can use them
    without their allowance.
    Though I do wonder about the characters.. Are they still IP of Bioware? Or are the rights of them also
    with WotC?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    WotC owns the characters.

Hence's Minsc's appearance in NW online
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2015
    WotC reclaimed all the licensing rights to the D&D games back in 2011. At the time, Atari retained rights to distribute D&D games, including the Infinity Engine games. Atari was in the picture when BGEE was released not because Atari held any rights to the game's IP, but because they held the distribution rights.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/08/15/atari-settles-dampd-dispute-delays-neverwinter-game#.VcJEe5NVikp

Based on the lack of Atari logo on the current www.baldursgate.com page, it appears that Atari no longer holds the distribution rights. They either reverted to WotC or perhaps Beamdog picked them up.
    well according to the disclaimer, the IE is property of Bioware/EA, the franchise-name Baldurs Gate
    (and thus the direct distribution rights) are hold by WotC/Hasbro.
    ...And Interplay seems to hold the rights to a part of the intro..

I *assume* Beamdog has distribution rights on the Enhanced Editions and thus can act as a publisher.
    Either that or WotC is the publisher (I doubt EA would bother with publishing here..).
    Arcanis said:

well according to the disclaimer, the IE is property of Bioware/EA, the franchise-name Baldurs Gate
    (and thus the direct distribution rights) are hold by WotC/Hasbro.
    ...And Interplay seems to hold the rights to a part of the intro..

I *assume* Beamdog has distribution rights on the Enhanced Editions and thus can act as a publisher.
    Either that or WotC is the publisher (I doubt EA would bother with publishing here..).

That's how it appears on GOG. If you look at the BG1 page, it lists the developer & publisher as Bioware/Hasbro. Similarly, the IWD page lists Black Isle/Hasbro. Hasbro (i.e., WotC) appears to have reclaimed distribution rights of the old IE games.

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga
    https://www.gog.com/game/icewind_dale_complete

However, the IWDEE page lists Beamdog/Beamdog. So, Beamdog appears to have the distribution rights for the EEs.

https://www.gog.com/game/icewind_dale_enhanced_edition

..Is it just me or does the group in the IWD screenshot has a ridicoulus amount of HP? oO

Anyways, so it seems that Beamdog made a contract with WotC that allows them to distribute
    Baldurs Gate games.

I remember Mr. Oster saying that he asks at WotC about BG3 every time they talk, which means
    that the distribution rights are limited to specific products instead of the brand.

Also, I can't get this conversation out of my head:
    Secretary of the WotC president: Good day, what can i do for you?
    T. Oster: I would like to make an appointment with the president about Siege of Dragonspear.
    Secretary: Sure, would be the X.Y.ZZZZ alright for you? He would have time then..
    T. Oster: Sounds good, thank you. Also, What about Baldurs Gate 3?
    Secretary: ...Excuse me?
    T. Oster: I would like to know if we could make that game. =)
    Secretary: I ...don't know?
    T. Oster: Thank you, have a nice day. *click*
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited August 2015
    OMG is that Orsen Welles in the role of J.P. Morgan in that odd movie about Nicola Tesla?

OMG is that Orsen Welles in the role of J.P. Morgan in that odd movie about Nicola Tesla?

It *is* Orson Welles, but as Lew Lord, the head of World Wide Studios in the Muppet Movie. :smiley: