Skip to content

Weapon Proficiencis for my Solo Gnome Fighter/Mage

Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
Hey guys,

i plan a solo run with a neutral evil Gnome Fighter/Mage through the entire saga (BG EE - BG2 EE TOB).
In BG EE i was patient and rolled the following stats:

Strength: 18/92
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 14 (+3 tomes from BG EE + 1 Point from the Machine from Lum the Mad for the 18 Wisdom because wish spell is a thing i guess)
Charisma: 8

My Weapon Proficiencis at the start of BG EE are 2 pips in Scimitar and 2 pips in Two Weapon Style.

My question is which other weapon proficiencies i should take? Have you any advice for me?

My original plan was:

2*Scimitars (for Belm)
2*Longsword (for Blackrazor, Agurvadal and Equalizer)
2*Flails (for Flail of Ages +5 BUT i heared that there is the annoying free Action effect that prevents from haste. Is there any way to avoid this? Does switching to another weapon solve the Problem in the Patch Version 1.4.0?)
2*Warhammers (for Crom Faeyr and the Brick+2 because i need some sort of range weapons but i dont know if the brick is good or not. Have you experience with that weapon?)
3*Two Weapon Style

Ok i hope you can help me with my questions about the right proficiencis, the Flail of Ages+5 and the prefered ranged weapon.

Wutan

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Can just leave FoA as a +4 version which is still really good and by the time you can upgrade it to +5 you'll have plenty of whirlwinds anyway.

The Brick is good but for a ranged weapon but I'd prefer Melfs Minute Meteors, Shortbow of Gesen or Firetooth.

As far as proficiency order goes I'd get flail as your next pips to give you a blunt option in bg1 and to be ready to use FoA +3 as soon as you start bg2.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Only put pips into weapons you want to have in your main hand. The important boost happens at the second pip which comes with an extra 1/2 attack for fighters. The first pip only helps your thac0.

Put the third pip in two weapon style at level 3. The nice thing about the third pip is the +2 you get to your offhand weapon offsets the -2 penalty warriors get when using a weapon you don't have pips for yet. That one pip can offset the penalty for multiple weapons.

For example in BGEE you can offhand the Stupifier mace or the Dagger of Venom or the Albruin bastard sword depending on who you're fighting. You didn't waste any pips since you don't plan to main hand any maces, daggers or bastard swords, and your thac0 penalty is just -2. To get the same result with only two pips in two weapon style you would have a pip in all three.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Flails
    Always Flails for the Flail of Ages +3 which can be found ridiculously early and has the op no save slow on hit + elemental damage to disrupt spellcasters with stoneskin.
    luskan said:

Only put pips into weapons you want to have in your main hand. The important boost happens at the second pip which comes with an extra 1/2 attack for fighters. The first pip only helps your thac0.

Put the third pip in two weapon style at level 3. The nice thing about the third pip is the +2 you get to your offhand weapon offsets the -2 penalty warriors get when using a weapon you don't have pips for yet. That one pip can offset the penalty for multiple weapons.

For example in BGEE you can offhand the Stupifier mace or the Dagger of Venom or the Albruin bastard sword depending on who you're fighting. You didn't waste any pips since you don't plan to main hand any maces, daggers or bastard swords, and your thac0 penalty is just -2. To get the same result with only two pips in two weapon style you would have a pip in all three.

Yes but overall do you really need that third pip? By the time you get into bg2 you're attacking only once or twice per round with your offhand compared to 3 to 8 times with your mainhand. The important pips are clearly the first 2, not the final one.

