Skip to content

Mod recommendations for BG:EE, please

xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
Dear everybody,

I know BG2 by heart, but I have not really played BG. I tried once, but I found it rather boring (too much walking around). However, now with the new adventure coming up, I decided to give it another chance and bought BG:EE. Since I have immensely enjoyed many of the BG2 mods, I would like to add some of the best ones to my BG:EE as well. But I have absolutely no idea what they might be. Would someone care to help me out a bit?

I know this is a matter of opinion, of course. So let's just say this: I enjoy SCS, although not at its wackiest and most difficult. AI fixes are very welcome. My favorite NPC mods are Kelsey, Amber and Isra. Keto talks too much and suffers from badly designed undroppable items that have no use. I very much enjoy the better quest mods, like Unfinished Business.

Dark Horizons seems interesting. Is it any good? Is there any general consensus on what are the best BG:EE compatible mods?

I suppose someone like @elminister might have something interesting to say about this.

Thanks!
MusignySmilingSword

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I can't play without BG2tweaks.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    SCS for BG1 is generally more manageable than in BG2. Dark Horizons comes with a boatload of overpowered items that trivialise the main game. Not recommended for a first playthrough. BG1 has no real banters, so install the NPC project if you want your dudes to talk. There's also a BG1 version of Unfinished Business.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    If you haven't played the unmodded EE version yet, then you shoud try it first.

I like Unfinished Business for BG1 which is made compatible with the EE version, thanks to @AstroBryGuy.
    I also like to add a few components from BG2 tweaks, it can be used on the BGEE version.
    Stratagems v30 to increase the difficulty.
    JuliusBorisov
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited August 2015
    @Musigny: Indeed, I thought about playing it unmodded first, because it would be good to see what just the original game contains. But I'm almost certain I won't have the stamina to play it twice, so...

@Glam_Vrock: Well, the overpowered items certainly don't sound appealing! If anything, I would like the game to be harder, not easier. (I haven't played it, but with my experience of BG2, it's going to be too easy rather than too hard, if it is either.) The BG1 version of Unfinished Business sounds good, though! It's well done, then?

I was also wondering whether Dragonspear will simply not work, when it arrives, if I have a modded game...
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I can list the mods I have for BG:EE in case any of them strikes your fancy.

BG1 NPC Project
    BG2 Tweaks
    BG1 Mini Quests and Encounters
    Isra BG1 NPC
    Rogue Rebalancing
    Sword Coast Stratagems
    Neera Expansion
    Tenya Thermidor NPC
    White NPC
    Sirene NPC (my own creation ^_^)
    JuliusBorisov
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Artemius_I: Thanks for that. Strangely enough, I'm not sure at all about the NPC mods, because it seems that there are more than plenty already in BG! I actually didn't realize there were THAT many of them in the original game.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    edited August 2015
    There are a bunch of them - but BG did not have "banters", and the NPC content is rather light when compared (vanilla BG with vanilla BG2). So really if you are expecting BG2 vanilla-level interactions, you are going to want BG1NPC. And given your screenname, you probably want Xzar and Montaron to actually have some interesting content to explore :)
    Musigny
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovArdulBrer_Rabbit
  • PeLLeT_RSDPeLLeT_RSD Member Posts: 55
    Here is my list installed in order:

1- NPC MOD installer (alpha 6)(Mod version 1.7) to give kits to vanilla NPCs
    2- More Style for Mages WeiDU Install v1.42
    3- Deidre and Joluv in BGEE
    4- bg1npc project
    5- bg1npcmusic
    6- divine_remix-v8beta to give Branwen and Viconia some new kits. I did not add new spells nor installed the sphere system
    7- BG1 Unfinished Business
    8- Rogue Rebalancing
    9- Wizard Slayer Rebalancing
    10- BG2 Tweaks
    11- Swordcoast Stratagems
    12- aTweaks
  • PeLLeT_RSDPeLLeT_RSD Member Posts: 55

@PeLLeT_RSD are the "kitted Viconia and Branwen" components of DR working for you? Some people have reported bugs, and I identified a problem in the code which I posted over at Gibbs3. (Camdawg has been MIA for a while, so my fix was never incorporated into the mod. And I can't link to the discussion of the fix because Gibbs is down :( )

Anyway, this is just to note that, if anyone *does* have trouble with those DR components, you can use Scales of Balance to do the same thing. Install DR kits, install SoB, and press 'n' until you get to the Viconia and Branwen components, and install them. The code is more-or-less exactly the same as DR's, except for the above fix.

Thanks!

I just started a new playthrough and don't have any of them yet. I'll recrute them and test it out.