Skip to content

Your favorite moments in Baldur's Gate?

HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
One of my favorite moments is definately at the beginning of "Throne of Bhaal" when you meet your old nemesis from the original Baldur's Gate, Sarevok, and you must make a deal with him and bring him back from the dead... Seriously, when thinking about it.. after all that hard work you did to bring him down in the first game, now you need to bring him back from the dead and work with him? Everytime I hear Sarevok saying; "I live! Flesh and blood and bone! I AM ALIVE! HAHAHAHAHA! I swore I would scratch and crawl my way back into the world of the living, and I have DONE IT!" always gives me goosebumps.

Of course your first encounter with Sarevok in Baldur's Gate and death of Gorion is also very well done. One of the many things that got me hooked to the series over ten years ago.

Is there any story event you enjoy the most in Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• brynbryn Member Posts: 36
    Easily my favourite moment is meeting the crazy gem guy in spellhold, always had me in stitches:
    "many, many prettys... piled high beyond the sky!"
    Love the Irish twang in his voice
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    @bryn
    Yes, meeting the Spellhold residents was one of my favorite moments in SoA. From the moment the Coordinator began speaking, I knew it was him.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Very tricky question. I guess spontaneously I'd say somewhere in chapter 2-3 of BG2. My character has matured and grown in power since BG1, the city of Athkatla is wide open to me, there's adventure everywhere and I have a clear purpose in finding Imoen. It generally strikes me as a nice balance point where my character has been through a lot, but still has the greater part of his epic destiny ahead of him.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    bryn said:

Easily my favourite moment is meeting the crazy gem guy in spellhold, always had me in stitches:
    "many, many prettys... piled high beyond the sky!"
    Love the Irish twang in his voice

Ahhh.. Great. Now Iam hearing that guy's voice inside my head..! :D (Thanks to those constant conversations for the sake of all those gems)
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    first time i played and went west from temple and met vampiric wolf at lvl1 with me and imoen only
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    first time i played and went east from temple and met vampiric wolf at lvl1 with me and imoen only
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    raywind said:

first time i played and went west from temple and met vampiric wolf at lvl1 with me and imoen only

Haha, Oh yes, the first time I ran into that situation, my party got SLAUGHTERED!

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    The first time I played the game, when I defeated Davaeorn and finally got access to the city of Baldur's Gate I was elated. Like yeeesss! Finally getting into the city! I had tried using the Friends spell on the bridge guard to no avail, and scoured the surrounding areas for secret ways in. For months I had been looking at the map of the city that was included in the game box, so I knew there must be tons of content there. And the game was named after the city, after all. It was rather frustrating to be denied access there until completion of chapter 4.

As for combat, there are almost too many great battles to count...

I savor the sense of completion with the cinematics at the end of the game, which is so wonderfully done. The cinematics at the start of each chapter and expansion quest are all a real treat, come to think of it.

I also love the feeling when you hear the first narration at the very start of the game, and when you've just embarked on your adventure outside of Candlekeep, so vulnerable, and with so much to explore.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Solving the Skinner murders and chasing Reijek across Amn. I still really wish I knew exactly how the Twisted Rune was connected to his little operation.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    edited September 2012
    Having a problem with picking a few... so all of it! I guess it would be much easier to write something about my least favourite moments, but maybe after work. Bye bye, for now.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    edited September 2012
    My favourite part was the Drow city in the Underdark.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    In a modded game, being able to see Gorion's body returned to Candlekeep, for the immersion effect of seeing your dead Foster Father returned home.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012
    I liked the part that started from a secluded citadel atop the cliffs and ended in a circular-like thingy with a crazy woman screaming gibberish.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Every time when I got to see merchant after long, long battle-filled road I had:)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    In first Baldur's Gate, my favourite moment ever is first time entering the title city. Don't know why, it just is.

