Skip to content

The many runs and trials of Dragonspear (Will be crossposted in Playthroughs)

DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
I figured I'd announce it here, both to bounce ideas off other forumites and so I can keep things steady in one continuous topic, rather than having them all spread out.'

The premise is fairly simple, it was either the BG series again or the ME series again. Nothing else is interesting me at the moment. Thus, this topic (and my continued presence) are born.

Now first, I need help deciding the various classes that I will have pre-generated, as I will inevitably die. A few will be constants, because they're either classes I love (Cavalier) or really wanna play to the point that I have them in my head (Blade). Feel free to add more, as I'll likely go down the list and start back up again.

Current List:
1. Arveene Dragonspear [Spoiler](LG Human Cavalier) 2h Sword, Spear, warhammer, bastard sword, longsword etc

This one is fairly straightforward, and a regular take on my main character throughout these games. Plus, with Dragonspear coming out, I want her namesake ready to go for its release.[/Spoiler]

2. Aundrea Dragonspear [Spoiler](NG->NE Blade) Longsword and either Crossbow or Dagger

I love the concept of blades, and fighter/mages in general but I hate multiclassing. There will be a question regarding this character in the following post, but suffice to say, she's definitely starting good. By the time she reaches the trials in hell though, I see her going evil, just because she wants the sword blackrazor. Poor girl has a thing for pretty swords[/Spoiler]

3. Lia [Spoiler]My elven archer that I've sworn to beat the game with one day. One issue I've had with her is convincing myself why I'd give up my BGEE longbows for the shortbows in BG2EE. That's always been the one thing that's stopped me, having to relearn bows in a new game =([/Spoiler]

4. Zippo [Spoiler]She fancies herself a wannabe war wizard from Cormyr. DEFINITELY an invoker[/Spoiler]

5. As yet unnamed cleric [Spoiler]Prolly of helm, although this might be one of the rare times I multiclass. If so, it'll be a dwarf.[/Spoiler]

6. As yet unnamed assassin [Spoiler]It'll likely be either an elf or a shorty, but never underestimate my love of stupidly playing humans.[/Spoiler]

Other than that, the only limitations I'll be putting on myself is no re-loading. So when ole-Minsc dies, it's so long until BG2 =( And as I said, if a character dies, it'll be moving on to the next on the list. As far as difficulty, I haven't decided if I'm going to go for the hardest, or just stay on core.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
JuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    For my blade, one issue I consistently have is starting weapons, and also how long I should take until I let myself get 2 pips in TWF:

Example: I've tried Longsword + Dagger + starts with her before, but I became so irritated in carrying around throwing daggers, I just started going into melee long before I should have.

My usual preference is Longsword + Crossbow + Here I feel like I should be putting a point into Single Weapon Fighting at level 4, both for RP and for general purpose. It'll allow me to consistently switch to my crossbow early when I need to, but also, it'll increase my crit when I do go into combat. RP wise, you need to understand, if not master the art of fighting with 1 weapon before fighting with 2. That said, that would mean that I wouldn't be gaining TWF until at least level 12 in BGEE (Which in and of itself, prolly isn't a bad thing considering straight bard thac0).

So my question is:
    Do I go Daggers or Crossbows, and then at what point should I start investing points into TWF (Min/Maxing not exactly required here. If you feel I should put 2 points into SWF first, then explain why).

And away the discussion goes..........I hope.

-Actual Dragonspear
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    First of all, I've edited the OP so that reactions could work properly.

Second. How are the runs and trials going?
    lolien
    My blade just got to Nashkel yesterday and hit level 3 upon entering. I've been kinda waffling, between league and work, and a severe case of restartitis.

For example, I'll be changing Arveene to a Undead Hunter instead of a Cavalier, which I'm sure has nothing to do with blowing through Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time hen I'm not gaming.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    @bengoshi

Speaking of my undead hunter, do you know any way that I could give it a clerical progression for Turn Undead instead of the normal paladin progression?
    T2avlolien
    @bengoshi

Thinking of changing things up some. Might run a Fighter/Cleric with the canon party, simply since it's lacking the amazing powers of cleric in BGEE. I figure in BG2, I have Aerie (Minsc needs a witch), and doesn't she have like special stuff with Haer'Dalis?

Then I could also make my Blade neutral ish, and play it as a "you died, and you got chunked, you stay dead." I don't know, Blade just currently feels SLIGHTLY off in the Canon party. Even though it feels right overall. Might be because I'm getting kinda bored of 6 ranged combatants atm.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    While I am keeping my fighter/cleric save (currently in cloakwood), I think I'm going to go back to my NG Blade for my canon party. Without going evil though. I miss using Swords. Also, I'm likely going to start up my elven assassin before work tomorrow, for the evils.

lolienJuliusBorisov