You do make an interesting point mind you.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I would consider Katanas for celestial fury and Dagger for Dagger of venom in bg1 and Firetooth in bg2 as far as pips are concerned
    As for the wish spell I could not find on the net how exactly it works so I will let someone better informed than I am provide an in-depth answer, but I know 18 is enough wisdom. However I could add one thing, you can get an extra wisdom point picking the good choice in the Sarevok encounter in the Hells in BG2, and that one can be roleplay in a neutral evil playthrough (it is all about being angry, and one can be evil and very cold-blooded, that would fit neutral evil)
  • Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate that.
    I think i have many Options which i can go for as far as dual builds goes but i would prefer this builds:

1. CromFaeyr + Belm (Blackrazor or Equalizer for second Mainhand Weapon because of CharmProtection)
    2. Flail of Ages+4 (because i want the option of GWWA and the IH+CS-Combo) + Belm

The only reason i invest pips in Longsword is the CharmProtection. I would love to invest points in Katanas because i love Celestial Fury but i think Protection from Charm is really usefull. I could go for 1 pips in Daggers for the throwing ones. With Improved Haste and Belm as Offhandweapon i can reach the 9 APR.

What do you think? Should i go for Longswords or Katanas?

@Arunsun Yes i can Roleplay that pretty good with the neutral evil Alignment but i dont know if 19 Wisdom is better than 18 for wish. And with the other option i get +2 Strength.
    18 wisdom is the highest useful number for wish so stick with 18 and boost that strength!
    Not sure if I read what you intend correctly but you cant equip a throwing weapon and an offhand Belm to increase your thrown APR.

Helm of Charm Protection, Spell Turning, Spell Immunity: Abjuration and that cute small shield with immunities are all better ways to avoid being charmed.
    @Wowo ok i didn´t know that. Should i rather use Melf´s Minute Meteors than the dagger as a ranged weapon? By using the Shield of Harmony there is too much micromanagement for me^^. I don´t want to use the Helm of Charm Protection because i want to wear the Helm of Balduran. I think i go with the Spell Immunity: Abjuration and Spell Turning. Btw which Spell Level is Spell Turning? 4 or 5? I never used that spell.
    Wutan1988 said:

@Wowo ok i didn´t know that. Should i rather use Melf´s Minute Meteors than the dagger as a ranged weapon? By using the Shield of Harmony there is too much micromanagement for me^^. I don´t want to use the Helm of Charm Protection because i want to wear the Helm of Balduran. I think i go with the Spell Immunity: Abjuration and Spell Turning. Btw which Spell Level is Spell Turning? 4 or 5? I never used that spell.

There's a variety including:
    Minor Spell Deflection (3rd)
    Minor Spell Turning (5th)
    Spell Deflection (6th)
    Spell Turning (7th)
    Spell Trap (9th)

The helm is the easiest option for the times you're getting hit by a lot of charms that minimises the impact on your offense.
    @wowo ok thank you but i have one more question:

Supposing i have a strength of 22 and would use Blackrazor with Belm wouldn`t this be a better combination damagewise than Celestial Fury with Belm? Overall is the combination of Blackrazor with Belm superior to the combination of Celestial Fury with Belm concerning the additional effects?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    An important thing to note is that BG1 has very few good scimitars. Drizzt has 2, but I understand that Malchor Harpell still takes them from you in EE. Scimitars wouldn't be such a good idea for BG1, so I'd take those proficiencies later, in BG2. Clubs are a good idea for BG1, since the EE Stupifier I hear has a stun effect on hit. Plus, you get several strong clubs in BG2: Gnasher, Blackblood, and the Club of Detonation, which all do rather large damage. There are also good magical weapons for daggers (which also gives you a strong ranged option in the form of throwing daggers), hammers, longswords, and bows.

I'm looking at Blackrazor's file in vanilla (not EE), and the STR bonus is flagged to occur 100% of the time instead of 15%, contrary to the description. If EE fixes that, then Blackrazor's lower base damage and lack of electrical damage should roughly balance out vs. Celestial Fury, since the bonus to STR will be similarly small.

The on-hit effects are another story. Celestial Fury has its famous stun on effect, which offers a save but triggers 100% of the time. Blackrazor can drain 4 levels without save, but that only hits 15% of the time. Usually, the stun will take effect more often. Stun is also usually more useful than level drain, as level drain doesn't actually take away enemy spell slots or weaken their saves etc., like it does to party members. It will, however, permit very rare level drain kills, and render certain enemies vulnerable to (Greater) Deathblow.