In Baldur's Gate II, it is a dream sequence, in which Imoen teaches you how to count to five...
  • KelesKeles Member Posts: 31
    favorite moment? the very first time I loaded it up and went through the intro. :) ~
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Every narrative sequence beginning with the BG1 Prologue until the end of BG2.
    The narrative was so so SO excellently done! Matched only by the narrative of IWD2, which was beautifully written and voice acted.
    Aside from that.. My favourite moments? Gosh. How many am I allowed?! lol
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    my favorite part is in BG 2 in the underdark I love drow society and it was vary interesting exploring that cavernous world. Even if it was a relatively small part of the game.
  • HeasHeas Member Posts: 54
    There are two quotes carved in my brain, But from Irenicus:

1) I cannot be caged, I cannot be controlled, Understand this as you die, Ever pathetic ever fools.

2)Life... is strength. This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world. But is it what you want? You are... different inside. This woman lives and has strength of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her husband to war, but she persevered. Her farm has prospered, her name is respected and her children are fed and safe. She lived as she thought she should. And now she is dead. Her land will be divided, her children will move on, and she will be forgotten. She lived a good life, but she had no power; she was a slave to death. I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?

I want you to read those quotes, And as hard as you may try, You may not hear them in any other voice than Irenicus's..
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I have many, many favourite bits. It is the little touches I love, such as the monks showing concern after drubbing the assasins in candlekeep, I like it that you can lie and keep it hush, hush. (Gorion also never finds out... right now I'm off to features). I always got a kick out of having Edwin ordering me to kill Dynahier and Minsc begging for the opposite. The power was in my hands...
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 13
    1st post, so hi everyone! =)
    Best moment was when i hold the boxing of bg1 in my hands for the first time and i was totally amazed how awesome its design was. (i was like 12 years old)
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    I think two things stand out. When I first managed to off the ogre with the stolen belts (thank you Khalid!) was a fantastic experience.

Gaining access to Baldur's Gate was, of course, also fantastic. After trotting about in the wilderness for days and being confronted with a large city? *GAHHHH* Where do I go? What do I do? Who should I kill??
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    BG1- The entering Baldur's Gate Cinematic
    BG2- The party teasing "Edwina". I have to admit, I laughed long and hard at that. Yoshimo offering to tailor "her" clothes for her...
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    The Irenicus dreamscape. "Do what you must, become what you must......" All of the dreams, including the Bhaal dream truly added an element to the game.
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    There were many great moments in BG, that is one reason why it is the best RPG ever made IMO.

I remember once I walked into a forest and encountered a kobold, a tasloi and a xvart, named Larry, Darryl and Darryl, and one of them - I think it was Larry - gave me his autograph. That was hilarious.

Oh and I remember the day when Khalid expressed his desire to become a rock star... We were marching through some forest when Khalid saw some standing statues from a distance. He became so excited to see them that he ran towards them like crazy, we couldn't possibly stop him. By the time we caught up with him, he was already accepted as a member of the Rolling Stones. Since he had already chosen career over buttkicking -for goodness- we waved goodbye and continued our journey without him...
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    BG1: When more than half my party declared civil war on each other and Jaheira and Khalid killed both Montaron and Xzar

BG2: I liked the underdark, but there wasn't enough to do there :S So my FAVOURITE moment was when myself, my party and the spellhold residents faced Irenicus. I loved the clone spell as well as seeing more capable mages assist me. I was heartbroken when I found out that I couldn't save them from dying tho :( Besides, that scene ends perfectly with Yoshimo being compelled to fight you to the death.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    @MrOrange Welcome to the forums!
  • fluxcagefluxcage Member Posts: 8
    First day outside Candlekeep: massive vultures (so I thought at the time) circling in the sky. Nothing out here is good. They are coming to kill me. Chills of raw terror, hair standing on end. Click click click, I have to kill them first, but I am helpless, my clicks do nothing. Panic! Run! Don't stop! Keep running! ...

I didn't finish the game my first time playing. A couple of years later, restarting from the beginning, it happened all over again (afterwards I looked around to be sure nobody had been watching).