Skip to content

Translations are under way !

Comments

• KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    edited August 2012
    @Tanthalas the spanish version is delayed and scheduled for ship after the release date. I think it's something to add some drama. The Spanish fans feel cheated and Beamdog are to blame because they announced the release date with that idiom. First version of TotSC was broken and now they loses 3000 lines of text of the Spanish version. Looks like Beamdog is doing a shit with this game...
  • KangaxxDemiLichKangaxxDemiLich Member Posts: 14
    if you need translators for the Italian language, I'd be happy to help.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Kharador
    Yes, the Spanish version will not be ready at launch, and obviously Overhaul isn't happy with that.

But how exactly is it Overhaul's fault that the first version of TotSC was broken? And when exactly did they lose 3000 lines of text of the Spanish version? Like I said already, stop trying to create drama where there is none.
  • LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    I was assigned Spanish Team Leader by @CameronTofer and I feel I have not been up to my assignment. I am very sorry for all the problems with the Spanish Translations I may have caused.

I would like to add some important information for the Spanish Translations and for Spanish players.

@Kharador
    It is in no way Overhauls´ fault TotSC was bugged back in 1999. It is not their fault previous developers never repaired the spanish .tlk file in following patches or boxed editions of BG. And adding to all of this Overhaul probably did not know about the broken TotSC until a Spanish volunteer looked into the spanish doc a month ago.

Spanish was announced as EFIGS and although all other teams (German, Italian, French) have been working great and getting the job done, Spanish Team was missing over 3400 strings from the original content, all of these strings had to be translated from scratch. It just seemed a bit crazy having to translate all of those strings when a Spanish Community had already done the job in an excellent way. Spanish Team had over 30 days to get the job done, Clan Dlan had dedicated over 5 years to the translations.

@Tanthalas
    Spanish Community Clan Dlan have been and still are very willing to share their work for very little (not cash) but due to license problems with Wizards of the Coast it seems very difficult to reach an agreement.

What the Spanish Translations needs is a new Team Leader willing to get the job done as a volunteer. This should be someone who is full of energy and is not afraid of this challenge.
    KharadorCameronTofer
    edited August 2012
    For me Beamdog remains fault. They should have anticipated the failure and should have known better to make improvements. I still think that giving the fans the translation with one month's foresight is a lack of professionality.

In the website they continues to announce the Spanish translation when this is known for some weeks ago.
    What a shame man, and then they say that this "enhance" isn't something commercial? Sorry but I don't think so...

And I mention your words @Lekian for me are extremely insane:
    "Spanish Team had over 30 days to get the job done, Clan Dlan had dedicated over 5 years to the translations."
    Burfiak
    Lekian said:

Spanish Community Clan Dlan have been and still are very willing to share their work for very little (not cash) but due to license problems with Wizards of the Coast it seems very difficult to reach an agreement.

I stand corrected then.

@Kharador

You've complained enough already.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The Spanish translation is neither near nor dear to my personal heart, but I can't help thinking that a language so prevalent would be sorely missed as an option. That said, translating 2400 sentences hardly seems colossal. Which begs a question (I'm actually interested to learn, not throwing stones) : What are the specific challenges with translations for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, and with the Spanish translation in particular.

I realize that the original didn't have a good Spanish.tlk file - what I don't understand is why that is such a barrier.

@reedmilfam

The problem isn't the 2400 sentences, its that those 2400 sentences are in addition to other stuff that they would have to translate.

And speaking personally, unless you have experience doing translations, translating something is a lot of hard work.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    edited August 2012
    @reedmilfam Translating is hard. And time consuming. Most volunteers have social life and/or job to attend.

Of course 2400 sentences would be more feasible if it's paid work and if I had a degree in Translation (which I don't). Plus, there are matters of consistency, specifics vocabulary, subtle meaning, insults (those are hella hard to translate), jokes... Yeah it's hard. But it's a pleasure to serve Baldur's Gate :)
    kangaxxLa_VoixGaryou_Tensei
    @Medillen, I have some experience in translating. I don't, however, think the game will be released in tlhIngan Hol. Qapla'! But, I see your point.

On a related note, how are the translations coming? Excited about BG:EE Japanese!
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    (Native spanish speaker here ):
    I feel its Beamdogs fault for not having the translation ready. I know they had no way of knowing TotSC was bugged but they should have erased it from the initial language list in the FAQ the minute they acknowledged the code corruption.
    @Immortality - it has more to do with "I'm not getting my way, so I blame _____(fill in blank)" than anything concrete, I'd wager. Hopefully, at some point, the language barrier for those hablando español will be crossed. I don't have a dog in the fight. I would love Japanese, so we'll see when that happens!
  • YggdrasilYggdrasil Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, it would be my honor to help you with translation of BG. If you still need someone to help you with Czech language...count me in.
  • ProbeProbe Member Posts: 80
    what means being worked on by PlayUA?
    @Probe

I imagine that it means that the PlayUA group is working on them.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    I find it amusing how translations are always such an important part of a release, yet when I play the game I don't care about them and play in english. Well, especialy when some of those languages don't even know what to call some specific vocabulary/confuse it.
    English really provides the best experience for me even if it's my second language.
    RhulqdahrCrevsDaak
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Can we get pig-latin? Someone probably already said this but I'm too lazy to read 5 pages of posts :-P
    CrevsDaak
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @CameronTofer any updates on PlayUA status (Ukrainian & Russian)?
  • BoinkjumperBoinkjumper Member Posts: 3
    I'll be able to help with the Danish translation
  • MaliceIMaliceI Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to help with Russian translation if you're interested. It will be a good practice for me.
  • BednaRBednaR Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Hi. I would like to help with this and/or BG:SoA, if you need any help that is! I could provide Polish translations as it would be quite easy for me to translate from English.
  • cherrycoke2lcherrycoke2l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,085
    @Bednar – we don't need people for Polish translation anymore (at least if it's about BG1:EE). We're done fixing strings from original game and currently translating content under NDA but we don't need more than four people for it (number we already have). Thanks for the offer though :)
  • BednaRBednaR Member Posts: 2
    I hope I can be of some use for the next part! :D
  • MajiinfreddyMajiinfreddy Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Late Norwegian bloomer here.
    But if you need any translation to Norwegian - I'm here , up for anything to support BGEE!
    Never done anything like this, but I'm here!
  • septicussepticus Member Posts: 1
    i am ready for the turkish.
  • yker36yker36 Member Posts: 1
    If Spanish translation needed I will be more than happy to help.
    @yker36 Spanish translation will be included in the release date (Todo gracias a Clan Dlan menos mal).
    This thread is pretty forsaken by the moderators...
    @Kharador

What exactly do you expect me to do? There's no news about the progress of the translations.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Well, we french translations have been stucked at 75% for quite a long time it seems 8-) ;D

@Kharador I would gladly tell you news of translations, but I signed an NDA contract ^__^

@Tanthalas actually, BeamDog should probably update this thread and redirect to the volunteer subforum. ( Most of the translations teams are full anyway. So it's a bit late ... :) )