I've found that haste effects, like those for Blackrazor, overwrite Improved Haste, which is much more effective. I'd say Celestial Fury will be the better option, and conveniently is found much earlier than Blackrazor.
    ok thank you then i go with katanas instead of Longswords. Yeah Scimitars are rare in BG1 but i am plan my pips for BG2 and i am not a huge fan of clubs. But Stupifier is really good in BG1 thats true.

I suggest this proficiency order will do it:

Start proficiencies in BG1:
    2*Flails (There should be decent ones in BG1)
    2*Two Weapon Style

Fighter-Level 3: +1*Two Weapon Style
    Fighter-Level 6: +1*Scimitars (I don´t need 2 Points here right? Because Offhand-Attack is always 1right?)
    Fighter-Level 9: +1*Katana
    Fighter-Level 12: +1*Katana
    Fighter-Level 15: +1*Warhammers
    Fighter-Level 18: +1*Warhammers
    Fighter-Level 21: +1*Daggers
    Fighter-Level 24: +1*Daggers

I can use 2 Flails through BG1.
    At the Start of BG2 i can use FoA+3 and Belm
    In the middle of BG2 i can use Celestial Fury, FoA+3 and Belm
    At the End of BG2 i can use Crom+Belm

At ToB i can use:
    1. Crom and Belm
    2. FoA+4 and Belm
    3. Fire Tooth for ranged attacks

What are you thinking about this?

• T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    You're small.. Use shorter weapons... Axes, shorts swords, maces, daggers... A long sword would be a twohanded sword for a gnome...scimitars do look good on a shorty though.

Using FoA is so cliche. Think outside the box and do something different.. Scimitar+ dagger combo, shortsword + axes.

To be a Gnome, You must become a gnome!
    Sorry but for this playthrough i want the best weapon proficiencies as far as damage and effects goes because i did not solo a Fighter/Mage before. The only classes that i am soloed before was:

1. Sorcerer
    2. Monk
    3. Inquisitor
    4. Archer

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    I would start with mace. For solo run I would say upgraded mace of disruption is a must in BG2 and you have a good free mace you can pick up in Beregost during BG1 (the Stupefier +1 with 25% chances of stun).

You can get Flail of ages very early in BG2. But in BG1 it takes until Chapter 5 before you can get a +2 flail. So I would not start with that.

Normally I think scimitars are a good choice in BG1, because you can get a +1 wakizashi almost immediately. But I would not recommand for a solo run. There is nothing special in BG1 and belm is not that useful in the long run. In a solo run you will gain whilrwind attack in no time.

For solo run I recommand not using dual-wield from the get go. Protect yourself with a shield and build up specialization in a few various weapons. Early on AC will be more important than an extra attack.

I would start with

Mace:**
    Short bow:**

Then add flail and something else.

• BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Staff ++
    Two-Handed Sword ++
    Two-Handed Weapon Style +
    Longsword ++
    Two Weapon Fighting Style +++

Then whatever, maybe Flail ++
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86

An important thing to note is that BG1 has very few good scimitars. Drizzt has 2, but I understand that Malchor Harpell still takes them from you in EE

Isn't Malchor Harpell only in bg 2? Anyway I recently played through BG1EE and I got to keep the scimitars with no problems.

There's 2 +2 Scimitars in addition to that, one is in Cloakwood and the other I forget but anyway.

What you need to keep in mind is that one of Drizzt's scimitars is only usable by good aligned characters.

---

And I think you can disable Malchor Harpell using the BG2 tweak pack for BG2EE.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    For my solo Gnome F/M I went sword and board. ( Only put one pip in...by accident )
    Not only for AC but any saving throws / arrow deflection. Remember when soloing, all those archers are going to shooting at you ! .
    Your saving throws are already going to be crazy low by the time you leave BG 1. Don't forget the Tome of Con in BG 1 as this changes STs on next level up. Add in Shorty STs....crazy low.
    If it's lvl 3 and lower ( in BG 1 ) and has a saving throw...your probably going to save. ( By the end of the game )
    Especially for annoying spells like web,entangle, just walk around all day in it watching the text scroll by...Saved..Saved..Saved. Charm spell ?.. pffft..not today. ( Dire Charm still works as it has no save )

Currently running a gnome F / M solo in BG2 .
    Having low STs has definitely made a difference. I just don't have to worry about minor annoying spells that allow STs .
    Nothing like getting all buffed and hasted and making a beeline for your next target, and then getting hit by some minor spell like web. leaving you high and dry while the enemy pounds you to dust.

I did take over the Claw ( my precious ) from BG 1 to BG2. Constant Blur ? Why thank you. -3 to STs ? Your too kind.

My vertically challenged warrior is a bona fide killing machine. Either by spell or sword...death is coming.

As for weapon I'm just using FoAs for roleplaying....and it looks cool on my character.
    In BG1 I just used the Stupifier....Captain Caveman !

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Blur should only give -1 to saving throws, and -3 to AC, unless EE changed that. In Spell Revisions, Blur gives -3 to both saves and AC.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    edited August 2015
    Wowo said:

luskan said:

Yes but overall do you really need that third pip? By the time you get into bg2 you're attacking only once or twice per round with your offhand compared to 3 to 8 times with your mainhand. The important pips are clearly the first 2, not the final one.

You do make an interesting point mind you.
    In the long run no, but I recommend it for solo trilogy runs. The goal is to get to BG2 as fast as possible with all of the stat increases and the import items of choice. There are a lot of good weapon types in BG1 that don't hold up in BG2. What's the best APR in BG1 for a fighter/mage, only 3 with haste? That's still 1 attack out of 3 using the offhand weapon with a fighter level 8 thac0. If the OP removes the XP cap in BG2, the cost is nothing compared to the utility you get through the whole saga.
    Wowo said:

Not sure if I read what you intend correctly but you cant equip a throwing weapon and an offhand Belm to increase your thrown APR.

Helm of Charm Protection, Spell Turning, Spell Immunity: Abjuration and that cute small shield with immunities are all better ways to avoid being charmed.

Being solo, using Improved Invisibility makes it so that enemy spellcasters cannot target you, charm or anything else. And you can get level 4 spells in BG1 with a fighter/mage.
    Wutan1988 said:

ok thank you then i go with katanas instead of Longswords. Yeah Scimitars are rare in BG1 but i am plan my pips for BG2 and i am not a huge fan of clubs. But Stupifier is really good in BG1 thats true.

I suggest this proficiency order will do it:

Start proficiencies in BG1:
    2*Flails (There should be decent ones in BG1)
    2*Two Weapon Style

Fighter-Level 3: +1*Two Weapon Style
    Fighter-Level 6: +1*Scimitars (I don´t need 2 Points here right? Because Offhand-Attack is always 1right?)
    Fighter-Level 9: +1*Katana
    Fighter-Level 12: +1*Katana
    Fighter-Level 15: +1*Warhammers
    Fighter-Level 18: +1*Warhammers
    Fighter-Level 21: +1*Daggers
    Fighter-Level 24: +1*Daggers

I can use 2 Flails through BG1.
    At the Start of BG2 i can use FoA+3 and Belm
    In the middle of BG2 i can use Celestial Fury, FoA+3 and Belm
    At the End of BG2 i can use Crom+Belm

At ToB i can use:
    1. Crom and Belm
    2. FoA+4 and Belm
    3. Fire Tooth for ranged attacks

What are you thinking about this?

Looks good, but if you're never going to main hand scimitars then you don't need that single pip since you put the third pip in two weapon fighting at level 3. Skipping that will get you 2 pips in Katana by level 9, letting you maximize Celestial Fury as soon as you get it.